Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Akion posted:

Is there any reason you can't just "Exit to main menu" as soon as you start getting scanned on a Robigo run?

Are you considered "in danger" when a scan starts? If so, then you'd have a 15-second quit timer, which is longer than the scans take to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Got to 16% of Ensign, so I can get every Fed ship besides the Corvette, but I won't be there any time soon. Gonna call it quits while I'm still sane, maybe try my hand at Robigo again armed with the "gently caress this" option of killing the .exe in task manager.

Although my Empire rep is garbage and those ships are dang pretty.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Akion posted:

Is there any reason you can't just "Exit to main menu" as soon as you start getting scanned on a Robigo run?
If it's because you were just interdicted by a cop, you'll have the combat timer (which will take longer than the scan) to contend with. Just shoot the cop and jump away in those cases.

If they followed you out of supercruise to a station, then exiting to the menu is the recommended course of action.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So remember when 1.4 dropped and everyone was like the Federal Gunship's landing gear makes no sense? (They actually said, "lol this thing is poo poo" but that's neither here nor there.)

It was fixed at some point, immersion restored :woop:

(:thejoke:: in 1.4 those rear landing legs weren't there so it looked like it should tip on its rear end)

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

If it's because you were just interdicted by a cop, you'll have the combat timer (which will take longer than the scan) to contend with. Just shoot the cop and jump away in those cases.

If they followed you out of supercruise to a station, then exiting to the menu is the recommended course of action.

I love smuggling in this game but I exit to menu any time it decides it's going to chain interdict me perfectly nonstop. The worst is when you actually kill the duder and somehow his twin brother or what the hell ever decides it's time to try again.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

YellerBill posted:

The cannon packs a massive punch against hull, against shields it doesn't hold a candle to the PAC but it uses far less energy so that gives you even more room to play with builds. I prefer the huge cannon to the PAC on the Fer-de-lance but that's just me.

4 beam lasers and a cannon it is then.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah I was super disappointed with the PAC, it uses a rediculous amount of energy, it's actually far less efficient in terms of damage per energy than the C3 PAC for some reason. If the cannon projectile moved at a half decent speed it would be nice though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cannons were nerfed heavily in the beta, especially their projectile speed.

It was probably needed, they used to be god tier. They went a bit too far though IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RUZLxcBRFQ

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I'm having problems breaking into exploring. As it stands, I'm flying an adder with a basic discovery scanner and an detailed surface scanner. I usually just set my map to show only the stars with the highest probability of habitable planets (FGK) and just... meander.

Most of the systems I find have very few, if any, planets. I have yet to find one that's high value. I made way more money just doing surface recovery missions (salvage, escape pods), and I'm sort of wondering if I should just wait to continue exploring until I can spend the money on an advanced discovery scanner.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does anyone have a good configuration for a Steam Controller in this game? Does it control well?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm having problems breaking into exploring. As it stands, I'm flying an adder with a basic discovery scanner and an detailed surface scanner. I usually just set my map to show only the stars with the highest probability of habitable planets (FGK) and just... meander.

Most of the systems I find have very few, if any, planets. I have yet to find one that's high value. I made way more money just doing surface recovery missions (salvage, escape pods), and I'm sort of wondering if I should just wait to continue exploring until I can spend the money on an advanced discovery scanner.

I just did bounty hunting in a RES site until I could afford the advanced scanner. When I went out and explored I found that the vast majority of things (stars included in multi-star systems) would not have been visible on a basic discovery scanner without flying all over the drat place and getting lucky.

I can't imagine the pain of trying to do exploration with the basic scanner.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah I was super disappointed with the PAC, it uses a rediculous amount of energy, it's actually far less efficient in terms of damage per energy than the C3 PAC for some reason. If the cannon projectile moved at a half decent speed it would be nice though.

After I accidentally/miraculously killed an Anaconda in HazRES with nothing but 3 dual C4 PAC volleys in about 15 seconds I am never ever going back.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Your not going to make big bucks exploring, and without an advanced scanner you will be barely making anything. Remember that basic scanners only see about 500 ls away from themselves and intermediate only see about 1000 ls. Almost all of the planets in a system will not be in that 500 bubble. And you'll waste a ton of time flying around hoping to get lucky. Do what others recommend and either do res bounty hunting or nav beacon if your not that skilled at combat. Compared to those to make a million or so take some luck and about 4 hours or so depending on what stars and planets you find, and it will probably take days with that basic to buy an advanced scanner and poor luck.

How's the adder work out anyways? I went straight for a cobra once I decided to try out exploring and found it worked out well, disregarding the poor jump distance at times. I looked over the adder but I figured it be a bit to fragile for much long distance traveling.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Throne of Bhalz posted:

As already said, get the Advanced Scanner which has infinite range, lots of planets/stars are WAY farther than the 500ls range of the basic scanner. The intermediate ups it to 1000ls and is lovely too for the very same reason and also costs a bunch when starting out, so avoid it. The Adder is a good ship for exploring, not the best jump range but has enough space for the basics: advanced scanner, detailed scanner, the biggest and best fuel scoop you can get, and some shields in case you get interdicted while around inhabited space. Pack a heatsink and an AFM module too, just in case you run into trouble with binary stars / pirates / Thargoids...

Sometimes you can hit the jackpot and discover lots of valuable planets just going to a few systems, but usually finding an earth-like or valuable planets like waterworlds, metallics, terraformables and gas giants with water/ammonia based life is kind of rare. I haven't explored much, my stats say something like 1000 bodies scanned, and none of them were earthlikes, a bunch (maybe 10-15?) water worlds is the best I've got, then in approximate rarity order terraformables, metallics and gas giants with ammonia/water based life. (Probably one could do much better than that with actual astronomic knowledge and route planning, I just set the controls for a far off landmark and randomly check out systems along the way while plastering my name on random lovely stars and icy worlds I discover first - my name is in about 30 systems in random places relatively close to the inhabited bubble:v: )

Also exploration doesn't pay off nearly as well as any other activity, even courier mission running will give you better money-time ratio... if you want that space money, forget about exploring, it's more for sightseeing really.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 17, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Wait until you can afford an Advanced Scanner and Detailed Surface Scanner.

Some stats from my last Space Madness to Sagittarius A* and back:

2678 Systems Scanned
~55,000 LY Traveled
~62,000,000 Credits Earned

That trip took about a month of casual play to complete.

Exploration is to cure Space Madness, not make money.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

^^ Holy poo poo. I'm assuming that your exploration data doesn't disappear if you get blown up?

The Locator posted:

I just did bounty hunting in a RES site until I could afford the advanced scanner. When I went out and explored I found that the vast majority of things (stars included in multi-star systems) would not have been visible on a basic discovery scanner without flying all over the drat place and getting lucky.

I can't imagine the pain of trying to do exploration with the basic scanner.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do the same. It feels like it's not even remotely worth my time right now unless I'm seeing everything. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

^^ Holy poo poo. I'm assuming that your exploration data doesn't disappear if you get blown up?

No, your data is gone if you get blown up. So don't crash into stars.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
There's money to be made exploring, by exploiting the way the stellar forge models things and hanging out in a huge cluster of neutron stars near the galactic core, but even that is a pittance compared to most everything else in the game. You explore because you want to go sightseeing and hang out in the middle of nowhere and they give you a little money when you come back.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can stations have sales on ships and equipment? Or do I have to rely on Li Yong Rui's 15% discount for my major buying needs?

I'm saving up for a Federal Assault Ship so I'm just curious if I can get it cheaper than the market price somewhere.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Can stations have sales on ships and equipment? Or do I have to rely on Li Yong Rui's 15% discount for my major buying needs?

I'm saving up for a Federal Assault Ship so I'm just curious if I can get it cheaper than the market price somewhere.

We should all pledge to LYR for a week and expand him into Xihe.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Jimbot posted:

They do sometimes have community goals that relax the rank requirements and add a discount (which stacks with existing discounts, ask me about my 15m Clipper hull :haw:) but we haven't had any of the FAS yet as far as I'm aware.

Your current best bet for the FAS will be to buy it from LHS 20 which is a Yong-mart with his 15% discount.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Cannons were nerfed heavily in the beta, especially their projectile speed.

It was probably needed, they used to be god tier. They went a bit too far though IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RUZLxcBRFQ

I miss the old cannons. The current ones are a huge pain in the rear end to actually get to fire (they never seem to fire when I want them to), let alone actually hit anything. Their velocity is so low that I'm pretty sure I could throw something at the target and have a better chance of hitting it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gonkish posted:

I miss the old cannons. The current ones are a huge pain in the rear end to actually get to fire (they never seem to fire when I want them to), let alone actually hit anything. Their velocity is so low that I'm pretty sure I could throw something at the target and have a better chance of hitting it.
The trick to using cannons in their current form is to treat them like a sawed-off shotgun and get in real close (like <100m close) to use them. Also, don't use gimballed cannons. The gimbals lie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mercurius posted:

They do sometimes have community goals that relax the rank requirements and add a discount (which stacks with existing discounts, ask me about my 15m Clipper hull :haw:) but we haven't had any of the FAS yet as far as I'm aware.

Your current best bet for the FAS will be to buy it from LHS 20 which is a Yong-mart with his 15% discount.

Awesome, thanks. My next question was going to be "If not, where in his space can I get Federal craft?" and that answers that.

What's the bare minimum cost for a good RES hunting loadout on the Federal Assault ship, anyway?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Akion posted:

I know it's already been answered but my answer would be: conditionally, yes. Typically if you're motoring along at a station and the scan starts, you will be inside before it finishes. But if you biffed the mailbox entry and then the station guards scan you- might as well drop to menu. Or if the security guy literally spawns on top of you after you drop out of supercruise.

Basically the only time you can't exit to menu is right out of an interdiction, and in those cases you should just be boosting away the second it happens. I've done probably 100+ smuggling missions at this point and never had a scan successfully complete.

That said- interdiction is currently a seriously unfun pain in the rear end. It feels like there's no way to avoid it while in SC when an NPC announces they're coming for you as you try to get to a station, and the interdiction itself seems to be impossible to escape 90% of the time, and if you submit (and submission doesn't bug and give you the long timer) and jump back to supercruise the NPC just respawns and does it again and again. And then, assuming you get to the station, they magically spawn right on top of you no matter how far away they were in supercruise and scan you anyway! I've gotten to the point where if I see a security NPC coming for me in a mission system I just exit to menu and change instances. It feels cheap and cheaty but the alternative is 5+ minutes of start-stop B.S. that you can't escape or do anything about.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Jimbot posted:

Awesome, thanks. My next question was going to be "If not, where in his space can I get Federal craft?" and that answers that.

What's the bare minimum cost for a good RES hunting loadout on the Federal Assault ship, anyway?

Expect something in the neighborhood of 25-30 million cr.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gonkish posted:

The not firing thing happens all the time to me too, and sucks. But hitting things isn't that hard, especially against their intended targets - big fat slow ships.

I try to always be around 300-500 meters max from things I am shooting, and from that range I rarely miss, mostly if they boost suddenly.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

YellerBill posted:

I don't think I'd fly anything for RES without an A class power distributor considering how much cheaper it usually is compared to other components of the same size. It'll cost you another 3M but make your life a hell of a lot better.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

YellerBill posted:

Personally I'd trust the armor tank and run chaff/chaff/KWS/1 shield booster but that's a solid start!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Arrath posted:

Personally I'd trust the armor tank and run chaff/chaff/KWS/1 shield booster but that's a solid start!

Yeah, don't bother with shield boosters on the FAS. 20% boosts to something tiny just makes it a bit larger than tiny. You'll get much better damage prevention from dropping chaff and using your maneuverability.

Just accept that part of playing the FAS is your shields going down during heated engagements, but that's why you have loads of armor, and a tiny bi-wave shield means it comes back online very quickly to soak up a few more hits. About the only time my FAS approaches 50% hull damage is when I attack wings of Anacondas and Vultures or some poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The worst part about the current Community Goal thing (the anti-pirate one in Araware or whatever it's called) is that there are so damned many cops and NPC 'good guys' in that stupid LowRES that at least once every 30 minutes one of those morons will come zipping past me at an angle flying right into my fire, causing all 12~15 cops to go red and immediately stop shooting the bad guy and start shooting me. They don't shoot the stupid NPC's that accidentally shoot me when I get in their way, fuckers shouldn't get so pissy about a single friendly-fire thing when I don't even ding their shields much.

Also starting to look like it's not even going to hit the threshold to get to tier 1, so I'll get nothing for doing this anyway, except a whole lot less money than I would have if I'd stayed in a HighRES all this time.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So I really want to get rank 5 with a galactic power, any galactic power, and get the 50 million payout for a few weeks to build a ship I'm interested in setting up. Is there a faction I can more easily do this in?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So I really want to get rank 5 with a galactic power, any galactic power, and get the 50 million payout for a few weeks to build a ship I'm interested in setting up. Is there a faction I can more easily do this in?

Don't do it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Grinding to level 2 was bad enough for me. This is not a time effective way to make money. Do Robigo or wait for another exploit to come out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I keep mine at 1500 and that's a pain. Better to just RES hunt if you want money. You do the power stuff if you want a little bit of structure to your game. It's more for personal goals than anything else - like exploration.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Xae posted:

We should all pledge to LYR for a week and expand him into Xihe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OO9t-iH6kE

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I keep mine at 1500 and that's a pain. Better to just RES hunt if you want money. You do the power stuff if you want a little bit of structure to your game. It's more for personal goals than anything else - like exploration.

I've got a decently setup Vulture but RES hunting is pretty slow going. Getting the 90 million together would be a real pain just doing RES I suspect.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I've got a decently setup Vulture but RES hunting is pretty slow going. Getting the 90 million together would be a real pain just doing RES I suspect.

It will be exponentially more of a pain to do through powerplay.

edit: RESing will go faster if you get a bigger ship; a Clipper or something. Even if you don't have the money yet you can get it together before too long. The Python is a big step up too but judging from the amount of money you're looking for that might be your end goal.

Going to a far away station and taking as many smuggling missions (that don't fail when you get scanned) for about a million a pop is a good way to change it up too.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 18, 2016

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Man I'm at Tamar and there is nothing like that sweet sweet Tun charity train for Empire. Gonna try Liabeze next I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I am doing Robigo runs to turn my Python into a murder machine. Just finished one, will probably do one more and should have the money.

Planning to run 2 C3 beams in the top slots and a C3 cannon in the bottom. Would I be better with some different loadout? I don't like loving with fixed weapons so this seems decent.

• Locked thread