Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not entirely true. Buffs and debuffs don't have an MP cost, but they still have the opportunity cost of not just attacking the enemy. In long fights like bosses you definitely want to buff/debuff, but for shorter trash fights it's usually not worth the time, unless it's a really good buff like enthunder when fighting robots.

It's more something I bring up since in other games people look at the cost of debuffs and think "nah, I can get by all these trash mobs without spending that MP"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some people legit want limited resources like MP. I think that's so archaic, and the work-arounds to it like making it "free" or part of the stamina system is so much more interesting and easier to design harder stuff since you'll never run out.

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't like Lightning and I'm indifferent to Fang. Fang has the "latecomer" problem for me. By the time she was playable I already had characters I liked and she was just....unnecessary. On a second playthrough this might be less of an issue, though. I'd be up for using Sazh more though.

I think a lot of people have expectations from other (usually older) games that characters who come in late need some extra effort or work in order to fit into your party. Knowing that I think the dev team for XIII may have swung a bit too hard in the opposite direction, because at least in my experience Fang is the best at everything she does. For me she was a better SEN than Snow, a better SAB than Vanille and a better COM than Lightning (idk how much of this is actually true mathematically speaking, but that was how it felt to me). Fang is ridiculous and the only reasons I've seen people avoid her is that they're attached to Snow as a character or they're fighting Proudclad.

Tae posted:

Some people legit want limited resources like MP. I think that's so archaic, and the work-arounds to it like making it "free" or part of the stamina system is so much more interesting and easier to design harder stuff since you'll never run out.

Some games do it really well, but Final Fantasy isn't one of them. I honestly hope that's one of the changes in the VII remake, post-battle mana regen. Of course they would have to rebalance stuff in order for that to work, but I'd like to think they're doing something to the game besides making it look pretty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not entirely true. Buffs and debuffs don't have an MP cost, but they still have the opportunity cost of not just attacking the enemy. In long fights like bosses you definitely want to buff/debuff, but for shorter trash fights it's usually not worth the time, unless it's a really good buff like enthunder when fighting robots.

Generally unless you can kill a mob in a single attack a single round of buffs will kill them faster than without buffs even on trash mobs. It's usually not necessary but in terms of saving time it's usually faster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Possibly the only useless buff I recently played was Persona 3 Portable where Mind Charge was apparently only giving 2.0 instead of 2.5 attack increase.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

Generally unless you can kill a mob in a single attack a single round of buffs will kill them faster than without buffs even on trash mobs. It's usually not necessary but in terms of saving time it's usually faster.

There are some exceptions, like with very fragile mobs (like wolf-types or grenade-types) or when you get sneak attacks, such as the Behemoth/Wolf exploitable encounter on Gran Pulse.

Honestly the way the game is set up you pretty much always have at least one source of either buffs or debuffs in your party anyway. The party that relies the least on them would be Snow/Lightning/Fang but that party has quite a few weaknesses anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tae posted:

Possibly the only useless buff I recently played was Persona 3 Portable where Mind Charge was apparently only giving 2.0 instead of 2.5 attack increase.

It's still saving you SP.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

Continuity in HP/MP is essentially stamina in dungeon crawlers and games where exploration for save points is a big part of the game design like Souls. It works really well in those types of games because you're rewarded more stamina for game systems mastery. It hasn't been very relevant to FF since the SNES days though so the series could safely remove MP and be fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, MP makes sense in a game where resource conservation is a thing but FF has very very rarely been about that. Cooldowns or non-standard stamina systems are a lot more sensible for the kind of RPGs that FF wants to be.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

NikkolasKing posted:

Bringing it back to XIII though, I really liked that, not only did the two teams have their own special quotes, Snow and Hope also got special dialogue for switching paradigms or when one of them is hurt or whatever. I don't know if every pair has unique dialogue but I'd like to see. I also really liked there was special dialogue for certain boss battles when you switched paradigms.

