Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kjetting posted:

That's one of my favorite LP's, but due to some long pauses from the game the thread was archived and had to be restarted twice. I have recommended it several times, but it deserves to be mentioned again.
I like how it seems like a bad game at first, but turns out to be quite original and complex for a FMV game, and way ahead of it's time in game mechanics and writing. In the end you actually end up wishing it had been a hit and impacting future games. In reality it was never actually released.

Indeed, if you can get past the production shortcuts that were imposed on the makers (originally it was supposed to be a much more lavish production, but various acts bailed out on them and there were other problems, too) it's quite a smart and interesting concept.

Jeff Green also made MODE and his previous experiments available for download somewhere in response to the thread - maybe the links will still work if you find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Augh, don't recommend that, I fell asleep more than once on mic during this. :v: It was great fun though and the ensemble makes it a timeless story of PnP nonsense that every should enjoy, even if our idea of roleplay is mostly "okay how can we kill this guy with something big."

I had to kill 20 hours a week sitting at desk doing nothing, so that's a big part of why I liked it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are there any hilarious FFXIII let's plays that I should look at?
Anything for Peace Walker or MGS4?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-XIII-(by-Artix,-Fedule)/

http://www.chipandironicus.com/videos/mgspw/

http://www.chipandironicus.com/videos/mgs4/

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hello, friends!

Are there any cool LPs of Sniper Elite out there?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there any Alien Isolation LP that -

1. Doesn't have facecam and
2. goes in-depth on the AI and mechanics and how to exploit them?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

double nine posted:

Is there any Alien Isolation LP that -

1. Doesn't have facecam and
2. goes in-depth on the AI and mechanics and how to exploit them?
I think this one was supposed to be good and non-facecam related: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707293

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone know of a good Borderlands LP? I've been wanting to get into them, but FPSs aren't really my jam. The only ones I can find are really lovely youtube LPs, and the one on the archive doesn't seem to have the videos linked correctly anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jade Star's usual hosting is lost to the sands of time and Viddler fired the laser beam that erased all its LP's from existence but thankfully the Borderlands LP is backed up on his Youtube channel if you want to watch it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Jade Star's usual hosting is lost to the sands of time and Viddler fired the laser beam that erased all its LP's from existence but thankfully the Borderlands LP is backed up on his Youtube channel if you want to watch it.

thanks, much appreciated!

that said, if anyone else has recommendations, I'd be up for it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I get the feeling that this gets asked a lot, but any good, informative Bloodborne LPs out there, in the style of Squint's classic Demon's Souls one? All I've found are blind LPs which are, frankly, intolerable.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Genocyber is doing a very good one here, but it updates slowly.

Kayvall
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone know of good LPs for either Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin? Been really interested in these games since they released but don't know when I'll have a gaming PC again and I'm tired of waiting to see them. Prefer video over SS and, of course, no face cam.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

It's YouTube, but Aavak did Pillars of Eternity here. I haven't watched it since I don't want the game spoiled until I get around to playing it myself but I generally enjoy Aavak's LPs.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I heavily reccomend Professor Booty's XCOM: Enemy Within: Long War mod thread which delivers again and again.

Though he's well known, I still have to mention my favorite LPer, Bobbin Threadbare. All the Thief games, the Dark Mod, Deus Ex Lectures, Bioshock Infinite Lectures...great way to spend some time.

Also Giant Bomb Premium -- while a $5/mo or $35-50/year service -- is well worth it; everything from the old stuff like the Endurance Run where Vinny & Jeff play Persona 4 for ~45 minutes a weekday... for 155 episodes. Also, Chrono Trigger with a blind Patrick and Ryan, the entire MGS series with Dan & Drew... Kerbal, Until Dawn, Contradiction!, and Life is Strange with Giant Beast -- theres a lot of great stuff there. Many hundreds of hours.

So:
Are there any instructional VLPs for how to play Invisible, Inc. very well? I'd also take informative, skillful LPs of several games gladly:

FTL (i beat it on hard once, but the people who are really good...), RONIN (which I love but frustrates me), Sniper Elite 3 or crazy MGSV stuff, maybe? Open to suggestions? Thinking like AccountingNightmare's DMC stuff, or the Long War thread I linked.

SSLPs burn me out on scrolling and make me want to fall asleep :(

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 19, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kayvall posted:

Anyone know of good LPs for either Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin? Been really interested in these games since they released but don't know when I'll have a gaming PC again and I'm tired of waiting to see them. Prefer video over SS and, of course, no face cam.

I don't think video would suit either of those games very well. Original Sin might be okay-ish for that now that the EE has added full voice-acting. But PoE I believe has no VA and they're both rather slow-paced.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think video would suit either of those games very well. Original Sin might be okay-ish for that now that the EE has added full voice-acting. But PoE I believe has no VA and they're both rather slow-paced.

Pillars has voice acting for the important scenes, but incidental, unvoiced dialogue makes up something like 60-70% of all the text in it.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Jon Do posted:

So:
Are there any instructional VLPs for how to play Invisible, Inc. very well?
I agree with this entire post but this specifically would be great. I am about half way through my first play through and would be interested to see how someone better than me deals with things.

Using Contingency Plan rather than the just 72 hour campaign would also be a bonus.

Also, everyone really should watch the long war LP, its great and watching booty dismantle a game that kicked my rear end let's me vicariously get my vengeance.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Any Bioshock 2 LPs? I've watched the Bioshock 1 in the archive and now I'm ready for the next one!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

Any Bioshock 2 LPs? I've watched the Bioshock 1 in the archive and now I'm ready for the next one!

