Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hitler B. Natural posted:

SOFREP (the milblog that Lang shills for these days) got a redesign with tags and things to make it easier to find the cartoons! And then they forgot to put the "cartoon" tag on this one!

Remember that guy? I still think he was a satirical character played by Michael Chiklis.

refreshing honesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Somfin posted:

They're mostly asking for the Lynch Memorial Hall to be renamed the Clyde Lynch Memorial Hall.

Now to change the names of the dozens of buildings at SC colleges named after segregationist governor Ben Tillman.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The cheating thing is spun as "she couldn't please her husband how do you expect her to please America?" because that makes sense somehow? I guess?

"She didn't have enough self-respect to leave her cheating husband, and she calls herself a feminist?"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

"Let me tell you about the black experience"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

"That black person has lead a way to cozy life. I belive that all black people should be raised in poverty, so they can understand what they are, and why they are different from me."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Trident: an illustrated guide to renewing Britain's nuclear deterrent - Chris Riddell on the defence spending debate"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Trident: an illustrated guide to renewing Britain's nuclear deterrent - Chris Riddell on the defence spending debate"

Britain's nuclear deterrence program is producing hundreds of billions of Sterling pounds. A bad cartoon.

That said I appreciate that Riddell gave that white elephant musth.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Air is lava! posted:

"That black person has lead a way to cozy life. I belive that all black people should be raised in poverty, so they can understand what they are, and why they are different from me."

The idea that you need to have personally suffered from something to be able to tell that it's hosed up is such a loving impediment to progress :argh:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sir Tonk posted:

As a black man myself, that bloated idiot can go screw himself.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shugojin posted:

The idea that you need to have personally suffered from something to be able to tell that it's hosed up is such a loving impediment to progress :argh:

On the other hand, straightsplaining.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

funny how he thinks the black experience is limited to being poor, urban and oppressed. it's literally saying "he is in a position of power and affluence, therefore he is not black"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What does "brought up as black" mean

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

Yes it's ALMOST as if, say, a white guy going 'huh, yea looks like black people get the shaft pretty bad in a lot of areas still, that's hosed up' and a straight guy saying 'look do you homos even WANT equal rights, lemmie tell you why this isn't actually a big deal' are different things?

Basically don't need to be in the minority group to understand that they probably have issues in society, but you probably should be if you're going to talk down to them about their issues.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

loquacius posted:

He doesn't speak in AAVE, therefore

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Istvun posted:

They wanted the name to be changed to Clyde Lynch Hall, iirc.

Clyde A. Lynch Memorial Hall, yep. Clear communication is kryptonite to politicians though.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

He took a real story, and then made up a prediction about it, just so he could make that stupid joke. "The truth is stupider than the fiction I just wrote about that truth."

Holy poo poo what a hack.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

loquacius posted:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

You could be charitable and say that it means he was raised by his white mother and white grandparents and attended historically white educational institutions.

Or you can be uncharitable and say that it means he wasn't raised in a ghetto, was never in a gang, and never went to prison.

It really depends on how racist you think the person saying it is and to what degree they automatically associate blackness with the worst aspects of black life in the United States.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sir Tonk posted:

lmao look at this fuckin guy

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

What I gathered from Rob Smith's Twitter is that he's desperate for attention from Fox News personalities. Nearly every post is hashtagged with the name of some Fox News host, usually Hannity or Gutfeld.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

A Mad Max cartoon.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

albany academy posted:

funny how he thinks the black experience is limited to being poor, urban and oppressed. it's literally saying "he is in a position of power and affluence, therefore he is not black"

Well he and his predecessors did put an awful lot of effort into making blacks poor, urban and oppressed.

LeJackal posted:

Hey I realize this happens and is hosed up != _______splaining

Here let me tell you as someone this doesn't happen to that it doesn't happen/doesn't matter = ________splaining

There ya go.

Shugojin posted:

That and the idea that acknowledging that groups you're lumped into may have done horrible things in the past and you may have benefited from it is somehow a personal attack on you and has to be fought tooth and nail lest you feel bad are the root of a huge fraction of why awful things continue.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

itskage posted:

He took a real story, and then made up a prediction about it, just so he could make that stupid joke. "The truth is stupider than the fiction I just wrote about that truth."

Holy poo poo what a hack.

The truth behind the lies, and the lies behind the truth that is behind those lies... is that how it goes?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Selachian posted:

What I gathered from Rob Smith's Twitter is that he's desperate for attention from Fox News personalities. Nearly every post is hashtagged with the name of some Fox News host, usually Hannity or Gutfeld.
I think he'd succeed but his name is tethered to Beck since the former is a cartoonist for the latter, and Fox may not want to go there.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Byers:

(It's good to finally see a cartoon with representation for the much-overlooked LOSERS demographic.) One of the accompanying editorials argued that Trump is out of step with most Americans.

The other... didn't so much defend him, as argue that

D.N. Nation posted:

an enormously racist bigot and complete loving jackass is leading the GOP primaries right now because Obama bad.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I recall a a few stories where Republican men cheated on their wives, and when the wives stayed, they were praised for sticking to their marriage and working things out wih him like good Christian women or some nonsense like that.

But if Hilary stayed, it means she approved of Bills behavior and she's just as scummy as he is. Pretty sure there was a cartoon or two specifically about that.

River Crab
May 12, 2005

Perhaps a careful review of your options is in order.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The cheating thing is spun as "she couldn't please her husband how do you expect her to please America?" because that makes sense somehow? I guess?

