Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, not sure why I have PTL on there, but for some reason I didn't think of Stay on Target......I have no idea how to handle B-Wings....

Keyan Farlander likes stress and he likes cannons (because what are you gonna do with a guy who likes stress, use torpedoes?). The B-Wing's dial is kind of limited so it's best in his case to think of him less as a ship and more a very angry, slightly mobile gun platform that spins in place and throws fistfuls of red dice at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

Keyan Farlander likes stress and he likes cannons (because what are you gonna do with a guy who likes stress, use torpedoes?). The B-Wing's dial is kind of limited so it's best in his case to think of him less as a ship and more a very angry, slightly mobile gun platform that spins in place and throws fistfuls of red dice at people.

Well, he could take and FCS or Advanced Sensors with APT and Stay On Target, and end up pretty much able to end up in range 1 of just about anybody he wants to with a TL and a stress he can spend as a focus.

I also like the idea of giving Keyan Opportunist and bringing Wes and Jan along with to strip tokens and pump attacks even higher. I'll see your four dice at any range, and raise you five at range 3 and six at range 1.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is Ezra Bridger a good choice for backseat driver in the Farlandermobile when he drops, or is Katarn still Better Than Ezra?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Couple repaints, done in between Imperial Assault minis

Kath Scarlet

Lt. Blount

The Virago

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A Kath Scarlet repaint is like the one thing that makes me want to actually try learning how to paint well, I love that scheme.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Those are nice. I really want a Black One repaint, but the near inevitability of the Aces release with it is staying my hand. It's very much the most popular repaint on the FB modding/painting group.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
If a ship gets hit by a Proton Bomb or Adv. Homing Missiles and draws a card that has an additional damaging effect while it still has shields does the extra damage from the card get assigned to the shields or the hull? The damage cards (besides Direct Hit!) all say "suffers" damage which would normally mean it hits the shields first. That doesn't really make any sense logically but is it how you should play it according to the rules?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ghetto wormhole posted:

If a ship gets hit by a Proton Bomb or Adv. Homing Missiles and draws a card that has an additional damaging effect while it still has shields does the extra damage from the card get assigned to the shields or the hull? The damage cards (besides Direct Hit!) all say "suffers" damage which would normally mean it hits the shields first. That doesn't really make any sense logically but is it how you should play it according to the rules?

An effect that "deals X damage card(s)" ignores shields and does exactly that. A proton bomb that dealt a "Direct Hit" result would count as two damage against the ship's hull, regardless of remaining shields. Sorry Whisper/Corran.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Otisburg posted:

An effect that "deals X damage card(s)" ignores shields.

He means that if you flip up a Major Explosion do you deal the point of damage to the shields or to the hull. The card text is "suffer 1 critical damage".

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Otisburg posted:

An effect that "deals X damage card(s)" ignores shields. A proton bomb that dealt a "Direct Hit" result would count as two damage against the ships hull, regardless of remaining shields. Sorry Whisper/Corran.

Yeah I understand that, but what happens when the actual damage cards themselves do more damage? What happens with that damage.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yeah I understand that, but what happens when the actual damage cards themselves do more damage? What happens with that damage.

Reading comprehension is hard, sorry. The way Major Explosion is worded, shields would soak it, I would think. You're dealt the damage card, but the damage would be applied normally from the effect of the card since it doesn't say otherwise.

E: And yeah it doesn't make sense from a "fluff" perspective that something pierces the shields and then a secondary explosion from that is somehow mitigated by shields, but trying to do rulings by verisimilitudinousness is a deep and scary rabbit hole.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 18, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Honestly it's probably just an oversight. If they changed Console Fire and Major Explosion to deals a damage card and left Stunned Pilot as is it'd make the most sense. Not really a big deal though.

I'm just sad that it wasn't actually legitimate when I one shot Poe from full hull and shields in that game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I found out that Josh, one of my wang buds, is heading to Alaska for a good chunk of this year doing what I assume to be pipeline work which means that my local pool of opponents has been reduced by 33%. In March there's going to be a tournament down in Vancouver and I'm gonna try to carpool down there with my other two regulars both of whom have expressed an interest in competing at and watching a tournament respectively. Probably gonna bring Wes, Wedge, and Dutch though by that time Wave 8 should be out so it's going to be interesting seeing how that all shakes out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My goal is to one day do my Firespray and Scum Zs as Kath and her Binayre Pirates.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My meta is being loving decimated by Poe + Fun Police. The addition of Red Ace certainly hasn't helped. Any suggestions for builds which are good against them?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just played a game using proxied guidance chips, tractor beams and TIE/D.

Holy poo poo the Defender is a monster. My favorite turn was throwing a BTL stressbot y-wing onto an asteroid before imploding it.

The Punisher with guidance chips is a pretty rough customer as well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

Is Ezra Bridger a good choice for backseat driver in the Farlandermobile when he drops, or is Katarn still Better Than Ezra?

I don't think either are ideal because Farlander is going to always spend his stress on every attack, hopefully eliminating the bonus from Ezra. Katarn is a very minor defensive benefit here. I'm not sure you really need a crew on Keyan, but if you really want one, go for C-3P0.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I don't think either are ideal because Farlander is going to always spend his stress on every attack, hopefully eliminating the bonus from Ezra. Katarn is a very minor defensive benefit here. I'm not sure you really need a crew on Keyan, but if you really want one, go for C-3P0.

Surely you can trigger Ezra before triggering Farlander's text, basically giving you a sort of passive Marksmanship?

C-3P0 does seem pretty solid though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

Surely you can trigger Ezra before triggering Farlander's text, basically giving you a sort of passive Marksmanship?

C-3P0 does seem pretty solid though.

Yeah, but i'm not sure tacking more points onto Keyan is really a good idea. Watching people roll in with 50 point Keyans just makes me giddy with excitement because he's easy to burn down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Fat Farlander" does have the alliteration going for it though.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I've changed my list for the 60 point tournament tomorrow. I think it's a little bit obvious but I also think it is pretty solid.

Whoever you don't focus on can go to town while the other one turtles up.

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Targeting Computer (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Total: 60

e: I'll probably deploy them on either side of the board and let my opponent chase whomever they want to.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KongGeorgeVII posted:

e: I'll probably deploy them on either side of the board and let my opponent chase whomever they want to.

Much like spinning, I find this is often a good simple trick, and I often find myself putting some tasty morsel on a far side to bait them into tacking hard in one direction. It feels like if you fly right whichever one they go for is the "wrong" one. If all else fails you can break off and turn hard into the other ace right out of your deployment zone, forcing them to give chase. If they did a mini-swarm you can maybe break it up.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Geisladisk posted:

My meta is being loving decimated by Poe + Fun Police. The addition of Red Ace certainly hasn't helped. Any suggestions for builds which are good against them?
Borrow some Crack from your friends.
Omega Squadron w/ Crack Shot x3
Black Squadron w/ Crack Shot x3
Plus you can sub in Howlrunner w/ Crack Shot or Zeta Ace w/ Crack Shot for one of the Omegas if you like.

Block Poe with a TIE, nuke him with Crack.
Red Ace is great against a single attack per turn. Multiple ships hitting it will take it down just as fast as a regular X-Wing.
Swarm is the natural enemy of the StressHog. Even if you only have a single PS4 TIE vs a PS2 BTL Y-Wing at endgame, I like your odds of winning that fight.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Otisburg posted:

Much like spinning, I find this is often a good simple trick, and I often find myself putting some tasty morsel on a far side to bait them into tacking hard in one direction. It feels like if you fly right whichever one they go for is the "wrong" one. If all else fails you can break off and turn hard into the other ace right out of your deployment zone, forcing them to give chase. If they did a mini-swarm you can maybe break it up.

Yup, I figure the obvious target is Omega Leader which should let Soontir's targeting computer do some good work.

At 60 points there aren't likely to be too many ships in the board so Omega can lock onto the biggest threat and then focus evade for defence every turn after that.

Both ships are fast and agile enough to cause problems whoever they choose to target.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Geisladisk posted:

For Poe: Don't engage at range 3 if possible. His ability and autothrusters will negate a ridiculous amount of damage. I think mathwise it's all but guaranteed to negate 2 damage an attack. If you must engage at range 3, you want as many ships with 3 dice attacking as possible.

For Red Ace: just shoot him with more than one ship per turn.

For Stresshogs: These are only dangerous on the first pass, and only to aces. It's weak to swarms, ships that DGAF to stress, and arc dodging. If you're running an ace-heavy list, split up and make it commit to one or the other.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, I realize Fat Dash lists are kind of a solved problem at this point, but in looking ahead at Store Champ tournaments coming up in the next couple months and knowing my own playstyle, Fat Dash + Rebel Ace is probably what I'm going to do best with.

But I'm not sure what ace to put with him, right now. My current list is regen Poe, but I'm actually thinking I should pick up an E-wing and get Corran Horn. OTOH, Stressbot seems like a prominent local meta, so based on what you guys have been saying I'm starting to lean towards something more tolerant of stress.

When is the Ghost going to come out, because I'd switch to that in a heartbeat.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

So, I realize Fat Dash lists are kind of a solved problem at this point, but in looking ahead at Store Champ tournaments coming up in the next couple months and knowing my own playstyle, Fat Dash + Rebel Ace is probably what I'm going to do best with.

But I'm not sure what ace to put with him, right now. My current list is regen Poe, but I'm actually thinking I should pick up an E-wing and get Corran Horn. OTOH, Stressbot seems like a prominent local meta, so based on what you guys have been saying I'm starting to lean towards something more tolerant of stress.

When is the Ghost going to come out, because I'd switch to that in a heartbeat.

Super Dash shouldn't have much trouble staying out of the stresshog's arc, and Corran can outrun it.

Paul Heaver himself stopped over in reddit to talk about counters to his Regen Poe + Stresshog + <stuff> list, and he said Corran/Dash was probably the best counter.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

Super Dash shouldn't have much trouble staying out of the stresshog's arc, and Corran can outrun it.

Paul Heaver himself stopped over in reddit to talk about counters to his Regen Poe + Stresshog + <stuff> list, and he said Corran/Dash was probably the best counter.

Excellent. :getin:

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I picked up the TFA starter as a gift for a friend yesterday and we played through it for a few hours. It has rekindled my desire to Xwang.

I haven't purchased any tiny spaceships in a while. I have the original starter set with extra TIEs, INTS, an ADV a Skipray, on the rebel side X-wings, Y-wings, A-wings, B-wings, and a YT-1300.

What are some must have purchases? Was thinking about grabbing the TFA starter box as a first step. The new T-70 seems pretty badass in comparison to the T-65.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If you want to get started on an extra side, I would recommend buying Most Wanted since that allows you to get started on playing Scum. It'll give you Z-95s, an extra y-wings and the use of your Firespray (I wish there was a Skipray :v:) for Scum, so you already have a good base for a Scum fleet.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Tekopo posted:

If you want to get started on an extra side, I would recommend buying Most Wanted since that allows you to get started on playing Scum. It'll give you Z-95s, an extra y-wings and the use of your Firespray (I wish there was a Skipray :v:) for Scum, so you already have a good base for a Scum fleet.

I got my sprays mixed up. Thanks for the suggestion.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Geisladisk posted:

I don't actually think that Poe + Y-Wing + <dude> is overpowering in the specifics; there are probably more counters for it than there are for Heaver's actual world-beating list, I'd say. The strength of Poe + Y-Wing + other ace (in my case Red Ace) is that it is pretty flexible in what it can deal with. I can "safely" bring Poe + Red Ace + Y-Wing to a locked-list tournament without being spectacularly worried about matchups or terrified of the bracket loving me. There are lots of lists that counter other lists, and some of the matchups created in X-Wing can be pretty tilted, so XXY is a good way to try and limit your "if by turn 3 you don't have decisive advantage, may as well scoop" experience.

That said, I don't think there's very many hard counters to my list in terms of building, but there are multiple ways of dealing with it tactically. Poe needs actions, specifically Focus actions; make him Boost to stay in/out of arc(s) or stress him out or deal with other threats and win on points (Poe is 36/37/38) or keep someone like Omega Leader alive to feast on him 1v1 or...

"Red Ace" withers under the fire of multiple ships, for sure, but the likelihood of you getting two or three range 2 or better in-arc shots without any reprisal is probably kinda low? That said, you should either all-in RA and try to destroy him in 1-2 turns, or do your best to account for his movements while basically ignoring him to destroy the stressbot or Poe.

The stressbot is a basically a threat only as long as he can keep you in arc, which he can't for very long under most circumstances. The goal of the T-70s is to either start picking you apart from behind or shepherding you toward the stressbot with your Whisper or your Corran Horn or whatever. The natural solution to this problem is to just absorb the stress that you must, and fuckin' kill the stressbot. He's shooting at PS2 in a ship that can only turn at 2 speed. Everything else is banking or flying straight. If you take more than 2, maybe 3 rounds of shooting from the TLT stressbot, something has gone terribly awry.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

I don't actually think that Poe + Y-Wing + <dude> is overpowering in the specifics; there are probably more counters for it than there are for Heaver's actual world-beating list, I'd say. The strength of Poe + Y-Wing + other ace (in my case Red Ace) is that it is pretty flexible in what it can deal with. I can "safely" bring Poe + Red Ace + Y-Wing to a locked-list tournament without being spectacularly worried about matchups or terrified of the bracket loving me. There are lots of lists that counter other lists, and some of the matchups created in X-Wing can be pretty tilted, so XXY is a good way to try and limit your "if by turn 3 you don't have decisive advantage, may as well scoop" experience.

That said, I don't think there's very many hard counters to my list in terms of building, but there are multiple ways of dealing with it tactically. Poe needs actions, specifically Focus actions; make him Boost to stay in/out of arc(s) or stress him out or deal with other threats and win on points (Poe is 36/37/38) or keep someone like Omega Leader alive to feast on him 1v1 or...

"Red Ace" withers under the fire of multiple ships, for sure, but the likelihood of you getting two or three range 2 or better in-arc shots without any reprisal is probably kinda low? That said, you should either all-in RA and try to destroy him in 1-2 turns, or do your best to account for his movements while basically ignoring him to destroy the stressbot or Poe.

The stressbot is a basically a threat only as long as he can keep you in arc, which he can't for very long under most circumstances. The goal of the T-70s is to either start picking you apart from behind or shepherding you toward the stressbot with your Whisper or your Corran Horn or whatever. The natural solution to this problem is to just absorb the stress that you must, and fuckin' kill the stressbot. He's shooting at PS2 in a ship that can only turn at 2 speed. Everything else is banking or flying straight. If you take more than 2, maybe 3 rounds of shooting from the TLT stressbot, something has gone terribly awry.

Yeah that's the thing about the stresshog; it gets one pass and then it's effectively out of the game for a prolonged period of time. Think of it like the Imperial shuttle. Kill it early if necessary, or just get past it if it's not.

I've taken to baiting the 'hog with Soontir, who is still plenty fast enough to stay out of range of the 'hog for a round or two, even without actions. Of course, I'm often lucky (or good) enough to avoid the hog entirely and just lead it on a futile chase, effectively neutralizing it while the rest of my list focus fires Poe or whatever.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Geisladisk posted:

Imperial Veterans is going to gently caress with this build something awful, but even when wave 8 drops, Redline plus Cluster Missiles plus Chimps will murder the poo poo out of regenners. gently caress your regen, I deal 6 damage this turn. Well, one of my four ships deals six damage this turn, and the others also shoot you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Imperial Veterans is going to gently caress with this build something awful, but even when wave 8 drops, Redline plus Cluster Missiles plus Chimps will murder the poo poo out of regenners. gently caress your regen, I deal 6 damage this turn. Well, one of my four ships deals six damage this turn, and the others also shoot you.

I gotta say that I'm super excited about Chimps. It's gonna shake things up, a lot. We're going to see a LOT more alpha-strike lists overall. If I'm right, we'll probably see a general lowering of average pilot skill across the board, because it hurts less to lose some generic to the initial volley than it does your 40 point ace.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So tonight, in my quest to make a valuable graz list, I am gonna run this tonight at my FLGS
Graz with EU inertial dampers
Talon bane with pred, glitterstim and EU
kavil with tlt r4 agro and vi

Edit: when wave 8 drops a tractor beam and cloaking device will really help Graz I think

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Am I the only one who thinks that Tractor Beam and Chimps are going to be decent-but-not-meta-warping additions to the game?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

guts and bolts posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Tractor Beam and Chimps are going to be decent-but-not-meta-warping additions to the game?

I think you will only see beams used on just a handful of ships, but the chimps will bring us more dedicated ordnance boats. I don't think it will change the meta greatly, but just add to the diversity of ships fielded

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

guts and bolts posted:

Beams are going to be meta-warping in the sense that they're going to necessitate a shift in tactics to accommodate them when they're on the field, but I don't think they'll be the dominant piece of brokenness my first attempts with them have suggested once people are used to them. But for my part, I'm happy they've arrived early in my time playing, so there will be a major shakeup in tactics going on whilst I'm learning and I'll be on a level with everyone else in accommodating it.

Chimps are just going to go some way to making ordnance actually viable competitively, which will just increase variety.

Both of them are well-costed and reasonably balanced IMO. So from that perspective, I agree with you entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I agree. It will find its niche but I doubt it was shake the meta the way, say, the Phantom did when first introduced.

• Locked thread