Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Tells you quite a bit about the culture back then. If an aerospace firm ran an ad like this today, they'd get slammed.

Car companies do it all the time, with even more tenuous links, and not that Boeing or Airbus really run ads outside of trade mags, but those trade mags definitely cover the "whole of market", so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
This seems like as good a time as any to repost the proposed B-58 passenger variant.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Previa_fun posted:

I love the Convair 880. Such a sleek, futuristic-as-seen-from-the-50s airliner.

And the fact it basically has fighter jet engines sans afterburners is pretty awesome as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isP1LVVZ6nU

The -990 had even goofier engines but they paved the way for the modern high-bypass turbofans that virtually all airliners use today.

An -880 was the first aircraft I did restoration work on :shobon:. Cockpit of that thing is really snazzy, and the first class seats are a great place to run to to take a quick nap on the job (allegedly)

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Previa_fun posted:

I love the Convair 880. Such a sleek, futuristic-as-seen-from-the-50s airliner.

And the fact it basically has fighter jet engines sans afterburners is pretty awesome as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isP1LVVZ6nU

The -990 had even goofier engines but they paved the way for the modern high-bypass turbofans that virtually all airliners use today.

I absolutely LOVE the -880/-990's. One of the first airline flights I can remember taking was on a TWA CV-880 from Seattle to O'Hare. Got to go up in the cockpit all Airplane!-style, but sadly the Captain didn't ask me if I liked movies about gladiators.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Tells you quite a bit about the culture back then. If an aerospace firm ran an ad like this today, they'd get slammed.

Eh, I dunno about "slammed". It might not be as universally well received as it was back then, but there are certainly some market segments that would go for "you're flying in something made from jet bomber parts".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Eh, I dunno about "slammed". It might not be as universally well received as it was back then, but there are certainly some market segments that would go for "you're flying in something made from jet bomber parts".

Well yea. I think the ad is loving dope. The selling idea is sound: our expertise carries over no matter what the aircraft. Nowadays that probably wouldn't make it in a magazine like NatGeo or Wired. The execution of the idea would have to be re-tooled into something less like, "you're flying in the same stuff that drops nukes!"

Because, you know, millennials don't like nuclear bombers.

edit: So this got me interested to see what aerospace firms do now with their advertising. Lockheed has this one that came from a big agency in the industry, DDB.
http://www.advertolog.com/lockheed-martin/print-outdoor/anti-war-plane-1312555/

Boeing (agency unknown): http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archive/2011/march/March11_ad03.pdf

bloops fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 18, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well yea. I think the ad is loving dope. The selling idea is sound: our expertise carries over no matter what the aircraft. Nowadays that probably wouldn't make it in a magazine like NatGeo or Wired. The execution of the idea would have to be re-tooled into something less like, "you're flying in the same stuff that drops nukes!"

Because, you know, millennials don't like nuclear bombers.

edit: So this got me interested to see what aerospace firms do now with their advertising. Lockheed has this one that came from a big agency in the industry, DDB.
http://www.advertolog.com/lockheed-martin/print-outdoor/anti-war-plane-1312555/

Boeing (agency unknown): http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archive/2011/march/March11_ad03.pdf

Now that National Geographic is owned by the Murdoch group, you never know!
Also what loving "millennials" read national geographic??

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Linedance posted:

Now that National Geographic is owned by the Murdoch group, you never know!
Also what loving "millennials" read national geographic??

Nat Geo has significant reach across multiple demographics.

I found this thread with a bunch of dope ads.
http://www.elgrancapitan.org/foro/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19965&start=180

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

I can't find the exact video, but there's been a thing floating around on Facebook. Here's what I dug up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeSdj7NC7ZE

I had one friend, who is not an engineer or pilot, thought it was cool, but I explained why it was impractical -- wouldn't scale well, the example in the video being an RJ you'd end up with an RJ that was more expensive, heavier, shorter range, thirstier engines, and needing more runway to take off and land, not to mention that in an EOOT situation, the pilots might not be able to activate the system, and even if they could, there wouldn't be enough time for the pilots to save themselves, they'd be absolutely hosed. And in a situation like what happened here in Taipei last year, it could actually make matters worse (and we're ignoring the part about how most modern RJs can fly on one engine). Then the big question of, if the airplane ejected the cabin, could it still fly, or would it become an unbalanced uncontrollable unflyable mess.

Then a classmate of mine posted the video saying WE NEED THIS RIGHT NOW! I think I understand why he tried focusing on rockets, and why he's a banker now and not an engineer. (Which isn't much for me to say considering I'm teaching English for a living :P)

The full video on Facebook has a bit at the end using the Cirrus as a "proof of concept".

Lmao at this point why not just jettison the wingbox and empennage and leave the cockpit attached

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I thought millenials came after generation y but apparently they're the same thing so I'm just going to drop the whole stupid thing. Forget I mentioned it.
Anyway, this ad was on the Flightglobal.com website, apologies for the garbage capture, screen capturing as an animated gif is way more trouble than it's worth (on Windows, anyway).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Lmao at this point why not just jettison the wingbox and empennage and leave the cockpit attached

Motivation.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The park I played in as a kid had a mockup of one of these as part of the playground equipment. Also the Apollo module.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

ausgezeichnet posted:

I absolutely LOVE the -880/-990's. One of the first airline flights I can remember taking was on a TWA CV-880 from Seattle to O'Hare. Got to go up in the cockpit all Airplane!-style, but sadly the Captain didn't ask me if I liked movies about gladiators.

