Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Oh look, it's the RCMP and Toronto police being poo poo again.

quote:

Farah has no criminal record, and in her eight years on the job at United Airways (now American Airlines) she’d never been formally disciplined. She was using her wages, in part, to help pay for her sister’s post-secondary education. When Transport Canada downgraded Farah’s security clearance in February 2014, it didn’t say she had done anything wrong. Officials said they were investigating Farah’s alleged connection to the Dixon Crew, which police describe as a street gang “primarily comprised of Somali males.” Police have not clearly demonstrated any link between Farah, who is of Somali heritage, and the unnamed convicted criminals it called “Subjects A, B, and C.”

The RCMP says two of the three men connected to Farah were passengers in a car leaving the funeral of an alleged gang member in 2014. The car is registered to Farah, but her father is its primary driver. Farah was not in the car when these passengers were spotted. When officials questioned her about the incident, she stumbled to describe an interaction she was not part of. Her hesitation was deemed suspicious and used as evidence against her.

Farah’s father, Mohamed Ali, is a well-respected figure in the Somali-Canadian community. He attends many funerals, and recalls one afternoon in 2014 when he was leaving a funeral, driving the same car identified as carrying “Subject B” and “Subject C,” and was stopped by Toronto police — they never told him why. “They asked me for my license and ownership of the car,” Ali told me in a phone interview — documentation that was later used to ruin his daughter’s career.

The other alleged connection involves another man with a serious criminal history, whom the ministry calls “Subject A.” Police claim they once contacted Farah and the man together in 2011 — no date of the interaction is given, nor any details of the nature, location, or context. Police say “Subject A” told them he knows Farah. However, they won’t identify him, and thus gave Farah no fair opportunity to verify or explain any connection to him.

In October, Farah’s clearance was suddenly restored without any communication from the ministry. “At that time I felt so good, and thought everything was resolved,” she told me this week. But a month later, Transport Canada revoked Farah’s clearance for good. The ministry concluded she “may be prone or induced to commit an act, or assist or abet an individual to commit an act that may unlawfully interfere with civil aviation.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Helsing posted:

Please note how this vintage colour booking teaches you children revolutionary discipline and solidarity with the working class: :ussr:

compare that with this modern colouring book:

Teaching children monarchism, supernaturalism and inculcating a desire for childish escape that will ensure this child grows up to be a slave of international capital.

Open your eyes sheeple!

Actually adult colouring books are the best

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

RedFlag posted:

Apparently never the intention - there was an internal leak to media that forced their hands. Link.

Blame the individual for releasing this. Or the media or jumping on it. Or us for still talking about it.

I sincerely hope that internal investigations comes down hard on the retard that leaked this. Driving home at 6am yesterday and all the radio stations were acting like there was a major terror strike about to go down. Fuckin' 96.9 made a joke about staying away from the mall this weekend.

It's absurd.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Rime posted:

I sincerely hope that internal investigations comes down hard on the retard that leaked this. Driving home at 6am yesterday and all the radio stations were acting like there was a major terror strike about to go down. Fuckin' 96.9 made a joke about staying away from the mall this weekend.

It's absurd.

I remember being really weirded out when I saw it on the news this morning. Not in a "oh god terrorists" way, but a "why the gently caress are they posting these people's pictures" kind of way. Turns out two of the three are vision impaired and take photos to look over for future.

Those poor bastards.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Police do sometimes put out photos to identify "persons of interest", as they call them, in certain investigations. Usually that's just murders or other major crimes, though.

I have to wonder how often they do these kinds of "suspicious activity" checks that aren't known by the media.

On a similar note, did anything come of those guys who were being looked for in Toronto around the Pan Am games time. Two or three "middle eastern men" seen "acting suspiciously" on a bridge near the skydome?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

The Dark One posted:

quote:

United Airways (now American Airlines)

Typical Canadian media fact-checking.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
E: ignore me!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The RCMP needs to be dismantled and the good people/parts moved into local police forces and the bad parts forced to spend the rest of their lives in Ft Mac.

e: vvv Hmm, I thought I read that it was the RCMP that was doing the initial investigation. Probably just had my CI goggles on.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

The RCMP needs to be dismantled and the good people/parts moved into local police forces and the bad parts forced to spend the rest of their lives in Ft Mac.

