Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a good amp, Yamaha stuff is generally very nice and underrated. I'd say its worth keeping.

I can't seem to find the specs. but power consumption is 180W, so I'm guessing it's 2x35W or thereabouts.

It's also got Yamaha's very nice variable loudness control. As far as I can remember, you set the loudness to "flat" and then dial in the volume knob to the loudest volume you're going to play at. Then you use the loudness knob to actually adjust the volume from then on. It works by adding more loudness compensation (basically more bass and treble) the lower you play, which is how proper loudness compensation is supposed to work*. That's why the knob goes from 0 to "flat".

However, I may be misremembering exactly how it works, the point is that it works so much better than a simple button. You basically dial in actual volume and perceived loudness separately.

Nope, that's all correct.

Yamaha gear owns bones, their circuit design is super legit, and their '70s industrial design language is a lot more timeless to me than what a lot of their contemporaries were doing (more Tivoli Audio than, say, Sansui's Xanadu madness).

In fact, their current line of 2-channel integrated amps and receivers (which I can't recommend enough, but buy them from someone other than Yamaha to save a few hundred off of MSRP) were basically designed as "we brought the CR-xxx lines from the '70s into the 21st Century" and the family resemblance is gorgeously strong, inside and out. Also the signature loudness knob works the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, but it's a real shame they don't do a preamp with that loudness knob. Or at all, it seems.

It would be very nice for my active speakers.

I use the tone controls and bypass function on my NAD, but it's just on/off instead of being variable. It's OK, but not nearly as nifty.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 30, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I bought my first reel-to-reel today at Goodwill: A Craig 2402

It's in rough shape and it's missing the speakers, but it does seem to work. That is, the reels turn and it produces sound. The tape it came with sounds really weird. I can't tell if it's slow, or backwards, or two tracks on top of each other or what. I'm probably not even using this thing correctly.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Incomplete Fish posted:

I have a Technics SL-1300 that was bought new and pretty much sat there since 1975.

The issue I'm having with it is that when I use the automatic start the needle falls short of making it to the record; it'll be placed down in such a way that the cartridge makes it to the record, but the needle scrapes along the side of it and isn't actually on the surface, like 2 or 3mm away from where it should be. I've been dealing with this by pushing the cue lever up and placing the needle on the edge myself but it would be nice to use the automatic start feature of this player.

Go to vinyl engine and download the service manual. You have to remove a plug or cover and adjust a screw, iirc.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Is the Audio Technica LP120 still the go-to as far as Babby's Second Turntable goes? I'm looking for something that will last me quite a while, looking to drop about $250.

My local vinyl shop carries the Orbit U-Turn basic for $200, and told me it's a good step between the LP60 and 120. Anyone know anything about that brand? I don't need USB, so the 120 might be a bit overkill for me?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's the deal with spelling baby wrong? I don't get it. Or an adult talking about buying baby's first anything unless it's actual baby stuff. Am I the only one who thinks that's completely weird in an icky, not fun way?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's from an old SA weekend web when a poor clueless man dared to ask "how is babby formed?"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

It's from an old SA weekend web when a poor clueless man dared to ask "how is babby formed?"

That was like 12 years ago. Is it still funny? It just comes off as weird.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I would get the 120 because I am a direct drive fan.

Still find babby funny, let's run this poo poo into the ground, etc.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
My turntable suddenly started spinning way too slow. I took the platter off, readjusted the belt, nothing was working. For no reason, I decided to wiggle the belt pulley a little bit and tried again and now it's fine. Is everything OK, or am I or my turntable going to die soon?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

U.S. Barryl posted:

My turntable suddenly started spinning way too slow. I took the platter off, readjusted the belt, nothing was working. For no reason, I decided to wiggle the belt pulley a little bit and tried again and now it's fine. Is everything OK, or am I or my turntable going to die soon?

