Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In the end (we're talking mid-twenties) I just ended up giving myself a bunch of rare ingredients and recipes I was missing, because gently caress if I knew where else to look for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Protons posted:

I justified it to myself like this: I'm mother loving Geralt of Rivia. By this stage in the lore, I'm a witcher with decades of experience and adventure. I'm not some doey eyed witcher fresh off the Grasses table, ready to strike out and leave my mark, I've been doing this poo poo for decades son. I'm half way tempted to do the same for the oils and bombs ,because Geralt should know all those recipes by now.

This is by far the worst thing in the game and why the early game sucked so much for me.

Also wow I have like fifteen hours to go at leadt.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

This is by far the worst thing in the game and why the early game sucked so much for me.

Also wow I have like fifteen hours to go at leadt.

Just beat a Chort that was 11 levels higher than me :smaug:

Bleed DOTs are key. My regular hits weren't doing much damage, but each time a bleed would tick it would hit for 886. All the bleed runes in my weapons. Going to make a string of anal beads where bleed runes are the beads, and never take it out.

Protons fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 17, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you tell which sign the Basalisk decoction is boosting?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and all the people who seem to hate the griffin armor because its actually a realistic breastplate shape

I wore griffon armor the whole game and through my part NG+. It's my favorite by far.

I did it for the sign bonus it helps though that it's the most realistic looking armor too lol.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pellisworth posted:

I enjoy both games, but F4 is strictly an iteration of Bethesda's previous titles, it's good but not amazing. I love spending 30min to an hour exploring a new dungeon in Fallout 4, it's great for that but doesn't really hold my attention past an hour or so.

So FO4 is my first fallout game just as W3 was my first Witcher game. I have to disagree that FO has "better dungeons" just because I'm almost level 70 and I still feel like I've done nothing. I don't mean that in a "this world is huge and I've made no difference" sense either.

I dunno maybe it's just because W3 ruined me. Lol. I like FO4 but it's really mediocre to me.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

So FO4 is my first fallout game just as W3 was my first Witcher game. I have to disagree that FO has "better dungeons" just because I'm almost level 70 and I still feel like I've done nothing. I don't mean that in a "this world is huge and I've made no difference" sense either.

I dunno maybe it's just because W3 ruined me. Lol. I like FO4 but it's really mediocre to me.

I see it like this. CD PR is exceptional at creating environments. Bethesda is great at filling environments. Like, the new creepy forest in Hearts is rad, but there's one thing to do there, and one unique thing to see.

Meanwhile in FO4 I went into a grocery store and I not only got the ambiance, I got a story about people pre-war, and a story about some lost minutemen.

Anyway, came in this thread to ask. Is there supposed to be an illusory wall in the iron mine in kaer mohren? I killed a golem next to the glove diagrams and a quest popped up on my screen but never actually went into my quest log. And the cave minimap clearly continues.

Also, opinion on Hearts It's really amazing but last quest spoiler I found it odd you can't find a reflection in the cave filled with gems and gold coins

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Nasgate posted:

I see it like this. CD PR is exceptional at creating environments. Bethesda is great at filling environments. Like, the new creepy forest in Hearts is rad, but there's one thing to do there, and one unique thing to see.

That's an interesting way to look at it, and you're not wrong. The flipside, however, is that CDPR is exceptional at creating an overarching story, while Bethesda's story arcs are lacking to put it mildly.

In general, I don't think open-world games lend themselves very well to good, well-paced stories with established characters. It's really hard to strike the right balance between tension -- you must find Ciri before the Wild Hunt does -- and faffing about in the open world doing Witcher contracts. I do think the open world CDPR crafted here is spectacular, and the sidequests, contracts, etc, are really interesting and well crafted. But I also think that TW3 could have been a tighter and better-paced game if the environment had been more limited like it was in TW2.

Note that I said "with established characters" there for a reason. For example, the Saints Row series are really good open-world adventures because your character has to rise to power and become tough enough to take on bigger and badder enemies. But in a world like The Witcher, it is kind of artificial to start out as a "Level 1 Geralt" that can get killed easily by random guards, and have to keep doing sidequests in order to survive in the next area, while at the same time the game acknowledges that you're the greatest of the Witchers and have had a major impact on world politics already.

But, having said all of that, TW3 is still one of the best games ever. You just have to suspend disbelief a little bit in order for the game mechanics to work with the story. If the open-world stuff was just a dumb grind like in Dragon Age: Inquisition it would be bad, but here it's done so well that it just adds to the enjoyment.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Just picked up this game after finishing Witcher 2 and finally getting a PC upgrade. Before I start a first playthrough, is it worth buying the DLC now right from the start, or is it something I can get later (potentially after clearing the game) and still get benefit from? Basically, does it add more stuff at the end, or extra stuff to do all the way along?
(I've tried to avoid any spoilers where possible, so searching for this is kinda difficult)

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Deanut Pancer posted:

Just picked up this game after finishing Witcher 2 and finally getting a PC upgrade. Before I start a first playthrough, is it worth buying the DLC now right from the start, or is it something I can get later (potentially after clearing the game) and still get benefit from? Basically, does it add more stuff at the end, or extra stuff to do all the way along?
(I've tried to avoid any spoilers where possible, so searching for this is kinda difficult)

Hearts of Stone can be played before or after the end of the main game. However, it plays better and makes more sense if you play it after the main campaign. Hearts of Stone is a self-contained story that does not tie into or have any impact on the main Witcher 3 storyline. By the time you are high enough level to play Hearts of Stone, it doesn't make sense for Geralt to set aside the main campaign and go off on a different quest.

Edit: all of the other (free) DLC do fit very well into the main campaign, so you should go ahead and get them all. They are seamlessly integrated into the game, you can't really tell the difference between them and other quests.

The Belgian Devil fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 17, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deanut Pancer posted:

Nope, the DLC is a bunch of end-game content, it won't add anything until you're most of the way through the base game.

A few random bits of advice that I throw out whenever new players post:

-Don't skip dialogue, it's all well written, voice-acted, and animated. The storytelling is the best part of the game.
-Alchemy stuff refills for the cost of one hard alcohol (for everything) when you meditate, you only need to craft the base item once.
-You're coming from Witcher 2 which has similar combat, but always keep mobile when fighting. Use a Sign or alchemy item, get in a couple swings, dodge/roll out. Repeat.
-There is way more XP available than you need to advance, so you're going to have quests turn gray and no longer give full XP. That's okay, you'll hit the level cap without trying to min/max your side quest XP.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Great stuff, thanks for the quick replies and advice. I'll go and start with all the free DLC for now then, and pick up HoS later

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Place Like Home's a pretty great quest, Geralt's va has some fun!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nasgate posted:

Anyway, came in this thread to ask. Is there supposed to be an illusory wall in the iron mine in kaer mohren? I killed a golem next to the glove diagrams and a quest popped up on my screen but never actually went into my quest log. And the cave minimap clearly continues.

There's a trigger in the room which requires an item to be placed on it to open the wall.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Deathlove posted:

There's a trigger in the room which requires an item to be placed on it to open the wall.

Thanks, time to go back. Any reason to revisit kaer is great, it's so gorgeous.

I think my favourite thing about Hearts of stone is how it 100% feels and acts like a separate short Story to the main game's novella.

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Nasgate posted:

I think my favourite thing about Hearts of stone is how it 100% feels and acts like a separate short Story to the main game's novella.

Exactly. I think it's kind of timeless relative to the main quest. Even though you play it in the same location etc, I don't think of it as literally taking place after the end of TW3. It's another story about Geralt that happens to be set near Oxenfurt.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where can I find the treasure maps for the third tier of Griffin armor? I'm guessing Skellige but can't find anyone selling them. Found some enhanced wolven and cat diagrams by wandering around though.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is anyone else getting 'content servers unreachable' errors? At first I got missing manifest errors, but after deleting the most recent .acf file, I'm now getting content server errors. I've changed my download region all over the place and still it won't work.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So after trying a couple of times I've finally managed to get into this. Turning off the minimap and turning the difficulty to normal is what made the difference in the end, I was just staring at it before and not feeling involved in the world, while occasionally fighting and reloading a lot. Thoughts so far;

- A lot of the dialogue options seem to imply I hate the Nilfgardians, but I'm not really feeling it. They are obviously imperialist but eh, occupying armies gonna occupy and Velen does seem like it could use a bit of forward progress. Plus the guy Radovid sounds like a dickhead too, what with shanking all the magic people. I assume Geralt would count as a magical person for that.

- With the Bloody Baron, am I meant to feel sorry for him? He's a wife-beating piece of poo poo that lets his soldiers run wild and tries to burn horses alive. Seriously, gently caress that guy, if I can help his wife and daughter get far, far away from him I will.

- Kiera's cool and I love how absolutely done with the whole village witch thing she is. Definitely gonna bro out with her as much as possible.

- From the glossary Ciri seems to be the most important person that has ever existed, and presumably the emperor is hunting her to make her heir to his throne. I'm not sure how to feel about that, on the one hand she's obviously a good person and could take Nilfgard in a better direction, but on the other she seems to love the freedom she has in the flashbacks. I'm assuming Geralt gets a say in what eventually happens to her and honestly don't know what would be best.

- The Wild Hunt are fantastic antagonists so far. The sudden permafrost, the creepy armour, the appearing from nowhere, the agenda, it's all really good.

- I played a bit of Witcher 2 so know who Triss is. I'm torn between riding straight off to Novigrad to see what she's up to and doing the main plot to reunite Ciri and Yennefer which is like, really good gameplay/narrative convergence as I'm assuming Geralt is meant to be feeling a similar way.