Brainamp did a SubVLP of 2 Here If you don't have archives The first video is Here.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Major_JF posted:

Brainamp did a SubVLP of 2 Here If you don't have archives The first video is Here.

Thanks!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Did anyone make an LP of the 1998 Battlezone game? I thought it was really good when it came out.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Can someone recommend a good video LP of the original X-Com?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can anyone recommend a decent playthrough of Arkham Knight? So far all I've found is a bunch of people who can't handle people charging at them or tutorials being on screen till you perform said action.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Eifert Posting posted:

Did anyone make an LP of the 1998 Battlezone game? I thought it was really good when it came out.

It was.

There's this thread, which I think ends prematurely before the end of the second campaign.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531298
(Requires Archives)

...And the associated youtube account, if you lack Archives: https://www.youtube.com/user/CplKerberos/videos

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent playthrough of Arkham Knight? So far all I've found is a bunch of people who can't handle people charging at them or tutorials being on screen till you perform said action.

I can't recommend a finished one, but dscruffy1, who did the previous games pretty well, mentioned that he was going to tackle Arkham Knight once NOLF is done. Just keep an eye out for it in the subforum or the New LPs thread, and I'm sure he'll be able to display the game well.

Also, watch NOLF.

No One Lives Forever is a forgotten FPS from 2000 that is kinda hard to find and play even in the Steam age due to it being stuck in licensing hell. The game still looks and sounds pretty good despite its age, and the whole thing is basically a very heartfelt love letter to all the 60's spy thrillers. ALL of them, not just Bond. dscruffy1 does a good job of showing off all the funny quirks and missable dialogue and such that makese the game so great.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...

Hank Morgan posted:

Can someone recommend a good video LP of the original X-Com?

He's not from Something Awful, but Kikoskia over on YouTube has some fine original X-Com LPs. He's darn good at it, too!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone know of a decent playthrough of Legacy of the Void?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I spent a while in december trying to find an LP of LotV and couldn't find a particularly good one, although that might have changed in the past month. I settled on Day9's in the end, but it's kind of the least bad. I think he's generally fairly fun and a cool guy, but he does facecam and not much editing so it might not be your cup of tea - it's definitely personality driven. He's pretty good at the game and he's not an abrasive person but it's not an SA-approved super informative thing or anything so ymmv.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Jesse Cox did a lp of LoTV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDzVFVerl5M

I didn't watch it tho cause i played the game myself, but he's usually okay, doesn't talk over cutscenes, theories a fair bit over the lore (which he is pretty into), dispenses lovely to pretty funny dadjokes and no facecam. He's pretty much that overweight and enthusiastic WoW nerd that you either were or didn't want to talk to at school so YMMW.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Can I get some Roguelike recommendations?

Also, which of the DOZENS of dwarf fortress LPs is the best (preferably recent)? The master list marks most of them as abandoned, but given the nature of the game that's to be expected I suppose.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Psych Eyeball is still working on Binding of Issac if that's your thing. Also Nuclear Throne tournament is still being run by Smite and since that's the best roguelike it's usually pretty fun to watch, even if you don't know the mechanics. If you ask stuff in chat usually people will explain it to you and the announcers help explain stuff when they can.

http://www.twitch.tv/smitetv

https://www.youtube.com/user/itsallup

Usually has tournament streams on the weekends, also plenty of backlog videos of the tournament on his YT

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Powerfrog posted:

Can I get some Roguelike recommendations?

Also, which of the DOZENS of dwarf fortress LPs is the best (preferably recent)? The master list marks most of them as abandoned, but given the nature of the game that's to be expected I suppose.
Maybe you can find something of interest in the previous roguelike megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720568

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Maybe you can find something of interest in the previous roguelike megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720568

Welp. There goes my freetime for the week. Thanks!

Any particular standouts you'd recommend? (I don't know most of the games, which is what I was hoping for.)

Edit: ooh since I'm asking questions, are there any really long roguelike LPs? Something such as a guy making 1 of every playable race etc...

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 25, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Powerfrog posted:

Welp. There goes my freetime for the week. Thanks!

Any particular standouts you'd recommend? (I don't know most of the games, which is what I was hoping for.)

Edit: ooh since I'm asking questions, are there any really long roguelike LPs? Something such as a guy making 1 of every playable race etc...
I quite enjoyed Jade's run of Ironcast, most of the DoomRL runs were good, and the run of Renowned Explorers was pretty fun (albeit the videos were a bit on the long side). Man, Renowned Explorers looks like such a good game for a more thorough LP.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powerfrog posted:

Also, which of the DOZENS of dwarf fortress LPs is the best?

Boatmurdered.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
There was that X-Files game for the PS1 and the revival has me wondering about it (and wondering where my copy went), but does anyone know of a good LP done of that game? I don't remember much from it, but it seemed like it would have been a sight to see.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think Fox (or whoever owns the IP) actually takes down videos of the X-Files games for whatever reason? Or at least I recall a one-off X-File video by the Best Friends getting removed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Any good SA-external Darkest Dungeon runs to recommend? I don't see any going on here in SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any good SA-external Darkest Dungeon runs to recommend? I don't see any going on here in SA.
Well, BaerTaffy is pretty competent at the game and doesn't do facecam poo poo.
On Twitch, BIlly1Kirby is pretty entertaining,even though he does do facecam,he's not obnoxious. Some of the people in his chat are though,be warned.