Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

This is true, because Galaxy Quest works as a standalone narrative along with commenting on its franchise. In that respect it's similar to better Mel Brooks movies like Young Frankenstein.

Spaceballs is loving amazing what the gently caress is wrong with some of you people holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

piratepilates posted:

edit: gently caress, also the theme!

Really the entire score for the PT is pretty awesome, unless you're that one reviewer who hates John Williams for some reason.

Bongo Bill posted:

The fact of the matter is that Galaxy Quest is much better than Spaceballs.

:agreed:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So hey I've mentioned before that Tumblr really loves TFA.

But I don't know if I've made it clear

just how much

that site

really

loving

loves

TFA

a lot

(I didn't even have to look that hard for PG ones!)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As usual, Star Wars fans have resorted to instigating a meta-discussion about the possibility of discussion, in order to avoid writing about Star Wars.

Here's the issue: in Force Awakens, nobody gives a poo poo that Rey closes her eyes. It's like "eh, whatever?"

In Phantom Menace, Jar Jar steps on a piece of poo poo and it's insanely popular.

There's an immense amount of debate around Jar Jar getting poo poo on his foot. People have debated this for over a decade. Why does the poo poo-joke fascinate, while Abram's "powerful message of faith(?)" draws shrugs? The simple fact is that the poo poo-joke is extremely well-crafted. Lucas is so slick that people don't realize the full extent of the joke, even though it's burrowed into their psyches:

The part where Jar Jar actually steps on the poo poo is just the setup. The punchline comes at the end of the film, when Jar Jar steps on a corpse and it 'springs to life', beginning to fire randomly. This is precisely how Lucas defines "The Force": it is a piece of poo poo that attaches itself to you, terrifying you, indifferent to your concerns.

It is the corpse of your enemy, come to life. And it's a recurring theme:

This is your worst post. First, who is shrugging off Abrams message other than you? You take your own personal opinion and spout it off as fact. What are you talking about that poo poo stepping is insanely popular? Who does it fascinate? Who is all of this nobody that doesn't care about Rey closing her eyes? Stop speaking for everyone.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hbomberguy posted:

You actually don't.

Firstly, if Christ didn't even exist, would that affect the validity of the ideas they describe in the Bible? No. So you can think Jesus never even existed and still believe in ideas ascribed to Christ, just like with Socrates, who may (may) have only ever existed in the form of Plato's teachings. SMG appears to be a Christian for whom the material existence of Christ is an unimportant question compared to the ideas that emerged with him.

Secondly, the divinity of christ (or the validity of the trinity) has been hotly discussed even among those who literally think he existed, for thousands of years. Or are people who disagree with your version of christianity not christians?

Yeah you can believe in the stuff in the Bible says without being Christian. It's, like, how all the religions of the world have a lot to teach, you know, about being excellent to one another. I don't consider myself religious but I am very spiritual. I also love iPods, mason jars, and I just can't figure out why the good lack all conviction and the worst are full of passionate intensity.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

porfiria posted:

Yeah you can believe in the stuff in the Bible says without being Christian. It's, like, how all the religions of the world have a lot to teach, you know, about being excellent to one another. I don't consider myself religious but I am very spiritual. I also love iPods, mason jars, and I just can't figure out why the good lack all conviction and the worst are full of passionate intensity.
You are incorrect.

If you profess a belief in the message of the bible, you are a Christian. You can be a Christian and not think Christ literally existed. You cannot, however, "believe in the stuff in the bible says [sic] without being a christian".

Also, what is wrong with iPods? You seem awfully passionate and intense.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

im happy that this movie came out and that tumblr exists because if you have any empathy at all you can really increase your enjoyment of the film through these crazy tumblrites enjoyment of it. Also a lot of OT stuff is getting love right now too which is also good.

I know that this movie was also basically built to appeal to tumblr, but its still fun to see ppl gush over rey, finn, poe, bb8, hux, & kylo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All six of the previous movies add context that can be used to enhance your enjoyment of The Force Awakens.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

This is your worst post. First, who is shrugging off Abrams message other than you? You take your own personal opinion and spout it off as fact. What are you talking about that poo poo stepping is insanely popular? Who does it fascinate? Who is all of this nobody that doesn't care about Rey closing her eyes? Stop speaking for everyone.