- Gwent owns.

- Finding out that all the mage women are gorgeous because they literally do a spell to make them gorgeous has actually alleviated some of how dumb and male-gazey it felt before. Like it's obviously T&A but at least there's a veneer of justification. I've not met any male mages though, and if they aren't sexy too then that'll be a bit crap.

- The world-building and atmosphere of each scene are really good. I was all bowing to the emperor and being obsequious just because it gave such a good impression that this was his turf, better to play along with the small stuff and potentially gently caress him over down the line when he doesn't hold all the cards. Usually in games I'd choose the be-a-dick option just because but here it felt cooler to deliberately not make visible waves.

The main reason I'm enjoying this and couldn't get into Witcher 2 is that while the world is still lovely, in this it isn't joyless. Going along with that prick that runs Flotsam and having him hang people in front of me, then choosing between Iorve and Roche when both are unforgivable arseholes, it all felt so frustrating and unrelentingly unpleasant. Here there are funny moments, nice little quips etc and most of all when Geralt rides into a village, does some quests and leaves again it feels like, even if there were Moral Choices to be made, things are still slightly better than they would have been had he not shown up.

Like in Witcher 2 it felt like everyone was a prick, but in Witcher 3 some of them are idiots instead. Well-meaning, flawed, funny little people just bumble-loving their way along but still worth protecting is so much more palatable to me and it fits with how I'm projecting Geralt feels too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

- Kiera's cool and I love how absolutely done with the whole village witch thing she is. Definitely gonna bro out with her as much as possible.

- From the glossary Ciri seems to be the most important person that has ever existed, and presumably the emperor is hunting her to make her heir to his throne. I'm not sure how to feel about that, on the one hand she's obviously a good person and could take Nilfgard in a better direction, but on the other she seems to love the freedom she has in the flashbacks. I'm assuming Geralt gets a say in what eventually happens to her and honestly don't know what would be best.

Well, not to spoil too much, but this is a big-rear end reactive RPG and since they're both major characters you get to affect how their stories end. I'll be honest, I'm a big sentimental babby about these things and I always look up how to achieve the best possible outcome for my precious babby NPCs, so in case you're like that as well:

For Keira if you want the best outcome tell her to go to Kaer Morhen. I think both choices regarding the research are okay as long as she goes there. For Ciri there are five major scenes that will affect how good an ending she gets. Her being an Empress or not is a separate thing and the choice you have to make to affect this is pretty obvious when it comes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Vitamin P posted:

- With the Bloody Baron, am I meant to feel sorry for him? He's a wife-beating piece of poo poo that lets his soldiers run wild and tries to burn horses alive. Seriously, gently caress that guy, if I can help his wife and daughter get far, far away from him I will.

Actually he is not letting his soldiers run wild at all. He's very strict with them, and is effectively the best leader for Velen in the current circumstances. This is thematically important because the resolution of his story line differs depending on whether you choose to follow the orders of a seemingly unrelated group who are also good leaders while simultaneously being evil assholes.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Megazver posted:

Well, not to spoil too much, but this is a big-rear end reactive RPG and since they're both major characters you get to affect how their stories end. I'll be honest, I'm a big sentimental babby about these things and I always look up how to achieve the best possible outcome for my precious babby NPCs, so in case you're like that as well:

I 1000% want the best for my children too but think the reactivity will be more fun if I'm spoiler free, plus I'm going to do a new game+ when both DLCs are out for a Perfect Playthrough anyway. The only things I already know are that I have to choose if Geralt really loves Yennefer or just feels that way because of a spell and that there are some gwent games that can't be repeated.

I'm with hope assuming that the choices basically correlate with your intentions, and they won't be lol-this-is-grimdark-IT-BACKFIRED. I'm assuming the Kiera arc will be keep hiding in a swamp or get back out into the more refined world, and I honestly think she'd be happier in a city with her fancy things. Ciri is a, almost the honestly, main character so I guess that'll be informed by the main plot. Right now, still in Velen, I'm torn but my inclination is that she'd be happiest living the witcher-esque lifestyle. But if she could potentially turn Nilfgard into an enlightenment nation that drops the imperialism then poo poo, she might have to take one for the team.

Game owns.

DalaranJ posted:

Actually he is not letting his soldiers run wild at all. He's very strict with them, and is effectively the best leader for Velen in the current circumstances. This is thematically important because the resolution of his story line differs depending on whether you choose to follow the orders of a seemingly unrelated group who are also good leaders while simultaneously being evil assholes.

Not reading spoilers but the fact that there's even an argument in favour of that prick is exciting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DalaranJ posted:

At least I saved the children.

