Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Megazver posted:

Didn't seem to do all that great, alas:

http://steamspy.com/app/402020

That's a shame, I hope they at least broke even on the development costs. Looking back, their marketing for it was silly. 12 bucks for a 1-2 hour experience is a bit high, I wonder if most of their sales were from TSW players who wanted the bundled goodies.

I would pay tons of money if they released something similar to The Park that followed Klein around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is the game fun to play though, or is it the same sort of idle-clicker dynamic you find in most MMOs? Can I solo this while watching netflix and have a good time?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The story is good enough you'll probably pause the Netfix

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I certainly don't see it going anywhere. Aside from the issues that they release every few months to add varying degrees of content, they have a cash shop that sells everything from RNG bags to mounts to emotes. And the people who play a lot of TSW eat that poo poo up.

I don't remember what it was like at launch, but I don't see combat having changed all that much. Active abilities are all builders, consumers, and miscellaneous abilities (buffs, 30s cooldown dots/CCbreaks/etc). Passive abilities are all about buffing your damage, adding effects on hits, etc. I feel like it's a little clunky in comparison to something like WoW, but it's certainly not abysmal like STO's ground combat. PVP is god-awful so steer clear if that's what you want to do.

You could just play it as a single-player game for the story and have a great time, though. I never give a poo poo about story in MMOs (meet the new dragon, same as the old dragon), but I really enjoy TSW's story. You'll probably pause netflix during cutscenes. When I started playing a couple years ago, I remember a lot of the single-player content being difficult due to a lot of trash mobs. Most of my problems were due to using a single-target DPS build versus multiple targets. I swapped to a PBAOE survival build and it became a lot easier and more enjoyable.

One thing I really enjoy about TSW a lot is the endgame "progression". You get most of a set of really nice gear just by doing the main quests and DLC, and can hop into the hardest mode of any endgame dungeon (aside from the two newest dungeons) and do fine. And most of the dungeons only take about 20 minutes even with pubbies. Hardly any dungeon trash, just run up to your loot pinatas and start wailing. Gear is bought and upgraded using two types of currency. The main one is Black Bullion which doesn't have weekly caps, can be farmed, and gets you great gear such that most of the end-game content can be trivialized. Harder dungeons utilize the new AEGIS damage-type and shield-type mechanic, which seems to be hit-or-miss with the fanbase.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
TSW itself doesn't appear to be in any immediate trouble, it's cash flow positive and does reasonably well when it goes on sale.

Funcom has been teetering on the brink ever since TSWs release. Things have stabilized after reaching that agreement with bondholders, but they don't have anything to show yet aside from The Park and a potential Conan game.

If Funcom goes out of business, things won't look good for TSW. It's possible that it could survive by being sold to another company, but I'm not sure who would want to take that on.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Nerd Of Prey posted:

There has never been a game I wanted to play and hated playing, simultaneously, to such extreme degrees. I loved this game, and I hated this game.

Have there been any MAJOR changes to the basic gameplay since this launched? I don't give a crap about expansion content or new stuff to do. I never finished the old stuff, because I hated the combat and skill system so much, and I was tired of tripping over monsters every two feet while I was trying to solve a cool mystery. (One ghost is spooky, but a dozen ghosts is loving tedious.) I'm guessing the combat and skill system still suck, and there are still monsters every two feet, but I'd love to find out otherwise, because the story was GREAT and sometimes I miss it.

I'm with you on the mob density issue. I always thought this game would be better if they cut the number of mobs in half (or more) and adjust the amount of hp/exp to compensate. Funcom took the other approach, within the last year they made all the mobs easier to kill but didn't reduce the numbers of them. However, they did make it easier to travel with faster run speeds and the ability to pay to travel to different anima wells. At least you don't have to have a raging wall of mobs hot on your heels everywhere you go.

I usually pick up the game around the holidays every year, toss Funcom some money and play a few months to catch up. But this years Halloween event and The Park both seemed rushed, and then Fallout happened so I dropped it pretty early. I'll probably pick it up again when I get the itch or they do something interesting.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Alright, so the story's not bad, but is it click-kill-repeat sort of combat system or do you actually feel like a badass when you're wasting fools?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
Will I be missing anything important if I just beeline through the Egypt main story missions? Last time I played this game I stalled out in the second Egypt zone trying to finish every single quest. Egypt just felt too much like a generic fantasy MMORPG setting, fighting bugs and golems in a dessert.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Whee! Got the big bundle today, discovered that I still had the game installed... and realized that I haven't played in over a year and stalled out a little short of the City of the Sun God.

I think I may need to make an alt to refamiliarize myself with things. I'm sitting on a big assorted stack of character points though. I've got some sort of blades/dual pistols build, and vaguely recall some kind of elemental crit boost buff I'd build to use on the pistol spender.

Time to go through the last few pages worth of advice, I think. :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Black Griffon posted:

Alright, so the story's not bad, but is it click-kill-repeat sort of combat system or do you actually feel like a badass when you're wasting fools?

In combat you actually have to keep in mind your surroundings. There's no auto attack and lots of enemies have moves you need to dodge using your dodge button. Tanking some of the later dungeons definitely has a badass feel to though.

Rasheeds hammer/shotgun tank build is the bees knees. And Ankh nightmare has some pretty rad tricky spots.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Blade Chaos is the best, spin around until you throw up.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

With 66% off, it seems I'll at least get my money's worth, so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

El Cid posted:

Will I be missing anything important if I just beeline through the Egypt main story missions? Last time I played this game I stalled out in the second Egypt zone trying to finish every single quest. Egypt just felt too much like a generic fantasy MMORPG setting, fighting bugs and golems in a dessert.

No you wont miss much, rush through it. Egypt is.. not good

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just finished Egypt. It could have been a lot better.
It could have been seriously worse too, but it could have been a lot better.
In comparison to Solomon Island, it suffers from the sin of being merely... bland, while Solomon Island is actually surprisingly curious once you dig into it.
Egypt does have a few interesting spots, mostly in the very first area, granted, but after that? Bland.
The second (final) area is just too spread out, and just a little too dull to really play well.
Which is a pity really as the first area of Egypt, while suffering just enough less from this that it's enjoyable in parts, does set up some really interesting plot hooks. Sadly these failed to materialize in any really enjoyable way for the second area of Egypt.

I'm only just starting the Transylvania section of the game, having just completed Virgula Divina (pretty cool mission), so I don't have much to report back on for that area yet.
We'll see how it plays out.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Egypt has Saïd though, which makes everything better. (The DLC missions are cool too)

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

All you're missing from Egypt, really, at the end of the day is a bunch of crazy people are worshiping an old zombie pharaoh and a god, and the god is either the dreamers or a separate dreamer. Then you come back for the Issue 6-ish DLC, which I recommend, and you learn about how Said orchestrated the delivery of the filth bomb and feels really bad about it which has a much stronger tie to Tokyo, the most recent content. Realistically if you want to skip or netflix your way through some story content, its normally really tough to do so given how entwined and subtle the story in TSW generally is. However, the TSW Lore forums have some good Q&A and summary posts like this one that really help tie things together on content you missed or straight up forgot.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Wow I completly forgot about the Last Train to Cairo DLC. Last train to cairo is excellent and amazing. You should play it once you complete Transylvania.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Len posted:

Rasheeds hammer/shotgun tank build is the bees knees. And Ankh nightmare has some pretty rad tricky spots.

I didn't see this in the OP and Google isn't coming up with anything. Mind linking this? Feeling the urge to get back into TSW and I've maxed out hammer and mostly cleared shotgun and would love to test this build.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Archonex posted:

They made combat better than how it was at launch. There was a big revamp and everything. It's actually a lot better than it used to be.

Can anybody explain this in more detail? "They made it better" is maddeningly nonspecific.

TracerM17 posted:

I'm with you on the mob density issue. I always thought this game would be better if they cut the number of mobs in half (or more) and adjust the amount of hp/exp to compensate. Funcom took the other approach, within the last year they made all the mobs easier to kill but didn't reduce the numbers of them.

Easier to kill sounds like a small step in the right direction at least. Again, more on what this means would be cool. How much easier? Did they just reduce their hp or were there changes to the mechanics?

The mob density issue is such a serious problem though. It's not just annoying in terms of gameplay, it completely undercuts the entire premise of the game if there are more monsters than people everywhere you go. I always heard the dungeons have next to no trash mobs, and everybody seems to agree that it was a good choice. Did the dungeon designer like never get to talk to anybody else on the development team and, you know, put that idea out there? "How about, generally speaking, we don't waste the players' time with poo poo that's not interesting?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Otacon posted:

I didn't see this in the OP and Google isn't coming up with anything. Mind linking this? Feeling the urge to get back into TSW and I've maxed out hammer and mostly cleared shotgun and would love to test this build.

I don't remember it off the top of my head. It was for Hell Raised though back in the days when we ran with shitloads of cleanups. Rasheed got tired of lovely people not cleaning us up and started to bring his own.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Can anybody explain this in more detail? "They made it better" is maddeningly nonspecific.

It was nonspecific for a reason. There are things man was not meant to know! :unsmigghh:

To be serious, mobs die much quicker, combat's a bit more reactive in that AOE and other sorts of skills have (Or had.) damage priority in terms of what to focus on in many fights, and generally it was less of a slog to go through the more mob heavy areas since you could blow through many of them like a buzzing god of war if you were sufficiently competent at the game. All in all it was a good thing.

Granted, that was awhile ago. So the mechanics might have changed again for some weapons. And once you hit Tokyo you should prepare to get anally violated by the Filth. Because the mobs there are "end game" in the sense of how the game used to be.

Plus they have this horrible shield mechanic that requires you to basically gear along a whole new track. A track that requires you to either grind out missions without the gear (Painful as hell.) or buy items from people off the auction house to fast track yourself to being on par with the game again.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 16, 2016

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

I don't remember it off the top of my head. It was for Hell Raised though back in the days when we ran with shitloads of cleanups. Rasheed got tired of lovely people not cleaning us up and started to bring his own.

I intentionally wouldn't do cleanups. I liked company in the Anima Wells. :wave:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You fuckers will learn how to do Machine Tyrant if it takes us all night.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Archonex posted:

Plus they have this horrible shield mechanic that requires you to basically gear along a whole new track. A track that requires you to either grind out missions without the gear (Painful as hell.) or buy items from people off the auction house to fast track yourself to being on par with the game again.

Completing two quests 10 minutes into Tokyo grants a full set of AEGIS. Your observation is terribly outdated.

I recall the first quest is encountered by following the bouncing ball and the second a side quest found on a tank in a central location.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Toshimo posted:

You fuckers will learn how to do Machine Tyrant if it takes us all the nights.

Fixed that for ya buddy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Iron_Chef posted:

Completing two quests 10 minutes into Tokyo grants a full set of AEGIS. Your observation is terribly outdated.

I recall the first quest is encountered by following the bouncing ball and the second a side quest found on a tank in a central location.

Unless something has changed a full set doesn't change the fact that the initial grind to get to where trash mobs feel like trash is obnoxious. There's even been a few people in this thread asking about how to deal with the trash when they're new to the Tokyo zone. That's what I was referring too.

It's much better than it was at release of Tokyo, at least. The amount of wailing from people having their end game builds absolutely crushed by a bunch of robots, japanese demons, and zombies was hilarious to behold. Now you can just buy the requisite stuff off the auction house to bypass the most obnoxious bits.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 17, 2016

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I thought it's not a full set even with both quests and you have to redo one of them to get all three aegis types on each hand, which is dumb

I could be remembering wrong though it has been so long

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
So I'm not very bright and recently picked up the Ultimate Edition on Steam to get a bunch of issues because I felt like playing this again.

How the gently caress do I actually find the stuff that was added? There doesn't seem to be any sort of breadcrumbs that lead to them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Did you check your mail and your claimable items in the store? You get a bunch of maps that have the new questlines circled on them

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm kind of surprised this game is still alive. Is there any hope that they'll get back to a decent development pace, or is Funcom too crippled still? It still feels like the game could have been so much more.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
They keep pushing out a couple of Issues a year which isn't very frequent, granted but they also tend to be pretty good so no complaints here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They've actually gotten better at updates since Joel left as head dev

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm using an nvidia 960 with everything turned up to max, and while things generally run very smoothly I get occasional, severe performance drops. I think it's a draw distance issue, but one of the places it consistently strikes is the tunnel out of Kingsmouth up by the Morninglight camp. Anyone have suggestions as to what I should turn off in order to deal with this?

Unrelated, I think my build and gear needs an overhaul. The Scorching Desert missions that I'm on seem to be Easy to Very Easy, and while the blades/pistol combo I'm using does well against groups, it feels kind of anemic facing single targets. I'm trundling around with about 4000 HP, which seems adequate unless I'm jumped by more than a couple of non-swarm mobs, but I can't remember what kind of stats I should be buying and enchanting for. I've got a fair ton of AP, SP and cash socked away, so I'm fine starting over with a new set of weapons and gear.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Bieeardo posted:

I'm using an nvidia 960 with everything turned up to max, and while things generally run very smoothly I get occasional, severe performance drops. I think it's a draw distance issue, but one of the places it consistently strikes is the tunnel out of Kingsmouth up by the Morninglight camp. Anyone have suggestions as to what I should turn off in order to deal with this?

It could be a draw distance issue or it could be a DX11 issue. Stuff like tessellation can kill your framerate quickly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I know at launch using dx11 was a bad idea. I bet that never got fixed. Hell Im not even sure Wimdows 8 ever got officially supported.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll fiddle with those bits to start with.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Archonex posted:

Unless something has changed a full set doesn't change the fact that the initial grind to get to where trash mobs feel like trash is obnoxious. There's even been a few people in this thread asking about how to deal with the trash when they're new to the Tokyo zone. That's what I was referring too.

It's much better than it was at release of Tokyo, at least. The amount of wailing from people having their end game builds absolutely crushed by a bunch of robots, japanese demons, and zombies was hilarious to behold. Now you can just buy the requisite stuff off the auction house to bypass the most obnoxious bits.

I can't argue with that as I've only been in Tokyo for a while and the mobs do indeed hit like Mack trucks and can take a while.

Kenlon posted:

So I'm not very bright and recently picked up the Ultimate Edition on Steam to get a bunch of issues because I felt like playing this again.

How the gently caress do I actually find the stuff that was added? There doesn't seem to be any sort of breadcrumbs that lead to them.

You need to claim them as has been mentioned.

If you've already acquired the issues a problem I have run into is issue quests still being flagged as unavailable but a /reloadui fixes that.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Whats going on in here?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Good god, I forgot just how wretched jumping in this game can be. I'm trying to get the lore stub at the top of the casino, and I've either come up short or slid off the roof without actually jumping, a dozen times now.

Edit: Fourteenth try, got it.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

One more thing to mention that ties into the whole mob density issue: you can now teleport to any anima well. So instead of literally having to run across the zone through all of the mobs, you can bounce around and skip ak'ab nests and poo poo.

• Locked thread