Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So is anyone else not getting anything after their pawns have been hired out, released etc. Because I know for a fact I've been doing it, as has my friend, and neither of us seem to be getting anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

How feasible is it to, say, change vocations every five levels just so you can grab your augments of choice before settling on a final class? I want to run a sword/bow Assassin, but all its augments are too situational while Fighter, Warrior, and Strider all have the good poo poo.

Also, how plentiful are Discipline points overall? While playing the above classes, will I get enough points to have some rudimentary skills so I won't be stuck piddling around with basic poo poo while trying to level them up?

It's very feasible, a ring of perserverance makes it faster but it's fine nonetheless.

You will have so much DP by the end game you don't know what to do with it so you don't really need to worry about spending it just to try stuff out.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Step 1: Start hardmode
Step 2: Scream "gently caress everything kills me in one hit" for ten hours
Step 3: Unlock Blast Arrows
Step 4: Win game

Yay for postgame! Now I get to go wiki up all the stuff I need to farm again.

toasterwarrior posted:

How feasible is it to, say, change vocations every five levels just so you can grab your augments of choice before settling on a final class? I want to run a sword/bow Assassin, but all its augments are too situational while Fighter, Warrior, and Strider all have the good poo poo.

If you want to absolutely mix/max, it's Fighter to 10 and Assassin to 200. Since there's no point in doing that unless you're a terrible sperg (which I am) just change and level up whenever. Getting to the postgame also unlocks afk vocation leveling, so there's that.

quote:

Also, how plentiful are Discipline points overall? While playing the above classes, will I get enough points to have some rudimentary skills so I won't be stuck piddling around with basic poo poo while trying to level them up?

By the time you max out a vocation, or get to the level where you can get whatever skill you want, you'll have more than enough points.

Edit: No idea who Rawketts is, but thanks for the gifts and RC! Looks like the pawns are working now. :)

Mailer fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 18, 2016

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Onmi posted:

So is anyone else not getting anything after their pawns have been hired out, released etc. Because I know for a fact I've been doing it, as has my friend, and neither of us seem to be getting anything.
I just now got 18k rift crystals, 2 gifts, and some animal knowledge so I think it's at least kinda working? Again if anyone wants an angry fish lady friend me up / use her so I get some sick crystals.

She's thematically and mechanically good at not dying!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Invite to the Steam group please? https://steamcommunity.com/id/tburk83/

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh and for the record I'm onmikhaos on Steam and I'm currently working on my Pawn as I greatly misunderstood the idea behind it and... wound up making my pawn identical in face and name to me, which was hilarious, but Now I'm trying to scrounge up Rift Crystals the hard way to get him a proper new name and face.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll look into this Ring of Perseverance thing if I'm feeling up to it too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, is there any way to retry if you fail chasing shadows?
Just restarting into NG+, unfortunately.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bakalakadaka posted:

I will never tire of tricking ogres into drop kicking themselves off cliffs.

E: has anyone made a mod that makes mystic knight buffs last longer? Because that's the one thing that kept me from playing one for any significant amount of time.

The trick is to either use a shield buff or a weapon buff, but not both. I would really only bother with weapon buffs if you have a party full of red/yellows. The shield buffs last decently long, and have really fast cast times. They're also not all that useful outside of solo play where you can count on being targeted. If you want to mix all of it with Abyssal Anguish, forget it.

It's one of my big problems with MK. They have a ton of utility, but so much of it is dubious at best. The durations don't really make much of a difference, because to get the most out of things you need to be bringing the right elements, and there are a few variations on some of the same stuff, but you're stuck with 3 skill slots.

I'm not sure how I would fix the class, except maybe get rid of the weapon buffs, and just tie them into the shield buffs. So you buff your shield, but when you get a perfect block, not only do you trigger the spell counter effect, but you get the weapon buff of the same element.

I'm having much better luck playing MK like a 'caster'. Hang around the periphery. Drop some ruinous sigils. They have huge knockdown, interestingly, and the damage is solid if you're not going a warrior/assassin STR build -> MK. Combine with Sky Rupture, Stone Forest/Jungle and you can play a little bit like a more passive warrior, which is really interesting, since the flow of combat is really different, even if the playstyle is technically the same: aim for knockdowns, then go for the big hits.

