Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

wolrah posted:

On Hooniverse or The Smoking Tire's podcasts it's not uncommon to hear them complaining about the driving of other supposed automotive journalists at press events.

http://jalopnik.com/5921693/journalist-flips-cadillac-ats-in-crash-17-miles-from-race-track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I like the motor trend guys rebuttal that he was doing the 55mph speed limit but somehow manage to leave huge skid marks, get the car completely sideways, and then careen backwards off the opposite shoulder into the woods.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He's probably just the worst driver in the entire world, by his own admission.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Remember when a Jalopnik (idiot) journalist crashed a brand new v6 camaro at a track day being thrown by GM at a race track?

http://jalopnik.com/i-was-the-first-person-to-publicly-crash-a-2016-chevr-1705084839

GM politely told him to go gently caress off.

Oh yeah same guy got locked up in Virginia for 3 days.

quote:

I gunned the Camaro again, rowing through the gears, and then backed off when I saw the State Trooper’s car parked beside the road. It all happened very quickly, and I’m not joking when I say that—the trooper had me going 93 mph, something instrumented testing at Road & Track says happens in only about seven seconds.

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's like people haven't realised that journos are often just people with degrees in writing and a passing interest in a subject. They quite literally let any idiot write for magazines and newspapers these days but then if you were paid to write words about cars wouldn't you drive like a complete arsehole?

The fastest car in the world is a rental car and all that...

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just want to reiterate cause it can never be said more, NEVER SPEED IN VIRGINIA. Until the jailtime part of reckless driving gets revoked somehow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Koirhor posted:

Just want to reiterate cause it can never be said more, NEVER SPEED IN VIRGINIA. Until the jailtime part of reckless driving gets revoked somehow.

My friend was going 83 and being passed by people (with VA plates) and she got a 400 dollar reckless driving ticket. A little bit faster and she would have gone to jail.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Koirhor posted:

As someone from Virginia: It is usually reasonable to exceed the speed limit by no more than 5 miles per hour. 7 if you're bold. But this mainly applies to major highways like interstates, and there are certain exceptions like the People's Democratic Republic of Falls Church in which if the speed limit is 25, which it always is, then you should have a foot hovering over the brake and your cruise control set at 23. That place is a for-profit institution funded by speeding tickets and I suggest you stay away if you're in the DC suburbs, or at least stick to I-66 or the Beltway if you must pass through.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Chris Evans can't talk while driving and gets car sick... perfect Top Gear host!

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/18/top-gear-host-chris-evans-suffers-from-car-sickness-whilst-filming-top-gear-5628926/(from Facebook AI)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 18, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
New top gear:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Just how the gently caress nobody thought to vet those sorts of things is a strong suggestion that nobody at the BBC Knows What They're Doing unless this is being blown out of proportion. Perhaps he had a stomach flu or something ahead of the shoot, beats me. I'm excited for Sabine and Other Chris, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I know what I'll be watching :stare:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well, he was a passenger, people who get carsick as passengers typically don't while driving.

Also, the "can't talk while driving" bit was denied by BBC.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

scuz posted:

...is a strong suggestion that nobody at the BBC Knows What They're Doing...

This is actually true though which is why they pay a whole stack of execs ridiculous money and still the only fantastic stuff they produce is the David Attenborough documentaries.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

88h88 posted:

It's like people haven't realised that journos are often just people with degrees in writing and a passing interest in a subject.

I am living proof of that.

quote:

if you were paid to write words about cars wouldn't you drive like a complete arsehole?

No, i don't believe that's true. I may well be an outlier though.

quote:

The fastest car in the world is a rental car and all that...

The thing is, most press fleets are managed by one of two companies (FMI and ESI) and you better believe they keep notes on who's driven what and the condition we hand those cars back in. The trouble is if you work for an important enough publication (like C&D, R&D, etc) then they're still going to give you the cars even if you hand them back with tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Koirhor posted:

As I'm based in DC this is a real problem for me, since all the good driving roads are down in VA. :(

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

As I'm based in DC this is a real problem for me, since all the good driving roads are down in VA. :(

Joplin Rd through Prince William Forrest Park for example.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Never believe anything you hear from un-name sources when it's about Top Gear.

