Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

in glorious japan, literally every entrance/exit gate of every station in the entire country has 1-2 people there to help.

most of whom speak very little english, but they'll still try :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

how fast is it on your iphone 6s?

I don't have an iphone 6s but it was slow as poo poo on my iphone 4s w/ failos 7+

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Beast of Bourbon posted:

in glorious japan, literally every entrance/exit gate of every station in the entire country has 1-2 people there to help.

actually once you get a few hours from Tokyo you get to lines like the ōme line that run on the honour system and don't even have gates

this works and people still pay because japan

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

this remains extremely my jam and I miss it very much :sigh:

http://i.imgur.com/mait2Au.webm

this is cool too.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
http://secondavenuesagas.com/2016/01/14/years-long-sandy-shutdowns-coming-to-the-l-train-but-extent-remains-to-be-determined/

nyc posters here already know about this but the canarsie tubes are either going to be half shut down for multiple years or fully shut down for one

literally hundreds of thousands of people take that train every day. it's one of the most packed trains in the goddamn city, it's a nightmare. their big solution? uh maybe busses over the wburg or east river bridge or add more cars to the g.

what i'm saying is, if you thought williamsburg was getting too gentrified you're probably about to be pleased

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VYVjR_nwE

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

they shut down the south side of the red line in Chicago for a year but only black people live there so it was ok. they didn't even add stations or extend the line

the amount of crazy reroutes they'll figure out to keep things running during improvement on the north side

rahm is a bad mayor

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

between this and their midnight sun cruises, norway looks p. cool place to go

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Phobeste posted:

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2016/01/14/years-long-sandy-shutdowns-coming-to-the-l-train-but-extent-remains-to-be-determined/

nyc posters here already know about this but the canarsie tubes are either going to be half shut down for multiple years or fully shut down for one

there's no loving way that they can get it done on time.

the montague street tunnel work came in on time and under budget because it was the easiest project out of nine damaged tunnels. that's why they did it first. it does not lead me to believe that the other projects will go that well

Phobeste posted:

literally hundreds of thousands of people take that train every day. it's one of the most packed trains in the goddamn city, it's a nightmare. their big solution? uh maybe busses over the wburg or east river bridge or add more cars to the g.

there's no chance they're gonna get dedicated busways on the bridge, either, because motorists will poo poo their pants

and of course both the governor and the mayor are, personally, dedicated motorists. for many years, the mayor commuted by car, voluntarily, between the most transit-connected areas of the city. adding hours to his commute just so he didn't have to ride a train.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 17, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That "PPG" sign in the beginning of your GIF stands for "Pittsburgh Plate Glass," a very large and important international company based in Pittsburgh.

This is their headquarters:

It is served by the Port Authority of Allegheny County's Gateway T Station, and many bus lines.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it was the bad guy's headquarters in the live action inspector gadget

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

it was the bad guy's headquarters in the live action inspector gadget

It's still the bad guy's headquarters. haha.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

That "PPG" sign in the beginning of your GIF stands for "Pittsburgh Plate Glass," a very large and important international company based in Pittsburgh.

It is served by the Port Authority of Allegheny County's Gateway T Station, and many bus lines.

philip johnson did some good stuff

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

minivanmegafun posted:

they shut down the south side of the red line in Chicago for a year but only black people live there so it was ok. they didn't even add stations or extend the line

the amount of crazy reroutes they'll figure out to keep things running during improvement on the north side

rahm is a bad mayor

well it helps that the north side has extra tracks for a line that only runs on them during rush hours, but it was pretty funny that the yellow line was shutdown for half a year because a construction crew hosed up an enbankment

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

wb tori

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Citizen Tayne posted:

the more you know

is there a yospos architecture thread too?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i took this once in the summer and it owns so hard

when you get to the mountains all the snow is melting and there are waterfalls everywhere

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

well it helps that the north side has extra tracks for a line that only runs on them during rush hours, but it was pretty funny that the yellow line was shutdown for half a year because a construction crew hosed up an enbankment

I don't get why the yellow line is in the CTA's wheelhouse and hasn't been punted to Metra

likewise I don't get why the Metra Electric isn't part of the CTA

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there's no loving way that they can get it done on time.

the montague street tunnel work came in on time and under budget because it was the easiest project out of nine damaged tunnels. that's why they did it first. it does not lead me to believe that the other projects will go that well

ya and also they could reroute over the bridge so it wasn't like you couldn't go from downtown Brooklyn to Manhattan anymore you'd just have to walk a bit more on each end. most of the l is quite a hike from the m! they're gonna have to do something but who the gently caress knows what

quote:

there's no chance they're gonna get dedicated busways on the bridge, either, because motorists will poo poo their pants

and of course both the governor and the mayor are, personally, dedicated motorists. for many years, the mayor commuted by car, voluntarily, between the most transit-connected areas of the city. adding hours to his commute just so he didn't have to ride a train.

comparatively nobody uses the montague tubes either

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

minivanmegafun posted:

I don't get why the yellow line is in the CTA's wheelhouse and hasn't been punted to Metra

likewise I don't get why the Metra Electric isn't part of the CTA

access to the heavy maintenance yard honestly. part of the huge problem was that they couldnt deliver rail cars over there for scheduled maintenance

the metra electric schedules are really confusing and dumb because later at night they just have trains go back and forth on the branch lines and you have to transfer to get back to millenium

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

dazjw posted:

actually once you get a few hours from Tokyo you get to lines like the ōme line that run on the honour system and don't even have gates

tbh i would still pay 'cause :canada:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a lotta metros in europe are semi honor system, there are no ticket gates

random checks but i've experienced them very very rarely

still always paid

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's still the bad guy's headquarters. haha.

!!!!!!!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can't wait for the mta to close the Canarsie tunnel because it will keep all but the most desperate bros out of north Brooklyn (NoBro)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
they're just switching away from honor system here and people are pissed.

vancouver, not even once.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I can't wait for the mta to close the Canarsie tunnel because it will keep all but the most desperate bros out of north Brooklyn (NoBro)

the streets will just clog with taxis earlier in the evening

if you were gonna drop $200 to go barhopping in williamsburg, what's an extra $20 to cab it out there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wild EEPROM posted:

even better, the studies all show that it will cause massive peak hour congestion in the stations, and more importantly, will not generate enough revenue to pay for its implementation and ongoing costs

they're literally losing money to make the system less convenient.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the streets will just clog with taxis earlier in the evening

if you were gonna drop $200 to go barhopping in williamsburg, what's an extra $20 to cab it out there.

bros are lazy though. their quests for instant gratification are the defining aspects of their characters

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bros are lazy though. their quests for instant gratification are the defining aspects of their characters
they'll just go back to ruining the LES like they were before brooklyn was cool

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

infernal machines posted:

even better, the studies all show that it will cause massive peak hour congestion in the stations, and more importantly, will not generate enough revenue to pay for its implementation and ongoing costs

they're literally losing money to make the system less convenient.

thanks taxpayers

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 15, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my favourite part is how the gates all emit a long high-pitched beep when a card is tapped so rush hour sounds like a mcdonald's kitchen after a little league double header

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

jfc I thought they had a good thing going out there. welp

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

people had the opportunity to get the new tap cards for 3 months and they didn't do it because it was so inconvenient or they're afraid of change or whatever. then they were OUTRAGED when their footdragging resulted in further inconvenience and long lineups at the tap card vending machines.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 19, 2016

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

THC posted:

my favourite part is how the gates all emit a long high-pitched beep when a card is tapped so rush hour sounds like a mcdonald's kitchen after a little league double header

i hate that loving noise so much. it's like they asked for the shrillest whine possible

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

how else are ppl gonna know it worked?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

just took Coaster from Encinitas down into SD. it was pretty good. the amtrak trains share track and blast through the little coaster stations at like 80mph and it's pretty nuts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Coaster ftw

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

dazjw posted:

yeah, it's neat,

also i write very ambiguously because this is what i said on the previous page

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Smythe posted:

Coaster ftw

it's weird taking a piss on public transit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

can YOU find all of New York city's secret subway bathrooms???? there are honestly smells in them I have never smelt before

• Locked thread