Because you don't care that she closed her eyes? You care that she's using the force and that she's doing the Star Wars thing in a Star Wars movie, there's nothing there beyond that for you. You may as well be a drooling toddler staring mouth agape at the bright pictures on the screen. And that's fine. Its what most self-described nerds really want. They don't want a striped down analysis of their canon. They want their table top rpg since it's not socially acceptable to run around smashing their toys into each other while running around the playground.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hbomberguy posted:

You are incorrect.

If you profess a belief in the message of the bible, you are a Christian. You can be a Christian and not think Christ literally existed. You cannot, however, "believe in the stuff in the bible says [sic] without being a christian".

Also, what is wrong with iPods? You seem awfully passionate and intense.

What's the "message of the bible"?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I just rewatched Revenge Of The Sith in full for the first time since it's theatrical release, and it's astonishing how much better it is than I remembered. It's practically flawless, on a technical level, though it could stand to be funnier.

The highlight of the film is stuff like the battle droid at the start handing the captured Jedi over to Greivous and then going "you're welcome" - and Yoda flying back to his home planet in a tiny egg. I understand that the film is about these fun idiosyncracies being wiped from the universe like Jar Jar was, but nonetheless.

Watching it right after seeing Force Awakens and Empire Strikes back, it's remarkable how 'artsy' it often is. Scenes often play out slowwww and near-silent, accompanied by a droning music.

I scene I'd originally disliked, where Portman stands on a balcony and is lit to look rather ghoulish - I didn't note how it's played for menace, and then immediately cuts to Anakin's nightmare sequence. It's as if they're blurring into eachother. Portman delivers the much-derided "so love has blinded you" line as judgmental as if she suddenly sees right through Anakin. It's a nightmare of sudden, brutal awkwardness.

Anyways, here's a few dope shots.

And here's an example of how Lucas uses the visuals to link Anakin to Windu, paying off the conflict between them. The darkness was inside Windu all along.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 17, 2016

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

porfiria posted:

What's the "message of the bible"?
It's funny - in the space of three posts, you've gone from 'if you are a christian, you HAVE TO BELIEVE that jesus is god!' to 'does the bible even have a message? Isn't it all subjective?'

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hbomberguy posted:

It's funny - in the space of three posts, you've gone from 'if you are a christian, you HAVE TO BELIEVE that jesus is god!' to 'does the bible even have a message? Isn't it all subjective?'

You're getting very close!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

On the contrary, my position has remained the same. Yours has taken a 180.

What is the message of the bible?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface posted:

im happy that this movie came out and that tumblr exists because if you have any empathy at all you can really increase your enjoyment of the film through these crazy tumblrites enjoyment of it. Also a lot of OT stuff is getting love right now too which is also good.

I know that this movie was also basically built to appeal to tumblr, but its still fun to see ppl gush over rey, finn, poe, bb8, hux, & kylo

So what you're saying is that the prequels are Tumblr-resistant, and all the dank childrens storybook images of nazi bishonen loving eachother are inspired by TFA?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

There's nothing much different about the blocking and shots in those two discrete scenes. The issue is not that at some point George Lucas used shot-reverse-shot and simple blocking at some point in the prequels. The issue is that in the he vastly overuses it, and uses it in situations it isn't appropriate, to the detriment of the scenes and the film generally.

Yes, those scenes are composed in a very similar fashion, if we're looking at them without context. First, there are many many more of those scenes in the prequels than there are in the original trilogy, and specifically many more in Attack of the Clones than there are in A New Hope. But more to the point, looking at these particular scenes individually, we can see the difference. In the first example, Luke and his family are not in any danger. Nothing of interest has happened to them. Luke basically wants to go to the mall with his friends but grumpy uncle says he's got to do his chores. Whatever. In the second scene, they're talking about how some unknown entity is trying to kill one of the characters, at most a few hours after the last assassination attempt nearly killed her in a giant explosion.

Also, criticizing the background and the set isn't a non-sequitir in this case. They're talking about how somebody is trying to kill one of them and could strike at any time. They are doing this with their backs to a giant window in broad daylight with visible flying vehicles behind them. Also, the character in image #3 previously died and we're just supposed to forget that except it's the whole point of the scene.

