Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cash crab posted:

:kimchi: Eeee. I like the mental image.

It's s fairly common thing, I think. Babies can pick up sign language way quicker than they can spoken word. My sister did the same with her kid, it was fairly impressive. 'Cake', was a favorite. As was 'horse'.

I was most impressed when I showed her a picture of a dinosaur and she did the 'crocodile' sign. No idea how old she was but she couldn't speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Why is white Jesus covered in bullet holes?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

uh black jesus obviously

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Those are speed holes. They make him ascend faster.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Wanamingo posted:

Telling people they shouldn't shake their babies isn't going to be 100% effective? Better not try at all, I guess.

It's probably just as likely that someone will see it and go 'hey, what a simple and effective way to murder a baby'.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Looks bad, Todd.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

EvilGenius posted:

It's probably just as likely that someone will see it and go 'hey, what a simple and effective way to murder a baby'.

uh, literally anything? Babies are pretty fragile, I don't think anyone has ever failed to murder a baby because they couldn't work out how to kill it

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The shaken baby syndrome videos aren't a big deal, and I don't remember it actually showing any brain dead babies. It's unfortunate that it needs to be shown, but if it prevents even one instance of sbs, it's worth it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Scathach posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat: I would push the TV away and leave. This whole treating parents like they're infants thing is bullshit. lovely parents won't listen to a movie anyway, so it's a useless, insulting tactic and pointless to boot.

I'm like an hour from the border, but I'm also a poor artist. I'd love to change countries if I was able. Our country is losing its poo poo.

How fragile is your ego dude

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

unwantedplatypus posted:

How fragile is your ego dude

I am not sure that as a brand-new parent, I would particularly want to see home movies of brain-damaged babies.

Heck, as a fat slob, sitting in front of the internet all day, I am not keen to see them. Who is?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

spog posted:

I am not sure that as a brand-new parent, I would particularly want to see home movies of brain-damaged babies.

Heck, as a fat slob, sitting in front of the internet all day, I am not keen to see them. Who is?
There were no brain dead babies in the video shown to me. Someone was being hyperbolic.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

"Well they're doing this thing that might help save the lives of infants but it weirds me out so it's dumb and bad."

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

spog posted:

Skip to the 2 minute mark to hear about the hospital telling you repeatedly to not shake the baby.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZvJ8Jqvs94

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Garrand posted:

"Well they're doing this thing that might help save the lives of infants but it weirds me out so it's dumb and bad."

The kind of people who'd shake a baby unless they're told it's a bad thing probably shouldn't be having kids anyway.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Slime posted:

The kind of people who'd shake a baby unless they're told it's a bad thing probably shouldn't be having kids anyway.

Most of the time it's parents who are at the end of their tether and just snap. It's rarely "gosh, I should shake the baby, that sounds like fun!". Making sure families have support in place and are aware of the dangers would be more effective.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Bonster posted:

Most of the time it's parents who are at the end of their tether and just snap. It's rarely "gosh, I should shake the baby, that sounds like fun!". Making sure families have support in place and are aware of the dangers would be more effective.

Hmmmm sounds communist.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Scathach posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat: I would push the TV away and leave. This whole treating parents like they're infants thing is bullshit. lovely parents won't listen to a movie anyway, so it's a useless, insulting tactic and pointless to boot.

I'm like an hour from the border, but I'm also a poor artist. I'd love to change countries if I was able. Our country is losing its poo poo.

Maybe your country is just ashamed at its relatively high infant mortality rate compared to other Western nations and is trying to do something to fix it?

Having universal health care for all like the other countries would be a better step but, you know, helping poor people is unethical or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's not so much unethical but there's lots more poor people than rich ones so most of the care would go to the poor people who contribute the least financially. So the ones who give the most get the least back so it's in their interest that such a system doesn't exist.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

there are a lot of less-educated people who probably didn't know that shaking babies is a really terrible idea, sorry the hospital tried to help people gain awareness of things

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Guess what? I found my own Facebook rear end in a top hat! I don't even know how I know this guy, but today he dropped this here pearl of wisdom:

"they should bring back the squads from the fascist times, racism indeed!"*

The video shows a conductor having an animated discussion with a black guy, presumably just after asking him for his ticket, wherein the passebger tells him to leave him alone and accuses him of being racist, at which point the conductor freaks out. He's certainly in the wrong but this fucker has no idea what he's asking for.

*This sounds vaguely old time-y in English but I don't know how to translate the Italian expression better than this.

e: the page this was shared from is even worse, full of people declaring that if sticking by the rules means being racist they're racist (as if we're short on abusive train hoppers here in Italy), that clandestines are explained their rights but not their duties and without the latter they should not have the former, that these "monkey need to be integrated with a shovel in the teeth". God.

paradoxGentleman has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jan 18, 2016

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
That one friend who has to make every political thing a team sport

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Buzkashi posted:

God drat, these should be in the dictionary next to "moving the goal posts".

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
My right wing uncle is on a roll.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Buzkashi posted:

You can tell Frank here that I know Twons Popeple from Flint and they blame both Rick Snyder as well as his appointed emergency representative and the attitude of the republican party as a whole. I wake up every morning thankful that I no longer live in Michigan.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I love how people think it's totally acceptable to refer to the POTUS as "it." :ughh:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

OptimusShr posted:

My right wing uncle is on a roll.

Man, your uncle is hosed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Karma Monkey posted:

I love how people think it's totally acceptable to refer to the POTUS as "it." :ughh:

Presumably the very same people who screamed "SHUT UP AND SING" at the top of their lungs more than a decade ago because it was absolute treason to trash the president even if you didn't agree with him.

Funny thing, that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

TotalLossBrain posted:

Presumably the very same people who screamed "SHUT UP AND SING" at the top of their lungs more than a decade ago because it was absolute treason to trash the president even if you didn't agree with him.

Funny thing, that.

And should a republican be elected as president, they'll go right back to "You can't speak ill of the president! Anyone who does is a traitor!"

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Bonster posted:

Yeah I talk to all new parents about safe parenting and what to do if you're going bonkers and your kid won't stop crying (put baby in a crib or other safe place, leave the room). But I also visit new parents at home in the first week so I have lots of opportunity to gauge how things are going; maybe if people left the hospital and were lost to follow-up until six weeks I'd be worried enough to show them scary videos?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

C'mon, you can't even get the Preamble right? It's "We the people of the United States, in order to form..."

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

The Oregon terrorist group is now very upset people are sending them dildos and bags of dicks instead of food. It's beautiful.

http://deadstate.org/oregon-militia-leader-is-really-sad-please-stop-sending-us-your-hate-mail/

Picnic Princess posted:

Maybe your country is just ashamed at its relatively high infant mortality rate compared to other Western nations and is trying to do something to fix it?

Having universal health care for all like the other countries would be a better step but, you know, helping poor people is unethical or something.

True, although supposedly it has more to do with lovely hospital practice than parenting. And yeah, I'm pretty sure our healthcare is the worst out of most first-world countries.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Jan 19, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Scathach posted:

The Oregon terrorist group is now very upset people are sending them dildos and bags of dicks instead of food. It's beautiful.

http://deadstate.org/oregon-militia-leader-is-really-sad-please-stop-sending-us-your-hate-mail/

Let’s see GOVERNMENT spends 60 to 75 thousand a day to do what it wants not what its suppose to. You were in charge u mismanaged made a crisis where there WAS NOT ONE I love this WHERE THERE WERE armed white people to guard a protect you. Only reason you did this hoping for a reimbursement from guess who the federolies. U r your own worst enemy REPENT SAVE YOURSELVES GOD IS WATCHING. Over reacting crying wolf. GOD punishes sin.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Bureau of Indian Affairs building takeover occurred from November 3 to November 9, 1972. On November 3, a group of around 500 American Indians with the American Indian Movement (AIM) took over the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) building in Washington, D.C., the culmination of their participation in the Trail of Broken Treaties, intended to bring attention to American Indian issues such as living standards and treaty rights. They had arrived at the BIA to negotiate for better housing and other issues; the siege began when a government mistake was interpreted as a doublecross. The incensed protesters then began to vandalize the building in protest. They were not evicted on the first night. The takover quickly gained national media attention. The demonstrators upturned large tables and desks against the windows of the building. Documents were destroyed by setting fires, literally, in the middle offices and lobbies of the building. The demonstrators started to run out of provisions after several days. They would not allow police or any government representative to approach the building, so two children of BIA employees were recruited to bring in provisions. After a week, the protesters left, having caused $700,000 in damages. Among the damage caused was loss, destruction, and theft of many records, including treaties, deeds, and water rights records, which some Indian officials said could set them back 50 to 100 years. How can you interpret anything different from what is taking place here. It’s a protest because the government is playing dirty pool in trying to confiscate private land by using the BLM a private corporation to do their dirty work as to force the ranchers off their land in order to obtain the natural material needed to support the Military Industrial Complex.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The ignorance displayed here, just in the basic understanding of constitutional rights, is beyond reproach. The sheer stupidity and narrow minded approach of ridiculing and spreading discourse for people standing up for our rights is….do you realize the idiotic remarks and hateful comments ARE one of your constitutional rights you are using to voice that opinion…they are defending that as well…for you. That way, when you post these ignorant statements, your front door isn’t being kicked in, your dog being shot, and thrown into jail or the legal system making life extremely unpleasant….just for speaking your opinion.
Besides, based purely on the volcabulary and types of ignorance displayed…no one shaves or has hair on their balls yet. Just full of piss and vinegar.
Maybe you all should go hang out in a gun free zone for awhile and let us know how that works out for ya…

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Garrand posted:

IMO, I just think a presentation or an in-depth conversation would be just as effective, or maybe stress reduction techniques. As someone else mentioned, people are probably shaking their babies because they're exhausted or upset, not because they think baby shaking is a great idea.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The ignorance displayed here, just in the basic understanding of constitutional rights, is beyond reproach. The sheer stupidity and narrow minded approach of ridiculing and spreading discourse for people standing up for our rights is….do you realize the idiotic remarks and hateful comments ARE one of your constitutional rights you are using to voice that opinion…they are defending that as well…for you. That way, when you post these ignorant statements, your front door isn’t being kicked in, your dog being shot, and thrown into jail or the legal system making life extremely unpleasant….just for speaking your opinion.
Besides, based purely on the volcabulary and types of ignorance displayed…no one shaves or has hair on their balls yet. Just full of piss and vinegar.
Maybe you all should go hang out in a gun free zone for awhile and let us know how that works out for ya…

Do these people not work in gun free zones ever?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I doubt most of the dudes in the Oregon fiasco went to college.

Re: shaken babies-- most of the time it's either a jealous male partner (estimated 75-90%) or a caregiver that's not the mom. So making a new mom watch a stressful video with dead babies probably isn't the best way to help her start parenthood.

Not that I'm any kind of baby expert. I still think they're just all tiny drunks.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Jan 19, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa posted:

They probably have no concept of what a "gun free zone" actually is and just assume that it's wherever liberals hang out.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Fatkraken posted:

uh, literally anything? Babies are pretty fragile, I don't think anyone has ever failed to murder a baby because they couldn't work out how to kill it

There's a whole book series based on a guy failing to kill a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
INFANTUS CONCUTIO