Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Squallege posted:

If Piccolo's good enough to be in the tournament surely he can do something with Gohan

piccolo's spot in the tournament just seems like a matter of not having better options, honestly. who that they didn't already ask is stronger than piccolo besides gohan, who was ruled out for being a nerd?

piccolo's cool and all but he hasn't been a relevant fighter since cell absorbed 17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Piccolo and Gohan will use fusion to be cooler than everyone

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

This is just used to explain how Piccolo got stronger. It'll flashback to Gohan being Super Cyan and getting beat up by Piccolo.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
gohan really shouldn't need to train with anyone, as long as he actually trains he should get better, maybe goku could give him a tip about not leaking ki everywhere but other than that he needs to just punch harder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Piccolo's strength isn't really a big factor on his teaching ability. He doesn't have to be the strongest to teach someone stronger than him. Hell, they had him training Gotenks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Piccolo is more wise and intelligent than anything, which I suppose translates in this series into kung fu mentoring.

Buu didn't absorb him for his power, after all.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Maybe Gohan will finally learn the Makansopopulous Special Beam Cannon.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Maybe Gohan will finally learn the Makansopopulous Special Beam Cannon.

He'll learn clothes beam and never forget his Gi again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gohan will master Clothes Beam and force heavier and heavier clothes onto his opponents, limiting their movement.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan will forget how to go super saiyan at all, causing him and piccolo to go visit king kai and learn kaioken so that it can finally be relevant again

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

piccolo's spot in the tournament just seems like a matter of not having better options, honestly.

Shoulda been Frieza.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

Shoulda been Frieza.

Frieza's on the other team

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Manatee Cannon posted:

gohan will forget how to go super saiyan at all, causing him and piccolo to go visit king kai and learn kaioken so that it can finally be relevant again

That's what the potential unlock was. The 24 hour one at least.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gohan naturally tapping into God Ki would be sweet tbh, and with the Kai having done his thing I bet he could do it.

Meanwhile Piccolo's gonna finally realize it was there the whole time and he just couldn't understand it until someone else used it, he's been a God for at least 200 years anyways :v:

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Can we talk about original Dragon ball on here? I just watched the Jackie Chun final fight and I think it's one of my favorites from the whole series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Can we talk about original Dragon ball on here? I just watched the Jackie Chun final fight and I think it's one of my favorites from the whole series.

Of course we can talk about it!! That fight really is quite good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I will allow all Dragon ball talk except talk about the animation in super.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Dragonball is way better than DBZ.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

That's not very fair.

The Dragon Ball anime being as good as it is is part of the reason why Dragon Ball Z was crippled so horribly.

They basically *BURNED* through the manga of Dragon Ball when making the anime and only really started pulling the kind of bullshit pacing stuff by the tail end of the King Piccolo and Piccolo Jr arcs. Mostly the Piccolo Jr arc.

Most of the Dragon Ball Anime is a one to one thing, and the few bits of filler, like the few random totaly made up episodes or filler arcs, are so easily skippable and take away NOTHING if you do. I actually tried watching Dragon Ball by just skipping all of the filler and it was completely coherent and very easy.

Dragon Ball Z suffered big time for that because...well yeah.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I will say that Dragon Ball and Kai back to back are incredibly enjoyable.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Truth. Power creep inevitably ruins everything,

(Forgetting a good chunk of your cast doesn't help either.)

Edit: Not even arguing manga versus anime here, Dragonball is better overall.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dragon ball would be better than dbz even if the dbz anime wasn't pure steaming garbage

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Dragonball manga is better than the DBZ manga, though both are very very good.

Both anime versions have severe pacing and filler issues.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Truth. Power creep inevitably ruins everything,

(Forgetting a good chunk of your cast doesn't help either.)

Edit: Not even arguing manga versus anime here, Dragonball is better overall.

Goku is the only important character for the vast majority of dragon ball

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Despite that, Goku vs Vegeta is by far the best fight Toriyama produced.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There really isn't enough difference between Dragonball and Z to call one better.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Honestly, describing Dragonball Z reads like someone's terrible fan-fiction follow-up.

"So in my story it turns out that Goku isn't actually human or a monkey-boy/god or something, he's actually a SPACE ALIEN! And so are Piccolo and Kami, and the Dragonballs are just something that their people can make! Also Goku and Chi Chi have a son despite Goku being an Alien, and their son is super strong and special! And then Goku's brother shows up, and his name is Radish and he tells Goku that his real name is Carrot, and they come from the planet Vegetable because LOL! And then he tells Goku that he was sent to Earth to kill everyone there so that the Vegetable Aliens can sell the planet, but he hit his head when he was little and that made him forget and also is why he's kind of retarded. Piccolo and Goku team up to fight him and then Piccolo kills them both!" Etc, etc, etc.

What I'm hearing about Revenge of F/Battle of the Gods/Super is not making things any better. Which is sad because Jako the Galactic Patrolman (sans the Bardock retcon at the end), shows that Toriyama can still do neat and interesting stories.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Battle of Gods is way, waaay better than Jaco, and Jaco is still pretty good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The original Dragon Ball did a reasonably good job with varied and tactical fights, but starting with Raditz everyone had basically the same powerset, and when Zarbon/Cui/Dodaria showed up powerups kind of replaced actual tactics. There were still some good fights later on, though, like the final battle against Buu.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest everyone talks about tactics but rewatching it the only time tactics matters are joke fights.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest everyone talks about tactics but rewatching it the only time tactics matters are joke fights.

Those are also some of the best fights

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Those are also some of the best fights

But there aren't that many tho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Must be photoshopped

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

RickVoid posted:

Honestly, describing Dragonball Z reads like someone's terrible fan-fiction follow-up.

"So in my story it turns out that Goku isn't actually human or a monkey-boy/god or something, he's actually a SPACE ALIEN! And so are Piccolo and Kami, and the Dragonballs are just something that their people can make! Also Goku and Chi Chi have a son despite Goku being an Alien, and their son is super strong and special! And then Goku's brother shows up, and his name is Radish and he tells Goku that his real name is Carrot, and they come from the planet Vegetable because LOL! And then he tells Goku that he was sent to Earth to kill everyone there so that the Vegetable Aliens can sell the planet, but he hit his head when he was little and that made him forget and also is why he's kind of retarded. Piccolo and Goku team up to fight him and then Piccolo kills them both!" Etc, etc, etc.

What I'm hearing about Revenge of F/Battle of the Gods/Super is not making things any better. Which is sad because Jako the Galactic Patrolman (sans the Bardock retcon at the end), shows that Toriyama can still do neat and interesting stories.
"So after winning a tournament Goku has to fight the devil but then the devil spits out an egg and he's really an alien but in order to fight the baby alien he has to be trained by the devil alien's good side."

This is really just Toriyama's writing style, it seems. I agree with Charles

CharlestheHammer posted:

There really isn't enough difference between Dragonball and Z to call one better.
It's an arbitrary split in a continuous story.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Grandson of Rice meets Panties who offers to flash him for his family heirloom.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What's hilarious about that is it only makes sense if you count Z and the original as separate things. Instead of it becoming fanfiction randomly half way in the story.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I would like to remind you all that this whole shebang started as a severely truncated retelling of Journey to the West

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

RickVoid posted:

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Pureauthor posted:

I would like to remind you all that this whole shebang started as a severely truncated retelling of Journey to the West
I was actually trying to think at what point DB might seem like "fanfiction" and it probably is right after this point. Toriyama had just cleared his major overarching story arc and then had to come up something, and thus the rest of the series is pretty unconnected sudden story lines held together by an overarching theme based around martial arts.

• Locked thread