The usual suspects (Daily Fail, Murdoch press etc) hate the BBC and will always try to put the boot in whenever they can even making up stories while the likes of the Guardian hate Top Gear because of cars so will publish anything they can because cars are bad mmmkay.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

meatpimp posted:

Chris Evans can't talk while driving and gets car sick... perfect Top Gear host!

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/18/top-gear-host-chris-evans-suffers-from-car-sickness-whilst-filming-top-gear-5628926/(from Facebook AI)

Of all the reasons to hate on Chris Evans, this one's a bit weird, not least since Clarkson made himself sick driving a Subaru around in circles in one of the early series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

chutwig posted:

Of all the reasons to hate on Chris Evans, this one's a bit weird, not least since Clarkson made himself sick driving a Subaru around in circles in one of the early series.

Clarkson was driving in circles. Chris Evans got sick because he drove too fast.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Cojawfee posted:

Clarkson was driving in circles. Chris Evans got sick because he drove too fast.

Article said he was a passenger, not driving.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Jealous Cow posted:

Joplin Rd through Prince William Forrest Park for example.

Will have to check that out. Had a magnificent drive through the George Washington National Forest earlier this year in an R8, would love to do that again but most of the supercars we've had to review have had mileage limits that prevent me getting that far out.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
clarkson hurt himself driving a GT-R because he's old and fat

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The Top Gear hole is becoming too much I need more car shows that are not Roadkill!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BBC has a new series of James May's Cars of the People.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06z98lc/james-mays-cars-of-the-people-series-2-episode-1

In it, James May suggests we get rid of the Morris Minor as a symbol of britishness. He compares it to a popular television show, getting rid of it would hurt at first, then everyone would get over it...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

James May says it's all bullshit promo-feed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3417561/James-says-believes-Chris-Evans-FAKING-Gear-production-woes.html

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06z98lc/james-mays-cars-of-the-people-series-2-episode-1

In it, James May suggests we get rid of the Morris Minor as a symbol of britishness. He compares it to a popular television show, getting rid of it would hurt at first, then everyone would get over it...

gently caress yes. I loved the first series.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Really if there is any car that denotes Britishness anyways it would be the Austin 7

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

RaceyBucket posted:

The Top Gear hole is becoming too much I need more car shows that are not Roadkill!

We just need more Roadkill!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

djdanno13 posted:

Really if there is any car that denotes Britishness anyways it would be the Austin 7

James May agrees. Watch it!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Yesssss. I love May's shows, but this is one of the best.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Episode 2 is about 4x4s and is great. Those who've seen it...when he lists various rally stars who have won in the Audi Quattro, was one of them TV's Oz Clarke?

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Ola posted:

Episode 2 is about 4x4s and is great. Those who've seen it...when he lists various rally stars who have won in the Audi Quattro, was one of them TV's Oz Clarke?

I missed that. I will have to rewatch that episode (poor me). I love whenever James brings up Oz Clark off the television!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Definitely sounds like he says Oz Clarke. A cursory glance at who drove the the Audi Quattro, I can't find anyone whose name sounds like Oz Clarke. Maybe it was just a joke.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

He ended the episode in a vineyard as well, so it makes sense. What a random and hilarious thing to do. I'd like to see Oz' face as passenger in a furiously rallying Quattro.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Ola posted:

He ended the episode in a vineyard as well, so it makes sense. What a random and hilarious thing to do. I'd like to see Oz' face as passenger in a furiously rallying Quattro.

Na, at the end in the vineyard you see a drunk Oz stumbling threw the grapes drinking straight from a wine bottle.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

This is a good series, thanks for the link.

Now I need to find and watch season 1...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you want more James May, make sure you also check out Man Lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Ola posted:

He ended the episode in a vineyard as well, so it makes sense.
"Mmmm... fruit!" is a call back to their first wine series.

Ola posted:

I'd like to see Oz' face as passenger in a furiously rallying Quattro.

Pictured: Rally Legend Oz Clarke