Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Rewatching the newest episode a few times, I have to say I liked some parts but was disappointed by others.

Parts I liked:
*I really like the new orchestral track for the Gear Fourth transformation!
*I actually liked the "fooooooooosu!" line and kabuki facial expressions. That, the music, the Buddhist deity of wrath (Nio) cloth-like wisps of smoke around the shoulders, the fierce frown and no nonsense attitude, and weird metal spring bounce sound effects really make Luffy seem like he's transformed into a real monster. He's not messing around, and he's going to kick your rear end all over the place.
Note: The alternative name for Nio is Kongōrikishi, which probably means Kong Gun has a double-meaning with King Kong as a gorilla with animal-themed attacks as well as fitting with Luffy's wrathful nature after making his friends upset. :eng101:
*I kind of liked the actual transformation scene. It didn't seem too... Akira-y with the extending limbs, if that makes sense.
*I also kind of like the shiny black and red highlights in the arms. It's like his blood and muscle is glowing through his skin.
*The cranking back and exploding force sfx with Kong Gun is pretty cool
*Using the old-school Luffy fight music after "This crappy attack won't work on me!" bouncing back Doffy's Athlete Tread was a nice throw-back to the beginning of One Piece to show how Luffy is totally wrecking and out-classing Doffy

Parts I didn't like:
*The usual filler padding. The "Oh no! The bird's cage is closing in!" routine is getting really old and it's been done every. single. episode. Even the manga wasn't that bad about it.
*Baby 5's wife schtick is way overdone as well to the point of cringe. It was funny like once or twice as a gag, but now it's just aggravating.
*Bartolomeo's Luffy-sempai thing. Overdone, but still amusing I guess.
*I agree, the Gear Fourth bouncing I imagined in the manga was like a super bouncy ball that kids play with, instead of physically jumping up and down like it looks like here.
*Really disappointed with the sonic boom sfx as Doffy was being thrown in the air with Kong Gun. I imagined more of a high-pitched lightning crack and thunder peal rather than the low rumble we got.
*Luffy's legs turning into jet-like fire blasts when "flying" looked really weird in a bad way, IMO. I imagined Geppou-like blurs versus literal jet-engine flames.
*They put on the sandals with Rhino Schneider (I think this was an animator oversight), which also looked a hell of lot less impactful than in the manga. It really looked like it hit Doffy's face like a truck through the Haki in the manga, whereas here it's a lot plainer.
*Some of the angles on Luffy in Gear Fourth made him look really wonky, like him hovering in the air before the Athlete Tread bit.
*The Culverin Python bit was way, way too overextended to the point of it looking really bad. Like another poster mentioned, it made it look like his arms stretched out for a million miles following Doffy, smashing through an Overheat, then connecting, when in the manga it was just a clever bait-and-switch. Basically ruined the point of this whole scene that Luffy was more agile and clever in eclipsing Doffy at this point IMO.

Bonus *huge* end of Luffy vs Doffy fight manga-spoiler related negative point

...AKA don't read this if you're only watching the anime!:
*I really, really didn't like the extended fight in the air filler scene at the end of the episode because a big point emphasized by the end of the fight is that Luffy is taking a huge risk by going flying up and taking Doffy head-on in the air, which is supposed to be Doffy's natural advantage kind of like Fishmen in the water. That's what makes Luffy's final King Kong Gun attack so bad-rear end because he takes all that, spits in Doffy's eye, and slams him back into the ground. A literal and metaphorical smackdown to a guy so conceited and who has literally all of his life considered himself above everyone else being humbled by this rookie upstart.

So, like with Hody Jones, the animators basically eschew all of that nuance for some added filler that messes everything up. Ugh.

So, yeah, that's my extended :spergin: take on the episode. Some good mixed with a lot of bad. Looking forward to One Piece Kai, I guess.

e: I just keep comparing this episode to the Luffy Gear Second vs Blueno fight in my mind for what a shift into complete ownage should look like and it's just... Ugh. :sigh: The anime has really consistently gone downhill since Marineford and it's a drat shame.