You can even stack defensive augs and just play it like a drat tanky sorcerer. Get Holy Aid on the shield and let blocked hits heal you as needed, and then go for things like stone jungle/holy furor for damage. sigils or cannons for smaller stuff. I'd probably favor sigils, and just use core skills for the small fry. Sigils can work decently, and also have the big knockdown potential on large enemies.

I can't stand the class as a sort of melee buff build. Even if buff timers were hacked I'd just lose it's little niche and be something of a weaker fighter with different stat distribution.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Onmi posted:

It's been broken since launch. Capcom's aware of it, but that's all so far.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hopefully we see a mod that lets you use any skill with any class. I want to see a Great Cannon launched with a Thousand Kisses

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh Evil Eye, what were your designers smoking.

E: Worth all the tedium when the warrior pawn you hired lands an Arc of Deliverance right on the eye.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 18, 2016

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

Hopefully we see a mod that lets you use any skill with any class. I want to see a Great Cannon launched with a Thousand Kisses

This is actually a thing that can sort of happen with a boss in BBI.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was not expecting this game to be so much fun. The dungeons are really well designed and atmospheric as heck. They did a pretty decent job with the lighting, shadow, and fog effects. The game can look amazing at times. Can't wait for the MEGA HD TEXTURE PACK.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Bakalakadaka posted:

This is actually a thing that can sort of happen with a boss in BBI.
it's even better when instead of that you just stack more great cannons on top of it
especially when you position your ruinous sigil perfectly so the boss triggers it and the cannons
it's beautiful

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Everdraed posted:

I just now got 18k rift crystals, 2 gifts, and some animal knowledge so I think it's at least kinda working? Again if anyone wants an angry fish lady friend me up / use her so I get some sick crystals.

She's thematically and mechanically good at not dying!

Also she fucks up ogres. I'm really liking mystic knight because I can fly into their face and smack them with my giant mace knocking them down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

I'm having much better luck playing MK like a 'caster'. Hang around the periphery. Drop some ruinous sigils. They have huge knockdown, interestingly, and the damage is solid if you're not going a warrior/assassin STR build -> MK. Combine with Sky Rupture, Stone Forest/Jungle and you can play a little bit like a more passive warrior, which is really interesting, since the flow of combat is really different, even if the playstyle is technically the same: aim for knockdowns, then go for the big hits.

You can even stack defensive augs and just play it like a drat tanky sorcerer. Get Holy Aid on the shield and let blocked hits heal you as needed, and then go for things like stone jungle/holy furor for damage. sigils or cannons for smaller stuff. I'd probably favor sigils, and just use core skills for the small fry. Sigils can work decently, and also have the big knockdown potential on large enemies.

I can't stand the class as a sort of melee buff build. Even if buff timers were hacked I'd just lose it's little niche and be something of a weaker fighter with different stat distribution.

This is a pretty good take on Mystic Knight, really. I do play it in melee fairly often--usually I lay down a Ruinous Sigil and then fight in and around it--but also there's a reason why most people just play MK as a Great Cannon machine.

I also like to play Magick Archer alongside Mystic Knight, just kind of switch back and forth when I feel like it. I really want to love Magick Archer more than I do--something about standing back and shooting homing lasers out of my bow doesn't really do it for me the way that Mystic Knight does, at least when I played a couple years back. I might feel differently this time around, especially because I'm starting to wonder why I loved Mystic Knight so much last time. It's probably Ruinous Sigils in narrow corridors in Bitterblack, that's probably it.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Somebody may have asked this already, but I might've missed it - does the Mage augment for making weapon enchants last longer also apply to MK's buffs?

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

So I accidentally killed the Innkeeper in Grand Soren testing out Ruinous Sigil after I bought it. Do npc's respawn? I got arrested before I could even think about using a wakestone. Killed him and a short little girl npc. Oops.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mung Dynasty posted:

Somebody may have asked this already, but I might've missed it - does the Mage augment for making weapon enchants last longer also apply to MK's buffs?

Yes, to Enchanter/Trance element buffs. No to just about everything else.

Turk posted:

So I accidentally killed the Innkeeper in Grand Soren testing out Ruinous Sigil after I bought it. Do npc's respawn? I got arrested before I could even think about using a wakestone. Killed him and a short little girl npc. Oops.

Yes. 7 days and he'll be back... should be back.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Kiggles posted:

Yes, to Enchanter/Trance element buffs. No to just about everything else.

