Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man I have no motivation to even finish ff4 event. Too many events. blarhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I have no motivation to even finish ff4 event. Too many events. blarhg

Yeah at this point I just grab the mc2s so I don't fall behind but I just can't muster the energy to do the ultimates.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah at this point I just grab the mc2s so I don't fall behind but I just can't muster the energy to do the ultimates.

I didn't even grab the MC2. I know it's a good one but I just feel burned out

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
For those that need it, I put my RW to HH - code wciA

I'll leave it up for the duration of the event.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
What are you people even doing fighting the Ultimate on a Sunday. Go eat the eggs! Bart will be slightly easier with more levels on Lightning and Fang

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

SuperHappy posted:

What are you people even doing fighting the Ultimate on a Sunday. Go eat the eggs! Bart will be slightly easier with more levels on Lightning and Fang

The game has been so plentiful with eggs lately that I have zero desire to touch Sundaily. Just egg any required characters to 60 and wait for the next Orbfest in two months to level important characters up.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Zurai posted:

RW: Heroic Harmony

Fang (Lightning Jump r3, Power Break r3)
Lulu (Ruinga r3, Drainga r3)
Sazh (Magic Breakdown r3, Full Break r2)
Eiko (Shellga r2 which was almost completely useless so slot in whatever here, Curaja r4, Emerald Light SB)
Lightning (Blizzara Strike r3, Drain Strike r3)

Lightning, Fang, and Lulu took care of the adds and Eiko's Shellga got its only real use during that phase. Once the adds died, I hit him with HH, Magic Breakdown, and Power Break right away and just DPSd normally while keeping the debuffs up. You can substitute whichever AOE healer you have for Eiko, the haste from Emerald Light never lasted more than about half a round. Also the Shellga was pretty worthless, it helped a bit in phase 1 but got dispelled almost instantly every time in phase 2. Diaga or a summon or whatever would probably be a better use of the ability slot.

The left add is vulnerable to water and ice and the right add is vulnerable to fire and lightning, thus the jump and spellblade.

Mind sharing your gear and RMs?

I'd swap in Vanille for Eiko and use her Oerba's Boon for AoE heal. Curious why Lulu was your choice for Mage, due to an SB or just the MAG stat? I have the Blazefire, Vegas, Celebration Gun, and Wyrmfang, along with 2 3*++ and 1 3*+ bracers plus the Witch's Hat for RS (along with the usual accessories), so I'm not sure if that is close to what you have.

Also did you manage to avoid Thanatosian Smile entirely? Or was Full Break & Power Break & back row characters (unless Smile is long-range) sufficient to knock that AoE physical down to <1500?

Beasteh posted:

Ultimate Bart mastered after an ungodly amount of S/L, jesus gently caress that fight.

Greg @ Dragoon's Determination | Kaiser Knuckles (XIII)++ / Tungsten Bangle / Durable Power Wristband | Lightning Jump / Retaliate
Fang @ Sky Pirate's Pride | Keepsake Knife / Gold Bangle / Durable Power Wristband | Ice Jump / Double Cut
Lightning @ Zeal | Vega 42s / Tungsten Bangle / Durable Power Wristband | Watera Strike / Tempo Flurry
Aerith @ Dr Mog's Teachings | Hunter's Rod / Gold Bangle / Giant's Ring (VIII) | Curaja / Shellga (SB: Planet Protector)
Vanille @ Mako Might | Wyrmfang / Witch's Hat / Emerald Ring | Curaga / Kirin (SB: Oerba's Boon)

RW: Wall

The moment the fight starts. use Shellga and Kirin, then start jumping and killing the Ailettes. Focus them down fast before they stack too many buffs, you'll need to use Wall just before the last one dies since it will be spamming 1600+ AoE by then.

Once Bart comes out, PP, make sure wall/protectga/shellga is up at all times and retaliate him into the dirt. I spent more time healing than anything else for the first time in FFRK. Stupid amounts of damage flying around.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

KnoxZone posted:

The game has been so plentiful with eggs lately that I have zero desire to touch Sundaily. Just egg any required characters to 60 and wait for the next Orbfest in two months to level important characters up.

We have been getting tons of eggs but at the same time I want to have all the upcoming MC2 characters (unless they're Galuf-esque) in their 60s so I'll gladly take the 3M~* XP I can get every Sunday from running. That's equivalent to 25+ Majors a month! :getin:

(* - Usually crash Saturday night a bit after 3AM so I run 140 stamina as I prep for bed, then just another 460 or so from 10AM-2AM during the Sunday itself, 30 runs of the XP+ if it all works out)

I'd much rather XP every Sunday and do dungeons on weaker orb days then vice-versa.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I hope whomever designed the Brynhildr boss run fight gets punched in the dick repeatedly.

e: Took probably a dozen S/L with most being due to the boss taking 2 actions before anyone could use an ability. When it finally died 2 people were low on HP, which meant another 5-10 S/L on Bahamut because he'd either AOE or single target one (or both) of the low HP characters. I lost a grand total of 2 medals on the boss rush and both were for damage taken in the loving Brynhildr fight. Even Yuna's AOE heal after mitigation was up resulted in said limp-over-the-finish.

If Brynhildr was the Ultimate fight I'd probably skip it entirely because it'd be nearly impossible to get defenses setup, let alone heal the damage taken in that time, if it was a 140 difficulty boss.

Warmech was a complete and total joke. Zero medals lost. First two actions from it were single target attacks and it even missed once or twice in the fight.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 17, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Lol ya Bryn caught me off guard, thought I'd have to pay the mythril ot burn 60 stamina until I avoid AoE the first two turns and got just enough stuff setup.

Gotta remember to slow down at the ens of the second boss to heal up.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

kalensc posted:

Mind sharing your gear and RMs?

I'd swap in Vanille for Eiko and use her Oerba's Boon for AoE heal. Curious why Lulu was your choice for Mage, due to an SB or just the MAG stat? I have the Blazefire, Vegas, Celebration Gun, and Wyrmfang, along with 2 3*++ and 1 3*+ bracers plus the Witch's Hat for RS (along with the usual accessories), so I'm not sure if that is close to what you have.

Also did you manage to avoid Thanatosian Smile entirely? Or was Full Break & Power Break & back row characters (unless Smile is long-range) sufficient to knock that AoE physical down to <1500?

RMs were just standard stuff. Mako Might and Dr. Mog's Teachings on Eiko and Sazh (the second was pointless), Devotion on Lulu, Dragoon's Determination on Lightning. I actually forgot to give Fang an RM at all.

I used Lulu because I have the Hairpin (which is a fully stacking +50% Resistance buff), but of course Focus gets dispelled by Bart's Dispel too so anyone works there.

Thanatosian Smile was only hitting for like 800 through Harmony + Full Break + Power Break.

As for my gear, I went in quite hard on the original Lightning/Sazh banner so my 13 gear is very good. I'm going to do the fight again tonight on-stream with just free and non-synergy gear though just to see how much easier my gear made it. I'm sure it'll be harder, but still pretty easily doable. The combination cuts his damage output a huge amount. With your gear you should be absolutely fine.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh dear. Despite everyone having between 240-300 resistance, having ss2 and shellga up, ultimate rubicant was still doing an insane amount of damage each aoe.

I might have to switch to an advance setup, as I might need more healing over black magic. I don't know if my water/blizzard hones are enough to take him out anyway. I have 6 uses of blizzaga, waterga, waterja and 4 uses of blizzaja.

To be honest I think my main problem is the fact that all my characters (except cloud) are only level 50ish. I've been pumping all my growth eggs into each character to get them to 50 just for synergy/rm usage. It is way better than having a set few at level 50+ and then everyone else at level 30ish I can tell you that much. Plus now that only 1 character is getting released per event I'll be able to catch up! I don't think I can do ultimate content yet though.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

kalensc posted:

We have been getting tons of eggs but at the same time I want to have all the upcoming MC2 characters (unless they're Galuf-esque) in their 60s so I'll gladly take the 3M~* XP I can get every Sunday from running. That's equivalent to 25+ Majors a month! :getin:

(* - Usually crash Saturday night a bit after 3AM so I run 140 stamina as I prep for bed, then just another 460 or so from 10AM-2AM during the Sunday itself, 30 runs of the XP+ if it all works out)

I'd much rather XP every Sunday and do dungeons on weaker orb days then vice-versa.

