Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The Portland Historics are usually great! Our car club usually attends. Last year, the management sucked and no one attended. It changed back and should be fine for 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Awesome, I'd love to just see vintage stuff out on the track, even if it isn't competition.

Any other suggestions, you know non car crap so the wife will enjoy it?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

the spyder posted:

When? I'm in Japan in for 1/2 of June!

This is when Mazda is going to abduct you and force you to work in their underground skunkworks rotary lab

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Do you sell some of these cars you buy and fix up? I may have missed that somewhere in the thread. Just curious.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So are you going to Japan on a parts hunt?

Either way, make sure you find out where the best ramen houses are :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
On your way back from Hiroshima, stop in Shin-Osaka station and try out the tonkatsu place in the little enclosed restaurant near the back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never cease to be amused and impressed by this thread. Also very glad you wife is okay and the Mini is dead.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Awesome, I'd love to just see vintage stuff out on the track, even if it isn't competition.

Any other suggestions, you know non car crap so the wife will enjoy it?

Seattle historics @ pacific raceways will be july 2-4, portland is the weekend after that.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today has been a catch up day. I've been running my wife around and trying to get our belongings out of the Min @ the tow yard.

As far as the Red FD goes, now that it's not raining you can see the crappy re-spray. In the rain/pre wash, I thought the paint might be mostly original. As it turns out they did a common trick. The original
paint was lightly sanded with 800 grit or so and then re-cleared. Since clear won't stick to improperly prep'd sun faded red paint, it's started to bubble and peel off. Our pressure washing sure didn't help.

It still looks great all things considered.

I've decided to pull the motor. I tried to start it and pretty much nothing happened. I have to wait until the white FD is off the lift, but I'm hoping to get that done by next weekend. Until then, I'm parts shopping and will try to title it.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 19, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Happy to see that the Mini did it's job and protected your family. Hopefully mine will do the same when my wife inevitably gets hit by some idiot. RE: the FD, if I had that many mishaps that close together with a car, I'd abandon the project from all the bad juju it's got on it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Is it a R53? I have a box of parts to get rid of I never installed. Cars are just cars to me, there have been a few that have really tested me, but at the end of they day it's just an object. (And yes, I realize people believe in cursed objects. If it pisses me off, it will be parted. Simple as that :))

parid
Mar 18, 2004
June 18-19, 2016 at PIR

September 17-18, 2016 at ORP

October 29-30, 2016 at The Ridge

And if you really want to get wild... August 2016 at Rosarita Beach on a closed Mexican street. So far, I haven't found anyone else brave/stupid enough to be willing to do this with me.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

the spyder posted:

Is it a R53? I have a box of parts to get rid of I never installed. Cars are just cars to me, there have been a few that have really tested me, but at the end of they day it's just an object. (And yes, I realize people believe in cursed objects. If it pisses me off, it will be parted. Simple as that :))

No, R56 justa. I'm so happy I avoided the fuckery of the R56S with that whack-rear end engine they put in those. Seems that everything that BMW stuck onto the engine to make it go faster is what breaks (HPFP, turbo, associated lubing stuff for the two) The N16 seems to be pretty stout by all accounts as long as you keep an eye on consumption and keep it from getting too low on oil. If you don't the timing chain tensioner doesn't have enough pressure and the chain rattles itself to death and grenades the engine. Aka death rattle, another way more prevalent thing in the R56S.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Mini update: It's been released to insurance.

We did find out the Lexus had a stuck throttle. Not sure if it caused the accident or a result of it.

I decided since there's a bit of downtime with the car stuck on the lift, it was time to clean. The shops been a mess and I'm getting tired of tripping over parts. Here's the before.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I like that we just get the before. Glad the mini held up. Makes me feel better about my wife driving around in hers. Also happy it isn't an S.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Good to know that the Mini performed its final duty well and gave its life to protect your family :britain:. And also that the car you dislike is gone from your life and will shortly be converted into insurance dollars.

