Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can you get a tow hitch for a Subaru Justy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

1500quidporsche posted:

Can you get a tow hitch for a Subaru Justy?

No but you can get a tow hitch for your FC! You're just limited to 800lbs.

Without further ado, I present to you, 1500quidporsche's Porsche 924:

It smells exactly like all of my previous 7's - rich, oily and 80's.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
As soon as the PO came out with the Haynes manual I knew exactly what had gone wrong during his tenure.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks for the pictures McTinkerson.

Still can't get over how clean the drat thing is. Although I think I'm going to need to learn some basic paint touch up skills this summer or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:holymoley:

Holy poo poo. That body is shocking. Even the gas supports for the hatch work? :monocle: The interior and underhood looks amazing.

Even with the suspension needing some TLC and a waterpump, that thing is a time capsule and you stole it. Congrats.

I would love to see a carfax on that thing and find out its history. I would be surprised if it was an Edmonton car all this time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Technically, 1500 is the second owner since the guy he bought it from never registered bit. The car is originally from St Albert, apparently owned by an older woman....yeah, let that sink in.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
There's no way thats a Canadian car... theres just no way

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

:holymoley:

Holy poo poo. That body is shocking. Even the gas supports for the hatch work? :monocle: The interior and underhood looks amazing.

Even with the suspension needing some TLC and a waterpump, that thing is a time capsule and you stole it. Congrats.

I would love to see a carfax on that thing and find out its history. I would be surprised if it was an Edmonton car all this time.

Hell man, the light on the gas strut even works.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is this half ton poo poo. There are no domestic half ton trucks made. A modern 1500/150 is legally rated to tow more than my 2011 ram 2500.

F150's can be spec'd to tow over 11,000lbs.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

jonathan posted:

What is this half ton poo poo. There are no domestic half ton trucks made. A modern 1500/150 is legally rated to tow more than my 2011 ram 2500.

F150's can be spec'd to tow over 11,000lbs.

Dodge Dakota maybe?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

As soon as the PO came out with the Haynes manual I knew exactly what had gone wrong during his tenure.

Better than Chilton :colbert:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
What's wrong with having Haynes manuals? I haven't kept my owners manuals but I have kept my Haynes...

jonathan posted:

There are no domestic half ton trucks made.

A bit of googling leads to these estimates for maximum load, or GVWR minus empty weight of the vehicle:
Dodge Dakota - 1400 lbs
Chevy Colorado - 1400 lbs
Toyota Tacoma (assembled in California, Mexico, and Texas, so I'm calling it domestic) - 1400 lbs

EDIT: Nissan Frontier is assembled in Mississippi, and comes out in the same ballpark.

I'm rounding to the nearest 100 lbs based on averages from various trim levels and discussions on model-specific forums. "Compact" pickups of the current generation (2015 or 2016 model year) all seem to end up just shy of 3/4 ton, so I guess your point is true. It is also very easy to find pictures and discussions by various owners showing their trucks being technically overloaded - lots of compact trucks out there with 1500 lbs in the bed - but still an inch or so above the rear bump stops.

I'm not motivated enough to track down the corollary: when the last truly 1/2-ton truck was made in North America (if one ever was).

Perhaps trucks have always been colloquially named for a bit less than their actual capacity? This would make sense if you consider that the maximum load, as the internet has calculated it, includes EVERYTHING in or on the vehicle, meaning people, fuel, interior luggage, and whatever is piled up in the bed, while the intuitive, popular conception is just what's in the back. 400 lbs seems like a reasonable estimate for a couple of people and a full tank of gas, leaving 1/2 ton for cargo (until one considers the weight of the average American).

EDIT: Further nerding out over at Truck Yeah

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ExecuDork posted:

What's wrong with having Haynes manuals? I haven't kept my owners manuals but I have kept my Haynes...

A bit of googling leads to these estimates for maximum load, or GVWR minus empty weight of the vehicle:
Dodge Dakota - 1400 lbs
Chevy Colorado - 1400 lbs
Toyota Tacoma (assembled in California, Mexico, and Texas, so I'm calling it domestic) - 1400 lbs

EDIT: Nissan Frontier is assembled in Mississippi, and comes out in the same ballpark.

I'm rounding to the nearest 100 lbs based on averages from various trim levels and discussions on model-specific forums. "Compact" pickups of the current generation (2015 or 2016 model year) all seem to end up just shy of 3/4 ton, so I guess your point is true. It is also very easy to find pictures and discussions by various owners showing their trucks being technically overloaded - lots of compact trucks out there with 1500 lbs in the bed - but still an inch or so above the rear bump stops.

I'm not motivated enough to track down the corollary: when the last truly 1/2-ton truck was made in North America (if one ever was).

Perhaps trucks have always been colloquially named for a bit less than their actual capacity? This would make sense if you consider that the maximum load, as the internet has calculated it, includes EVERYTHING in or on the vehicle, meaning people, fuel, interior luggage, and whatever is piled up in the bed, while the intuitive, popular conception is just what's in the back. 400 lbs seems like a reasonable estimate for a couple of people and a full tank of gas, leaving 1/2 ton for cargo (until one considers the weight of the average American).

EDIT: Further nerding out over at Truck Yeah

What I meant was, the "half ton" class, Ram 1500, Ford F150, GM/Chev 1500 are all well over the American 1000lb or even the Metric ton 500kg payload. I forgot about the Tundra, Titan etc, but in all honesty does anyone even use those for anything other than hauling mountain bikes and kayaks ?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

What I meant was, the "half ton" class, Ram 1500, Ford F150, GM/Chev 1500 are all well over the American 1000lb or even the Metric ton 500kg payload. I forgot about the Tundra, Titan etc, but in all honesty does anyone even use those for anything other than hauling mountain bikes and kayaks ?

No argument from me! There's a bit about how misleading those old categories are in that long-ish piece I linked.

And let's not even think about the distressingly-common misunderstanding that's out there among the general public, that such names correspond to the weight of the vehicle. Some people just have absolutely NO IDEA about how much a goddam thing weighs.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ExecuDork posted:

No argument from me! There's a bit about how misleading those old categories are in that long-ish piece I linked.

And let's not even think about the distressingly-common misunderstanding that's out there among the general public, that such names correspond to the weight of the vehicle. Some people just have absolutely NO IDEA about how much a goddam thing weighs.

Thats a great article. Especially the bit about the F150 that can haul a payload of over 3000lbs.

It also goes to show why the GVW system is mixed up and kind of dumb.

For example, the gear ratio option in my truck's diff will vary the tow rating by over 3000lbs.
Or that a single cab short wheel base has a higher tow capacity than a long box crew cab, because the truck is lighter. Or LOL the single rear axle can tow more than the dually rear.

I'd take the heaviest longest widest pickup option as the most capable and safe tow vehicle, but the law says otherwise because math.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, in 1999, all ford super duty's were rated at the same 20,000lb gcwr.

That means my little F250 at 5800lbs is good for 14,200lbs, a loaded 4x4 cclb dually F350 at 8200lbs is only legal for 11,800lbs towing.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 13, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

That means my little F250 at 5800lbs is good for 14,200lbs, a loaded 4x4 cclb dually F350 at 8200lbs is only legal for 11,800lbs towing.

That's loving awesome.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Another data point - my '15 F150 weighs 4580lbs and is rated to tow 12000lbs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you are old enough you might actually remember the terms half ton and heavy half which were 100 series as in F100 or C1000 and the heavies were the 150/1500.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

If you are old enough you might actually remember the terms half ton and heavy half which were 100 series as in F100 or C1000 and the heavies were the 150/1500.

Son, back in my day even the cars were good for half a ton.

That's I looked up what the tow rating was, via popular science of march 1973.

I guess 7000lbs is enough. How fuckin rad would it be seeing a mark IV blasting down the highway pulling a 34 foot airstream.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That would look awesome. Keep in mind tow ratings do not equate to an infinitely long trailer. It is very easy to get a tail wagging the dog scenario when towing something too long even if the weight is within spec. Wheelbase is a big help although that Lincoln probably has a wheelbase rivaling trucks I imagine.

Around Lethbridge it's always fun watching a midsize SUV towing too long of a trailer in a nice cross wind. Knuckles would be as white as Casper the ghost

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

That would look awesome. Keep in mind tow ratings do not equate to an infinitely long trailer. It is very easy to get a tail wagging the dog scenario when towing something too long even if the weight is within spec. Wheelbase is a big help although that Lincoln probably has a wheelbase rivaling trucks I imagine.

Around Lethbridge it's always fun watching a midsize SUV towing too long of a trailer in a nice cross wind. Knuckles would be as white as Casper the ghost

You probably don't see it being down on the ground, but you should see the kind of hell those guys towing turnpike doubles with a short as possible truck. Constant full 1/4 turn corrections.

These guys here have a tough loving time in that no stopping zone north of calgary. That's whey they lay down for a nap there so often.

they look so peaceful when they're sleeping.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

2016 is the year that keeps on giving, between Napa and Autovalue I managed to track down a water pump for the RX7 and parking brake cables for the Scirocco both should be here tomorrow and were reasonably priced.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

They'll be wrong. You'll instead get a waterpump for a Kia RX-V and cables for a Passat.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

2016 is the year that keeps on giving, between Napa and Autovalue I managed to track down a water pump for the RX7 and parking brake cables for the Scirocco both should be here tomorrow and were reasonably priced.

Nice! I'm pumped for you to have that car bombing around. It's so pretty. :allears:

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
The 3/4 ton trucks are even funnier for payload:

GMC 2500 - 3152 lbs
Ford F250 - 4240 lbs
Ram 2500 - 3060 lbs

So a ton and a half for the weakest, and over two tons for the strongest.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nomex posted:

The 3/4 ton trucks are even funnier for payload:

GMC 2500 - 3152 lbs
Ford F250 - 4240 lbs
Ram 2500 - 3060 lbs

So a ton and a half for the weakest, and over two tons for the strongest.

The modern 2500 and 3500's are identical other than the leaf spring pack (or in the case of the dodge, a coil version or a leaf spring version)

Also the older gen Dodge Megacab 1500 was a heavy half, it was just a rebadged 2500/3500 with a lower gvwr for insurance.

For the ram 2500, the gas motor ones come with a corporate 14 bolt (same as the GM but with a rubber cover gasket instead of cork) and the diesels get larger 11.5" ring diffs

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Had to choose between a head on and the ditch this afternoon. I can't post a photo but they figure the trailer is going to be over $100,000 to fix. The tractor who knows. 2014 kW :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jonathan posted:

Had to choose between a head on and the ditch this afternoon. I can't post a photo but they figure the trailer is going to be over $100,000 to fix. The tractor who knows. 2014 kW :(

A head-on with what?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yikes, you OK?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup, bruised ego but otherwise good. I should have steered into the ditch instead of putting a tire in the edge and then trying to recover but the brain and the muscles often have different ideas.

It was some sort of picker truck/service truck so hitting it would likely have sent me to the hospital and killed the other guy. Luckily I had fresh water on, and not the condensate/hydrocarbons I normally haul.

Truck weighed in right around 56 metric tons. Luckily we have all the equipment to unload it then pick it up out of the ditch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did the other guy stop to help?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus, glad you seem to be OK. :ohdear:

When you feel up to it more specifics.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wow that loving blows man.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It sounds like it could have been so much worse...at the end of the day, machines can be replaced.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
lovely deal. A buddy and I met a 5 ton who was making a blind pass uphill in a snowstorm on a 2 lane on the untwinned part of Hwy 63 recently. My buddy took the shoulder, and the 5 ton pushed the cars he was passing onto his shoulder as well. I took the middle, and thankfully nobody spun into me.

The 63 never changes

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Buddy of mine just texted me this photo. Coming back into town after work last night doing about 110. Felt a small thud, didn't think much of it. Drove another 25k to Lethbridge and was stopping for a light on University Drive (for those of you that know it, busy road) when all of a sudden OH poo poo OH poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Yup, bruised ego but otherwise good. I should have steered into the ditch instead of putting a tire in the edge and then trying to recover but the brain and the muscles often have different ideas.

It was some sort of picker truck/service truck so hitting it would likely have sent me to the hospital and killed the other guy. Luckily I had fresh water on, and not the condensate/hydrocarbons I normally haul.

Truck weighed in right around 56 metric tons. Luckily we have all the equipment to unload it then pick it up out of the ditch.

That sucks, but it usually takes about 3 of those before they won't insure you anymore. Good thing you're not hurt considering the kind of protection you have in the cab of that truck. New trailers are going for $65k and new trucks for $125k, so as long as the insurance company doesn't try to gently caress around, you probably did your company a favor, hopefully they see it that way too.

it was a similar scenario that led to this, you can see tried steering into it, but the shape of the ditch meant it didn't do any fuckin good. The fact that i did steer into it at all is probably what kept the wheels pointing down.

slidebite posted:

Buddy of mine just texted me this photo. Coming back into town after work last night doing about 110. Felt a small thud, didn't think much of it. Drove another 25k to Lethbridge and was stopping for a light on University Drive (for those of you that know it, busy road) when all of a sudden OH poo poo OH poo poo

That's pretty normal. There has been a recall to deal with this kind of thing for basically every half ton ram since 1994. Dodge also hid a bunch of these issues, and did recall campaigns with known faulty parts to the point where they were forced to buy back ~600k trucks.

Take the vin, check for outsanding recalls and recall services done.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll let him know that, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tires on my Matrix need replacing, and I'm having my usual dilemma about all weathers again vs. getting a dedicated set of winter tires for life in Calgary. I do go into the mountains occasionally so I should probably get a second set of winters but I have a set of chains in the back in case things get really bad--but I never go out there if the forecast is for bad weather. And Calgary is such mild winter weather I never really felt like I needed the winter tires I bought when I first moved here. Thoughts? Also recommendations for tire shops in cow town would be appreciated.