100% agreed, y'all are crazy for using the holiest of days for anything other than Exp. Yeah they've given us a lot of growth eggs, but literally every week now we're getting a new character that can go to level 80, and how you gonna get them to 80 if you skip Sunday? I didn't have the stamina to do the +++ and Ultimate before Sunday, but they're not going away for another week so why not wait on the bonus battles until Monday?

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
For all the hate Brynhildr is getting this event, most of us have an ace up our sleeves that we didn't when he was the ++ fight: Greg. Retaliate + Draw Fire = No, gently caress You, Bryn! Mind, you still gotta survive a turn or two for set-up. But goddamn, did it feel nice making him eat 5-6 counters every time he attacked.

Also, I bloody hate having to work Sunday mornings, I miss out on 12 hours of Sunday Exp Fun Times. (And boy, is Fang gonna need some love this turn.)

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Set up is the main reason Brynhildr is retarded this time around.

I do not remember it(?) going that fast at ++. Literally got a doom, triple slash thing, and all attack off before anyone even got 1 stinking action off on one of my S/L's

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Shock Trooper posted:

100% agreed, y'all are crazy for using the holiest of days for anything other than Exp. Yeah they've given us a lot of growth eggs, but literally every week now we're getting a new character that can go to level 80, and how you gonna get them to 80 if you skip Sunday? I didn't have the stamina to do the +++ and Ultimate before Sunday, but they're not going away for another week so why not wait on the bonus battles until Monday?

I haven't really bothered with getting anyone to 80 yet. The XP cost is super high for marginal gains. I have like 5 characters in the low 70s right now and I might give them some time in the next Orbfest, but 60-65 is a good range for most characters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
+++ fight down without a hitch as he never used his awful aoe+dispel attack. Even got a major fire orb as a drop. :toot:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I beat a boss rush and bonus fight for the first time!:toot:

It helped that I had a fair amount of XIII synergy thanks to the holiday events and drawing the Vega and Wyrmfang.

I think I got lucky with Brynhildr and beat it on the first try.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
So, is Lightning's RM2 worth using? I know it's "Attack has no cast time" but...is it worth using your RM slot on?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm not super versed on the hard numbers but I think the general idea on that RM is it's useful for clearing low difficulty trash stuff you don't care about but is largely outclassed by damage up RMs for high level content.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Kemix posted:

So, is Lightning's RM2 worth using? I know it's "Attack has no cast time" but...is it worth using your RM slot on?

I think it's mostly for auto-attacking setups

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Kemix posted:

I can see it being good for:
- speeding up autobattle farming
- increasing Retaliate meta damage output
- Sandworm.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

In Autobattle use, The attacker with Thuderstroke seems to be a little faster than the attackers with Haste relics. I imagine combining it with Haste via Boon/LH will be pretty nice, particularly on the Supports. Also, yeah, there's the Sandworm, as well as Elite Rubicante with the random cape, bosses with "Barrier Change" gimmicks...

Shock Trooper posted:

Yeah I've been playing since (almost) the start and overall finding the EXP balance pretty well done, as everyone's Max levels are always barely ahead of me. I was almost caught up after all the EXP from Orbfest 1, but then they went and released those first 5 MC2s within a week.

It's not felt much level-by-level. but 65 characters are pretty durable compared to 50... mainly 'cause of the extra HP.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kemix posted:

It's a strong alternative to Double Hit for all the circumstances in which you'd use that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SuperHappy posted:

In Autobattle use, The attacker with Thuderstroke seems to be a little faster than the attackers with Haste relics. I imagine combining it with Haste via Boon/LH will be pretty nice, particularly on the Supports. Also, yeah, there's the Sandworm, as well as Elite Rubicante with the random cape, bosses with "Barrier Change" gimmicks...

The problem is, Thunderstroke only works on the normal Attack command, doesn't it? So it's not going to do much when you'd otherwise be trying to hit a weakness as in the latter two cases, unless you happened to have it on someone with an Enelement buff.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

The problem is, Thunderstroke only works on the normal Attack command, doesn't it? So it's not going to do much when you'd otherwise be trying to hit a weakness as in the latter two cases, unless you happened to have it on someone with an Enelement buff.

Correct.