I am insanely jealous of your workshop!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So is it just the Mini S that's garbage, or are the standard Minis garbage too? I wouldn't mind owning a standard Mini if it doesn't come with the bullshit that the S does.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be honest, the Mini looks like it held up really well. I'm downright impressed, especially after seeing the Lexus.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
It's a BMW, I guess some of their 'build strong cars' poo poo made it over to the Mini.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I think the mini gets a bad rap because some owners buy a fashion accessory and expect it to 'just work' when a lot of them don't realize it's still a BMW with all the PM and other bullshit that implies (GDCS). So when Muffy gets her cute mini and never checks the oil between service visits, of course it's going to poo poo the bed, since they consume oil at about 1qt/6000mi(S's are far worse) and it's only got a 4 quart sump. Dealer intervals are 15K. I can see maybe some parts aren't made as well as BMW ones, like being made in Bratislava instead of Germany, but all in all they are pretty nicely put together cars. They just don't suffer abuse like say, a Yaris would.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The S only has catastrophic problems if you buy an automatic. The auto trans in the S is made out of glass and grenades itself

All the other issues with them are just annoying maintenance poo poo and some body rust problems. If you have owned a BMW or other needy cars it isn't that big of a deal aside from having to tear the front of the car apart sometimes. Doing the front control arm bushings can be a huge bitch though if you don't have the right tools or know someone who does and will knock em out for some beer and a pat on the rear end

The new ones are kinda lovely though, they don't drive as nice as the first gens IMO either and keep getting bigger/heavier. They have all the current BMW issues plus a few of their own. Granted our roads here suck, but I keep paying tickets out for doing front strut mounts and wheel bearings on 30k mile cars while I don't have to do that on the BMW cars.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 21, 2016

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've known two people that owned Minis. Yes, past tense. They were unreliable garbage. Both of them consumed oil like a two-stroke, much more than a quart every 6000 miles; one friend was putting in over a quart a week, and that oil is not cheap.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

double post but my mini held up good in the accident I got in as well. It wasn't as fast as your wifes (my airbags didn't go off) but the jeep cherokee (or whatever it was) looked worse off than my car did. The front end of the car is fairly stout cause everything is packed in there tight

EightBit posted:

I've known two people that owned Minis. Yes, past tense. They were unreliable garbage. Both of them consumed oil like a two-stroke, much more than a quart every 6000 miles; one friend was putting in over a quart a week, and that oil is not cheap.

Mine liked oil too but the actual BMW allowed tolerance for burning oil is pretty high. A full quart over 1k miles... which if you are hitting that (or close to it) and going the full 7500 or more between changes will leave you empty. Any car sucking down a quart a week though is either leaking something fierce or about to blow itself up

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 21, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

If you guys had cooper S's, I could see them drinking up more oil. I've owned two R56 NA minis, one manual, one auto, and they both didn't do much worse than a quart every 6000. My interval on changes with those two is 6500mi and I'm out of the last quart out of 5 that I buy by the time it's coming due for it's next change. Maybe the turbos have some blowby issues on top of consumption?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Like others have posted, it's a BMW. It has all the typical issues. Electrical problems, rubber bushings that fail, cooling systems that won't last more then 100k, leaks from every rubber gasket, ect. In our case, the only additional problems it had were mainly maintenance related. Like the throw out bearing exploding and shot peening the transmission casing or the CV's going out. I just don't want a car that has to have $500 dumped into it every 3 months. A "high" mileage mini, regardless of S/non S is going to be expensive to maintain. Oh and it leaked/drank at least two quarts every 5k.

Let's see, what all did we do over the 80k we owned it.
Control arms + front bushings.
Wheel speed sensors, twice.
Axels (both).
Brakes.
Rear wheel bearings.
Slave/Master clutch.
Clutch kit and release arm cracked.
Water pump.
Thermostat and gasket.
Coolant expansion tank, twice.
Spark plugs, twice.
Air filter, twice.
Exhaust hanger and bushings.
Front and Rear O2 sensors.
Idler/tensioner and belt.
Harmonic Damper/pulley.
Front strut hats.
4 sets of tires.

I'm sure there's more, but I would bet I spent more maintaining the car then the original purchase price in just 5 years.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

That's pretty awful.

What kind of Miata are you going to buy to replace it with?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

To be honest, the Mini looks like it held up really well. I'm downright impressed, especially after seeing the Lexus.

Might not be a good thing, to be honest. "It doesn't look bad" could mean just more energy transfer to the occupants.

But since the mini is a fairly modern car, it was probably just not an enormous shunt.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

Like others have posted, it's a BMW. It has all the typical issues. Electrical problems, rubber bushings that fail, cooling systems that won't last more then 100k, leaks from every rubber gasket, ect. In our case, the only additional problems it had were mainly maintenance related. Like the throw out bearing exploding and shot peening the transmission casing or the CV's going out. I just don't want a car that has to have $500 dumped into it every 3 months. A "high" mileage mini, regardless of S/non S is going to be expensive to maintain. Oh and it leaked/drank at least two quarts every 5k.