While I agree, the incident in Vancouver had nothing to do with the RCMP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

The thing is that the good officers generally don't hate their remote postings, and those remote postings deserve good officers as much as cities and towns do (and they often need them more).

Punishing bad officers by sending them to unpleasant places they'll hate just exacerbates the problem. We should just excise them from the force completely.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Have our right wingers reached neonazi level yet? So far we've only got arson and pepper spray attacks, Germany and other European countries have basically skin head gangs beating them up with bats and poles. They are also even calling for basically outright killing them.

"Poland is ready to welcome immigrants" :smith:

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Furnaceface posted:

The RCMP need reform, especially in the top levels, but having a national police force that is, in fact, trained to a very high level is an asset to the country and should not be thrown away.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
O'Leary actually is serious about CPC leadership

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Part of me wishes that he wins it because it would make them unelectable.

Part of me fears that our dumb population would react the same way Americans are to Trump and elect the fucker.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

So he still hasn't realized that despite his ego he isn't a Canadian Trump.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Chicken Doodle posted:

I remember being really weirded out when I saw it on the news this morning. Not in a "oh god terrorists" way, but a "why the gently caress are they posting these people's pictures" kind of way. Turns out two of the three are vision impaired and take photos to look over for future.

Those poor bastards.

I have a friend who works for a real estate company. Her job is to assay commercial properties (for sale or not) which includes taking pictures of every entrance and exit, parking lot, hvac infrastructure, etc. She literally does this for a living and has never been outed on the news.

Maybe because she's white and blonde?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Doug Ford and Kevin O'Leary fighting to win Tory leadership is a dirty dirty thing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

While I agree, the incident in Vancouver had nothing to do with the RCMP.
Actually it sounds like it was a Langley RCMP officer who leaked the photos to Vancity Buzz, which then falsely claimed that the VPD were seeking information from the public, imploring its readers to Like and Share. When in fact the VPD had quietly sent the photos to other police departments to find out if the "suspects" were known to them. They were not meant for public release.

So you know, they caused a mini terror panic, interfered in a police investigation, probably cost the mall and its merchants a whack of money, and gave us two days of "ISIS RAPEFUGEES GONNA gently caress YOUR SEVERED HEAD" comments, all for nothing. Thanks Vancitybuzz.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 16, 2016

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

jm20 posted:

Have our right wingers reached neonazi level yet? So far we've only got arson and pepper spray attacks, Germany and other European countries have basically skin head gangs beating them up with bats and poles. They are also even calling for basically outright killing them.

"Poland is ready to welcome immigrants" :smith:

It's mainly just some mild rumblings in the usual places, like Facebook, but I don't think we're going to see the same rise of the far-right here in Canada just yet. Aside from the usual suspects, like Facebook comments under refugee stories, I don't know how committed our right-wingers are to ultra-nationalist causes. There's always Ezra Levant doing his best to radicalize the Canadian right, but he seems like the only one with any degree of prominence.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

infernal machines posted:

So he still hasn't realized that despite his ego he isn't a Canadian Trump.

Maybe it's just that I'm part way through reading Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam Trilogy, but it really, really pisses me off that people clowns like Trump and O'Leary will be the main beneficiaries of life extending technology.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

The last thing we need given the current state of the world is to fully integrate with a country that's a lot more comfortable with letting its citizens go completely broke and die in a gutter when their luck runs out.

Square that comment with the fact over 53% of all US working population is on some form of wealthfare in the US and over half of 18-35 samples are non-working but continue to report taxable lifestyles. The US is many things but the "state safety net "is very much alive & well.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Hal_2005 posted:

wealthfare

:laffo: I hope someone buys you another custom title with this

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would ask for a citation, but reports of "taxable lifestyle" will probably have to do.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hal_2005 posted:

Square that comment with the fact over 53% of all US working population is on some form of wealthfare in the US and over half of 18-35 samples are non-working but continue to report taxable lifestyles. The US is many things but the "state safety net "is very much alive & well.

Wages should increase. A Good Post.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ocrumsprug posted:

I would ask for a citation, but reports of "taxable lifestyle" will probably have to do.

