Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

* Do it if you have the time and mental ability to spend an entire 6 hour night once a week to do a thing but don't have the time to play any other times throughout the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
So I found this thing http://infolimpet.tk/conflicts/527 that says there is an Empire Cap ship in this high intensity conflict zone. Are combat bonds good for building rep? I can't remember if I've done them before.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I can't really invest some heavy time into Elite until tomorrow or the day after but I thought I might get some quick rounds of CQC in as if it were rocket league or something similar but nope. Even when I manage to find a game after 10 minutes of searching the game mode itself feels exceedingly poorly thought out, and even if I manage to slog through the exceedingly poorly thought out game mode the credits I get are a pittance and the experience towards my next rank disgustingly tiny.

Has anyone actually managed to attain an Elite ranking in CQC? If so that person's probably terrifying.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Yeah CQC is total poo poo.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Target Practice posted:

Man I'm at Tamar and there is nothing like that sweet sweet Tun charity train for Empire. Gonna try Liabeze next I guess.

Does not exist anywhere to my knowledge sadly.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So I was running the 3Frag 1fixed Beam/Burst FAS in a Hazres for 15 minutes and made an easy million, this ship handles as well as everyone says and I love it.

The joke is that when I got back to the station I realized that I had been using Class 5 Thrusters instead of Class 6 :frogdowns:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Akion posted:

So I am doing Robigo runs to turn my Python into a murder machine. Just finished one, will probably do one more and should have the money.

Planning to run 2 C3 beams in the top slots and a C3 cannon in the bottom. Would I be better with some different loadout? I don't like loving with fixed weapons so this seems decent.

I run 3x C3 pulses and 2x C2 frags, all gimballed. The pulses can fire forever with four dots to WEP, and the frags just eat hull in close proximity.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

Has anyone actually managed to attain an Elite ranking in CQC? If so that person's probably terrifying.
I am semi-pro. The real difficulty is waiting endlessly for a match if you ask me, don't do CQC if you aren't reading a book because you will get bored waiting to actually play. Elite is around prestige 7-8 (that 7 times level 50). I am level 30.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 18, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Target Practice posted:

Man I'm at Tamar and there is nothing like that sweet sweet Tun charity train for Empire. Gonna try Liabeze next I guess.
I flew out to Tun tonight because everyone made it sound like a sure thing, but after a couple of charity donations, all that's left are deliveries and assassinations. I guess it requires a hell of a lot of mission board scumming.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I flew out to Tun tonight because everyone made it sound like a sure thing, but after a couple of charity donations, all that's left are deliveries and assassinations. I guess it requires a hell of a lot of mission board scumming.

Yep, it does.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I tried out CQC a while ago with a few other goons semi-recently. The gameplay is decent because flying is fun in Elite but the instancing/networking issues turn it into complete and utter poo poo.

We had several matches where only one of us could even see certain people on the other team. My teammates would be flying around shooting at (on my screen) nothing - it was ridiculous.

We also had a couple of matches where it quickly became apparent that the entire enemy team could only see one person on our team, who then died over and over.

I'm honestly just really out of love with Elite at the moment.

I played hardcore for about two weeks when I got the game and ground up 800m credits, rank 14 Imperial and rank 12 Federation, but weirdly I don't even feel burnt out; it's just kind of a 'bleh' feeling.

Just flying around is fun, but not enough to carry it for me. I think if there were a way to reliably PvP people that would increase my enjoyment enormously.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

I played hardcore for about two weeks when I got the game and ground up 800m credits, rank 14 Imperial and rank 12 Federation, but weirdly I don't even feel burnt out; it's just kind of a 'bleh' feeling.

:stare: That's some serious poopsocking, holy poo poo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

:stare: That's some serious poopsocking, holy poo poo

:stare: Yeah, after that kind of senseless grinding your life away I can sort of understanding not wanting to play anymore. Holy poo poo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Jesus loving christ dude. I just got to about 2M and am already feeling the dearth of content, that's some dedication on your part.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

It was a lot of playtime yeah but actually wasn't too bad. I did regular Robigo runs to get Tycoon trade rank and unlock more smuggling ascension missions then stacked those to rank with Imp/Fed.

