Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The Arrow TV show: they drink vodka as though it were water or wine. Also Oliver's Russian sounds horrendous, but maybe that's because I've not spoken the language for a while, but it still sounds somewhat off.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Star Wars - The Force Awakens...

So Stormtroopers are not mindless drones or nefarious clones, but brainwashed child soldiers capable of growing up in a Stormtrooper compound with compassion, humour and a range of other emotions, but it's still OK for them to get gunned down en masse by the "good guys" because... they were abducted by bad guys as children? Hey Resistance, is that not even slightly morally questionable?

And the leader of the Stormtroopers is someone so ruthless and committed to her cause that she... gives up her base's shield and condemns everyone, including herself, to almost guaranteed death so that she won't be shot by the janitor and an old man. "Please don't kill me, I'd rather die than be dead." - Captain Phasma.

Han Solo: once a badass, now a loser. But everything about the original trilogy was rendered pointless anyway, so what does one more character matter? You thought Alderaan was bad, well we just did that TIMES FIVE! You thought the Death Star was cool, well we just made it into an ENTIRE PLANET! You thought the Rebel Alliance defeating the second Death Star was an important victory, well not in the slightest - the past 30 years have seen the winning team splinter into two divisions that are both unable to defeat their reorganised original foe, kinda like World War II, except the Empire wasn't a goddamn country so why the hell did the Alliance let them recoup in the first place?! I think I might know why, it's because the good guys are USELESS, just like in the prequel trilogy. "But they rebranded themselves, we can't just waltz in there and shut them down or anything, it would be a bureaucratic nightmare, can you imagine the paperwork for the senate?! Also, our key demographics on Coruscant think that royalty is passe now and military is the new hotness." - General Leia.

This movie was a convoluted piece of garbage with scenes that were about 75% remake of the first movie without any of the inherent simplicity that made A New Hope so memorable. And yet, even though they borrowed most of ANH, they gave the Force Awakens an Empire Strikes Back ending - what the hell?

What is wrong with people that this awful movie is so popular?! Is it because it's better than the Phantom Menace? I did a poo poo earlier that was a better movie than the Phantom bloody Menace.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If you want an answer to the question as opposed to screaming into the empty void why not go to the Cinema discussion area, they'll probably be able to give you reasons!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Saul Goode posted:

Star Wars - The Force Awakens...

So Stormtroopers are not mindless drones or nefarious clones, but brainwashed child soldiers capable of growing up in a Stormtrooper compound with compassion, humour and a range of other emotions, but it's still OK for them to get gunned down en masse by the "good guys" because... they were abducted by bad guys as children? Hey Resistance, is that not even slightly morally questionable?
I'd like to introduced you to the concept known as "war."

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Josef bugman posted:

If you want an answer to the question as opposed to screaming into the empty void why not go to the Cinema discussion area, they'll probably be able to give you reasons!

Fine, I'll go over there right now. In fact, I'll fly over there in this old piece of space junk that's been sitting in the desert for 30 years. Lucky for me the keys are still in the ignition. Also, it is lucky for me that despite being an old piece of space junk it can still perform deft hyperspace maneuvers after some cursory maintenance. I will fly over to Cinema Discusso immediately with my rhetorical questions in hand.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think a lot of people forget how cheesy and full of coincidences and poo poo the original trilogy was full of. Everything is space magic at best and the writers going *shrug* at worst.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Except it's all "explained" through forty years of crazy expanded universe bullshit and an online encyclopedia to match, so it appears to make sense.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Except it's all "explained" through forty years of crazy expanded universe bullshit and an online encyclopedia to match, so it appears to make sense.

EU isn't canon anymore.

I never read any of it, and never cared about SW much.

I agree with the previous poster about how TFA is a weird new hope remake at times

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness: How did everyone who survived not end up in jail at the end of the movie? There were at least 4 mutilated bodies scattered around the church, how did they explain that to the police? " Oh I know it looks bad officer, what with all the dead bodies and all, but they were all posessed by green devil liquid, all of which is now gone".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Saul Goode posted:

Fine, I'll go over there right now. In fact, I'll fly over there in this old piece of space junk that's been sitting in the desert for 30 years. Lucky for me the keys are still in the ignition. Also, it is lucky for me that despite being an old piece of space junk it can still perform deft hyperspace maneuvers after some cursory maintenance. I will fly over to Cinema Discusso immediately with my rhetorical questions in hand.

Might be a good plan. Leastwise that's what I would do if I had problems with a big film, they are generally better at the analysis ideas than here.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The whole stormtroopers being the presumably kidnapped or orphaned victims of the Empire bit kinda bummed me out a little bit, I sorta get that criticism at least.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness: How did everyone who survived not end up in jail at the end of the movie? There were at least 4 mutilated bodies scattered around the church, how did they explain that to the police? " Oh I know it looks bad officer, what with all the dead bodies and all, but they were all posessed by green devil liquid, all of which is now gone".

The survivors were all obviously traumatised, there were signs of a siege - remember that the church doors were barricaded from the outside - several people who had been inside were missing entirely, and the area was known for its homeless problem.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Saul Goode posted:

Fury Road handles the issue of "big piece of vehicular hardware" security much better than TFA.

Ain't no swiping of a hotel room key gonna get that war rig going.

Sorry, I watched that last night and well, sw can't hold a candle to it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Roblo posted:

That was the impression I got.

Sometimes wonder how much cooler it would have been if neither of them had lightsabers. Just reeeeally powerful force powers.

If Yoda doesn't have a lightsaber than he could never win, A jedi uses the force for defense or knowledge never for attacking

edit also lightsabers are the symbol of the jedi it doesn't make any sense that Yoda at the height of his Jedi career wouldn't carry one

Elfgames has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Jan 18, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jedit posted:

The survivors were all obviously traumatised, there were signs of a siege - remember that the church doors were barricaded from the outside - several people who had been inside were missing entirely, and the area was known for its homeless problem.

Yeah, it seems logical that the police just blamed Alice Cooper and his posse.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Force users, Jedi and Sith, are basically walking WMDs.

quote:

[Luke can't levitate his X-Wing out of the bog]
Luke: I can't. It's too big.
Yoda: Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

Whilst the Jedi are, theoretically, bound by a code to do no harm and only use the force as a defensive measure, there's nothing really stopping the Sith reaching into you with the force and pinching off your carotid artery or crushing your heart. Or at the other end of the scale a force user(or users) could rip a planet or star apart, no need for a Death Star or a Starkiller base.
If we take what Yoda says above at face value, size ain't poo poo to the force so be careful what you say around those force using dudes. Really the Republic should be rounding up any force sensitives and wiping them out before they start experimenting with their powers. Even if they are Jedi there's the remote possibility of them falling to the dark side so they should be taken out too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

Force users, Jedi and Sith, are basically walking WMDs.

Whilst the Jedi are, theoretically, bound by a code to do no harm and only use the force as a defensive measure, there's nothing really stopping the Sith reaching into you with the force and pinching off your carotid artery or crushing your heart. Or at the other end of the scale a force user(or users) could rip a planet or star apart, no need for a Death Star or a Starkiller base.
If we take what Yoda says above at face value, size ain't poo poo to the force so be careful what you say around those force using dudes. Really the Republic should be rounding up any force sensitives and wiping them out before they start experimenting with their powers. Even if they are Jedi there's the remote possibility of them falling to the dark side so they should be taken out too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Please don't be using 'force-sensitive' as a euphemism for 'Muslim'.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

kizudarake posted:

You can't stop me. I won't allow them to impose the Jedi Code Sharia upon my country.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Hmmm, yes. Star Wars.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

kizudarake posted:

Uhhh, I'm sorry, but Enemy Mine taught me that Dracs are the real Space Muslims. You can shove Jedis up Mickey Mouse's rear end in a top hat, praise Shismarrrrr (PBUH).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dr_Amazing posted:

You just need the right gloves. There must be a jedi that used a light saber version of brass knuckles. That guy could do it.

Funny you should mention that...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cutting yourself with a sword is so difficult that grabbing the blade with your bare hands and wailing on the other due with the handle is an actual move in sword fighting.

Of course that wouldn't work with a laser sword.