They occasionally have food and sometimes a roof over their head. The audacity that some might get both at the same time is just proof that they are living the life off an oblivious government.

e: Why does Hal only post when CI is probated? I cant be the only one noticing the trend.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have some important news

https://twitter.com/aruddy/status/688516484549578755

Wont somebody please think of the businesses?!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

apatheticman posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the cost of the regulations being talked about here could also be called various forms of "taxes."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

They occasionally have food and sometimes a roof over their head. The audacity that some might get both at the same time is just proof that they are living the life off an oblivious government.

e: Why does Hal only post when CI is probated? I cant be the only one noticing the trend.

I was curious about this but nah he posts elsewhere when CI is still around.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the cost of the regulations being talked about here could also be called various forms of "taxes."

Minimum wage labour, too. Paying that wage can be defined as "complying with a regulation."

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Or how about all the money Canadian businesses are forced to flush down the drain by complying with :airquote: health and safety :airquote: regulations.

Thanks, Trudeau! :argh:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

I'd like to believe some of those billions were buying safety equipment. In a happy world~

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

Or how about all the money Canadian businesses are forced to flush down the drain by complying with :airquote: health and safety :airquote: regulations.

Thanks, Trudeau! :argh:

:arghfist::byodood: Justin's in office for three months and he already cost Canadian businesses $37 BILLION!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ocrumsprug posted:

God, pers. comm.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Leofish posted:

:arghfist::byodood: Justin's in office for three months and he already cost Canadian businesses $37 BILLION!

In 2014, even!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Ontario hydro chat trigger warning. A Tor Star journalist is having a little slap fight with the auditor general because his criticism of hydro one and OLP is nowhere near scathing enough.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/01/10/fun-with-numbers-on-your-monthly-hydro-bill-cohn.html

quote:

“We are concerned that the ministry continues to invest in conservation efforts when Ontario already has significant surplus power,” the auditor’s report concludes ominously. During a surplus, “reducing electricity consumption through conservation efforts is of little value.”

Right. But wrong, oh so wrong.

According to the auditor, conservation costs us money, so we’d best keep burning fossil fuels up in smoke? No thanks, especially when she knows our electricity surplus is partly due to the economic downturn and that the oversupply won’t last forever.

What kind of professional journalist writes that nonsense. That kind of logic wouldn't even fly here, luckily the AG calls him out for being a retarded eco warrior.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2016/01/15/i-didnt-endorse-fossil-fuel-generated-power-auditor.html

The AG posted:

We appreciate that questioning conservation is somewhat akin to questioning motherhood, but we believe the cost/benefit issue needed to be raised. However, for Mr. Cohn to write that “according to the auditor… we’d best keep burning fossil fuels?” because we dared to raise this concern does seem disingenuous at best, and just factually incorrect at worst.

:drat:

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/01/16/why-cheap-hydro-was-too-good-to-be-true-cohn.html

quote:

Blaming an electricity utility for price hikes is like showering praise on Enbridge or Union Gas for declining natural gas bills, writes Martin Regg Cohn.

In which MRC seemingly finishes the stroke he started during the first article.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Hahaha the gently caress

apatheticman posted:

so this is going off of http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/english/article/6928-regulation-costs-for-canadian-businesses.html

And All Those Numbers Are Not Very Good

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Hahaha the gently caress

so this is going off of http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/english/article/6928-regulation-costs-for-canadian-businesses.html

And All Those Numbers Are Not Very Good

"Workers' compensation, occupational heath and safety" considered the "most burdensome" regulation to comply with, as per the respondents.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So, on Friday, a hydro-cracker in Ft. Mac owned by CPC-majority-held oil firm Nexen http://www.mymcmurray.com/nexen-ceo-senior-vice-president-apologize-for-death-and-injury-in-explosion-at-long-lake/ blew up and killed some people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

"Workers' compensation, occupational heath and safety" considered the "most burdensome" regulation to comply with, as per the respondents.

The documentation component of those regulations are often needlessly annoying to comply with and do nothing to actually increase workplace safety. They're entirely about preventing liability.

I dunno what the answer is (it's not crying wolf with inflated numbers) but when people complain about red tape they are probably not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the documentation is also often entirely fraudulent