Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

I never attack Phasma regardless of the stars unless I have to since the extra attacks can hit so hard.

For me the decision goes player level > power rating > captain.

After a while though you have a pretty good idea of who has what and it simply becomes an issue of avoiding the teams you can't outright beat.

For the characters I normally target:

1) Poe
2) FOTP/Leia/Daka/Geno/88/86
3) Sid/Healers (except for Bariss)
4) everyone else
5) Kylo/Barriss

Attacking 11 is a pretty good stat but if you have arena turns to spare, I usually just make the climb down since everybody aims for 11 and 2.

Good point. In my bracket though I think there's only like 3 people in my time zone. I can usually climb and just get counter sniped at 5:50 or so. I just start at 5:10 and finish at 5:55. Going to suck week after next when I'm in Sweden for work. Six days of not being #1 after 8 days straight of 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't know if this was mentioned but apparently you can still 3 star missions if you revive a character.

Also these new Cantina missions don't gently caress around. I think I'm just going to focus on Kylo shards until I get up to 70 then go for the rest.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Jibo posted:

I don't know if this was mentioned but apparently you can still 3 star missions if you revive a character.

Also these new Cantina missions don't gently caress around. I think I'm just going to focus on Kylo shards until I get up to 70 then go for the rest.

What's your team comp + star rating?

I'm saving most of my energy until after the refresh, but I'm probably going to try to Zerg cantina as far as I can afterwords.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jibo posted:

Yep. That's how I 3 starred dark side 6j which was the only source of a needed purple. Also, I 3 starred the new cantina first time out up to the sid one where I ran out of power

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Kegslayer posted:

I never attack Phasma regardless of the stars unless I have to since the extra attacks can hit so hard.

For me the decision goes player level > power rating > captain.

After a while though you have a pretty good idea of who has what and it simply becomes an issue of avoiding the teams you can't outright beat.

For the characters I normally target:

1) Poe
2) FOTP/Leia/Daka/Geno/88/86
3) Sid/Healers (except for Bariss)
4) everyone else
5) Kylo/Barriss

Attacking 11 is a pretty good stat but if you have arena turns to spare, I usually just make the climb down since everybody aims for 11 and 2.

Put Rey right in there with FOTP and Leia, if you let her get a hit and Foresight procs, and don't have an AOE like Sid's to pop it ASAP you're in for world of hurt

Jibo posted:

Eh I thought lvl 5 on Cantina was easy, much moreso than DS 6 Hard. Sid leader/Lumi/JC/Bariss/Luke and Phasma ally blew through all of them without a death. But the Ewoks keep killing me on 6A hard!

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 17, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mooktastical posted:

What's your team comp + star rating?

I'm saving most of my energy until after the refresh, but I'm probably going to try to Zerg cantina as far as I can afterwords.

I don't have anything super crazy. Sid leader with Chewie, Daka, Lumi, and Dooku. All are gear level 7 and level 60. Dooku is 4 star, Daka is 5 star, and everyone else is 6. I just did the first new level and everything was hitting for around 2k with normal attacks. Dooku went down fast but I was able to revive him and 3 star it. I'm sure I could dig a little deeper but I'm not going to force it unless I know I can make it all the way to the Dooku shards.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You know what's loving hilarious about this trash game? Watching a Rey continually gain turn meter while dead. Kill her. Revive. Gain turn meter. Kill her. Revive. Gain turn meter. I get it, Daka revives you. Why the gently caress are you reviving at your old turn meter? You just loving died. Go the gently caress back to the end of the line. These dev's don't play this game. I'm almost positive of it. In-fact I don't think half of this development team has played a video game before in their lives. It's such a cluster gently caress of balance issues. They could not release another hero for 6 months, and they'd still have balance issues they need to work out with their current line up. This is one of the biggest cluster fucks I've ever seen in online gaming.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 17, 2016

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Zotix posted:

You know what's loving hilarious about this trash game? Watching a Rey continually gain turn meter while dead. Kill her. Revive. Gain turn meter. Kill her. Revive. Gain turn meter. I get it, Daka revives you. Why the gently caress are you reviving at your old turn meter? You just loving died. Go the gently caress back to the end of the line. These dev's don't play this game. I'm almost positive of it. In-fact I don't think half of this development team has played a video game before in their lives. It's such a cluster gently caress of balance issues. They could not release another hero for 6 months, and they'd still have balance issues they need to work out with their current line up. This is one of the biggest cluster fucks I've ever seen in online gaming.

It's punishment for not killing Daka first, you should know better!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

oops wrong forum posted:

It's punishment for not killing Daka first, you should know better!

You know what? I've never seen my 6* almost 7* Daka pull that poo poo on offense. EVER. I've had her over a month. I complete everything daily, and she particpates in 95% of all things that I do in game. I've never seen her double revive someone, WITHOUT USING HER HEAL on offense. Hell, I've never seen her double revive someone using her heal on offense.

But hey, the defender doesn't have an advantage. ROFL, yeah loving right.

BTW Daka is a priority, but you can't loving target Daka first when you have a loving 140 speed Poe taunting immediately, and then have a Rey, FOTP, and Geo Soldier. I'm sorry, but even if you were to target Daka first, you are dead right after killing her. Circle back around to Dev's not having a clue how to balance a game.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Zotix posted:

You know what? I've never seen my 6* almost 7* Daka pull that poo poo on offense. EVER. I've had her over a month. I complete everything daily, and she particpates in 95% of all things that I do in game. I've never seen her double revive someone, WITHOUT USING HER HEAL on offense. Hell, I've never seen her double revive someone using her heal on offense.

But hey, the defender doesn't have an advantage. ROFL, yeah loving right.

BTW Daka is a priority, but you can't loving target Daka first when you have a loving 140 speed Poe taunting immediately, and then have a Rey, FOTP, and Geo Soldier. I'm sorry, but even if you were to target Daka first, you are dead right after killing her. Circle back around to Dev's not having a clue how to balance a game.

I'm too lazy to check but I wonder if the big $$$ clans have recorded things like this to show CG how things like this happen.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

They seem to have boosted GW shard rewards greatly. I got 300 where I used to get 100. IIRC it was 300/300/600/600 (not consecutively) over the first 8 battles.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

kaschei posted:

They seem to have boosted GW shard rewards greatly. I got 300 where I used to get 100. IIRC it was 300/300/600/600 (not consecutively) over the first 8 battles.

I didn't see that today, are you sure? That seems like a glitch, because you'd be able to *7 someone right away with that many GW rewards.

Edit: Are you east coast starting a new GW?

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 17, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kaschei posted:

Did you actually get that though? It displays the rewards strangely a lot. I almost always see more than I actually get.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I just cleared a GW and got about 900 total for the whole thing :shrug:

Could have been a fluke.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

oops wrong forum posted:

I didn't see that today, are you sure? That seems like a glitch, because you'd be able to *7 someone right away with that many GW rewards.

Edit: Are you east coast starting a new GW?
Yes on the east coast thing.

Aphrodite posted:

Did you actually get that though? It displays the rewards strangely a lot. I almost always see more than I actually get.
I don't actually know, I was going for Biggs when they removed retreating, kicked myself for not having rushed Lumi after Phasma just for GW (I have her at 4*, getting her to 5* would have paid for itself quickly just by getting one more late shard reward every day). I have another restart today so I'll mind my shards then, I just ran into a sid/dooku/jc/lumi/boba team that either wipes out someone with focus fire or lands me with 1x stun 4x ability block buncha dots. I'll probably have to suicide squad that and restart tomorrow.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It feels so good being only at 12,000 power. I see 14,000 team in arena and I go "Eh, I can burn down their dps before they make a move"

Phasma: Genosian Soldier, FOTP, Darth Sidious, Whoever (Sometimes Chewbacca to tank while my team DPSes, sometimes Healer so I don't lose my FOTP too early, sometimes First Order Stormtrooper because they get bonus chance from Phasma.

It owns. And Sunday challenge modes own too.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
One thing I have not seen mentioned yet that should go to the OP: the order of AI actions in GW is predermined: that is, if you, let's say, lose your JC to Sid crit + Luminara assist in the first round, it will happen again if you retreat. You need to shuffle your squad (or even change leader) to prevent it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I just need a million bucks to upgrade Did to 7*.

What's the next recommended character I should be buying in Arena? I don't have any interest in making a droid squad and the rest like kind of lackluster compared to Sid.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

I just need a million bucks to upgrade Did to 7*.

What's the next recommended character I should be buying in Arena? I don't have any interest in making a droid squad and the rest like kind of lackluster compared to Sid.

Asajj is the second best in there, maybe. She's not super for PVP due to slowness, but she's pretty handy otherwise (and can neuter taunts in PVP too so... not entirely terrible).

I've heard good things about Stormtrooper Han and Ackbar, but haven't really seen them utilized much.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
Are Droids or Nightsisters more consistent as far as F2P teams go?
I was a disgusting whale and bought both of their little starters and the other members are fairly easy to farm. I broke top 100 on my server pretty easy with just the poo poo from the pricier pack.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Asajj is the second best in there, maybe. She's not super for PVP due to slowness, but she's pretty handy otherwise (and can neuter taunts in PVP too so... not entirely terrible).

I've heard good things about Stormtrooper Han and Ackbar, but haven't really seen them utilized much.

Honestly, you should just save Arena points if you've got a 7* Sid.

Asajj sucks. She should be much faster than she is, because she was apparently too fast in the beta, so got nerfed into the ground. She got over-nerfed, just like Barriss. Her buff cleanse flat out doesn't work on a bunch of buffs, and can be resisted, especially by Poe. She's the only character with 5 abilities, though.

Droid teams are underplayed, and imo for good reason. They need to crit to get going, which isn't too tough, but there are other crit based teams that could do just as well offensively with better support. Poggle's buff is amazing, maybe even a bit overpowered, but it could benefit non-droid teams almost as well.

I'm sure they're eventually going to put new characters in the Arena shipments, and the current crop sucks balls, hence why I recommend just hoarding Arena marks.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Eeth Koth is a kewl anti-droid jedi.

He p much sucks, tho...

People say good things about Greedo for a hard-hitting DPS class.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 17, 2016

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

That was a pain in the dick. Sid Kylo Daka Lumi JC got it done, though, and only Sid died. I miss retreat cheese. :(

Greedo is terrible. Eeth Koth, too. Don't go anti- any specific archetype, just make a badass all-around team.

CG_John_Salera is about to start answering some of the criticisms of the new GW change:
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/6490/recent-change-to-galactic-war-open-conversation/p9

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 17, 2016

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm on my 4th GW match before the end and I see it's already time to pucker up.

Josh Phipps whalin' team:
SEVEN STAR LEIA, lvl 53 :wtc:
Five star Kylo Ren, Lumi and Boba Fett.
Oh, and a 4 star Dooku.
:psyduck:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

I'm on my 4th GW match before the end and I see it's already time to pucker up.

Josh Phipps whalin' team:
SEVEN STAR LEIA, lvl 53 :wtc:
Five star Kylo Ren, Lumi and Boba Fett.
Oh, and a 4 star Dooku.
:psyduck:

That's about where I start letting characters die. I really do find all of the cookie cutter teams tedious, but then again they just match my team so what does that say.

12x Sid, 12x lumi, 12x JC/daka

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mooktastical posted:

That was a pain in the dick. Sid Kylo Daka Lumi JC got it done, though, and only Sid died. I miss retreat cheese. :(

Greedo is terrible. Eeth Koth, too. Don't go anti- any specific archetype, just make a badass all-around team.

CG_John_Salera is about to start answering some of the criticisms of the new GW change:
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/6490/recent-change-to-galactic-war-open-conversation/p9

Yea that was a tough rear end fight. I managed to get that team down to just Phasma after two full team wipes. And I managed it only because I had an injured FOTP I forgot about.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Had to try out some different combos, got pretty far with Talia but lost both her and JC. Swapped Talia out for Asajj and just as it turns out, she's a perfect Leia counter, nix stealth field :byewhore:

Leia did pull 3 attacks in a row, but my Sid hung on by a thread... had she been just a few levels higher. Man, I see why she's a nightmare once tricked out.

Next up: Full lvl 60 teams (so mine plus 1), seven star purple Lumi :gonk:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jibo posted:

I just cleared a GW and got about 900 total for the whole thing :shrug:

Could have been a fluke.

I always get exactly 1200 for a full clear. I've yet to see any variation in that. I don't actually read my GW rewards...But after doing it I have exactly 1200 tokens.

Also, on Luke/Poe tenacity....I think Poe hits 100% tenacity really easily, actually. I just leveled Stand Firm from 25% to 30%, but his character stats (already at 42%) didn't go up at all. So, I think that additional 30% isn't include in his 42%, so he should be at 72%. Add in Luke's 37% bonus, and he will never take a debuff. I ran him in GW until he died (about 2/3 - he's still only 3* G6), and he didn't take a single debuff, despite taking Sid's AOE + Sid's healing debuff attack basically every fight. The huge advantage here is that once you get Poe's taunt off, Sid isn't scary because you will always be able to heal Poe (for 2 turns while he's taking the damage). I mean, if they don't have Daka, FOTP, Leia, or someone of that caliber, you should still focus Sid, but, Poe makes it a lot easier to just completely ignore Sid (and Vader, and Kylo, and Dooku, and really all the Sith debuffers).

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 17, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'd really start thinking about a deeper bench. Once you approach the 21k team power, you start hitting whale after whale. Pretty much any fight from 4 on, is full 6/7* with Mauls/ Leias/ Kylo's etc. You need to think about how to go around 8 rounds of GW and facing team after team of that poo poo.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Zotix posted:

I'd really start thinking about a deeper bench. Once you approach the 21k team power, you start hitting whale after whale. Pretty much any fight from 4 on, is full 6/7* with Mauls/ Leias/ Kylo's etc. You need to think about how to go around 8 rounds of GW and facing team after team of that poo poo.

While this is the goal, I don't have the shards, credits, or training droids to accomplish this. I don't want to spend any more money than I already have on this game (I think $60). This is why I was saying I was hoping I could hit 60 before the update, because it would give me some time to catch up some of my other characters, at least as far as levels and gear goes. Now it's back to just focusing on my top 5 or 6 heroes...because I can't do anything else. It looks like leveling slows down even more after 60 though, so I guess there's hope.

e: I've also put some more edits on my post intended for the OP. Since this thread is pretty new, I don't really want to create another one, so I'm hoping we can get the OP to tack that on. I've messaged him, but :shrug:

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 17, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Yep I'm in same boat. Just got my second 7* and hit 62 today. Only leveling my arena team at this point and I got another 7* and a 6 to think about this week. Also in a slum on light/dark. Only gear I need is either L66 or locked behind mission 7. I spent the day doing random hards for shards and getting the crappiest odds like 0/6 and 1/6 on some chars.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I decided to just start working on my Light Side/Dark Side teams today so I can push through further in those missions. Down to 300k credits though :saddowns:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I'm going to work on Ackbar. He's so good in Arena and GW against debuff teams.

Mr. Neutron posted:

One thing I have not seen mentioned yet that should go to the OP: the order of AI actions in GW is predermined: that is, if you, let's say, lose your JC to Sid crit + Luminara assist in the first round, it will happen again if you retreat. You need to shuffle your squad (or even change leader) to prevent it.

Thanks, added to my post on the previous page.

Jibo posted:

Not completely true. I think that if Daka's passive revives, it still counts as 3*. However, with either of Ewok Elder's revives, you will get 1 or 2 stars, even if all 5 are up.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 17, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

Not completely true. I think that if Daka's passive revives, it still counts as 3*. However, with either of Ewok Elder's revives, you will get 1 or 2 stars, even if all 5 are up.

I can confirm that even if Daka revives a dead dude and you end a match with 5 standing, you will get a 2-star rating.

This was the case in that lovely savage oppress challenge, anyways.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
It will display 1-2 stars on the victory screen but give you 3-stars on mission select and let you autoplay it with sim tickets.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

High Lord Elbow posted:

It will display 1-2 stars on the victory screen but give you 3-stars on mission select and let you autoplay it with sim tickets.

This happened for me as well. 1/2 stars at end, but 3 stars on mission select. (With Daka)

Edit: Maybe the type of revive matters? Since Daka can revive with her heal and also passively. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a bug.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Davethulhu posted:

This happened for me as well. 1/2 stars at end, but 3 stars on mission select. (With Daka)

Edit: Maybe the type of revive matters? Since Daka can revive with her heal and also passively. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a bug.

No the OP saw it on a challenge which doesn't matter for 3 or 2. I've done it both the active and passive and gotten to sim it in both but both times it was the same round they died in so that may matter.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Holy loving poo poo. My bracket has a guy with Qui Gon lead, FOTP, Leia, Old Ben, and Poe. AWESOME

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Chilichimp posted:

I can confirm that even if Daka revives a dead dude and you end a match with 5 standing, you will get a 2-star rating.

This was the case in that lovely savage oppress challenge, anyways.

Also the leader you borrow from another player/friend doesn't count to your star rating. If you lose them you can still get 3 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

Decided to try my luck with a few packs.... umm... drat... I had already unlocked Maul too

dandaman fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 18, 2016

• Locked thread