Im so glad I was able to hang out in the cockpit and talk poo poo to the pilots when I was young. Its such an archaic idea now, i feel sorry for the kids these days in that regard.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

haha, even I'm not this crazy about airships:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The park I played in as a kid had a mockup of one of these as part of the playground equipment. Also the Apollo module.

My grade school had an actual helicopter (don't remember what type, but Vietnam era, not a Huey) with seats, controls, wiring, pretty much everything except the gear/wheels (they mounted it to the ground with concrete pedestals) and rotors. There were so many loving sharp edges and dangerous parts on that thing (and old oil and fuel residue), and it was the best loving playground toy ever made in the history of the earth. Poor kids today (at least in the US) could never experience something like that.

Hell, I'm pretty sure that there is not a single piece of playground equipment that we had that would be allowed today. Giant concrete pipes, monkey-bars and other 'bar things' that were just bare metal with nothing but the gound under them (gently caress those things got hot in the AZ sun), metal slides that were 10' or so high at the top without any sort of sides to keep dumb kids from falling off, super tall swings with chains to the seats that we did our best to go all the way around on (and often fell out of breaking various bones), round steel platforms that spun (which of course we would get going so fast that kids would rocket off of them tumbling for dozens of feet).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Looks like a giant flying :butt:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Linedance posted:

I thought millenials came after generation y but apparently they're the same thing so I'm just going to drop the whole stupid thing. Forget I mentioned it.
Anyway, this ad was on the Flightglobal.com website, apologies for the garbage capture, screen capturing as an animated gif is way more trouble than it's worth (on Windows, anyway).

Try clicking it, add a few Hornets to the shopping basket and see if the referral code is still in the URL. Perhaps Flightglobal.com gets a million bucks per clickthrough that leads to a military acquisition program.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Its only weakness: Power lines.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

Its only weakness: Power lines.

Pfft, those things weren't omnipotent

priznat posted:

"Good news! It's a suppository!" :zoid:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It seems the PLAAF has also been experimenting with flying platforms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb1NCr9PbHQ

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

This seems like as good a time as any to repost the proposed B-58 passenger variant.

Would.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think the last time it came up I calculated the cabin height and seat width to be less than that of a CRJ.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the last time it came up I calculated the cabin height and seat width to be less than that of a CRJ.
Worth it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Still would.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

CRJ's don't go supersonic more than once, comparison invalid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's not like you'd have to be squished in there for long, cruising at Mach 2.4.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

priznat posted:

It's not like you'd have to be squished in there for long, cruising at Mach 2.4.

It's not like you'd be squished in there long before it crashed, you mean. The B-58 had more than 20% operational attrition.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MrYenko posted:

It's not like you'd be squished in there long before it crashed, you mean. The B-58 had more than 20% operational attrition.

Would everyone get the sweet ejector pods? (without bears)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
While looking up B-58 videos just because hey why not I ran across this and... While I highly doubt I'd ever do the Stand-Behind-a-Commercial-Airliner thing like folks love to do at that St Maarten airport I sure as gently caress wouldn't do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhf6LyMCYeI

Bonus hot hot roll action at the end.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^As soon as the last one started, my thought was "That's an old video, he's going to do something even cooler." Yep.

priznat posted:

In celebration of the 25th anniversary of NG's best-hung aircraft:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 19, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why arn't old bombers sold to private individuals like old fighters are? Is it because they require more maintenance, cause they're larger and thus harder to ship and store, national security reasons, require a bigger crew, what?

You'd think there'd at least be a few Il-28s bucketing around in private hands.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Apparently KLM is training dogs to sniff peoples lost phones, find them in the airport and return them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK-T_t166TY

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

hobbesmaster posted:

So you're saying it'd be nice and tight inside?

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

-Troika- posted:

Why arn't old bombers sold to private individuals like old fighters are? Is it because they require more maintenance, cause they're larger and thus harder to ship and store, national security reasons, require a bigger crew, what?

In the late '90s there was a privately owned Electric Canberra that would show up at Oshkosh. Many of the surviving A-26/B-25s went through an executive transport make-over in the late '50s and early '60s.

I would dearly love to see an IL-28 on the airshow circuit, however.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

-Troika- posted:

There was an interesting article that popped up on Ars about restoring and flying Vietnam-era fighter jets, specifically the work the Collings Foundation is doing: http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/01/the-slowly-fading-art-of-flying-and-maintaining-cold-war-fighter-jets/

The gist is that it's really expensive to get an old fighter going, really expensive to do the required maintenance to keep it flying (not to mention parts availability is scarce), really expensive to fly, and really expensive to get new people to fly. If you can even find type-rated instructors who can train new pilots. Bombers would even be more expensive.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A B-52 corporate jet would own so hard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A B-52 corporate jet would own so hard.

B-1 for some mega rich CEO would be simultaneously awesome and an utterly disgusting display of wealth.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mlmp08 posted:

B-1 for some mega rich CEO would be simultaneously awesome and an utterly disgusting display of wealth.

Can the B-1 supercruise? I want something that can go mach 2 + across the Atlantic/Pacific. The Russians were all "we don't have the parts for the Tu-144, sorry" and the quote for a Tu-160 was just retarded. Like I might have more wealth than the bottom 50% of the world's population, but even I found it unreasonable.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The concept of a corporate jet B-1 is thoroughly absurd but it would be kind of interesting to see what one would look like with a bizjet-style paint scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A bizjet variant of the B-1 would end up looking kinda like that: