Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I would rather invite Vladimir to finally occupy this frozen shithole than give up my hangover kebabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kebab is good. I like kebab.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Paavo Väyrynen, still got it

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

This man, this man... :allears:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The jig is more or less up, and EU will hardly return to what it was 5 or 10 years ago ever again. I hope. I'm thinking, bye bye mutual Schengen agreement. Until our outer borders are secured, though shalt not return.

It is fitting that EU and Schengen supporters like Germany and Sweden have helped to speed, if not caused, the inevitable by who knows how many years! Good job. If not for their moronic and selfish "all asylum seekers welcome, you don't have have to prove your identity, and can live here forever, and free housing and health care, PLUR!!1" policy we would never have had the rushing masses of migrants last year, and would continue to bleed slowly instead.

So I guess the migrant assault last autumn could end up being a good thing? Especially now that they are behaving, well, exactly like the skeptics told they would and your regular taxpayer and the mainstream is waking up to the fact while being less concerned of accusations of "racism", which was how they were scared and cowed into silence before this far, although it's a bit sad poo poo really, really had to hit the fan for this to happen (something that was also known before the fact).

The next wave is waiting for the spring, and after how late 2015 turned up I don't think European countries will just suck it up for another go, albeit they will have to make their decisions without EU.

Apparently the melee Oulu was one more of those kurdish/turkish "pizzamafia" strikes where they practice imported business models from the Middle-East, very multiculturally I might say. Jerry thinks suvakki's get points when migrants stab each other or locals. Very hipster of him. Then again he has become increasingly vauhkoontunut, and I fear the late events do not match with his world view where "persut ja natsit" are the worst problem in Europe and he is becoming unhinged? Then again, maybe it was a crazed puukkojunkkari but I highly doubt...

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Well, at least I got some good news for vaihteluksi.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/2016011820976966_ul.shtml
The underage refugees that were missing in large numbers in Sweden? They have been apparently kinda found and luckily not as part of some sexslave ring bust. They were apparently mostly childbrides of the war orphans.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Herman Merman posted:

Have you considered posting on reddit, you might be happier there

What, I have to be a delusional progressive to post on SA? I thought that only applied to D&D.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OhYeah posted:

I thought that only applied to D&D.

:confused:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Puistokemisti posted:

Well, at least I got some good news for vaihteluksi.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/2016011820976966_ul.shtml
The underage refugees that were missing in large numbers in Sweden? They have been apparently kinda found and luckily not as part of some sexslave ring bust. They were apparently mostly childbrides of the war orphans.

This is truly great news.

edit 1:

This isn't: http://www.uusisuomi.fi/kotimaa/165829-nyt-tuli-lista-helsingin-poliisilta-taysin-uutta-tietoa-seksuaalisista-ahdisteluista

edit 2:

Hahahaha: http://www.talouselama.fi/uutiset/ft-eu-aikoo-siirtaa-vastuuta-pakolaisten-vastaanottamisesta-pohjoisille-maille-6246303

Bye bye Schengen, for good, if that happens.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 20, 2016

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You know things are bad when people are comparing Juha Sipilä to Stephen Elop.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Sipilä is a communist draped in human skin. Or maybe an Italian-style fascist.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Sipilä is Finland's Josef Fritzl.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1453205576400.html
Apparently we are democracing the laws.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/autot/art-1453196320140.html
And apparently the refugees don't need license to drive around in Sweden, I'm sure that they all know how to drive on noska and black ice. Guess this is one solution to having too many refugees.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What is "huutaa pää punaisena" in english?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

This is such bullshit! The only reason they're asking is because they know the people are on their side. Why don't they apply this kind of "democracy" to other aspects of society as well? Harsher punishments is what we will end up with, and I don't think anyone can find much data which would suggest that it is a good way to reduce crime.

Puistokemisti posted:

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/autot/art-1453196320140.html
And apparently the refugees don't need license to drive around in Sweden, I'm sure that they all know how to drive on noska and black ice. Guess this is one solution to having too many refugees.

This is just a parody.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Hootering red skull.

SnowblindFatal posted:

This is such bullshit! The only reason they're asking is because they know the people are on their side. Why don't they apply this kind of "democracy" to other aspects of society as well? Harsher punishments is what we will end up with, and I don't think anyone can find much data which would suggest that it is a good way to reduce crime.

More crimes like pahoinpitely or rape getting actual jail time instead of probation is a good thing and if they want to sell it with a bullshit study, fine, go ahead.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

doverhog posted:

More crimes like pahoinpitely or rape getting actual jail time instead of probation is a good thing and if they want to sell it with a bullshit study, fine, go ahead.

Fine I give you that much but I've a bad feeling about this.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Nothing will happen, don't worry guys.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Rexroom posted:

You know things are bad when people are comparing Juha Sipilä to Stephen Elop.

Apart from those Prime ministers who got us in a war, is Sipilä really the worst?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

Apart from those Prime ministers who got us in a war, is Sipilä really the worst?

It's possible he's even dumber than Jäätteenmäki.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Fish of hemp posted:

Katainen was worserer, this far. He sat on a gub'mint wherein the whole purpose was to be a rainbow one, get a cushy EU job, and do nothing about anything for quite a bit. Doesn't look so hot, but let us judge Sipilä on four years or so.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

doverhog posted:

More crimes like pahoinpitely or rape getting actual jail time instead of probation is a good thing

Why?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

So the kansanedustajat can stay in prison instead of loving over the entire country in the parliament.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

My own personal oikeustaju. Probation is not a real punishment and that's a problem.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

doverhog posted:

My own personal oikeustaju. Probation is not a real punishment and that's a problem.

Is the purpose of criminal justice to give you personal satisfaction or to prevent crime? If the latter, harsher punishents only make matters worse as inmates fall further and further outside the society and gain new wonderful facebook buddies inside the kivi. OTOH maybe we could fill our prisons with poor people and then privatize the prisons like in USA, it has worked so well over there!

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

doverhog posted:

Fines, compensations, community service and criminal record are, though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Perhaps imprisonment should be eliminated completely since harsher punishments only make things worse. The more you learn...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
IIRC basically every criminological study ever has shown that harsher punsihment doesn't actually act as a significant deterrent to crime. Rather it's the certainty of punishment that does.

Therefore only cases where it's sensible to lock someone up is if there's good reason to suspect that they're going to be a danger to themselves and/or others in the future. From this follows that prison sentences (or involuntary commitment if someone's mentally ill) should be reserved for violent crimes in cases where the risk of reoffending is deemed to be significant, and prison time should be designed for rehabilitation rather than locking someone up for X years and expecting them to magically reform themselves.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Cerebral Bore posted:

IIRC basically every criminological study ever has shown that harsher punsihment doesn't actually act as a significant deterrent to crime. Rather it's the certainty of punishment that does.

Therefore only cases where it's sensible to lock someone up is if there's good reason to suspect that they're going to be a danger to themselves and/or others in the future. From this follows that prison sentences (or involuntary commitment if someone's mentally ill) should be reserved for violent crimes in cases where the risk of reoffending is deemed to be significant, and prison time should be designed for rehabilitation rather than locking someone up for X years and expecting them to magically reform themselves.

You're talking too much sense. Don't you know people want to cut off balls from rapists and pedophiles? Why do you hate democracy?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You guys understand that criminally inclined people, krimmet and rosvot so to speak, don't really consider probation and fines a punishment though? Every time a repeat offender, and I've known a few, gets off the hook without actual jail time they consider they got off free. I knew one dude who stopped beating up and severly injuring other people only when it was absolutely clear his next assault charge that sticks will get him at least a year, but he hurt a lot of people before it go to that point.

So yes violent offenders -> jail.

Non-violent... depends on what they have done. For example there are foreign murtoliiga's who come here and when sometimes caught, very explicitly tell they came here exactly because of our lentient justice system. They get caught, they get probation and can go back home with the loot, having caused dozens or hundreds of people significant mielipahaa ja ongelmaa sekä taloudellista vahinkoa. Any fines or criminal records they have in Finland will not affect their life in the least bit. This is no justice. What should we do to people like that?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
mamut mamuloi:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2016012120989452_uu.shtml
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2016012120991305_uu.shtml
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2016012120991065_uu.shtml

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

I for one, welcome big brother.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

doverhog posted:

Perhaps imprisonment should be eliminated completely since harsher punishments only make things worse. The more you learn...

If I'm not greatly mistaken, according to research imprisonment is an efficient deterrent only for premeditated crimes. Violent crimes are extremely rarely premeditated.
Of course imprisonment also has other functions like rehabilitation, and in some cases preventing future crime by isolating the worst offenders from the rest of the society. This is very expensive and should be a last resort, not the first one.

OTOH the threat of imprisonment and especially the certainty of getting caught are very effective against premeditated middle- and upper class crimes like fraud and other financial poo poo.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
I find law and criminology fascinating topics, and recommend this webcomic to any layman who's interested in this stuff. It's written by an American lawyer and is mostly about the US legal system, but the basic principles are the same overall. The first 5 chapters are about punishment.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
i will study law and criminology by reading a webcomic

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nauta posted:

there also also some good comics about how to handle miscarriages

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
I think referring to a web comic for lessons about criminology tells more about his opinion of people posting itt than about Herman merman himself

:( <- me

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
I'm glad our criminal justice system is based upon lowering crime rates and rehabilitation instead of revenge with no regards to how it actually affects the amount of crime.

Ask me again if my child is raped and i'm a paraplegic because of a drunk driver though.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
CNBC misquotes Stubb in proclaiming he wants a 15% cut to wages. Instead they should've written about palkkamaltti, yhteiskuntasopimus and other related bullshitzzwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Nauta posted:

whoah, you're as lazy and shiftless as me :wotwot: