Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If you buy a cheap tau bundle I'm going to assume you're wanting to play 40k, which is A Bad Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Icon Of Sin posted:

If you buy a cheap tau bundle I'm going to assume you're wanting to play 40k, which is A Bad Game.

I was more thinking encouraging stuff like actual sales instead of 5 dwarves for 40 bucks. But you guys are right, I forgot this is the company that proudly said they never do market research.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Herr Tog posted:

do they do tau poo poo?

I thought bolters were caseless...

They are. The majority of a writers and sculptors don't know this, however.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Don't forget the artists.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

thespaceinvader posted:

Safety Factor posted:

Don't forget the artists.

Doesn't that mean they aren't caseless, then?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

Doesn't that mean they aren't caseless, then?

Rule of Cool. They are caseless when they want, shells fly when it is cool. I'm sure they can write it off either way depending on the pattern of the bolter.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They look better with cases. Also hyperspace works at the speed of plot. Come on guys.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Chill la Chill posted:

They look better with cases.

This plus "explosive-tip caseless" sounding cooler gives you the answer. The rule of cool permeates everything.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's a total war game, so buying it at release is a chump move anyway. Wait until it's been out long enough to go on sale, and then buy it if people tell you it's good

Total War games the last decade has an even risk of shipping with gamebreaking bugs and could be pretty unplayable until the first major expansion corrects them, if you are lucky. Buying a TW game on release day is as good an idea as pre-ordering a new GW tabletop game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

lilljonas posted:

Total War games the last decade has an even risk of shipping with gamebreaking bugs and could be pretty unplayable until the first major expansion corrects them, if you are lucky. Buying a TW game on release day is as good an idea as pre-ordering a new GW tabletop game.

Most of them aren't very well designed in the first place- Shogun 2 is their best design but the kind of guy who would like GW would want superficially different units more than serious internal balance. Shogun 2 lacks particularly diverse factions, but you can actually use most of the roster in that game reasonably effectively whereas Rome 2 and Attila's design is very one-note.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm excited for the Walking Dead game. They've got rules for characters panicking and freaking out. It sounds very cinematic, I can't wait to forge that narrative.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Panzeh posted:

Most of them aren't very well designed in the first place- Shogun 2 is their best design but the kind of guy who would like GW would want superficially different units more than serious internal balance. Shogun 2 lacks particularly diverse factions, but you can actually use most of the roster in that game reasonably effectively whereas Rome 2 and Attila's design is very one-note.

It's amazing to see how much better the gunpowder units in the game behaved from empire to Napoleon to shogun fall of the samurai. Shogun 2 being the best one is lucky for me cuz I love those samurai and ashigaru. :3:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

boom boom boom posted:

I'm excited for the Walking Dead game. They've got rules for characters panicking and freaking out. It sounds very cinematic, I can't wait to forge that narrative.

You should head over to the Mantic thread and chat about it with us.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Indolent Bastard posted:

I did!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

I can't wait for them to forge that narrative all over the warpath kickstarter.

Ugghhh I should go for a refund but enforcers so awesome looking

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

NTRabbit posted:

Did someone say X-Wing, but for historical tanks?

By Battlefront, in 15mm, so presumably expandable to their entire line which you may already have.

"Why didn't GW think of this?" "Why is it so cheap?" etc. The hits just keep on coming.

This sounds completely like my jam and I can't wait till the tenth wave release of Italy Tankettes and fictional early Cold War prototype tanks

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bad Moon posted:

This sounds completely like my jam and I can't wait till the tenth wave release of Italy Tankettes and fictional early Cold War prototype tanks

I want to see tankettes all over. T-26s, tankettes, and Hotchkiss tanks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

LordAba posted:

Rule of Cool. They are caseless when they want, shells fly when it is cool. I'm sure they can write it off either way depending on the pattern of the bolter.

Also the people working on all this stuff were (and likely still are) a bunch of British nerds whose entire frame of reference for firearms probably comes from reading 2000AD comics and Biggles novels. Plenty of the early art makes it apparent that no one involved has any actual idea how a gun might function, or likely any actual exposure to one at all. Also, before the time when you could easily google up reference information and images, so it's like some weird cargo-cult conception of guns.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NTRabbit posted:

By Battlefront, in 15mm, so presumably expandable to their entire line which you may already have.

"Why didn't GW think of this?" "Why is it so cheap?" etc. The hits just keep on coming.

My only question is, does that game have rules that will let you destroy a Maus like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiIQ2zTwguc

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-auric-runemaster-en.pdf

So the dwarf HQ has that seeker of ur-gold ability. The more expensive guy on the dragolothmagatron doesn't, he has a lovely version of the sigmarines morale buff.

The enemy picks a unit that has ur-gold and can reroll 1s on wound rolls. If you get your HQ in range of them everything in your army gets an additional attack.

Is this terrible or good? It seems like it'd be good with ranged units with high damage attacks or with ogres or something and i guess you can take whatever you want now.
But it means if you're fighting against Fyreslyryrs and you know your opponent doesn't have a dragon you can just make a unit that has 2+ to wound through buffs or whatever and then have an auto-wounding deathsquad that the enemy has to get their leader near since you can pick the unit. Or just make it a pointless 3 man unit of swordsmen to waste it.

He also just generally kind of sucks, 4+ save on a lord, he's slow as poo poo and short ranged, he deals no damage, he would take 3 rounds to deal a wound in combat against himself on average so it would take him 18 rounds to kill himself. Apart from his seekers ability that can be abused easily by your opponent he also has an ability that has a long range but only wounds on a 6+ and only targets units in terrain. It also has an alright aftereffect of making the terrain outright kill models if they roll 1 when running through it afterwards so you're basically spending £18 for dangerous terrain tests.

The warscrolls are fun to analyse but I'm not super good at telling what is and isn't poo poo. Apart from Age of Sigmar itself of course.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't try and analyze Age of Sigmar rules. It's not worth the effort. Accept that everything is bad and dumb and awful.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Safety Factor posted:

Don't try and analyze Age of Sigmar rules. It's not worth the effort. Accept that everything is bad and dumb and awful.
Yeah, without the larger framework of an actual game around them, you're essentially back to being six years old and going "no my dwarf powers means Billy is dead because my dragon made the ground lava!! Noooo!!! I'm telling mama games workshop you're a WAACer!!"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Safety Factor posted:

i literally got 2 sentences into a post dissecting the rules, went "nah. i won't" and went back to see this post added in the interim time. seriously don't do it. the rules are just loving abysmal.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Yes the Okami Technocracy are very Tau-like and they have (from what I can tell) a 1:1 equivalency of all units.

They called them Okami? Jesus

Josef bugman posted:

So on the "don't give GW money" idea, should I not buy total warhammer? Because I really like Creative Assembly.

re:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's a total war game, so buying it at release is a chump move anyway. Wait until it's been out long enough to go on sale, and then buy it if people tell you it's good

Chill la Chill posted:

The entire total war series (from Medieval 2 to Rome 2) periodically goes on sale or humble bundle for as cheap as $15. Including most DLCs. You could get that instead cuz total warhammer is prob just gonna be a re-skin of Rome 2 + Shogun 2 (if we're lucky).

and wait for them to fix all their mistakes

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah, get Vermintide. It's surprisingly good.

How about Mordenheim?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm wicked bored at 2am so heres some more warscroll poo poo

So something i noticed quite early on when the rules first started coming out was because they've removed template weapons the number of different things an attack or offensive ability can do is severely limited. They basically settled this by just making EVERYTHING into "do d6/d3 mortal wounds" or some varation thereof. I think this is because the normalisation of attack rolls and the additional wounds they added to compensate basically means without these abilities nothing would happen for the whole game since each unit has something like a one in six chance of doing something per attack. I think this is also why they added multiwound attacks to lots of things, which actually i think is maybe the only good mechanical addition.
Anyway, everything is d3/d6 mortal wounds but they come up with more and more esoteric ways of making you roll to determine whether or not you roll d3 or d6 or 2d6 or whatever, because they realised they cant have all magic and warmachines doing exactly the same thing.

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-auric-runefather-magmadroth-en.pdf

Check out the above smegmadroth, he has 3 offensive abilities and 3 buff/debuffs. The debuffs are alright actually, i kinda like the weapon breaker one since the 4+ armour save makes this a kinda nice "dont hit me" ability for a relatively squishy unit.
However, all 3 of his offensive abilities deal d6/d3 mortal wounds.
He sprays fire at someone? roll a dice. if you roll under the number of models in the unit deal d3 mortal wounds or d6 if you're within 6''.
He lashes with his tail? roll a dice for each unit within 3''. if you roll under the number of models in the unit deal d3 mortal wounds.
He gets attacked and sprays someone with fyreblyd? roll a dice and if its lower than the number of wounds you just took deal d3 mortal wounds.

Everything is the goddamn same but with a single "roll to see if you roll" roll and its not even very good, d3 wounds is gently caress all for a centrepeice dragon's firebreath, the goddamn high elf in the starter 2player pack could kill thrice as many skaven as that. They seem to have decided d6 wounds is some amazing holy grail of damage.

This reaches insane heights when you look at the warp lightning warscroll:

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-skaven-en.pdf

You gotta look for it in there so I'll just paste the loving thing since its one of the craziest things in Age of Sigmar.

quote:

Warp Lightning Cannon:
To fire the Warp Lightning Cannon, first select an enemy unit as the target then roll a dice; the result of this dice determines the power of the warp lightning shot. Next, roll six more dice. Each time one of these dice equals or beats the result of the power dice, the target unit suffers a mortal wound. For example, if the first dice rolled was a 2, the target would suffer a mortal wound for each of the next six dice rolled that score a 2 or more.

So you roll a dice, which tells you what you're rolling over, then you roll SIX more dice rolling over that. Huh, so a maximum of 6 wounds... its the most convoluted way of rolling d6 mortal wounds possible. It gets you to roll seven dice just because GW is too embarassed at this point to ask you to roll one.
And again, its goddamn garbage, all that song and dance just to get a possible 6 wounds if you're lucky. That might kill an unmounted, unnamed character but thats about it.
This is all a far cry from warpfire throwers and throwing a ballista bolt through a bretonnian wedge.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ I think the best I've seen (though I can't remember what it is) is you hit a unit on a 4+, then roll a D6 and consult a chart. On a 1 you miss, on a 2-5 you do D3 wounds, and on a 6 you do D6 wounds.

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, without the larger framework of an actual game around them, you're essentially back to being six years old and going "no my dwarf powers means Billy is dead because my dragon made the ground lava!! Noooo!!! I'm telling mama games workshop you're a WAACer!!"

Without points its the same thing. How many of these are worth one archon? Is he worth taking over the ranged unit? (nope)

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 18, 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

LordAba posted:

Without points its the same thing.
Yes. But there's also no armies, so there's no framework at all.

There's loving NOTHING.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

I will!

Panzeh posted:

Most of them aren't very well designed in the first place-

I agree but remember they are limited by the historical setting.

Bad Moon posted:

Tankettes! God now I wanna go and get some tankettes to build and paint.

boom boom boom posted:

My only question is, does that game have rules that will let you destroy a Maus like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiIQ2zTwguc

I also NEED to know this.

Broken Loose posted:

i literally got 2 sentences into a post dissecting the rules, went "nah. i won't"

same

Did anyone ever get back to me about a link to a 1/100 cargo plain or destroyer? For my terrible reasons.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Guys, I'm afraid that if they make some sort of rune golem thing, I might :siren: GIVE MONEY TO GW :siren:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

Guys, I'm afraid that if they make some sort of rune golem thing, I might :siren: GIVE MONEY TO GW :siren:

Don't worry, it's all naked muscledwarfs and fyresaurs from here on out.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I imagine the slayer army has the same issues that regular slayers had: they're too slow to avoid getting blasted apart by missile fire, too slow in combat to avoid getting meat grindered before they can attack, and aren't mean enough to pose a threat to anything scary.

Slayers were cool as gently caress but they really suffered from being dwarfs. Their 6" movement made sure that the things they were best at killing would never see combat with them. Also, dwarfs probably had the biggest arsenal of answers to monsters out of any army.

Edit: slayers would've been really cool if they got more deadly as the unit took casualties, had more attacks, or some sort of challenge bonus to make them character asssassins

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 18, 2016

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Edit: slayers would've been really cool if they got more deadly as the unit took casualties, had more attacks, or some sort of challenge bonus to make them character asssassins

That would be cool but they actually do the opposite, they are harder to kill the more of them there are. Yes, they have greenskin/skaven rules now.

At least most of their new poo poo has been pretty OP, if you ignore all the instawin combos and try desperately to turn it into a game I bet stormcast eternals poo poo all over Empire or whatever. Archaon kills any model outright if he rolls two sixes to wound and his dragon eats spells.

The fyreslyz dworgen just kinda... suck a bit. They came out of the gate with two pretty strong armies and now the lizardmen have had a model-less revamp that deletes all their special characters and gives them an emphasis on summoning which is mostly verboten in tourny rulesets (lol) and these dwarves are just a slow, unarmoured melee army with some standard shooting.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 18, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We don't have to just wonder what Warhammer: Total War gameplay is going to be like, because they've been generously posting it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQGv3n2Puw

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Spiderdrake posted:

I can't wait for them to forge that narrative all over the warpath kickstarter.

Ugghhh I should go for a refund but enforcers so awesome looking

Whoa, Mantic lets you do Kickstarter refunds? I've been kinda regretting my Warpath pledge and to be honest would like to refund it. Is there a FAQ or official statement on this somewhere?

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 18, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

NTRabbit posted:

I know this will be terrible to mediocre at best, by means of being a reskin cashgrab, but I so want it to be good. Soviets when???

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Yes. But there's also no armies, so there's no framework at all.

There's loving NOTHING.

it's just not even a real game

AoS is just a thing that exists, unfortunately

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Drone posted:

Whoa, Mantic lets you do Kickstarter refunds?
I think if you politely request they might. They don't have to, it is probably through their customer service so... yeah... and you don't get your full pledge back.

Worth a shot if you need the money. After talking to my friend who I split the pledge with it turns out he's really into it so I changed my mind. 2017 Enforcers ere we go.

Moola posted:

it's just not even a real game

AoS is just a thing that exists, unfortunately
This should be the thread title

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Spiderdrake posted:

I think if you politely request they might. They don't have to, it is probably through their customer service so... yeah... and you don't get your full pledge back.

Worth a shot if you need the money. After talking to my friend who I split the pledge with it turns out he's really into it so I changed my mind. 2017 Enforcers ere we go.
This should be the thread title

Meh, it's not so much that I need the money, but that I've been turned off of Mantic stuff in general over the last month or so.

I have no real good reason for wanting a refund besides buyer's remorse. Interests and tastes fluctuate I guess so maybe I'll get really into it again around the time the minis are expected to show up. Worst-case I can always eBay them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Isn't that the downside to kickstarters though? You generally pledge because you're really into it, but by the time it eventually comes out, even if it isn't late, you've moved on to other things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

Warmaster made them super killy but kinda squishy (for Dorfs) but gave them negative victory points; if they were still alive at the end of the game they cost the owner victory points as they'd failed to kill themselves gloriously is battle.

This leads to hilarious situation of Slayers charging right at the enemy but them often trying to avoid killing an otherwise fairly easy to kill unit.

• Locked thread