Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

a ciri game would be cool

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Oligopsony posted:

I was hesitant because of the time commitment and (what looks like a) Standard-Issue Grizzled Male Protagonist, but after hearing so much praise from people whose tastes track mine, I've caved. How should I approach the game to get the most out of it? Is there a standard set of advice somewhere? (Sorry if there is and this is an annoying question; I didn't see it in the OP.)

I cant give advice on "strategy" or whatever because I played it on normal mode and it didnt matter past level 10 or so, but my advice would be to play it how you feel; if you feel protective of a character, make moves to protect them. If you feel trust for a character, give them the benefit of the doubt and acquiesce to their demands. If you think the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, play that way. I played the game as intuitively as I could, and got an ending I was very happy with. When Blood and Wine comes out I'm going to play it again, and it'll feel weird trying to go for the other paths because my first playthrough felt perfect.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Endorph posted:

She's hasn't gone through the trials and isn't a witcher. Plus in all but one ending she's kinda too busy to be out adventuring or at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

yea but how can she star in a game when she's dead :twisted:

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I finally got into Gwent and am now trawling the map looking for people to play. Ending games with a 250+pt combo is the smuggest I've been in video games for a while. Eat that small, halfling herbalist, now gimme your cards!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite joke in the game is loving up the quest with the ghost and lover (again) and getting the lover killed, freeing the ghost. Geralt's like "huh I should follow up on that, eventually". The character bio says he forgot immediately and the ghost killed a kingdom. Fine witcher work.
Oh poo poo, I didn't walk into the fisherman's hut after hearing the scream. Had no idea I screwed up. :doh: Then again, Annabelle did give off an "I want to murder everyone" vibe so my fault for trusting her.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 18, 2016

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Lambert and Keira.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Lambert and Keira.

Vlodomir & Trollolo

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Oligopsony posted:

I was hesitant because of the time commitment and (what looks like a) Standard-Issue Grizzled Male Protagonist, but after hearing so much praise from people whose tastes track mine, I've caved. How should I approach the game to get the most out of it? Is there a standard set of advice somewhere? (Sorry if there is and this is an annoying question; I didn't see it in the OP.)

Play however you like it. It would be unfair to the game (and yourself) if you stick with some sort of pre-determined strategy. For example, the game is based a lot on choices which take you to divergent paths. Unlike other games, Witcher 3 uses subtlety with those choices, i.e. you won't know if you made the right decision (the one you're happy with) till later in the game. The game can really keep you on your toes.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

geralt
geralt please

hearing these delivered in geralt's gruff deadpan is just hilarious

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite joke in the game is loving up the quest with the ghost and lover (again) and getting the lover killed, freeing the ghost. Geralt's like "huh I should follow up on that, eventually". The character bio says he forgot immediately and the ghost killed a kingdom. Fine witcher work.

Hahaha I never noticed this. I hosed that quest up too and was pretty bummed out but this makes it funny.

Also letting the ghost run free guarantees future contracts!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

gently caress. I was just looking for information on when Blood and Wine will be out and now I'm reading that apparently this is going to be the last Witcher game with Geralt in it.

I am glad. I like him well enough, but after Witcher 3, they really had to make the Witcher series about more than just "Geralt does cool things and saves the world AGAIN."

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

homullus posted:

I am glad. I like him well enough, but after Witcher 3, they really had to make the Witcher series about more than just "Geralt does cool things and saves the world AGAIN."

Geralt never really "saves the world" in any of the games. He certainly doesn't do it in 2 or 3 and in 1 it is up to debate if putting down an order rebellion in one kingdom counts as saving the world.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh, we can't start a NG+ game using an NG+ save? That sucks.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I can't do the Gwent: Inkeepers quest portion at the Kingfisher. The quest icon points to the bartender but it's just a regular old gwent battle, not a unique dialog for a rare card. Beat him like 10 times. Are there circumstances that can take place that will bug this quest? Playing on ps4 so i don't have a lot of options to unfuck things.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I want a young vesemir game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nasgate posted:

I want a young vesemir game.

As long as he has the bonnet on.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This game is too loving big and long, just started Skillege after like 40 hours. How worthwhile is it to see that Radovid is assassinated?

And how do you continue it after finding the shoe maker?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 18, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This game is too loving big and long, just started Skillege after like 40 hours. How worthwhile is it to see that Radovid is assassinated?

You should, IMO.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

She's hasn't gone through the trials and isn't a witcher.

Sure, but
"Technically Not a Witcher because girls can't be Witchers: The sequel to The Witcher 3" doesn't really have a good ring to it.

How about we just call it The Witcher 4.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Witcher 4 is a ten minute game about dying in the Trial of the Grasses. The epilogue is Geralt wondering why they even tried.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's great, and you have to continue the main story to finish it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's the most fun mission in the game, imo.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I *really* don't care about the political intrigue of the Novigrad missions. Can I skip the whole Dikstra and Whoreson etc. missions without issue?

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Protons posted:

I *really* don't care about the political intrigue of the Novigrad missions. Can I skip the whole Dikstra and Whoreson etc. missions without issue?

Not all of it, no. You have to work with Dijkstra so that you can advance the main plot. You can however skip "Gangs of Novigrad", either by ignoring it or by telling Cleaver you'r not interested in his petty underworld squabbles.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just finished the game. It took me almost 100 hours including Hearts of Stone. Geralt was level 38 so the finale was pretty easy. I'm pretty happy with the results of my choices throughout the game. :unsmith: Goddamn was that a good game.

I still regret that you never get to revisit the trolls you rescue Thaler from. They just wanted some shoeses. :smith:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

I still regret that you never get to revisit the trolls you rescue Thaler from. They just wanted some shoeses. :smith:

It's not too late to start a campaign to put them in the DLC.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Megazver posted:

Feetses of Stoneses.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Oh, if only. I remember going into their cave for some reason during the DLC or probably some other quest, but I couldn't even talk to them. They were just identified as trolls without names. Poor guys.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 18, 2016

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

For those of you who've read the books, wtf is the deal with the Scoia'tael? I sympathized with them in the first game, because "Displaced indigenous population oppressed by majority rule" is an easy sell, but 1 & 2 seem to go out of their way to frame them as murderous assholes... is the intended narrative "Everyone is flawed, even the freedom fighters with justified complaints," or are they the murderous assholes all the murderous (human) assholes depict them as?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

For those of you who've read the books, wtf is the deal with the Scoia'tael? I sympathized with them in the first game, because "Displaced indigenous population oppressed by majority rule" is an easy sell, but 1 & 2 seem to go out of their way to frame them as murderous assholes... is the intended narrative "Everyone is flawed, even the freedom fighters with justified complaints," or are they the murderous assholes all the murderous (human) assholes depict them as?

Nonhumans are either exterminated outright or shoved into ghettos and povertied to death depending on who is currently in power, nevermind that humans aren't even native to this planet. The squirrels are terrorists who believe that there's no compelling reason to ever trust the hyperaggressive short-lived barbarians who at their most compassionate theoretical extremes would still be the death of elves and dwarves alike through breeding them off the edge of the map . They're not wrong.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Omi no Kami posted:

They're in the grey area where they are murderous assholes, but anyone with a heart can sympathize that they are murderous assholes because of the ruling powers. You're supposed to walk away thinking "man medieval race hate was hosed up" because it draws direct parallels from treatment of othered castes in medieval eastern europe like the dwarves jewish or elves native slavs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cephalocidal posted:

Nonhumans are either exterminated outright or shoved into ghettos and povertied to death depending on who is currently in power, nevermind that humans aren't even native to this planet. The squirrels are terrorists who believe that there's no compelling reason to ever trust the hyperaggressive short-lived barbarians who at their most compassionate theoretical extremes would still be the death of elves and dwarves alike through breeding them off the edge of the map . They're not wrong.

zedprime posted:

They're in the grey area where they are murderous assholes, but anyone with a heart can sympathize that they are murderous assholes because of the ruling powers. You're supposed to walk away thinking "man medieval race hate was hosed up" because it draws direct parallels from treatment of othered castes in medieval eastern europe like the dwarves jewish or elves native slavs.

Yeah, the non-human races are genuinely persecuted, marginalized, and genocided so it's not as if the Scoia'tel don't have a good reason for fighting back.

They're just smug, holier-than-thou violent assholes about it. And the Squirrels are just as racist back towards the humans, they don't get a free pass on that regardless of how most of humanity treats them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, that makes me feel way more justified about my witcher 1 morality... I felt bad that refusing to take sides was the easy way out, but sheezus everyone in this universe is a jerk.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pellisworth posted:

And the Squirrels are just as racist back towards the humans, they don't get a free pass on that regardless of how most of humanity treats them.

They kind of do though.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Iorveth will be back for blood and wine, right? RIGHT!?

:(

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

They kind of do though.

I may be misremembering but aren't the Scoia'tel assholes to everyday dirt farmer peasants and generally hostile to most/all humans? The Squirrels are violent racists too, they're just the losing team.

They're a lot more sympathetic for me than The Flaming Rose or most of the human kingdoms, but they're not really *good guys.*

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's shown in the books that if the elves were in the human's position they'd be doing the exact same genocide and spoilers for the books They wiped out large swathes of their planet and enslaved the people there

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pellisworth posted:

I may be misremembering but aren't the Scoia'tel assholes to everyday dirt farmer peasants and generally hostile to most/all humans? The Squirrels are violent racists too, they're just the losing team.

They're a lot more sympathetic for me than The Flaming Rose or most of the human kingdoms, but they're not really *good guys.*
Geralt interacts with a lot of movers and shakers with idealogical backgrounds but there are plenty of rank and file who are there because its better than being homeless after some bigots torched their house, and fair weather fans like Zoltan who are alternately following the local lord or Squirrel movement depending which way the wind is blowing that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's also hinted that the Elder races are getting hosed over by climate change as a result of the conjunction and human and monster arrival. They never farmed and they say that 'the sun changed' and that a lot of the native plants they used or ate died out, then humans stated farming and changed the land forever and Elves got pushed out to the edge of the world.
Their society pretty much collapsed. Add in the fact they reproduce really slowly and then mix in a hundreds years long war where the young adults have died in droves and you've got yourself a dying population.
They still think they're better though because they were first* and built a sophisticated, complex and beautiful society with amazing cities.

*not really. Gnomes and dwarves were the original inhabitants and the elves came after them. There's also strong hints that the Vran's died out after the Elves arrived. Wonder how that happened.