But really, even if it was just that scene it wouldn't be all that bad. The problem is it's everywhere. It's hard to think of a single dialogue scene in Episode 2 or 3 which does not have basic blocking and does not have people sitting down or standing still looking at each other, usually filmed in shot-reverse shot. All the important plot points of these films are shot in this way. Talking about Padme's assassination. Finding out about clones. Finding out about Anakin's mother. Anakin talking about his frustrations. Padme telling Anakin she's pregnant. Anakin telling Mace about Palpatine. Anakin swearing loyalty to Palpatine. Obi-Wan telling Padme he;s got to kill Anakin. Every scene is this way. It's lazy direction by an old fat hack who had not directed a film in 22 years. Only deliberate dishonesty could make one deny this.

This post owned and should have got talked about more but it didn't because it completely decimated "points" made by prequel apologists.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This post owned and should have got talked about more but it didn't because it completely decimated "points" made by prequel apologists.

Yet each point has been debunked and countered with paragraphs of analyzing and screenshots, while your response reads like a Fox News pundit declaring a "winner" by citing a post that takes nothing more from the beginning of A New Hope than "Luke was a teen who wanted to go to the mall but his grumpy uncle said no."

Like I said. Drooling toddlers staring at screens in this thread.

Also using "decimated" to describe debating about your toyline fantasy series lol

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Like I said. Drooling toddlers staring at screens

You're a jerk who makes sweeping assumptions.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

So what you're saying is that the prequels are Tumblr-resistant, and all the dank childrens storybook images of nazi bishonen loving eachother are inspired by TFA?

The PT also gets lots of love ;)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They really like Obi-Wan for some reason (the reason is Ewan McGregor), but I don't so I didn't bother finding looking that up. :colbert:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You're a jerk who makes sweeping assumptions.

I don't sweep. I comb.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

They really like Obi-Wan for some reason (the reason is Ewan McGregor), but I don't so I didn't bother finding looking that up. :colbert:

The tumblr gif collages of Obi-wan shrugging off his various cloaks gets me every time, especially when they mix in the anastasia gif

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 17, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BrianWilly posted:

Maybe it's because he kills unarmed, surrendering droids?

(The blue droids are pilots. Throughout that whole sequence, they're stumbling around - terrified - with their hands up.)

This is Lucas' pitch-black satire at work.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 17, 2016

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Revenge of the Sith is downright gorgeous

That first shot in particular showing Padme's funeral :allears:

Maybe it's because he kills unarmed, surrendering droids?

gently caress yeah, Obi-Wan ain't got time for your pathetic cries for mercy. No quarter!

sponges fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 17, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Episode 3 is easily the prettiest Star Wars, and also has a scene where a wookie tarzan-swings onto a giant droid and melts its face off with a grenade.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you can't feel the force you can't be a Jedi, and if you can't be a Jedi I'm preeeeeetty sure the Jedi don't really give a poo poo if your whole sentient species goes extinct.

At some point during Episode 11 I want a tense scene where the leader of the New Reform Jedi has to weigh in on how to best condemn terrorist attacks by Fundamentalist Jedi while never directly acknowledging the Droid Massacre of Mustafar

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The best thing I noticed on rewatching Episode 3 is how Yoda learns to become immortal: "ditch your cloak and hide in the nearest maintenance hatch. If they can't find your body, it means that you're still alive."

This is the honest-to-god G-Canon explanation for how Obiwan vanishes in Episode 4. He just hid in a garbage chute!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

The best thing I noticed on rewatching Episode 3 is how Yoda learns to become immortal: "ditch your cloak and hide in the nearest maintenance hatch. If they can't find your body, it means that you're still alive."

This is the honest-to-god G-Canon explanation for how Obiwan vanishes in Episode 4. He just hid in a garbage chute!

The first time I saw Star Wars as a kid I literally thought Obi-Wan had just cleverly escaped somehow, leaving only his cape behind.

I also thought General Dodanna was the same character as Obi-Wan because apparently I couldn't tell old white dudes with beards apart?????