This move is called the Mordhau (MURDERSTROKE) by the way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Smoke posted:

It's more of a "The droid escaped and is now with at least one person who might lead it to/be from the Resistance" thing, not related to who or what she is at all. Finn's presence also makes it worse because if you can't trust your Stormtroopers who can you trust?

No, they tell him the droid got away and he's calm. It's only when they say it got away with a girl that he goes off.

He clearly knows something about Rey and that she's on Jakku, and just the chance of it being her with BB8 makes him flip out.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No, they tell him the droid got away and he's calm. It's only when they say it got away with a girl that he goes off.

He clearly knows something about Rey and that she's on Jakku, and just the chance of it being her with BB8 makes him flip out.

Maybe he sensed a Force User/Force Sensitive person nearby, and was able to tell that it was female. He detects his father when he arrives on the same planet/superweapon so it's not too far off to think that he detected her during his time over Jakku and put it all together when the droid ended up with a girl. He might even assume Luke was training Jedi or something since right now his whereabouts are a total mystery to Kylo.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Aphrodite posted:

I just saw it the one time but I'm positive it was the fact that Fin was involved that flipped him out. One of his child soldiers raised from birth to be completely loyal, has not only deserted and run off. But now he's actively helping the other side and loving Kaylo over even more.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

I just saw it the one time but I'm positive it was the fact that Fin was involved that flipped him out. One of his child soldiers raised from birth to be completely loyal, has not only deserted and run off. But now he's actively helping the other side and loving Kaylo over even more.

He does flip out when they mention Finn helped. Thats when he trashes the console. Then he asks if there's anything else. The officer mentions a girl, and Kylo force pulls him into a choke and asks super intensely, "What girl!?"

So I'm thinking he definitely knows she's significant in some way.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Canemacar posted:

He does flip out when they mention Finn helped. Thats when he trashes the console. Then he asks if there's anything else. The officer mentions a girl, and Kylo force pulls him into a choke and asks super intensely, "What girl!?"

So I'm thinking he definitely knows she's significant in some way.

He's probably aware of his cousins existence in some way

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm almost positive they're setting up a connection between Luke and Rey for the sole reason that they want a tone reversed callback scene in the 2nd one where Luke says "I am your father" and instead of it being horrifying it's heartfelt. That's basically Disney: A bit hacky and you can see it coming miles away, but it'll work anyway because people eat up that kind of thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I heard they already filmed the love scene between Luke and Rey

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Please don't kinkshame.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I never thought the Irritating Movie Moments thread would be the thread to make me want to watch the new Staw Wars, but I really want to see how all this plays out now and I hope Kylo does the "Well, what is it?" Gesture from Dark Souls at some point.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The death of the EU was a mercy killing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

ChogsEnhour posted:

I never thought the Irritating Movie Moments thread would be the thread to make me want to watch the new Staw Wars, but I really want to see how all this plays out now and I hope Kylo does the "Well, what is it?" Gesture from Dark Souls at some point.

Go see the star war

it's good

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

He's probably aware of his cousins existence in some way

That's what I'm thinking. Personally, I suspect he was the one who hid her on Jakku after he couldn't bring himself to kill his baby cousin during his massacre.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm almost positive they're setting up a connection between Luke and Rey for the sole reason that they want a tone reversed callback scene in the 2nd one where Luke says "I am your father" and instead of it being horrifying it's heartfelt. That's basically Disney: A bit hacky and you can see it coming miles away, but it'll work anyway because people eat up that kind of thing.

Hacky or not, I'd be down with that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just took it to mean that he was surprised Finn had some help. Dude has never been on Jakku except for when he was tasked with killing people, ends up with a droid that has a map Ren desperately needs, and then boom, Finn gets ANOTHER person involved somehow and it seems like the whole "Just go to the planet and get the only functional droid" plan is snowballing into some gigantic clusterfuck.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

LUKE: "No, Rey... I am your father."
REY: "That's not true! That's impossible!" *jumps 500 feet into the sky*

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

LUKE: "No, Rey... I am your father."
REY: "That's not true! That's impossible!" *jumps 500 feet into the sky*

Pretty good airtime for a girl who just had her foot cut off.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What, not enough power for nipplesabers?