NOICE. That's good enough for me. Pawns - bless their stupid little hearts - just don't give me that sweet, sweet 100% enchant uptime.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

He came out pretty well, I think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I love my warrior pawn, Demi. She knocks something big down, I start charging up a spell, like Gicel or something and she just saves me the effort and obliterates the poo poo out of it with Arc of Deliverance. poo poo rules.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

He came out pretty well, I think.

He needs to be like the true Ganondorf and only use the sword for taunting and then just punch goblins instead.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Kiggles posted:

Yes. 7 days and he'll be back... should be back.

Hahahaa. All of them came back. But as soon as I went into the inn the two I killed (accidentally) ran off. God drat it I just want to use the inn while in Grand Soren.

*Edit

Rested up at the Great Wall a few more days and when I got back to Grand Soren all was fine. Also it seems I killed the guy who sells armor and weapons in my testing of my new powers.

Lesson learned. Test stuff in the wild.

Turk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 18, 2016

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Some people in the Steam forums are claiming that pawn rewards are starting to show up.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
The game's difficulty is really strange. I'm playing on hard, and it doesn't really seem like there's a difficulty curve at all - some enemies do little to no damage to me even when they hit (I don't think I've ever seen a harpy or a knife bandit do anything), while others (grouped in randomly with the weak ones) kill me in one blow. The bigger monsters seem somewhat better balanced, but maybe that's just because their oneshots are much easier to dodge. Managed to kill a hydra in Bitterblack on level 30; took ages, but drat if it wasn't satisfying.

Like someone said, game's janky and feels rushed / badly balanced at times, but when it works it's pretty drat fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

Some people in the Steam forums are claiming that pawn rewards are starting to show up.

Jesus christ I'm rich as gently caress now. In RC but still.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Harrow posted:

I also like to play Magick Archer alongside Mystic Knight, just kind of switch back and forth when I feel like it. I really want to love Magick Archer more than I do--something about standing back and shooting homing lasers out of my bow doesn't really do it for me the way that

Shooting lasers is cool but the proper way to play magick archer is riding monsters while on fire just saying.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
So is it a pawn inclination thing to just smash everyone's stuff all the time? I rented one named Silver (maybe from SA, not sure), and every place we went, friendly or not, I'd just be chilling out talking to people, and she'd rush in and destroy all their furniture. And I'm not complaining, it was pretty funny... So shoutout to Silver, enjoyed you smashing furniture so I didn't have to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Magic Archer is only setting yourself on fire, and in BBI Ricochet Hunter

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Flumpus posted:

So is it a pawn inclination thing to just smash everyone's stuff all the time? I rented one named Silver (maybe from SA, not sure), and every place we went, friendly or not, I'd just be chilling out talking to people, and she'd rush in and destroy all their furniture. And I'm not complaining, it was pretty funny... So shoutout to Silver, enjoyed you smashing furniture so I didn't have to.
It's not an inclination in itself, but it is a learned behavior. If your pawn sees you smash stuff to try to get more items, it'll start trying it.

Pro tip: give all your pawns pickaxes, and they'll go to town on mining spots.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
What's a good way to deal with the tons of humans to the west of the starting area (the area beyond the rolling boulder)? I'm a level 25-ish fighter and still has trouble fighting them.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

ymgve posted:

What's a good way to deal with the tons of humans to the west of the starting area (the area beyond the rolling boulder)? I'm a level 25-ish fighter and still has trouble fighting them.

Run past them, or use your dash-and-knockdown ability to handle the archers and the dudes with the shields.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
So... is the Mage's Inflection augment still bugged? Apparently in the console version it ended up broken post-DA and doubled the damage taken instead of halving it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Jesus christ I'm rich as gently caress now. In RC but still.

You can cheat engine DP/RC/GOLD :shobon:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Gonna restart and make Conan and Subotai, brb.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Except it looks terrible and armor stats don't matter at all

I don't think it looks terrible but it's so overused that I refuse to hire any pawn that's wearing it. I also refuse to hire childpawns and prefer to hire unique-looking taller ones which is ironic since I think I just made mine normal height as well.

The rift search tool is actually pretty useful since I like to use pawns that are my level - usually I'll pick up a physical class and then search for mages or sorcs. You can actually find pawns that have quest knowledge because they'll show up at the top of the list when you do a pawn search, which is pretty cool.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

You can cheat engine DP/RC/GOLD :shobon:

You're boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So they're rolling out a fix for the pawn bug.

Of course now I can't tell if I'm still affected or if nobody has hired my pawn :negative: