Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a jar of Better Than Bullion that I use in a pinch if I need some flavor but can't dilute what I'm making (and can't make more of it).

I'd also use stock over water, but that's just me.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Demi is mostly just really reduced stock, often with wine. Using it+water is basically using stock. Using equal parts roux and stock seems off to me though unless your stock is very strong

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
If you have a proper demi, thinning it with water should be fine to create a broth, it just sounds like you used too much roux to liquid.

Generally you want about 1 tablespoon each fat and flour worth of roux, maybe just a bit more, to thicken 1 cup of liquid. Your liquid can be your demi + water and if it's not flavorful enough just add more demi.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

mich posted:

If you have a proper demi, thinning it with water should be fine to create a broth, it just sounds like you used too much roux to liquid.

Generally you want about 1 tablespoon each fat and flour worth of roux, maybe just a bit more, to thicken 1 cup of liquid. Your liquid can be your demi + water and if it's not flavorful enough just add more demi.

Yeah I definitely used too much roux then. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help everyone...I dont post much here but I always get great ideas from reading what you all post :)

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Hey is Bon Appetit totally insane with this dashi recipe?

Combine two 6"x5" pieces of kombu plus 8 cups water
Let sit 35 min
Bring to boil over medium, immediately remove from heat and discard kombu
add 3 cups bonito flakes, bring to gentle simmer 5 min, take off heat and let steep 15 min. Strain.

The dashi recipe on the bonito package is like... put two strips of kombu in 4 cups of water, bring to a boil, throw in a half cup of bonito flakes, let sit 5 min, strain

They're so wildly different I can't decide if BA is onto an amazing method to make super tasty dashi or if they're just being sperglords about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Split them in two and cook each half in the two ways and compare.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
We were baking chicken in glass cookware and one of the bowls exploded in the oven. Dad didnt want to disrupt the other's cooking so he left all the hot glass in there and just occasionally vented out smoke until it stopped smoking, then waited for the glass to cool to remove it. When he removed it some of the pieces of glass were completely coated in a shiny metallic black coating (made them resemble hematite or obsidian almost) that couldn't be scratched off with a fingernail but when I scraped it off with a steel knife and wiped the powder on my finger it stayed sparkly like glitter instead of being just matte black charcoal.

My question is, what was that black stuff?

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
A potentially ridiculous question follows.

I live in an area of the country where Reubens are served on white bread and people drive through three states to get good pickles. The only time I can ever find lox is at places like Trader Joe's. My husband is from an area of the country where good lox is much more easily procured and he deeply mourns the loss of this resource. I want to order some really, really good stuff as a top secret surprise gift, but I have no idea where to start.

Are there specific brands or companies that are going to be better than others? What does 'nova lox' mean? Is gravlax exactly the same? Is this even a thing you can get by mail order, or would you have to pay a ton to overnight it in a chest of dry ice? Should I also try to source good bagels or rye toasts? I'd hate to get something really lovely and have nothing for him to plunk it on but grocery store bagels and Philadelphia cream cheese.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Sweet Custom Van posted:

I live in an area of the country where Reubens are served on white bread and people drive through three states to get good pickles. The only time I can ever find lox is at places like Trader Joe's. My husband is from an area of the country where good lox is much more easily procured and he deeply mourns the loss of this resource. I want to order some really, really good stuff as a top secret surprise gift, but I have no idea where to start.

Are there specific brands or companies that are going to be better than others? What does 'nova lox' mean? Is gravlax exactly the same? Is this even a thing you can get by mail order, or would you have to pay a ton to overnight it in a chest of dry ice? Should I also try to source good bagels or rye toasts? I'd hate to get something really lovely and have nothing for him to plunk it on but grocery store bagels and Philadelphia cream cheese.

I can help with most of these questions, having a part Jewish family:

Lox is cold smoked salmon.
Nova lox is cold smoked salmon from Nova Scotia, considered to be a step above other lox.
Gravlax is cold-cured salmon (not smoked).

You can get lox (and bagels and real deli cream cheese) shipped to you from places like https://www.foodydirect.com/ (edit to add I've never ordered from there, I just googled ordering lox) but it's not cheap. Good lox is never cheap though. You can make delicious gravlax at home, but it's really no substitute for lox & bagels, if that's what you're after.

Good bagels & cream cheese will not come from your local stores considering the background you've given, so yeah, if you're going to order lox, order the others as well. You'll also be needing sliced tomato, red onion, and capers.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 17, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's a place near me that makes a really good curry, but it's not like the stuff I get at Indian places. It's a yellow curry, and it has squash, zucchini (maybe), and potatoes in it. Does that seem like a familiar type of curry to anyone? It's an English style pub, maybe it's an English bastardization of curry?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably a bastardization of Thai yellow curry

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I pickled some lemons five or six months ago and forgot about them. I just checked the jar and the liquid in it has become very thick, almost like a syrup. I didn't add sugar, it's just lemon and salt. Is this supposed to happen? They don't smell off at all, it just smells lemony. The lemons themselves are totally soft, they fall apart if you squeeze at all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://nourishedkitchen.com/morrocan-preserved-lemons/

If you go down to the comments, somebody mentions that the brine turns syrupy if you leave it a long time. Another person mentions his lime pickle turned almost gelatinous

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 17, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Probably a bastardization of Thai yellow curry

Yep, that seems like it. Thanks.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Sweet Custom Van posted:

It looks like Russ & Daughters delivers throughout the US as well: http://www.russanddaughters.com/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sweet Custom Van posted:

You want Zingerman's. It's based in Michigan, so hopefully closer/cheaper to you than all the New York stuff is. They probably have a big bagel gift box with all the stuff you need. If not, give them a call and I bet they'll work it out with you.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Anne Whateley posted:

You want Zingerman's. It's based in Michigan, so hopefully closer/cheaper to you than all the New York stuff is. They probably have a big bagel gift box with all the stuff you need. If not, give them a call and I bet they'll work it out with you.

I CTRL-F'd all over their website and found neither bagels nor lox of any kind.

Maybe it's in store only?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's super weird, I'm almost positive that stuff was in their paper catalog. Their entire thing is to provide Jewish and imported food to everywhere between the coasts. Like they overnight fresh bread, cold stuff with dry ice, that's their whole deal. Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else with a super similar name??

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

I dont think thats the Zingermans in Ann Arbor youre thinking of? Zingermansdeli.com but i dont see anything about shipping.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

http://nourishedkitchen.com/morrocan-preserved-lemons/

If you go down to the comments, somebody mentions that the brine turns syrupy if you leave it a long time. Another person mentions his lime pickle turned almost gelatinous

Oh neat. Seems like things are okay then. I need to start actually making Moroccan food now I guess.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Does anyone have any low/no sugar cake (or other baked goods) recipes that are actually good? We're doing a 'bake off' challenge in work to raise money for charity and in honour of my husband who got diagnosed with T1 diabetes recently I said I'd have a go at a low or no sugar recipe. I tried baking a no sugar carrot cake yesterday and it basically has zero flavour. I'm wondering if anyone has any tried and tested recipes or any advice on low sugar baking that will help me oomph up the flavour. It doesn't have to be carrot cake.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Robot Mil posted:

Does anyone have any low/no sugar cake (or other baked goods) recipes that are actually good? We're doing a 'bake off' challenge in work to raise money for charity and in honour of my husband who got diagnosed with T1 diabetes recently I said I'd have a go at a low or no sugar recipe. I tried baking a no sugar carrot cake yesterday and it basically has zero flavour. I'm wondering if anyone has any tried and tested recipes or any advice on low sugar baking that will help me oomph up the flavour. It doesn't have to be carrot cake.

Does it have to be sweet? Things like Cheese Scones, maybe? Or a quiche.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 17, 2016

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Does it have to be sweet? Things like Cheese Scones, maybe? Or a quiche.

That... is a very good point that I hadn't even thought of! My brain was equating baking = cakes/sweet things but I suppose it doesn't have to be, although the challenge of finding an actually enjoyable cake that is low sugar (or at least low refined sugar) is still appealing.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Robot Mil posted:

That... is a very good point that I hadn't even thought of! My brain was equating baking = cakes/sweet things but I suppose it doesn't have to be, although the challenge of finding an actually enjoyable cake that is low sugar (or at least low refined sugar) is still appealing.

I've been trying to cut back on my sugar intake as well, so please post it if you come across anything!

Also, with regards to refined sugars, I'm afraid that even more natural sugars like maple syrup, honey and agave syrup are almost just as bad as cane sugar where blood-sugar and insulin levels are concerned.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

I've been trying to cut back on my sugar intake as well, so please post it if you come across anything!

Also, with regards to refined sugars, I'm afraid that even more natural sugars like maple syrup, honey and agave syrup are almost just as bad as cane sugar where blood-sugar and insulin levels are concerned.

Yes that's why I went for a recipe with zero sugar added to the mix - the only sugars would come from the carrots and sultanas. It's just so savoury for a carrot cake! Not entirely unpleasant actually, the texture was really nice but I suppose in a regular recipe the sugar brings out the sweetness and spices. Plus the cream cheese 'frosting' was.... not very pleasant. This is the recipe I used from the beeb:

Ingredients
150g/5œoz self-raising flour
100g/3œoz ground almonds
50g/1Ÿoz raisins
50g/1Ÿoz walnut halves, roughly broken
4 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 large free-range eggs
100ml/3œfl oz sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
300g/10œoz carrots, coarsely grated

For the frosting
150g/5œoz full-fat soft cheese
1 medium orange, finely grated zest only

I am wondering whether adding a little bit of sweetness to the recipe and changing up the topping would help. Things like agave syrup might be less harsh on blood sugar spikes, and some substitutes like xylitol are OK for baking I believe.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the recipe! The cake looks like it could be nice if you were to treat it more like a sort of breakfast bread, maybe with butter... The frosting does sound awful, you're right!

I read somewhere that Maple Syrup can help, since it has a more intensely sweet flavor than normal sugar, so you don't need to use as much of it.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

My mum suggested baking it more as a loaf or even in a shallow tin to allow more room for a topping that could balance it out a bit. Perhaps (and this isn't at all sugar free but you probably wouldn't need lots) a drizzle of a relatively thick glace icing made with orange juice?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bismuth posted:

We were baking chicken in glass cookware and one of the bowls exploded in the oven. Dad didnt want to disrupt the other's cooking so he left all the hot glass in there and just occasionally vented out smoke until it stopped smoking, then waited for the glass to cool to remove it. When he removed it some of the pieces of glass were completely coated in a shiny metallic black coating (made them resemble hematite or obsidian almost) that couldn't be scratched off with a fingernail but when I scraped it off with a steel knife and wiped the powder on my finger it stayed sparkly like glitter instead of being just matte black charcoal.

My question is, what was that black stuff?

This is an interesting question and I wish I had an answer. It might just be magical burnt 'science stuff'.

Also, when something breaks and starts smoking in the oven, I suggest removing it immediately. Then I cool down the oven and clean it! That smoke don't taste good, and I need to inspect the other dishes for broken glass. It sucks. I had to do it this past thanksgiving when my green beans tried to escape. It wont hurt most things (except breads and other delicate baking) to come out of the oven for 20 minutes while you cool and clean it (use plain water in a spray bottle, steam is a wonderful thing), remove the glass, and bring the oven back to temp.

At least, in my experience. I might be totally wrong! Goons, what do you do when something breaks in the oven in the middle of cooking?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 17, 2016

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Robot Mil posted:

My friend had really good luck making tourtiere (french canadian meat pie), quiche, topped focaccia, and baked mac & cheese for a charity bake sale a while ago when everyone else made sweet stuff.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
How long would a simple vinaigrette keep in the fridge?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

At least, in my experience. I might be totally wrong! Goons, what do you do when something breaks in the oven in the middle of cooking?

If a glass bowl exploded in the oven, I'd give up the whole contents of the oven for lost. Broken glass in your food is no joke. No idea what the black stuff could be, maybe tiny glass particles and soot?

HappyHippo posted:

How long would a simple vinaigrette keep in the fridge?

Just Oil and Vinegar? Almost forever I would imagine.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Gerblyn posted:

Just Oil and Vinegar? Almost forever I would imagine.

Right. What if I wanted to get a little fancier and added garlic?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

Right. What if I wanted to get a little fancier and added garlic?

That raises a question that I've wondered about for a while. We're told not to make homemade garlic oil because it's a perfect anærobic environment for botulism and you'll die. What kinds of things are safe to keep in oil? I never wanted to make marinaded mushrooms because of that but someone must have figured out a way to make them not kill you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I dont think thats the Zingermans in Ann Arbor youre thinking of? Zingermansdeli.com but i dont see anything about shipping.

zingermans.com is the mail order site for zingermansdeli.com - they all show up together if you click the "related sites" link at the top. Sadly it looks like they retired their salmon product. You could always call and ask, though.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

hogmartin posted:

That raises a question that I've wondered about for a while. We're told not to make homemade garlic oil because it's a perfect anærobic environment for botulism and you'll die. What kinds of things are safe to keep in oil? I never wanted to make marinaded mushrooms because of that but someone must have figured out a way to make them not kill you.

I would think that garlic vinaigrette would be safe, since the oil and vinegar will eventually separate and the garlic will sink down into the very acidic and botulism-hostile vinegar.

Someone please tell me if I'm lethally wrong though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My experience is that garlic vinaigrette keeps for months.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for an easy way to get rid of soy sauce and was thinking a marinade; any good pork or chicken marinades that use soy sauce heavily?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
p

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking for an easy way to get rid of soy sauce and was thinking a marinade; any good pork or chicken marinades that use soy sauce heavily?

Soy and rice vinegar in equal parts, grated ginger, grated garlic, and sliced green onions is about the easiest marinade there is. Works great on pork or chicken. You can add a little sugar or honey if you don't like the tartness of the vinegar, or any kind of pepper or hot sauce to spice it up.

I like to give a pork loin a good soak in the stuff, then pat it mostly dry cook it low and slow, a couple hours at 250F until it's 140F-150F in the middle, depending on how rare you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is an interesting question and I wish I had an answer. It might just be magical burnt 'science stuff'.

Also, when something breaks and starts smoking in the oven, I suggest removing it immediately. Then I cool down the oven and clean it! That smoke don't taste good, and I need to inspect the other dishes for broken glass. It sucks. I had to do it this past thanksgiving when my green beans tried to escape. It wont hurt most things (except breads and other delicate baking) to come out of the oven for 20 minutes while you cool and clean it (use plain water in a spray bottle, steam is a wonderful thing), remove the glass, and bring the oven back to temp.

It was really odd because it wasnt soot like I expected, it wouldnt rub off on my fingers and was genuinely metallic in luster, but jet black. The smoke was pretty bad but didnt stink and dad kept venting it; the food turned out very good. I'm sure we took a risk eating that chicken but its been a few days and so far no ones got a lacerated intestine yet so we might have made it through ok.

I wasnt sure if I should ask the cooking goons or the chemistry goons, but it was easier to find you guys so I thought I'd give it a chance, thanks!