:smith:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Is there significant difference in the game between picking yen or triss? I haven't beat the game yet just wondering if it's worth doing a second play through after. Just got to kaer mohren. Game owns so hard.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

B-Mac posted:

Is there significant difference in the game between picking yen or triss? I haven't beat the game yet just wondering if it's worth doing a second play through after. Just got to kaer mohren. Game owns so hard.

NG+ on Death March is great I think, I really enjoyed my second playthrough. You have quite a ways to go if you're just arriving at Kaer Morhen though!

Yen vs. Triss is mostly just the romance content. You're not missing any non-romance stuff by picking one over the other. If you're doing a second playthrough it's worth picking whichever one you didn't romance the first time around because it will make for some different (and pretty amusing) dialogue and character interactions.

Why settle for just one sorceress though? Romance them both, what could possibly go wrong! :haw:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Aww man, the snowy ending is so depressing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

I 1000% want the best for my children too but think the reactivity will be more fun if I'm spoiler free, plus I'm going to do a new game+ when both DLCs are out for a Perfect Playthrough anyway. The only things I already know are that I have to choose if Geralt really loves Yennefer or just feels that way because of a spell and that there are some gwent games that can't be repeated.

I'm with hope assuming that the choices basically correlate with your intentions, and they won't be lol-this-is-grimdark-IT-BACKFIRED. I'm assuming the Kiera arc will be keep hiding in a swamp or get back out into the more refined world, and I honestly think she'd be happier in a city with her fancy things. Ciri is a, almost the honestly, main character so I guess that'll be informed by the main plot. Right now, still in Velen, I'm torn but my inclination is that she'd be happiest living the witcher-esque lifestyle. But if she could potentially turn Nilfgard into an enlightenment nation that drops the imperialism then poo poo, she might have to take one for the team.

Weeeeeeeell. It's slightly tricksy. Think really carefully. Good luck!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Pellisworth posted:

NG+ on Death March is great I think, I really enjoyed my second playthrough. You have quite a ways to go if you're just arriving at Kaer Morhen though!

Yen vs. Triss is mostly just the romance content. You're not missing any non-romance stuff by picking one over the other. If you're doing a second playthrough it's worth picking whichever one you didn't romance the first time around because it will make for some different (and pretty amusing) dialogue and character interactions.

Why settle for just one sorceress though? Romance them both, what could possibly go wrong! :haw:

Haha I already ruined that option with YouTube unfortunately.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

At least I saved the children.

:smith:

I was really amused that there's a voiceover cutaway by Geralt at the end of that arc informing us that the moral of the story was "Well, can't win 'em all."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DalaranJ posted:

I was really amused that there's a voiceover cutaway by Geralt at the end of that arc informing us that the moral of the story was "Well, can't win 'em all."

My favorite joke in the game is loving up the quest with the ghost and lover (again) and getting the lover killed, freeing the ghost. Geralt's like "huh I should follow up on that, eventually". The character bio says he forgot immediately and the ghost killed a kingdom. Fine witcher work.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

That reminds me that in Zoltan's sidequest to find rare cards you get a magic doll from Cleaver's CPA. Zoltan and Geralt agree that Triss will know what it is, but I already did Triss' arc, so can I take the doll to Yen or does someone want to spoil me what it is?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Yen doesn't have any dialogue related to it IIRC. There are a few of those things, they seem a tad buggy, but i know that at least one of them that I found i was able to give to triss in novigrad right before the end of the game when you all come back

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

andrew smash posted:

Yen doesn't have any dialogue related to it IIRC. There are a few of those things, they seem a tad buggy, but i know that at least one of them that I found i was able to give to triss in novigrad right before the end of the game when you all come back

I had two and Triss had words for both of them.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I was hesitant because of the time commitment and (what looks like a) Standard-Issue Grizzled Male Protagonist, but after hearing so much praise from people whose tastes track mine, I've caved. How should I approach the game to get the most out of it? Is there a standard set of advice somewhere? (Sorry if there is and this is an annoying question; I didn't see it in the OP.)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
just jump in and play it. Don't worry about min maxing XP or items or whatever, it's not a hard game. Just enjoy the writing and don't skip dialogue.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

andrew smash posted:

just jump in and play it. Don't worry about min maxing XP or items or whatever, it's not a hard game. Just enjoy the writing and don't skip dialogue.

Yeah, I was drawn by all the praise of the writing above all, and I'm pleased to see there's a Story Mode - I have absolutely terrible reflexes!

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
His hair is gray because his training was SO HARD like tons of babies die doing it but he made it

He has to pick his TRUE LOVE before the end but meanwhile he bangs all the magically pretty babes because picking is hard as gently caress

He is

A WITCHER

game owns

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

geralt

geralt please

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
gently caress. I was just looking for information on when Blood and Wine will be out and now I'm reading that apparently this is going to be the last Witcher game with Geralt in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a ciri game would be cool