I've heard it as "she didn't leave Bill because they don't have a real marriage and remaining married to him helps her political career" or something equally stupid.

Picnic Princess posted:

But if Hilary stayed, it means she approved of Bills behavior and she's just as scummy as he is.

I've also heard this, but more as a "she's a cold, emotionless schemer who will do anything to get ahead" kind of thing.

Growing up in a Republican household was horrible.

River Crab fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 17, 2016

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

River Crab posted:

I've heard it as "she didn't leave Bill because they don't have a real marriage and remaining married to him helps her political career" or something equally stupid.

Pretty sure this was the gist of Fiorina's "I actually enjoy spending time with my husband, unlike some other candidate" from the debate last week.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

River Crab posted:

I've also heard this, but more as a "she's a cold, emotionless schemer who will do anything to get ahead" kind of thing.

Growing up in a Republican household was horrible.

And that may even be true. FDR and his wife had a similar relationship, from what I've heard. But why is that any of our business?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jurgan posted:

And that may even be true. FDR and his wife had a similar relationship, from what I've heard. But why is that any of our business?

Well, he and his wife married with the intent that it was a political marriage so there wasn't really any upfront assumption of it being a thing of passion. Also Elenore was probably one of if not the post powerful first lady in the white house.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's time once again for trip back to...

(wow better header!)

Michael Ramirez

Behold kinda-sorta Obama! Hillary's caricature hasn't changed much (ie still awful), but Ramirez had most of the 90s to let that devolve into a mockery of the human form.

As said earlier, conservatives were not too keen on McCain, a "moderate" who appealed to the general population but turned off the base. This would repeat in 2012 with Romney.

While most conservatives went straight for misogyny, Ramirez was bold and said she was faking it.

To be fair, McCain ultimately did better than Dole...if you don't count Perot's impact on the '96 election.

Obama brought up the issue of race, which led to some awkward attempts by Hillary like when a Clinton supporter implied that Obama would be assassinated. This lead to a spat between the two camps about the accomplishments of JFK and MLK.

Continuing from above, this comic and the other one are referring to Hillary's comments that it was ultimately LBJ (ACRONYMS!) that got the civil rights bills made into law. The cartoon is :ironicat: as hell as I believe this is around the time when idiots in the south were trying to get Robert E. Lee Day pushed as a more significant holiday. In fact, I know in Virginia it's technically "Lee-Jackson-King Day" :suicide:

Romney's Mormonism was also a mild Thing back then.

A looooot of Republicans were hoping for Fred Thompson to join the fray, but his candidacy was tantamount to a short wet fart.

McCain's age was a another Thing, although it wasn't a really big deal. I mean it's not like he would go an pick a weird out-of-left-field person for VP, right?

The primary between Clinton and Obama got fairly dirty at times.

God drat Ramirez did a lot of cartoons

Okay, I'm gonna take a break here. I'm having difficulty finding older Allie cartoons, but if I can't find them today then I got a back up for you all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"I would rather thousands of Americans die than pour water up a terrorist's nose for thirty seconds" is the falsest false dichotomy I've ever seen.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did anyone tell them that the attorney general's name is Lynch?

How many times is she referred to as just Lynch?

LeJackal posted:

Counterpoint: shut the gently caress up, LeJackal.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes it's ALMOST as if, say, a white guy going 'huh, yea looks like black people get the shaft pretty bad in a lot of areas still, that's hosed up' and a straight guy saying 'look do you homos even WANT equal rights, lemmie tell you why this isn't actually a big deal' are different things?

Basically don't need to be in the minority group to understand that they probably have issues in society, but you probably should be if you're going to talk down to them about their issues.

When he says Straightsplaining, LeJackal is referring to people telling him he needs to stop figuratively wanking off his guns daily, which he reframes as homophobia.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vyelkin posted:

"I would rather thousands of Americans die than pour water up a terrorist's nose for thirty seconds" is the falsest false dichotomy I've ever seen.

Allow me to acquaint you with a documentary on terrorist operations called "24."

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

As said earlier, conservatives were not too keen on McCain, a "moderate" who appealed to the general population but turned off the base. This would repeat in 2012 with Romney.
Ah yes, the Sarbanes-Oxley act, a very important issue for voters.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

:golfclap:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rorus Raz posted:

Behold kinda-sorta Obama! Hillary's caricature hasn't changed much (ie still awful), but Ramirez had most of the 90s to let that devolve into a mockery of the human form.

So Ramirez started at Rall and got worse?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

vyelkin posted:

Weren't there a lot of desperate attempts at justification from conservatives when it came out that all this "tough" "enhanced interrogation" didn't get us a single useful bit of intel?

I remember Cheney at least trying to claim that it lead the Obama administration to Bin Laden (even when it was proven to have nothing to do with it).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rorus Raz posted:

I understad that Trump makes his best efort to prevent this, but how "moderate" will he look later? The American political spectrum seems to be on a slope which always goes farther to the right. And sometimes it feels more like a wall.
"The only reason we lost 2016 is because that Trump was way to soft on the Muslim threat, when he announced to deport all of them. God King Emperor Reagan Envoy of the Invisible Hand, would have executed them on the spot, to sell their organs, to make America great again. We need a strong leader who stands above human law. Vote Jeff 'Marow Crusher' Miller 2020."

And 4 years later that guy will be to soft and left wing even for the democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rorus Raz posted:

All these things look good. I'm voting McCain.

(The McCain-Feingold thing was about limiting financial contributions to political campaigns, so framing it as a limit on free speech is nothing but disingenuous shilling.)

• Locked thread