Here, see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzGba31ces

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Andrew_1985 posted:

I'm just looking forward to some good Filler after Dressrosa. Surely they could pad it out with some adventures with the missing crew?

The Film z & G8 filler were really good. Or is that just me?

There's not even enough material to go on if they don't do that. Their is a perfect window right after this arc where a long period of time happens between them reaching the next island and it's easy to place filler there. If they don't do that, it;.'s very likely they'll catchup to the actual manga if Oda takes as many breaks as he did last year.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Decided to watch the episode because people were saying it was good.

Holy poo poo it's bad. It's just... ugly. I didn't realize the anime had somehow gotten so ugly. The pacing is as bad as it's been for literally years but between the animation getting even cheaper the colours being even more flat and the backgrounds being so nondescript that this could just as easily be anywhere in the world and the still pans being so shittily drawn that the can't even get a nose onto somebody's face properly during the intro which should have a higher budget...

How is it still getting shittier? I thought they had hit rock bottom years ago!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Decided to watch the episode because people were saying it was good.

Holy poo poo it's bad. It's just... ugly. I didn't realize the anime had somehow gotten so ugly. The pacing is as bad as it's been for literally years but between the animation getting even cheaper the colours being even more flat and the backgrounds being so nondescript that this could just as easily be anywhere in the world and the still pans being so shittily drawn that the can't even get a nose onto somebody's face properly during the intro which should have a higher budget...

How is it still getting shittier? I thought they had hit rock bottom years ago!

I call it the Bethesda effect. If it's gonna sell like hot cakes regardless of quality assurance, why not cut corners and maximize profit?

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Luffy's rythmically kicking the air to stay afloat in G4 yet he's staying completely still while doing so instead of floating up and down? This really bugged me for some reason.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spidder posted:

Luffy's rythmically kicking the air to stay afloat in G4 yet he's staying completely still while doing so instead of floating up and down? This really bugged me for some reason.

Pretty sure that's the anime effect. He came across as much more bouncy in the Manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the manga: more animated than the anime

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, looking at the manga again, it would've been a lot better if they for Kong Gun, jump-cut from the initial punch to beside the building, showed the shockwave effect, then a lightning strike-esque "BANG!" sound effect kind of like the delay between seeing lightning and hearing thunder.

See:

But, filler reasons. :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 17, 2016

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

When I say the episode was good, it comes with the disclaimer that I obviously fast forwarded past the intro, recap and easy to spot scenes of running away from birdcages and reaction shots.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

F. Lobot posted:

When I say the episode was good, it comes with the disclaimer that I obviously fast forwarded past the intro, recap and easy to spot scenes of running away from birdcages and reaction shots.

So, 5 minutes tops?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So, 5 minutes tops?
More, a lot more. Something like 15 minutes. It's loving crazy how much filler they have added and how bad it was.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Suspicious Lump posted:

More, a lot more. Something like 15 minutes. It's loving crazy how much filler they have added and how bad it was.

Are you including the filler added to new scenes from the manga?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Are you including the filler added to new scenes from the manga?
No idea, I don't read the manga. edit: The middle breakaway fadeout or whatever you call it is when the action really starts. So the first half of the episode is pretty much poo poo.

Captain Invictus posted:

gear fourth is cool and my friend and I won't let you talk bad about it

he is now a cross between a basketball and akuma from street fighter
Nah I love it. I think it's ridiculous in a good way. Luffy for once doesn't look comical and silly but badass and ... gamical (as in he looks like he came out of Wind Waker).

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 18, 2016

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Parts I liked:
*I really like the new orchestral track for the Gear Fourth transformation!

Same, at least the music in this show has not lost its touch. The animation I can somewhat forgive because it's One Piece but god drat does the music still own.