Yeah gently caress that. I'm going to just buy a low mileage Mazda 2 and be done with poo poo like that. At this point in my life I'm tired of driving around rolling projects, I just want a DD that doesn't need anything but gas and oil changes now and then.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

That's pretty awful.

What kind of Miata are you going to buy to replace it with?

I would buy a new ND in a heartbeat if we did not need 4 doors. You should hear the list of cars that have been proposed.

Here's a few:
07/08 WRX wagon
e46 M3 vert
Challenger
Vert Mustang
Mazdaspeed3
Fiat Abarth
CX-3

My response has been:
14 Fiesta ST
13 Focus ST
Volvo v50
Mazda 3 hatch

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I love the requirement for 4 doors yet half of those cars only have 2. If you meant 4 seat..eh, ok, but yowzas, I can't imagine that would be fun..but then again, she was driving a mini, sooooo...

I like the FoST/FiST idea.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The 4 door requirement is mine, as she is usually watching our son and a friends daughter. She would prefer a 2 door, due to the generally smaller size. You should have seen the look on her face when the rental place tried to give her a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab. We had to wait two extra days to get something smaller. Which worked out for the best, she's terrible at judging distances when parking my truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

the spyder posted:

I would buy a new ND in a heartbeat if we did not need 4 doors. You should hear the list of cars that have been proposed.

Here's a few:
07/08 WRX wagon
e46 M3 vert
Challenger
Vert Mustang
Mazdaspeed3
Fiat Abarth
CX-3

My response has been:
14 Fiesta ST
13 Focus ST
Volvo v50
Mazda 3 hatch

Here are some recommendations:
- 95 or 99 jeep cherokee
- miata
- miata
- e30
- miata
- jeep grand wagoneer
- miata

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

the spyder posted:

Here's a few:
07/08 WRX wagon
e46 M3 vert
Challenger
Vert Mustang
Mazdaspeed3
Fiat Abarth
CX-3

My response has been:
14 Fiesta ST
13 Focus ST
Volvo v50
Mazda 3 hatch

If you don't need fast I've been very happy with my wife's (formerly mine) '14 Mazda 3i Sport. I imagine they'd be even better with the 2.5. They're fantastic driving cars. Maybe a 4 door Civic Si?

I replaced it (for me) with an 01 330i because I needed something Fast Enough.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
buy my 08 civic si! 4 doors!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

Here's a few:
07/08 WRX wagon
e46 M3 vert
Challenger
Vert Mustang
Mazdaspeed3
Fiat Abarth
CX-3

My response has been:
14 Fiesta ST
13 Focus ST
Volvo v50
Mazda 3 hatch

Nothing wrong with getting a Speed 3

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Nothing wrong with getting a Speed 3

Especially if you want to rid the world of as many 215/45R18 tires as possible, while doing your best to not torquesteer into every tree :getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

the spyder posted:

Here's a few:
07/08 WRX wagon
e46 M3 vert
Challenger
Vert Mustang
Mazdaspeed3
Fiat Abarth
CX-3

My response has been:
14 Fiesta ST
13 Focus ST
Volvo v50
Mazda 3 hatch

What about an RX8? I bet you know someone who could keep it running reliably :v:

Plus, 4 doors!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I would buy a new ND in a heartbeat if we did not need 4 doors.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Wrar posted:

If you don't need fast I've been very happy with my wife's (formerly mine) '14 Mazda 3i Sport. I imagine they'd be even better with the 2.5. They're fantastic driving cars. Maybe a 4 door Civic Si?

I replaced it (for me) with an 01 330i because I needed something Fast Enough.

We had a 08' Grand Touring and I liked it. It had a slight mishap involving a split o-ring and being run out of oil. We sold it after it was fixed and bought the Mini. The biggest issue right now is we can't test drive anything until her shoulder/arm/wrist/hand are ok. Today was the first Chiropractor appointment and they want her back once a week for the next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Raluek posted:

What about an RX8? I bet you know someone who could keep it running reliably :v:

Plus, 4 doors!

Hahahaha. No. Maybe if she didn't drive 16k a year and it got better then 15mpg I would consider it. I have been keeping a look out for one, but it's pretty slim pickings around here.