How old is it? The pulley or motor shaft probably got momentarily gummed up by something. Probably could use some fresh lube. That stuff can get crusty/pasty as it ages.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
:siren: poo poo just got real you guys :siren:

http://www.technics.com/us/introduction/hifi-direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200gae/

Technics posted:

Due to the widespread use of CDs, turntable systems disappeared briefly from the market, but their warm sound quality is bringing them back. The direct-drive turntable invented by Technics is still highly acclaimed by audiophiles and DJs in the form of the SL-1200 Series, and there have been many requests to revive the turntable system. As such, we decided to develop a new system for Hi-Fi use. Here we provide an outline of our intent in this development.

Direct-drive is generally considered to be for DJ use, and belt drive is for Hi-Fi use. In the 1970s, when Technics invented direct-drive turntables, their performance and reliability were first recognised by broadcast stations. High acclaim was then received by audiophiles. The high-precision rotation and absence of S/N ratio degradation were particularly attractive to these users. The high torque and reliability of direct-drive were recognised by DJs, and direct-drive turntables became the standard in the club scene.

When developing a direct-drive motor, considerable capital investment is required for large-scale production equipment. In contrast, belt drives can be made with a little cost. Also, compared with direct-drive, belt drive was designed with the latest technology. The view remains that direct-drive is for DJ use and belt drive is for Hi-Fi use. Originally, direct-drive offered superior sound quality. If we redesign the direct-drive motor and control circuitry, we will be able to create a turntable that is superior to other systems.

Technics was also a leader in incorporating innovations, such as vibration-damping materials, cabinet construction, and insulators. Having inherited the DNA of Technics, we do not wish to merely make a replica of the SL-1200.

In other words, our intent in this development is to redefine the direct-drive turntable reference.

Specification:
All New Design for Redefining the Direct Drive Turntable
Twin-Rotor Surface-Facing Direct Drive Motor
Direct Drive Motor Controller
High Sensitive Tonearm
Brass-Top Turntable Platter
Insulator
Technics Definitive Design
Inherited SL-1200 Series
Heavy Aluminium Top Plate
Turntable Speeds
33 1/3 rpm, 45 rpm, 78 rpm
Variable Range Pitch
±8%, ±16%
Dimensions & Weight
W: 453 mm (17-27/32 inch) H: 170 mm (6-11/16 inch) D: 372 mm (14-21/32 inch)
Approx. 18 kg (39.7 lbs ) *Tentative *Height including dust cover
Terminal
Phono Output x 1 / SIGNAL GND x 1

50th Anniversary Limited Edition available summer 2016

I can't expect this to be anything but expensive.

Obviously the Limited Edition ones will be but I can't imagine that the "standard" version (yes, there will be a standard version. Panasonic didn't make a big to-do about how belt-drive is cheap to innovate on while advancing the direct-drive state of the art requires lots of upfront investment to only release an ultra limited run of an already niche product) will go for less than $900- just based on the rest of their 'Grand Class' line and the apparent fanciness of that twin-rotor motor setup (it is a fancy looking thing, that's for sure).

At the same time, this is Panasonic, and if their talk of development/manufacturing costs vs. demand (both now and when they first shuttered the line some years ago) is to be believed, then they have to be after at least ProJect-level sales numbers, which means that they couldn't possibly price it too far from what the Mk. V's went for new.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Speaking of direct drive, a good friend of has a Technics SL-D2 I was just recently helping him maintain. He had no idea it was actually a worth any money now. Sadly the bottom is mildly shattered, just barely held on and together by the screws. That and the tabs on the dust cover snapped off. Going to try and use some plastic epoxy to get both the tabs and the bottom back together, unless you folks know of something better. I do plan on getting him replacement parts eventually too, but the table works really well so there's not much of a rush. After that it's just missing the 45 adapter which is no problem to sort out.

The really fun part was discovering that a squirrel, mouse, or other small furry creature had been using the insides as a larder/dining room for their scavenged sunflower seeds. Fortunately it was not also the latrine. Thoroughly cleaned everything anyway. As funny as a story about "getting hanta virus from Miles Davis" would be. Between that and the the damage to the plastic I got him to happily promise to never store audio equipment in the garage ever again.

