Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

Yeah, but again, those views are rendered moot by making major vaccinations mandatory. It's really not a thing to be left to free choice.

No poo poo, but we live in a democracy where people with these views will vote against making them mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

whowhatwhere posted:

I'm not, I was trying to talk about the season as a whole without blatantly talking about the entire arc.

I'm just sayin it's not a 1-3, it's a constant 8 that raises to 9 or 10 at points

That was the main reason I quit it the first time because the self-satisfied hectoring and general misery seemed like all the show was capable of (for reference I literally quit mid-episode 7), an anti-USA show. It was good but just as surface-level and facile, just in the opposite direction

To me saying "oh it's not 'gently caress the system'" sells the show incorrectly, because that's how I was sold it and the first seven episodes are SOLELY "gently caress the system", to the level that I stopped watching because I assumed it was just that shallow. To me selling mr. Robot is going "it's an anti-establishment manifesto for a vast majority of its run but ends up using that leaning and presumption to expand and reflect its scope for the audience". Because yeah if that dude goes into the show expecting it not to be "Elliot smugly rages against the machine" he will be sorely disappointed for the vast majority of its run, which sucks all the more because that final act is worth watching the whole season to see and it's built super, super well

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 18, 2016

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
For some reason I keep watching Madam Secretary and I think it is the most insane show. In this episode the US ambassador to Myanmar went native and took the Burmese president hostage at gunpoint because the president was about to sign a trade agreement that would be against the interest of his people so Tea Leoni had to get a quick introduction Buddhism from her religious scholar-husband to talk him down :suicide:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boatswain posted:

For some reason I keep watching Madam Secretary and I think it is the most insane show. In this episode the US ambassador to Myanmar went native and took the Burmese president hostage at gunpoint because the president was about to sign a trade agreement that would be against the interest of his people so Tea Leoni had to get a quick introduction Buddhism from her religious scholar-husband to talk him down :suicide:

what the gently caress

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CBS is the worst loving goddamn poo poo network uGHHHHH

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So TBS Is using this opportunity to promote shows that it actually thinks could be renewed, and they both seem...REALLY strange and interesting for TBS. In particular, Search Party -- co-created by Michael Showalter and staring Alia Shawkat -- looks heavy as hell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

So TBS Is using this opportunity to promote shows that it actually thinks could be renewed, and they both seem...REALLY strange and interesting for TBS. In particular, Search Party -- co-created by Michael Showalter and staring Alia Shawkat -- looks heavy as hell.

There's apparently a big rebranding going on, they're changing their slogan (to what they haven't said) and everything.

They're still comedy focused but I guess they're trying to be a little edgier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
TBS
We Know Drama

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TBS
Very Funny

Their slogans are garbage

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snak posted:

TBS
We Know Drama
TBS
Characters Welcome?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
TBS: The Best Shows

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
TBS: Home Box Office

edit: "They call me MISTER TBS!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Must See TB

S

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Toxxupation posted:

I'm just sayin it's not a 1-3, it's a constant 8 that raises to 9 or 10 at points

Ah, I suppose I make a distinction between Elliot & co. and the show. Elliot and everyone else are crazy loving smug anti-establishment, but the show as a whole isn't smug. But I guess that wouldn't be helpful to someone just getting into it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
In all seriousness, the three shows they've previewed all look like they have serious potential. They just previewed People of Earth with Wyatt Cenac and Ana Gastyer, about a support group for alien abductees.

Seriously, a lot of this stuff looks creative and cool as poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

whowhatwhere posted:

Ah, I suppose I make a distinction between Elliot & co. and the show. Elliot and everyone else are crazy loving smug anti-establishment, but the show as a whole isn't smug. But I guess that wouldn't be helpful to someone just getting into it.

Yeah, Elliot is totally doing the whole Tyler Durden "eff society maaaan, you are your khakis" bit but the show makes it pretty clear from episode one that he is a mentally ill drug addict and that his worldview isn't endorsed by the show but instead the result of a severely broken individual.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Eh I dunno, now we're getting into Real Spoilers but i would say early on the show pretty overtly endorses Elliot's actions and worldview

sure it presents him as a hypocrite (and he constantly admits as such) but it's all with the subtext of (but he's still right, you know.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

like if I were to say the one operating credo for the first 2/3 of mr. robot season one is "everyone is an rear end in a top hat, just that these assholes happen to be doing the right thing, but that's almost coincidental"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah like the lovely hunger games monologue in the pilot that's probably the weakest thing about it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So I gather that Billions. despite having Paul Giamatti, Damian Lewis, and Maggie Sif, is pretty terrible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like the two main actors I think you'll enjoy it for what it is. Lots of fun scenery chewing. Also the guy's name is Bobby Axelrod.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

So I gather that Billions. despite having Paul Giamatti, Damian Lewis, and Maggie Sif, is pretty terrible.

The only review I've seen was more a C grade, so just "not good". But disappointing nonetheless- it seems like interesting material but difficult to make good TV out of.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

pentyne posted:

I liked it a lot, actually. At heart it's a well-acted soap opera revolving around rich white guys, but there's a tiny, tiny chance it has something interesting to say, and I'm game to see if it does.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

I liked it a lot, actually.

no way

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maxwell Lord posted:

The only review I've seen was more a C grade, so just "not good". But disappointing nonetheless- it seems like interesting material but difficult to make good TV out of.

Have you seen it? Just watch the first 2 minutes of the pilot and you'll know if the show is for you.

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNQiefaevZw

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 18, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

I liked it a lot, actually. At heart it's a well-acted soap opera revolving around rich white guys, but there's a tiny, tiny chance it has something interesting to say, and I'm game to see if it does.
I really really doubt it but if it's fun to watch because it's just rich white guys being top-tier rich white guys it should be more than enough. Right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost likes niche TV show! This and other headlines, tonight at eleven!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Instead of BILLIONS they should've just brought back PROFIT.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone who likes Damien Lewis owes it to themselves to watch Life, his short-lived police procedural. Donal Logue also plays a regular in most of the series. It's nothing really special, it's mostly standard fare for police procedural with a weird characters twist. The premise is that Damien Lewis plays a cop that got sentenced to life in prison for the murder of his partner and his partner's wife. After serving 12 years in prison, during which he was brutally abused by both guards and inmates, he is exonerated and wins a gigantic, multimillionaire dollar settlement, which he accepts on the one condition: He get his old job back as homicide detective for the LAPD. He then solves crimes day-to-day while secretly working to hunt down the man who killed his partner and framed him.

It's only like 32 episodes total, so it's totally worth a watch if you watch police procedurals.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Life is an all-time great show for me, alongside Friday Night Lights, Person of Interest, and Journeyman.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought you never even finished Life.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought you never even finished Life.
I think we all have to die to say we finished life.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

counterpoint:

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/46998/Prince-of-Persia-NBC-Life-Style

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

a game console...it's like a computer isn't it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oh man. I forgot about that. Fuckin' lol.

edit: I'm not sure that's really a counterpoint, tho.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Detective, I'm thirty years old, I live with my mother, and...I have a Captain Kirk costume in my closet. :smug:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

*watches the Something is Awful goon play prince of persia, is a hot girl*

*starts miming using the controller like I'm some sort of fuckin rain man or some poo poo*

*Damien Lewis looks at me and is all HOLY poo poo GIRLS?! CAN PLAY?! VIDEO GAMES?!*

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Detective, I'm thirty years old, I live with my mother, and...I have a Captain Kirk costume in my closet. :smug:

Is this what he says when they are like "can you get to 'level 10' of Prince of Persia?"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It sort of bothers me how quickly both Jessica Jones and Daredevil drop the legit side job thing in their series'. Neither of them do much, if any, lawyering/PI-ing after the first two or three episodes. Jessica uses her PI skills to track people a few times I guess but beyond that they're both really poo poo at sticking to their jobs.

IIRC can't Matt Murdoch's firm only pay the bills at the start because Wilson Fisk's companies are directly funding them? I doubt that lasted long enough to keep them in the black...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well the end of each series is them establishing their business as solid with their back-story angst resolved...

I do wish that Matt Murdock was portrayed as a good lawyer.

• Locked thread