Imp was very easy (I actually way overstacked and wasted 12-16 hours unnecessary grinding) but Federation was a huge pain in the rear end and although I was intending to get rank 14 I gave up at 12 + 79%.

After that it was just more Robigo for credits. Post patch it became even easier with the shadow cargo missions and a kill process hotkey to dodge scans, working out to ~20m/hr, though I missed out on the take mission>sell cargo exploit which sucks.

Like I said though I feel more bummed out than burned out. There just isn't much to do. Which to be fair goons were telling me the whole time but yeah :shobon:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 18, 2016

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I wish I had a trader ship so I could do Robigo runs again. Clipper is probably not the ship for the job since it's a Large right?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I wish I had a trader ship so I could do Robigo runs again. Clipper is probably not the ship for the job since it's a Large right?

Robigo is an outpost so the biggest thing you can land on it is a Python but after trying both I'm confident in saying that the Asp is better.

Python runs will take 4+ hours and the cr/hr can actually end up lower because you spend so long filling up.

I run an 80T Asp (fuel tanks) and it seems basically optimal to me.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Jack the Lad posted:

Robigo is an outpost so the biggest thing you can land on it is a Python but after trying both I'm confident in saying that the Asp is better.

Python runs will take 4+ hours and the cr/hr can actually end up lower because you spend so long filling up.

I run an 80T Asp (fuel tanks) and it seems basically optimal to me.

RIght, I forgot Roby was an outpost. For some reason I thought it was a real station.

I'll see if I can't fudge an Asp, thanks. Can you link your build please?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jack the Lad posted:

I tried out CQC a while ago with a few other goons semi-recently. The gameplay is decent because flying is fun in Elite but the instancing/networking issues turn it into complete and utter poo poo.

We had several matches where only one of us could even see certain people on the other team. My teammates would be flying around shooting at (on my screen) nothing - it was ridiculous.

We also had a couple of matches where it quickly became apparent that the entire enemy team could only see one person on our team, who then died over and over.

I'm honestly just really out of love with Elite at the moment.

Just flying around is fun, but not enough to carry it for me. I think if there were a way to reliably PvP people that would increase my enjoyment enormously.
Can I have your money

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

RIght, I forgot Roby was an outpost. For some reason I thought it was a real station.

My smuggling asp: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05A5A5A4D4A5D5C------0000040405390240f3f22f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=the%20running%20dutchman

Decided to outfit an extra fuel tank because having one extra jump compensates more for me than having a small gain in overall range. 4 pips in ENG, 2 pips in SYS, press tab like a motherfucker when interdictions happen and chaff if you got a particularly nasty ship on your tails.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Jack the Lad posted:

It was a lot of playtime yeah but actually wasn't too bad. I did regular Robigo runs to get Tycoon trade rank and unlock more smuggling ascension missions then stacked those to rank with Imp/Fed.

Imp was very easy (I actually way overstacked and wasted 12-16 hours unnecessary grinding) but Federation was a huge pain in the rear end and although I was intending to get rank 14 I gave up at 12 + 79%.

After that it was just more Robigo for credits. Post patch it became even easier with the shadow cargo missions and a kill process hotkey to dodge scans, working out to ~20m/hr, though I missed out on the take mission>sell cargo exploit which sucks.

Like I said though I feel more bummed out than burned out. There just isn't much to do. Which to be fair goons were telling me the whole time but yeah :shobon:

What did you do to get Imp ranks?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I did my second Robigo run today. Used my 30m from the first run in my Python to kit out an Asp. I got lucky and got 6 $4mil missions to one station. Is it generally considered a good idea to shoot for a single destination or just grab whatever pops up? I'd been mostly doing Outposts/Planetary destinations to avoid the Space Cops but I'm comfortable enough with the asp now that I can just boost through the mail slot. I also learned that you can crash and burn on a shadow delivery mission and not fail.

I learned this when my docking computer smashed me into a moon. :v:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

This is my Asp and it only costs 18.4m without discounts. The tanks let it make the run to/from Robigo without stopping to scoop, so the scoop is just a backup and I've never needed it.

Cowcaster posted:

Can I have your money

The fact that there's no easy way to give money is another baffling thing about this game, but I think I'm hanging onto mine anyway. I bought Horizons and I think once multicrew etc are in I'll wanna play again.

mpyro posted:

What did you do to get Imp ranks?

You can't do it anymore but there was a system with two stations (Maya?) that each spawned smuggling ascension missions with only one possible destination: the other station. So you could at any point when you had a rank-up available go to one of them, reload the mission board until you had 100 of the smuggling ascensions, deliver them all to the other station, and overshoot the rank progress by enough to qualify for the next rank-up, which meant you could stack another 100 ascensions. Rinse and repeat.

Akion posted:

Is it generally considered a good idea to shoot for a single destination or just grab whatever pops up?

Time spent stacking missions can really reduce your cr/hr as well as being mind-numbingly boring. I'd recommend grabbing more or less whatever pops up. When I'm stacking missions my main consideration is credits per ton of cargo - I aim for at least 40m per run which with 80T of cargo means 500k per ton.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 18, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

A question about pilot ranks: I have master in combat and broker in trading, which means I am 7/10 iirc.

My rank progress bars barely move though, even if I spend all my time either shooting ships for kills (in HazRES usually so master+ mostly) or shooting rocks for money.

Is there any trick to leveling up quicker? Do missions like find painite, or kill pirates give you extra points or not? It feels I will never get to upper ranks, I have been like 60% towards the next combat rank since forever..

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Akion posted:

So I did my second Robigo run today. Used my 30m from the first run in my Python to kit out an Asp. I got lucky and got 6 $4mil missions to one station. Is it generally considered a good idea to shoot for a single destination or just grab whatever pops up? I'd been mostly doing Outposts/Planetary destinations to avoid the Space Cops but I'm comfortable enough with the asp now that I can just boost through the mail slot. I also learned that you can crash and burn on a shadow delivery mission and not fail.

I learned this when my docking computer smashed me into a moon. :v:

I have an Asp with 64T of cargo and I usually sit there and reload the mission board until I have a hold full of missions that pay 3M+ each. I don't look at destination at all(except for the occasional 200k ls station- I'll pass on that). Some people say you should take any mission that gives more than 500k per ton, but personally I really hate spending hours flying to every little station to drop off a single ton of cargo. I find that ~10 missions will usually net me 30mil and take about 2 hours round-trip to complete.

TorakFade posted:

Is there any trick to leveling up quicker? Do missions like find painite, or kill pirates give you extra points or not? It feels I will never get to upper ranks, I have been like 60% towards the next combat rank since forever..

The pilot ranks have insane requirements for elite status. Like, elite trader is over 1B credits earned, and elite explorer is something like 161M. Combat is something ridiculous, I don't know, but you can actually earn more points towards the rank if you shoot ships of equal or higher rank to yourself.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Explorer
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Trader
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Combat

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm at best like the first rank up on Trader, as I spend all my time shooting stuff. Can I just jump in an do a decently profitable Robigo run if I get bored of shooting or do I need to rank up a bit first?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm at best like the first rank up on Trader, as I spend all my time shooting stuff. Can I just jump in an do a decently profitable Robigo run if I get bored of shooting or do I need to rank up a bit first?

I did, but you can be sure you'll be spending a lot of time refreshing the board for the missions you want that you can actually take (shadow deliveries). Make sure you create your own private group (ok if it's just you in it, still counts) and ask goons in discord to add you to theirs as well. You need to be friends, but having 4-5 of them means less likelihood of having to wait out the refresh timer on the board.

Also, don't worry if it doesn't look like the board refreshed when switching. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but usually that only means you got put back into the same instance you just left. Just try again.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm new to this game. How the heck do I find a kill mission target? I go to that system, but it isn't clear what I'm supposed to do next.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DeadGame posted:

I'm new to this game. How the heck do I find a kill mission target? I go to that system, but it isn't clear what I'm supposed to do next.

Hang out in supercruise and eventually you will spot them flying around. If you have an interdictor, then yank them and kill them. If you don't have one, then target and follow them around. Eventually they will drop out of supercruise and you can drop at the wake they leave behind, as if you were approaching a station or outpost. You'll end up in the same area as them and can kill them.

Assassination missions often involve killing powerful ships like Anacondas, or a weaker ship supported by a wing, so be ready for a potentially tough fight.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Thanks, Shine. I'll give it a shot.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
this bounty cg sucks frontier

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DeadGame posted:

Thanks, Shine. I'll give it a shot.

Also, I've found targets in "unidentified signal sources", which are generally where mission targets like cargo can be found. Not sure if there's a strict rule about what mission type targets can or cannot be found in USS, unless it's that any can be.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish you could tell these alternate deal offering morons to gently caress off. I got interdicted by the fuzz while smuggling, so I do what any smuggler does, full throttle and boost the hell out of there and hope for the best. Of course, since I was getting an offer from those worthless loving NPCs, it spawns in where I was, ahead of me, and I immediately crash into it, destroying them. On top of that I got scanned anyway, so mission failed and a 6k bounty for my trouble.

Hey guys, instead of turning in those smuggled goods for 4-8 millions, how about giving them to my employer for 11k?! I'm Frontier and think this is good and balanced.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Transmetropolitan posted:

My smuggling asp: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05A5A5A4D4A5D5C------0000040405390240f3f22f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=the%20running%20dutchman

Decided to outfit an extra fuel tank because having one extra jump compensates more for me than having a small gain in overall range. 4 pips in ENG, 2 pips in SYS, press tab like a motherfucker when interdictions happen and chaff if you got a particularly nasty ship on your tails.

What is tab bound to by default?

I have a bunch of custom keybinds so I doubt mine is still the same.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Annath posted:

What is tab bound to by default?

I have a bunch of custom keybinds so I doubt mine is still the same.
Boost. And also switch chat inputs when you have the chat window selected :downs:

Clearly not ever going to be a case where someone accidentally boosts when trying to change between local and direct chat. Definitely not.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 19, 2016

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Losing one hour of bounty hunting and 200.000 bounty credits just because you targeted the wrong viper in a low res, did have no chaff because I just thought that going to another system to refill it was too much of a hassle, since this low res is 3000ls out from the star, such is bullshit the life of a bounty hunter.
:ughh:

(By the way, I need to give you some excuses, apparently last time I missed out on what consists in FA ON and FA OFF, and always thought I was with FA OFF at any given time, it wasn't true)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I finally decided to put my Cobra III out to pasture and plough the money into finalising my Vulture.

Holy poo poo, I'm having too much fun with it. I used to earn maybe 300k/400k on a res extraction site, now it's 2mil+ in half an hour. I've also learned alot about subsystems targeting (target the powercore every day), and have rebound my X52 so that I can fire heatsinks and chaffs without needing them in a firegroup.

Not sure what I'm saving towards, I haven't thought that far ahead, but I'm sitting at 12mil right now.

I'd probably have more, however my game seems to enjoy crashing when tangling with Anacondas. Seriously, every single hardlock my client has had, is due to being at knife-fight ranges with a 'Conda. I've not been keeping count, but I'd reckon I'm beyond 15 crashes so far, which is annoying because they're nothing more than credits piņatas to me now.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i haven't touched this thing in six months. are multicannons still the best dps?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Am I being crazy here when I say the federal gunship is a trash ship? The Federal Assault Ship is not only cheaper, but seems to be better as a fighter, and a ship in every possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Am I being crazy here when I say the federal gunship is a trash ship? The Federal Assault Ship is not only cheaper, but seems to be better as a fighter, and a ship in every possible way.
Nah most people seem to hold that opinion, though I personally enjoy the hell out of it. Kinda weird how hugely expensive it is though.

• Locked thread