Gear FOOOOOOOOOOOOSUUUUUUUUU just owns in general. Holy poo poo!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Accidentally clicked this thread before catching up, decided to read the page anyway since no spoilers have mattered in like a year - turns out I was way wrong.
Immediately watched the latest episode when I got home, got hyped for Gear Fourth, but disappointed I'd have to wait a week, came back to read the rest of the posts - and then I realized I was *two* weeks behind.
Needless to say, this has been a very exciting day. :dance:

I saw Gear Fourth a couple of times as YouTube previews and such because of the manga people, but ignored it as dumb fan art like SSJ5 and 6 crap. Oda really seems to think air has some magic effect on rubber anatomy. I always thought that a more plausible technique to use with Gear Third would be to use the force all the built-up air somewhere in his body like his arm or whatever, building a tremendous amount of surface tension, and then forcing it all to another part quickly to rapidly stretch out for a punch or kick.
I really like his design, especially his kabuki face.
It certainly didn't have that first-time-Gear-Second feel, but it was still cool. I like that it seems we'll finally be getting more info on these fruits.
I like that he says it's not Gear Second or Third, but it basically is. Could he combine them?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 18, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shadow0 posted:

Some of it isn't animated well
you may be watching the wrong show

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

you may be watching the wrong show

Yeah, I rewatched it and wasn't sure what I was thinking. I came here to make that edit.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
He should be bouncing at several times faster a rate than what he seems to be...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Shadow0 posted:

I saw Gear Fourth a couple of times as YouTube previews and such because of the manga people, but ignored it as dumb fan art like SSJ5 and 6 crap. Oda really seems to think air has some magic effect on rubber anatomy. I always thought that a more plausible technique to use with Gear Third would be to use the force all the built-up air somewhere in his body like his arm or whatever, building a tremendous amount of surface tension, and then forcing it all to another part quickly to rapidly stretch out for a punch or kick.
I really like his design, especially his kabuki face.
It certainly didn't have that first-time-Gear-Second feel, but it was still cool. I like that it seems we'll finally be getting more info on these fruits.
I like that he says it's not Gear Second or Third, but it basically is. Could he combine them?

Spoiler for something that'll be explained in the next couple of episodes: Gear Fourth is basically Luffy blowing up his muscles like a balloon and using Colour of Armour Haki in an unorthodox way, to manipulate and harden his rubbery muscles (and body in general I guess).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Rhino Schneider looked pretty limp and mediocre in this episode.

In the manga:

Yeah, definitely looks like Doffy's getting hit by a freight train here. The stiffness on Luffy's feet and Doffy's face getting smushed in really make this shot.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The new attack names aren't nearly as fun as his older ones, imo. I think Gomu Gomu no Sniper, Mortar, or Howitzer would be good names, but obviously that's just my opinion. And all of these names are meant to appeal to Japanese listeners/readers, who might be thinking "Grizzly Magnum" or "Kong Gun" are pretty clever puns or something or might be more familiar with such terms.

The sunflower shirt combined with his new form kind of makes him look like a fat tourist or something, or like Your Dunkle Sans.
I guess he is kind of tourist.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Well they went more "bouncy ball" with his appearance than I expected. He looks much rounder to me than in manga.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Sorry, but Kong Gun is an awesome name.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, I just found out this thing exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olUfINDJUTk

Doffy! :swoon:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Holy gently caress that ruled so much, I really like the jingling sound he makes. Pretty amped to see what we're gonna find out about fruits next episode.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The new episode dropped.

So, based on this new info on Devil Fruit Awakening, that means if Akainu knows how to awaken his Magma-Magma fruit (which he most likely does), then...

Luffy will literally have to play a game of "the floor is lava" in beating him!

:haw::hf::aaaaa:

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Maybe his fruit is already awakened based on Punk Hazard, eh?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm guessing crocodile's power is already awakened since he can turn everything into sand.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm guessing crocodile's power is already awakened since he can turn everything into sand.