Also, I have his Realistic STA-46 receiver to try and suss out why it's only emitting a buzz out of the left speaker and no other sound. I have a feeling I need to borrow and learn how to use a multimeter and then remember how to solder on boards. But I'm going to pray blasting it with some pot cleaner will do something to help.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How old is it? The pulley or motor shaft probably got momentarily gummed up by something. Probably could use some fresh lube. That stuff can get crusty/pasty as it ages.

Yeah, it's an old Fisher from the 80's. What do you use to lube it? Also, I can hit reject and it will return the arm, but for some reason the auto return on the table doesn't work. I checked vinylengine for a manual, but I couldn't find one. It's a Fisher MT-32, if anybody has any experience with that model.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Captain Blaargh posted:

Speaking of direct drive, a good friend of has a Technics SL-D2 I was just recently helping him maintain. He had no idea it was actually a worth any money now. Sadly the bottom is mildly shattered, just barely held on and together by the screws. That and the tabs on the dust cover snapped off. Going to try and use some plastic epoxy to get both the tabs and the bottom back together, unless you folks know of something better.

I had a broken dust cover hinge that I posted about earlier in the thread. First I tried super gluing it back on, which worked for a few months before breaking again in a different spot. You can fashion some new hinges with aluminum as described here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/technics-dustcover-fix-redux.656267/

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.

Millions posted:

Is the Audio Technica LP120 still the go-to as far as Babby's Second Turntable goes? I'm looking for something that will last me quite a while, looking to drop about $250.

My local vinyl shop carries the Orbit U-Turn basic for $200, and told me it's a good step between the LP60 and 120. Anyone know anything about that brand? I don't need USB, so the 120 might be a bit overkill for me?

My wife got me one of these and it's pretty cool (it looks great and plays nicely, but I really am not an audiophile.)

But I just stopped by to post my new old reciever Luxman R-1050, looks killer, sounds fantastic, $165 + tax at a local antique store.

I was looking for a Marantz like my dad used to have, but this luxman has the coolest look and feel I had to grab it. Anyone have one?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Luxman's rule. Great design.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Luxman's rule. Great design.

Yeah, ditto. I'd keep that Luxman.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.

Chill Callahan posted:

Yeah, ditto. I'd keep that Luxman.

Yeah this thing looks great in my house and sounds terrific. And the tuner is so much better that the crapola one I had.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone use Sumiko Pearl carts? Price is right and the reviews are good but I've never heard one.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Mine is wonderful, but I'll be the first to tell you I am not an audiophile. I'm really only comparing it to my old turn table (Lp-60).

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Scored a pair of Yamaha NS-1000s and a Yamaha CR-1000, really digging the pairing. Although the CR-1000 is kind of ugly, I prefer the looks of the CR-1020 and 2020 I've had in the past.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Scored a pair of Yamaha NS-1000s and a Yamaha CR-1000, really digging the pairing. Although the CR-1000 is kind of ugly, I prefer the looks of the CR-1020 and 2020 I've had in the past.

Still not a bad haul. The CR-xx20 and CR-xx40 lines are definitely the prettiest of the receivers.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

I'd appreciate some advice on what my best option is as a newbie to vinyl. I'm looking at the Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC as my turntable, but I'm kind of stuck on the rest. I'd just like a decent sound that I will be happy with for the short-to-medium term. I don't need massive volume or anything. This is basically just for a small lounge room scenario. Will I be best off with a pre-amp + active speaker combo or should I go the receiver route? I'd like the best bang-for-buck kind of scenario, with sound quality I won't quickly grow to hate. I'm in Australia if that guides recommendations at all. The salesperson in the store I visited was trying to push a AUS$2000+ set-up, but I am sure I can pull of something decent for significantly cheaper! Should I be looking to cough up the most dough for the table and speakers and possibly skimp a bit on the receiver/amp?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Duke Jeffrie posted:

I'd appreciate some advice on what my best option is as a newbie to vinyl. I'm looking at the Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC as my turntable, but I'm kind of stuck on the rest. I'd just like a decent sound that I will be happy with for the short-to-medium term. I don't need massive volume or anything. This is basically just for a small lounge room scenario. Will I be best off with a pre-amp + active speaker combo or should I go the receiver route? I'd like the best bang-for-buck kind of scenario, with sound quality I won't quickly grow to hate. I'm in Australia if that guides recommendations at all. The salesperson in the store I visited was trying to push a AUS$2000+ set-up, but I am sure I can pull of something decent for significantly cheaper! Should I be looking to cough up the most dough for the table and speakers and possibly skimp a bit on the receiver/amp?

I would get a 2-channel receiver and some passive speakers.

How much you were hoping to spend in total? Would you be ok with vintage/used or not? Bookshelf speakers or (small) floorstanders?

The Debut Carbon is a very well-performing TT despite its price and quirks. It's not exactly what I'd call a "short-to-medium term" turntable. You can go cheaper, and often more capable, with something vintage or you could consider the AudioTechnica LP-120 if you'd like exclusively new gear (the 120 also comes with a switchable built-in preamp, although I've heard people complain that it isn't the best).

What's your 'bang/buck' vs 'long-term satisfaction' sliding scale? There are cheap systems that look homely (or are used) but could satisfy you for years. Alternatively, you could spend some more and have a system that could easily last you a decade or longer and look good too.

I know that Australian prices for goods look really different from American ones but I'm 95% sure that you can build a hell of a lot of system for AUS$2000.

Would you like to connect a TV as well? Stereo only or could you picture yourself enjoying some surround-sound movie nights or gaming in the future? I ask because it may make sense to go with a home theater receiver-preamp combo (or find one with a built-in preamp, tho those tend to be rarer and pricier these days).

Finally, turntables aside, buying used isn't the automatic slam-dunk it used to be unless you're an enthusiast, you get some seriously good deals, or you want to spend the absolute least amount possible (also, I've bought some unreliable-rear end used turntables before). There are some very very good, very pretty, and very affordable new amps and receivers on the market today that bring turnkey stability, newness, and built-in modern features like Bluetooth or optical inputs. That said, just about any digital or wireless interface can be cheaply added to a receiver from as far back as the 1970's through the magic of RCA cables and dongles purchased on Amazon.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Thanks for the helpful guiding questions!

From my continued research I did end up deciding to go the receiver route anyway. I've been browsing for used gear since my previous post. I was mostly leaning towards new for the convenience, but on second thought I'll have to research every piece of gear either way. I'm happy with either new or used.

Definitely bookshelf speakers. I think on reflection I'll put the balance in favour of "long-term satisfaction" slightly over "bang for buck". If I could get a solid 4-5 years of happy listening before wanting/needing to upgrade, that would be great. I don't see myself ever becoming utterly obsessed over minutiae like the audiophile crowd. I just want to put on my Beatles records and have them sound pretty darn sweet and feel like they're being done reasonable justice.

My budget is definitely closer to AU1000 than AU2000, but somewhere in the middle is okay.

Don't care about TV/surround sound hookups. Just a nice little stereo system for my vinyl is all I need right now. Bluetooth would be a nice addition, but as you say, I'm more than happy to add that in later if I end up with vintage gear.

Regarding speakers, Dali Zensor 1's caught my eye in my reading, they seemed favourably reviewed. I'd like a neutral sound, I have no desire for punchier bass or anything. Would I be on the right track with those, or are there go-to bookshelf speakers for beginners who are budget conscious but still happy to cough up a little bit more than just the bare-bones options? I hope I'm not being too vague.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Thanks for the helpful guiding questions!

From my continued research I did end up deciding to go the receiver route anyway. I've been browsing for used gear since my previous post. I was mostly leaning towards new for the convenience, but on second thought I'll have to research every piece of gear either way. I'm happy with either new or used.

Definitely bookshelf speakers. I think on reflection I'll put the balance in favour of "long-term satisfaction" slightly over "bang for buck". If I could get a solid 4-5 years of happy listening before wanting/needing to upgrade, that would be great. I don't see myself ever becoming utterly obsessed over minutiae like the audiophile crowd. I just want to put on my Beatles records and have them sound pretty darn sweet and feel like they're being done reasonable justice.

My budget is definitely closer to AU1000 than AU2000, but somewhere in the middle is okay.

Don't care about TV/surround sound hookups. Just a nice little stereo system for my vinyl is all I need right now. Bluetooth would be a nice addition, but as you say, I'm more than happy to add that in later if I end up with vintage gear.

Regarding speakers, Dali Zensor 1's caught my eye in my reading, they seemed favourably reviewed. I'd like a neutral sound, I have no desire for punchier bass or anything. Would I be on the right track with those, or are there go-to bookshelf speakers for beginners who are budget conscious but still happy to cough up a little bit more than just the bare-bones options? I hope I'm not being too vague.

The Zensor 1 is a great speaker.

Some ideas given your stated budget range:

Turntable:

Debut Carbon DC- $599 AU
Audio Technica LP-120- $300-500 AU

Amplifier:

Yamaha AS501 (85 WPC)- $800 AU
Yamaha AS301 (60 WPC)- $600 AU
Onkyo A950 (75 WPC)- $500(?) AU

Speakers:

Dali Zensor 1- $350
Usher S520- $500
Monitor Audio MR2- $400-600?

Other connectivity:

Apple Airport Extreme (iOS Airplay)
Google Chromecast Audio

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Just a nice little stereo system for my vinyl is all I need right now.

Are you at least slightly handy? I don't know what the market is like in AUS, but in the US, you can get a good, 40 year old turntable for $100 or less. I think the general advice is to either buy a new, expensive turntable; or an old turntable with good reviews online that might need some tuning. Electrical contact cleaning, lubrication, new belt, new cartridge/needle, maybe new capacitors. Nothing too expensive or hard, and you save a couple hundred bucks that you can spend on something else.

Don't buy a new, cheap turntable.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

I'm probably handy enough to figure out most of those things, sure. The Australian market is definitely a bit smaller than the US/EU, though.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Amplifier:

Yamaha AS501 (85 WPC)- $800 AU
Yamaha AS301 (60 WPC)- $600 AU
Onkyo A950 (75 WPC)- $500(?) AU

Thanks for all the recommendations. Regarding amps, I've come across an Akai AA-1050, recently serviced, for AUD $330 (230 USD). Reviews indicate this is a solid receiver, I'm just curious about whether the price is right. Sounds like they go even cheaper in the USA and Europe. Should I expect a 35+ year old piece of gear to require more maintenance over time? I certainly like the aesthetics of it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is there an affordable American made turntable that's worth owning? Late 60s/early 70s preferably.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Is there an affordable American made turntable that's worth owning? Late 60s/early 70s preferably.

Acoustic Research turntables are pretty nice and aren't too expensive.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Chill Callahan posted:

Acoustic Research turntables are pretty nice and aren't too expensive.

I thought they were English. Perfect, thanks!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Picked up a Technics SL-23 in very good condition cheaply, but it didn't come with a headshell. Didn't think this was a problem. Was then gifted a Linn K9 cart in [supposedly] good condition, but that came with no fixing bolts. Didn't think that was a problem.

Got everything delivered and of course now I realise that I can't play records without a headshell or bolts to attach the cartridge.

What do I need to finish my setup? As I have never even touched the finer points of a turntable before, what type of headshell do I need? What length bolts? Will I need a stylus force gauge or even a Technics overhang gauge to set the cart at the right distance? Spirit level? Many of these can be bought cheaply, but I should have done my homework first (or bought a brand new record player)

Will most likely be picking these things up from Amazon (UK), ebay or where ever is recommended.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You'll need a headshell, the connection used on your SL-23 is the most common type, so any of these will work just fine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=headshell&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aheadshell&qid=1453035475&sort=price-asc-rank

Remember to check whether it comes with leads and screws. Some of the cheaper ones don't include those, so it may be cheaper to get one that includes everything rather than buying stuff separately. If you don't know what to get, just get the Technics one, it's ~£15 and should come with the leads, nuts and screws you need.

