Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

GhostDog posted:

I was about to say Schumacher never drove DTM, but then I decided to check and apparently he did a handful of races between Formula 3 and Formula 1. That's not him though, his best finish was 14th.

Let's not forget the best driving game on Amiga.

That's not 4D Sports Driving AKA Stunts by Brøderbund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Great Joe posted:

AGH! I'm getting barrel-roll spiral flashbacks now.

Speaking of which (at least obliquely), when looking at videos for that old classic, I came across this neat thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbuZquYZja8

I'm flat out assuming it has appeared before, but hey. It would be even neater if another 10 or 12 years could be tacked on.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 15, 2016

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Great Joe posted:

Which was actually written by DSI.

As was Test Drive 1 and 2.

DSI became EA Canada and co-wrote the first Need For Speed before getting stuck making Fifa games forever.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
While we're on the topic of ancient history, does anyone remember an isometric racing game on the C64 where you could play 2-player on tracks with mud and ice and ridiculous jumps?

Also, Geoff Crammond's Stunt Car Racer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjuVBnvA1EI

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sorry, but this is the best racing game ever. Road and drag racing, loads of cars/parts to buy/sell, engine tuning, multiple tire compounds. Really, this game had it all.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Street_Rod_1989

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I never got into car video games until hard Drivin' hit the arcades.

Then I pumped every quarter I earned for like 5 years into that drat thing. But never the stunt course. I took the speed course because you don't jump a Ferrari, you unleash that V12 in some polygonal city consisting of three buildings!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm relatively young, so my first driving games were IndyCar Racing 2, NFS:SE, Test Drive Offroad, and San Francisco Rush. Oh and a lot of Road Rash of course.

I may actually be able to make it for Goon Corsa. I do have things to do later in the day but I'd probably get kicked early for crashing too much anyways. :v:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gran Turismo 1 was what seriously hooked me. Never looked back.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shine posted:

For Christmas, I got him a PS3, Logitech DFGT, wheel stand, Formula 1 2014 and Grid Autosport, and showed him how to use it all. It blew his mind how far games have come since those old Papyrus titles; he watched the opening cutscene for F1 and was just in awe.

I would poo poo myself if I could give this to my Dad (when he was alive) and him appreciate it. That is really cool. I did get him on .. I think I had the Logitech Momo Force at the time and he did remark 'wow, that's no game! it's real!' :D

GhostDog posted:

Let's not forget the best driving game on Amiga.

As much at it owned for strapping sports cars and getting speeding tickets, the actual driving was better in the Papyrus games (obviously, where NASCAR and now iRacing comes from). Still a complete classic. I've got an Amiga emulator for PC now, all the games as disk files, so like a file for each disk with a .adf extension or something and basically my whole Amiga with a zillion games all fit into 100 meg or something. It's awesome, it emulates the disk noises and puts them over speakers, I played a ton of Cannon Fodder and through the whole season of Speedball 2. Lemmings still rocks.

It Came from the Desert is still spooky and engaging even decades later.

Vando posted:

But Lola made F1 cars in 3 of the 4 seasons from 1990-93, surely they'd be the *most* familiar?

I'd just never heard of them. I was 14 or something, so I probably hadn't heard of much. I just knew Ferrari and Williams.. the big teams and Lola was something weird thing from another land.

GhostDog posted:

Also, Geoff Crammond's Stunt Car Racer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjuVBnvA1EI

Yeeeeah :) Now that got me hooked with my digital joystick at the time. gently caress it was hard.

Tippis posted:

Speaking of which (at least obliquely), when looking at videos for that old classic, I came across this neat thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbuZquYZja8

I'm flat out assuming it has appeared before, but hey. It would be even neater if another 10 or 12 years could be tacked on.

Yeah, watch that then this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osaJKg4uLdc

Not that the F1 games are great sims, but wow look at em graphics :)

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 15, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Making my way through the thread, but thought I'd ask.

Any guides to setting up wheels/pedals on a desk? The wheel/shifter was ok for the most part, but I couldn't get comfortable with the pedals position, and since I drive a motorcycle I'm not sure how much of that is my lack of familiarity with it or the fact that I had placed the pedals too close/far from myself (again, since I don't know cars).
Oh, I have a (borrowed) G25 if that changes anything.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I also found the pedals problematic when I was still using an office desk. I was sitting too high to have my feet on the pedals in a somewhat relaxed position at "idle", instead I had to pull my feet back/up the whole time. You want to sit low with a shallow angle in your knee. You know, like in a race car :)

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah, watch that then this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osaJKg4uLdc

Not that the F1 games are great sims, but wow look at em graphics :)
Didn't notice the graphics, couldn't take my focus off being annoyed by the driving line. He still hosed up braking even with it on. :laugh:

It is pretty remarkable how far things have come in a couple decades though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GhostDog posted:

While we're on the topic of ancient history, does anyone remember an isometric racing game on the C64 where you could play 2-player on tracks with mud and ice and ridiculous jumps?

My brother and I played a game like that on Atari 800, though the name escapes me. You could use different types of vehicles (pickups, motorcycles, etc.) and I think you could drop bombs behind you, and I'd piss off my brother by dropping mine under me at the start of the race and blowing myself up.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GhostDog posted:

Was it this one?

Ivan 'Iron Man' Stewart's Super Off Road

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^^^best game of the era

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

bUm posted:

Didn't notice the graphics, couldn't take my focus off being annoyed by the driving line. He still hosed up braking even with it on. :laugh:

It is pretty remarkable how far things have come in a couple decades though.

Yeah, this video demonstrates everything that is rubbish about the Codemasters F1 games and why I don't own them or play them (I own a couple of older ones like 2011 and 2012) despite being a huge F1 fan.