They do, Sazh and Vanille call each other Old Man and Kid, Lightning encourages Hope and Hope incessantly asks for approval from Lightning after every loving shift, completely undermining that the point of Hope taking point in the Whitewood was to build his confidence. Can't remember the lines for Light/Fang, no Dualcasting meant I wasn't shifting much then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I know Sazh/Vanille and Lightning/Hope had special dialogue because they were the two teams I mentioned. As they were the only two characters together, the devs could put in specific lines.

I just wasn't sure if everyone got this treatment since there's never a point, that I can recall anyway, where Sazh and Fang will definitely be together for instance.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
LR is good and 13 is bad imho

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

edit: wrong thread

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 17, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

AlphaKretin posted:

Is it possible to get a different trade rule for solo mode in the FF Portal Triple Triad app? Diff would make getting the duplicates to fuse to a five star card much quicker.

Why did no one tell me that I completely misinterpreted Card Creation? :negative: You don't sacrifice 10 n star cards to make one n+1 star card, you sacrifice 10 n star cards to make one n star card with jumbled number values. How loving useless. So the only way to get five star cards is to keep duelling the AI until it rarely uses one then beat it while it has better cards than you do and it usually does? gently caress that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I know Sazh/Vanille and Lightning/Hope had special dialogue because they were the two teams I mentioned. As they were the only two characters together, the devs could put in specific lines.

I just wasn't sure if everyone got this treatment since there's never a point, that I can recall anyway, where Sazh and Fang will definitely be together for instance.

Nah, the only duos during the story are:

Lightning/Sazh
Vanille/Hope
Lightning/Hope
Sazh/Vanille
Lightning/Fang
Snow/Hope
Vanille/Fang

Even then, the last one is only for one fight and the first two are before you have access to the Crystarium, so no Paradigm shifting.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

LR is good and 13 is bad imho

Agreed! Still need to finish LR, but the pacing makes more sense, the combat is fun and self-explanatory enough, and the plot is still steaming garbage, but now you can go through it with a pumpkin for a face.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nah, the only duos during the story are:

Lightning/Sazh
Vanille/Hope
Lightning/Hope
Sazh/Vanille
Lightning/Fang
Snow/Hope
Vanille/Fang

Even then, the last one is only for one fight and the first two are before you have access to the Crystarium, so no Paradigm shifting.

Huh, I didn't remember any point when it was just Snow and Hope in combat. Then again, I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm forgetting about XIII.

Thanks for the reply.

And I didn't think XIII had a bad story per se...just not executed that well. I've never played Kingdom Hearts but I imagine XIII-1 is roughly analogous to KH1 in that it existed before they tacked on a whole lot of needless, convoluted bullshit. Big planet run by machine gods, gently caress the machine gods, the end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hope/snow was when hope was going to kill snow for real

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ya'll are making me want to replay FFXIII on the PS3. The 360 version had such an awful frame rate and looked like garbage.

Stop it!!!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Contrary to popular belief you can actually enjoy FFXIII.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Contrary to popular belief you can actually enjoy FFXIII.

i cant cuz my ps3 died

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

And I didn't think XIII had a bad story per se...just not executed that well. I've never played Kingdom Hearts but I imagine XIII-1 is roughly analogous to KH1 in that it existed before they tacked on a whole lot of needless, convoluted bullshit. Big planet run by machine gods, gently caress the machine gods, the end.

Nope the mythos came first, that's why they announced it as its own series

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, FFXIII having a big shared mythos was a central part of what they announced for it. Versus XIII and Agito were both part of the same and (as stupid as it is) there is a lot of stuff in the Ultimania and such which clarifies they had (some of) this stuff planned in advanced. It was bad execution.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
13 had a lot of neat, subtle world building in the cie'th stone flavor text. It feels like they ran out of money or sense or thought it wasn't obvious enough so Type-0 and 13-2 had a race over which could machine gun out the universal plot beats and themes faster.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the fridge posted:

i cant cuz my ps3 died

you can because it's on pc

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

13 had a lot of neat, subtle world building in the cie'th stone flavor text. It feels like they ran out of money or sense or thought it wasn't obvious enough so Type-0 and 13-2 had a race over which could machine gun out the universal plot beats and themes faster.

The problem they had with world-building and making the whole place feel like a living setting were engine issues, as we've talked about a lot. The engine just couldn't render something even resembling a town with multiple characters without making GBS threads itself pretty badly. As a fan of "talking to silly pixel people"-style world-building, it killed all the world-building for me personally.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

The White Dragon posted:

you can because it's on pc

i don't own a pc!!!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i don't own a pc!!!!!!!

What in the world happened to your avatar?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

What in the world happened to your avatar?
I think we're thinking of two different Corn in the <etc>

i don't own a pc!!!!!!!
then how are you posting :ghost:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

then how are you posting :ghost:

Here in the modern era, we have things called smart phones....

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think my refridgerator can access the internet

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Currently posting from an exercise bike

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Nope the mythos came first, that's why they announced it as its own series

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, FFXIII having a big shared mythos was a central part of what they announced for it. Versus XIII and Agito were both part of the same and (as stupid as it is) there is a lot of stuff in the Ultimania and such which clarifies they had (some of) this stuff planned in advanced. It was bad execution.

My bad then. I still think XIII works better as a standalone game. Pretty much zero of the developments in either sequel have any relation to what happened in XIII. Somebody mentioned worlbuilding, well there's hardly a world to build in the XIII Trilogy because XIII mainly takes place on Cocoon, XIII-2 takes place on Pulse and XIII-3 takes place in a weird new dimension thing that didn't exist until XIII-3.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Possible Controversial Opinion: "Labyrinth of Chaos" is a very underrated track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWPdcXm0Iw

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's a very good song. Pretty much all songs in XIII-2 are very good.

I still prefer that as a final dungeon to Orphan's Cradle. Music and design both go to Academia 500.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The world to be built in FF13 (and anything branded FNC, it'll be interesting to see if they rebooted 15 enough to excise all that baggage) is the multiverse. And its that from the start in 13, even if its in completely optional flavor text on cie'th stones. But I guess I can understand being bummed out by being drawn in because of this cool flying moon world and its politics with the ground but actually getting a multiverse soap opera about Bhunivelze, Etro, Pulse, Lindzei, and the Unseen Realm.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It would have been cool if Lindzei was actually the villain instead of a loving prop piece. He's the one behind all of XIII.

My only problems with Etro are:
1. She;s an idiot.
2. Her involvement at the end of XIII kinda cheapens its message.

Otherwise, I'm fine with XIII-2's plot, such as it is. I just never saw this "cosmic" stuff coming.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Another aspect that doesn't come into light until Lightning Finally Returns is that 13 suddenly feels a lot better about it actually being about being chumps to destiny all along, because as it turns out, being Etro's chumps instead of Lindzei's chumps is still awful cause you're still Bhunivelze's chumps by association until you reboot the world with all the rear end in a top hat gods locked in negative zone.

FNC is such a glorious train wreck but its been a good run and I hope we don't get more of that nonsense in 15.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I kind of liked Etro as a concept. You get good gods and evil gods and absent gods and gods who aren't really gods all the time, but it's not often you see a god who just doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing. Etro's a well-intentioned idiot who had no understanding of how human mortality or compassion worked and her haphazard "gifts" always made things worse in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Upon re-reading the Final Fantasy X-2 LP, I can't help but notice that there's a line in the game that really sums up the X-2.5 novel pretty well.

On another note, I've heard that Explorers likely won't have a demo due to that killing Japanese sales? If so, that's a shame. I hate buying games blind. But this game does have Blue Mage, so I am sorely tempted. Maybe I'll take a leap of faith.