Anyway those episode 3 screenshots look so good-- that's the kind of prequel content in this thread I can get behind. :v: There's a lot I don't like about the prequels, but I love so much about how they look. Maybe I should watch them again just to appreciate the visuals again, now that I actually own some nice HD copies of them? You know, if I have six hours to spare for some movies I didn't like much the last time I saw 'em.

Also I'm excited for TFA to come out on Blu-Ray so I can go over it with a similarly finetoothed comb. :v: When I watched the OT in HD a few weeks back, I noticed so much stuff I never had before (or had forgotten, maybe).

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's funny because Tumblr also loves Steven Universe, which also features a giant statue the heroes erected of themselves and fortune-cookie-speak, just like Maz.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've started watching Clone Wars and Rebels, and they're both pretty quality shows so far. I'd say Rebels is better because the characters are new and have an interesting dynamic.

It is funny to see just how much the shows point out the anti-droid racism of the Star Wars universe. Obi-Wan refuses to let Anakin rescue R2-D2, telling him "he's just a droid" and only becoming concerned when Anakin tells him he didn't wipe Artoo's memory and he has military secrets (because Anakin is Artoo's friend and sees him as a person). Then in Rebels the droids are forced to go sit at the back of the space-bus. That one was really on the nose.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think the OT and TFA just don't have much of interest to talk about- they're not particularly complex movies and they are at heart kids' movies for manchildren.

I wouldn't say the prequel movies are particularly good, but they are more complex and interesting than pap like most of Return of the Jedi or the entirety of TFA. TFA is more competently made, but very, very simplistic.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It's also because a digital copy doesn't exist yet in high enough definition where you can cherry pick singular shots and juxtapose them against each other, the original movies, or classic film to prove how artsy they are.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

All this stuff about "there's dangerous stuff and they're looking the wrong way" is pretty silly when you're dealing with magic supercops who can see the future. Like, if you can accept on any level the scene where Anakin jumps like, thousands of feet into a random flying car without even giving a poo poo, you have to acknowledge that these guys are, at least in certain ways, very good at being psychic.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

Maybe I should watch them again just to appreciate the visuals again, now that I actually own some nice HD copies of them? You know, if I have six hours to spare for some movies I didn't like much the last time I saw 'em.

Do this and report back. I got the movies on blu-ray and am (slowly) watching them. It's my third time seeing the prequels (one theatrical and one DVD viewing each before) and in some ways it feels like this is the first time I'm really watching them. Episode III is this weekend. :)

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Martman posted:

All this stuff about "there's dangerous stuff and they're looking the wrong way" is pretty silly when you're dealing with magic supercops who can see the future. Like, if you can accept on any level the scene where Anakin jumps like, thousands of feet into a random flying car without even giving a poo poo, you have to acknowledge that these guys are, at least in certain ways, very good at being psychic.

Isn't it pretty much stated in EP1 that the main Jedi power is being able to see the immediate future?
I only remember because even as a kid I thought that pretty much shits all over any telekinesis or laser sword fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They'll occasionally get visions of the future, but they're not psychics. When Anakin jumps out his car in the sky, he trusts in faith that the force will provide him a way to not die.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Isn't it pretty much stated in EP1 that the main Jedi power is being able to see the immediate future?
I only remember because even as a kid I thought that pretty much shits all over any telekinesis or laser sword fun.

They're definitely all prescient, and a lot of their other powers like prophecy and sword fighting are entirely based on this. It is not, however, perfect prescience and the films make it very clear that outside of the extremely near, immediate future force users really don't know poo poo.

I mean, the fact that a Jedi can be shot to death should tell you all you need to know about this power "making GBS threads all over" anything else in Star Wars.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They'll occasionally get visions of the future, but they're not psychics. When Anakin jumps out his car in the sky, he trusts in faith that the force will provide him a way to not die.

In Episode 1, they specifically call out that being able to see ahead in the very short term is what gives them their supposed reflexes. While not specifically stated as prescience, Obi-Wan's training of Luke to block blaster shots boils down to "use the force to guide you, act immediately on this instinct" rather than "detect the droid with your mind and calculate its blaster trajectory and blah blah blah blah" This is also glossing over Yoda's prophecies all over these films.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 17, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Best way to watch each trilogy

PT - still picture
OT - full motion video
NT - animated gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

Best way to watch each trilogy

PT - still picture