Crap AI, he blows them away at the start with some ridiculous advantage then passes like 20 cars into corner one. Sure it's probably on easy or something, but still, ugh how boring. The handling looks console-like, you can see how the wheel is turning and it looks like a controller (lack of finesse and fine movements, like it's all being transmitted through molasses). Turn off the damage in an F1 game (seriously? failures and contact between exceptionally fragile cars are half of the sport and you turn all that off?! so it's V8 supercars with F1 cars.. man) and even with the damage on it's bumper cars and just hitting the next guy is preferable to coming off the throttle.

Literally the Microprose games had more depth in the actual racing. Just like so many modern movies, all the CG glitz and glamour and none of the substance.

Helicon One posted:

Was it this one?

Ivan 'Iron Man' Stewart's Super Off Road

Stop it with all these games, you're triggering me. I have good modern games to play, I don't need to fire up that emulator again.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Tony Montana posted:

trigger me. I need to fire up that emulator again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDQ7XfONoYc

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I still keep a Model 2 emulator installed purely for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2JdHTBz3P4

Jehde fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 16, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have my Model 2 emulator installed for the exact same reason, with an occasional side of Daytonaaaaa.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

njsykora posted:

I have my Model 2 emulator installed for the exact same reason, with an occasional side of Daytonaaaaa.

G, A, M, E, O, Voo, E, R
G-A-M-E-O-Voo-E-R
GAMEover
GAMEover
GAMEover
GAMEover

E: Yessssss https://youtu.be/zW3O51c3kdE

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Pff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJpGWciA5i4

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
New thread postponed to next weekend, I just didn't get around to it this week.

Reminder: Assetto Corsa today, 20:00 GMT:
- Zandvoort, DTM, Dream Pack 1 required
- 20 min training, 10 min qualifying, 30 min race
- track starts green, grip level carries over between sessions
- seems like I can only allow ABS and TC if the car has it (the settings are FORCED, DENIED, FACTORY)
- 50% damage

What's the opinion on tire wear and selection? Force the same tire on everyone?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Reminder: Assetto Corsa today, 20:00 GMT:
- Zandvoort, DTM, Dream Pack 1 required

This is 3:pm eastern, yea?

What's a decent lap time for this car/track?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AnimalChin posted:

This is 3:pm eastern, yea?

What's a decent lap time for this car/track?

From what I've seen around 2 minutes is solid, but then I've only managed 2:02 because I'm not good at Zandvoort.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Does anyone plan on streaming the session?

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
What's the details for getting connected tonight?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Tippis posted:

Does anyone plan on streaming the session?

I do

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

But first

Bloody Typical posted:

What's the details for getting connected tonight?

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
server name: gooncar
password: dtm4life

make sure you can see locked servers in the browser

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That was fun, but you guys didn't let us slowpokes finish. :v:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, I need to figure out how to keep the server running for longer after the first checkered flag, but there doesn't seem to be a setting. Maybe it just crashed?

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Pretty cool, qualified 5th and finished 5th, then disconnected.

Is there any in game chat to swear and and then apologise to everyone?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
We have a mumble, don't ask me how connecting to it works though

e: really good race though; qualified fourth, got up to second with my demon clutch-less start; before messing up and ending up fourth. Probably could have raced GhostDog more at the end but I hosed up with the pit stop and ended up having to pit with 1 to go to get a litre of fuel

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Let me know if there's interest in another AC session on sunday or if everybody's going to be tired of sim racing after the iRacing Daytona 24.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Let me know if there's interest in another AC session on sunday or if everybody's going to be tired of sim racing after the iRacing Daytona 24.

I'll be down for some regular racing, I miss the good ol days of Goon racing in Forza 4.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

GhostDog posted:

There will be another AC session on sunday.

Fixed

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I just want to drive cars casually on my PC when I feel bored, maybe using my keyboard, or maybe using an Xbox 360 controller. Should I get Project Cars? I see a ton of people on Steam raging about what a buggy mess it is and that has put me off of buying it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The driving part is really good in Pcars. I don't use a controller but I've heard the default config is pretty bad and you'll end up searching around online for a controller setup that works well.

Everything else about the game is kind of a headache. A lot of stock tunes are complete poo poo. Tuning, using a tune, or selecting tire compound is kind of cryptic.. it's all there but just doesn't feel fleshed out into a coherent system.

But again once you're driving you forget about all that and it's a heap of fun.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

titaniumone posted:

I just want to drive cars casually on my PC when I feel bored, maybe using my keyboard, or maybe using an Xbox 360 controller. Should I get Project Cars? I see a ton of people on Steam raging about what a buggy mess it is and that has put me off of buying it.

People, especially those in the sim community, tend to be extremely histrionic.

Pcars is very cool and fun on a game pad. I can pass my setting to you, plus tuning tips. You'll have a good time with it.

bloops fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 18, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

titaniumone posted:

If you're going to use a controller you've basically got 2 options. Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed (it's simmy, it's not a typical need for speed game) or Project Cars. Project cars takes a LONG time to get the controls dialed in to be usable but once you do it's pretty good. All the other PC sims are designed with wheels in mind and any other control schemes are tacked on as an afterthought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GutBomb posted:

If you're going to use a controller you've basically got 2 options. Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed (it's simmy, it's not a typical need for speed game) or Project Cars. Project cars takes a LONG time to get the controls dialed in to be usable but once you do it's pretty good. All the other PC sims are designed with wheels in mind and any other control schemes are tacked on as an afterthought.

I do quite well in LFS and Dirt Rally with a pad. iRacing seemed impossible, but if you're spending that much on a game you may as well splurge for a wheel.

• Locked thread