The net DPS gain is roughly similar to Double Hit, and it's useful in similar circumstances. There are some slight mechanical differences in how you get there, but the net result is comparable.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Wait, Lightning's RM2 is just insta-attack? God drat. I need to give Fang some cholesterol then. Or is Fang not worth taking along?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In a Retaliate strategy, Double Hit gives better damage per action, while Thunderstroke offers more 'safety' in that it gets you turns faster.

I wouldn't bother levelling Lightning just for the RM if someone didn't want to use her, but it's a nice bonus.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

Ohhh... so it's just Quick Hit, then. Guess I shoulda figured. Dena seems to hold the ability to skip that li'l wait period in high regard what with it being a 5* ability, and now an RM2. Still better than most of the materias anyway.

quote:

Or is Fang not worth taking along?

She was one of the better dragoons in the series proper, and it's pretty much the same case here, due to her ability to use Combat and Celerity along with the Dragoon abilities, rather than something irreverent like Black Magic. Her noticeable superiority in attack power in FF13 isn't really seen here though, and her RES is atrocious.

That bein' said, she's required in the Ultimate fight.

SuperHappy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 18, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ApplesandOranges posted:

In a Retaliate strategy, Double Hit gives better damage per action, while Thunderstroke offers more 'safety' in that it gets you turns faster.

Better damage per action, but roughly equal damage per time, and a bit more flexibility to weave hits in with other actions for a healer or support who has other responsibilities.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
worst part about the fight against Bart

Your forced to bring 2 characters.
whats worse is Bart hits loving hard with just Shellga up.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 18, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

SuperHappy posted:

Ohhh... so it's just Quick Hit, then. Guess I shoulda figured. Dena seems to hold the ability to skip that li'l wait period in high regard what with it being a 5* ability, and now an RM2. Still better than most of the materias anyway.

She was one of the better dragoons in the series proper, and it's pretty much the same case here, due to her ability to use Combat and Celerity along with the Dragoon abilities, rather than something irreverent like Black Magic. Her noticeable superiority in attack power in FF13 isn't really seen here though, and her RES is atrocious.

That bein' said, she's required in the Ultimate fight.

Well, I'm just looking at the Boss Rush since I deliberately avoided it. Looks MOSTLY physical, but it will require me to bring a Wall RW as well as Sazh with breakdowns. Not sure which breakdown to hone first since I don't have enough GPOs for Power/Magic.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

drat you Bruno Hildz, you swing fast and lay on the pain. At least I finally beat the doomrush. The robot can be lit nuked easier, I hope.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SuperHappy posted:

Her noticeable superiority in attack power in FF13 isn't really seen here though, and her RES is atrocious.

She's still the best in the realm Atk-wise, and even surpasses Cloud at equivalent levels if you don't have his SSB. The thing that Lightning and Cloud have over Fang is that Fang can't use helms, and helms are amazing for physical attackers.

But yeah, if a spell so much as brushes past her she's toast.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Shoenin posted:

worst part about the fight against Bart

Your forced to bring 2 characters.
whats worse is Bart hits loving hard with just Shellga up.

So... don't just use Shellga for mitigation? Bart is much, much easier if you just use a traditional party and bring Heroic Harmony instead of Sentinel's Grimoire for a RW than he is if you try to Advantaliate him.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zurai posted:

So... don't just use Shellga for mitigation? Bart is much, much easier if you just use a traditional party and bring Heroic Harmony instead of Sentinel's Grimoire for a RW than he is if you try to Advantaliate him.

Shellga is still real great for P1 if you can fit it in.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it's good for P1, I just meant "don't rely on only Shellga to mitigate the damage of a boss who has a 1350% damage spell with 460 Magic".

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
He doesnt hit overall hard with Shell and SG up. Problem is he's absrudly fast and if your not hasted, unarmored bart gets 2 attacks in which adds up. Armored buff still hits noticeably even with Shell/SG.
But I have a dumb and overzealous tendancy to always bring Rydia because <_<

Bart wouldve gone down easily If I just brought 2 healers, but youre forced to bring in Fang AND Lightning. I cant remember anytime after Sinspawn Gui 1st they did that again and I hoped that fight taught them it was retarded to do so.

Least Fang/Light can actually do things here.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
ok yeah i'm late to the party but why the gently caress does the red dude in the boss rush hit like a dumptruck on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Dunno

but yeah, Red guy Brynsomething hit harder and way faster than anything pre ultimate bart for some reason.

• Locked thread