Yeah, I'm guessing this too. It'd probably also explained how he was a threat in the New World when going up against Whitebeard earlier.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did Doflamingo all Awakenings would be the same as his?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sub Harrison posted:

This was the first thing I thought of too.
He does say though that he is turning things into sand by means of sucking out all its moisture though. It seems to be more a basic feature of the fruit / a quality of sand in general rather than an Awakening. At least in my opinion.

Additionally, it might be the case that the three classes or even just all fruits have different Awakenings. Is Gear Fourth supposed to be Luffy's? Or does he later get the power to turn other things into rubber?

Also, I was thinking today that Zoan have three forms: base, hybrid, and full transformation. Except Chopper. His full transformation is still some kind of hybrid. He's like 90% human in his full transformation form. But every other Zoan person goes 100% when they change into their animal form. I'd like to see what terrifying form actual full-human Chopper would look like.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shadow0 posted:

This was the first thing I thought of too.
He does say though that he is turning things into sand by means of sucking out all its moisture though. It seems to be more a basic feature of the fruit / a quality of sand in general rather than an Awakening. At least in my opinion.

Additionally, it might be the case that the three classes or even just all fruits have different Awakenings. Is Gear Fourth supposed to be Luffy's? Or does he later get the power to turn other things into rubber?

Also, I was thinking today that Zoan have three forms: base, hybrid, and full transformation. Except Chopper. His full transformation is still some kind of hybrid. He's like 90% human in his full transformation form. But every other Zoan person goes 100% when they change into their animal form. I'd like to see what terrifying form actual full-human Chopper would look like.

We just think humans who turn into animals look 100% like the animal. To a sheep, the dude who ate the sheep sheep fruit looks just as non sheepy as Chopper does to us. This is the actual explanation.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

We just think humans who turn into animals look 100% like the animal. To a sheep, the dude who ate the sheep sheep fruit looks just as non sheepy as Chopper does to us. This is the actual explanation.

There's also the fanwank theory that Chopper ate the Model: Yeti version of the fruit.

TBH 'Awakenings' probably vary a lot based on the fruit in question. Doffy's lets him turn objects around him into thread, the Impel Down jailors Awakened Zoan fruits permanently turned them into more powerful hybrids.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zark the Damned posted:

There's also the fanwank theory that Chopper ate the Model: Yeti version of the fruit.

He ate some different model of the human-human fruit since Sengoku ate the model Buddha one

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Allarion posted:

He ate some different model of the human-human fruit since Sengoku ate the model Buddha one

In addition to models, you can also have the base type fruit. Dalton has a variation of the cow fruit, but that doesn't mean someone else can't just be a cow.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Gyges posted:

In addition to models, you can also have the base type fruit. Dalton has a variation of the cow fruit, but that doesn't mean someone else can't just be a cow.

Dalton has the Bison fruit, Minotaurus has some sort of Cow fruit. Possibly Model: Holstein or something.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I had considered this, but he maintains his fur and everything. Imagining the Zoaners in animal form with human faces or human skin is pretty unsettling, haha. Is that what Oda said at some point?

I think Zoaners could fool other animals, they already kind of get the short end of the stick compared to other fruit types - not being able to even actually become the animal seems to just add insult to injury. But of course, we've seen that Chopper wasn't able to fool humans, hence his backstory.

Though the Zoaners do typically maintain a bit of their appearance when in animal form...

The Model: Yeti idea does resolve a lot of these questions, though, even if it's not canon.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zoans have both the best fruits and the worst. I wouldn't say zoans get the short end of the stick when, among them, are dinosaurs, mythical creatures, and demigod-like figures.

It's just unfortunate most of them are lame stuff like "giraffe" and "dog".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I have it on good authority that giraffe's are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Dalton has the Bison fruit, Minotaurus has some sort of Cow fruit. Possibly Model: Holstein or something.

No, for some silly reason all of the hooved Zoan fruits are referred to as the Cow Cow Fruit: Model [Animal] instead of Horse Horse (which isn't really accurate either but works better), so he's saying Dalton had a subcategory of the Horse Horse fruit.