Get the overhang gauge as well, it will help you position the cartridge perfectly for any Technics turntable with a removable headshell. They're super cheap and having one makes things very easy. Just line up the tip of the stylus with the notch at the tip of the gauge.

You don't need a force gauge, you can use the indicators on the counterweight to set the stylus pressure. First you adjust the counterweight so the arm is perfectly balanced. Then you turn the indicator wheel to 0 while keeping the weight itself in the same position. Finally you turn the weight so the correct stylus pressure for your cartridge is indicated, probably somewhere between 1,5 and 2,0 grams, but it can vary depending on the cartridge. Adjust the anti-skating on the arm base to roughly the same value.

A spirit level will be very helpful in getting your turntable completely level. Just put it on the turntable platter and adjust/shim the feet until it is completely level.

Something else that will be very nice to have is a carbon anti-static brush, to clear off any dust before you play a record. And possibly something to clean the stylus once in a while, as well. I use a cleaning kit that kinda looks like a mascara bottle. There's a small brush in the lid that you wet with the cleaning solution and drag over the tip of the stylus a couple of times, back to front.

E: Oh, and if your amplifier doesn't have a phono input, you'll need a RIAA preamplifier. Luckily those are quite inexpensive as well.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 17, 2016

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I have a Yamaha CR-820 which needs 'tuned up'. I'm sure it needs cleaned and generally looked over, but a few months ago the sound started kicking itself off shortly after being powered up. The power stays on, the audio just goes out with a 'click. It now does it every time it is powered on, so I can't use it at all. I don't know nothing about electronics and have soldered maybe 2 or 3 times and that didn't go well.

What is my best route for having it serviced? I don't necessarily want to spend a ton, but will pay a reasonable price. Is there somewhere I can send it to to have it fixed, or would I be best trying to find somone in the nearest big city (Columbus Ohio)?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

I have a Yamaha CR-820 which needs 'tuned up'. I'm sure it needs cleaned and generally looked over, but a few months ago the sound started kicking itself off shortly after being powered up. The power stays on, the audio just goes out with a 'click. It now does it every time it is powered on, so I can't use it at all. I don't know nothing about electronics and have soldered maybe 2 or 3 times and that didn't go well.

What is my best route for having it serviced? I don't necessarily want to spend a ton, but will pay a reasonable price. Is there somewhere I can send it to to have it fixed, or would I be best trying to find somone in the nearest big city (Columbus Ohio)?

It's going into protection mode. Unless you're a tech you probably need to take it someplace.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

BigFactory posted:

It's going into protection mode. Unless you're a tech you probably need to take it someplace.

Would it be best to look for a general electronics repairman? Is there a good place online where I can mail it in for repair?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

I have a Yamaha CR-820 which needs 'tuned up'. I'm sure it needs cleaned and generally looked over, but a few months ago the sound started kicking itself off shortly after being powered up.

Does it do this after you've disconnected all speakers and all sources?

One common reason for this sort of behavior is a faulty or stray wire somewhere that connects with the receiver body and causes a short, tripping the protection mode. If the receiver works after disconnecting everything, start connecting stuff back one by one and see when it happens again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

Would it be best to look for a general electronics repairman? Is there a good place online where I can mail it in for repair?

Hob gadling has great advice but if it does need to be repaired by a tech, consider the shipping weight/expense and the risk of major cosmetic damage during shipping.

There's no harm in calling a general electronics repair shop and asking if they service equipment like yours. If it was very valuable or had a lot of sentimental value I might look out a stereo repair shop though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Thanks Hob, I will try that this afternoon. The unit doesn't have any sentimental value, but I liked the sound of it and its aesthetic. I see you can get a working model for $300 or under on Ebay, I guess if nothing else I could sell this for parts and put it toward the new one. Before that though I will try to call some local people. Thanks guys