Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Shuka posted:

It was mentioned earlier that soloing easy and normal mode was not very rewarding, i just wanted to say that the bots are better than 90% of players when i crank out hardmode missions. That is not hyperbole or exaggeration, the bots are much better teamates to have than 9/10 pubbies

Edit - they just dont do jumping, if you try any shortcuts that require "platforming" the bots cant do that. Otherwise thy are 10x better than most players

The bots are actually quite amazing at melee combat, will be able to tank & kill large hordes without taking much damage at all. They mainly need help dealing with some specials, and are really dumb with some events. So think of them as 3 idiot-savant bodyguards that can't do much without your guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Skandranon posted:

The bots are actually quite amazing at melee combat, will be able to tank & kill large hordes without taking much damage at all. They mainly need help dealing with some specials, and are really dumb with some events. So think of them as 3 idiot-savant bodyguards that can't do much without your guidance.

Wolves hunt in packs, Arisen.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Haha yeah, and thats why they are so good. The number one best tactic is to stay inside the rest of the team. Sticking together isnt good enough because you will drift apart and even being 1 room away from the group can get you split off by the horde.

So many times some pubbie in the teens or early 20's joins a group and thinks its ok to split up and explore the map. No. Never.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The bots seem to follow a simple block-then-attack pattern, which is simple but very effective for their longevity. It's a very inefficient way to kill Stormvermin, but that's your job anyway.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

On the other hand, if you ever get hooked, the entire mission is done for.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

my gawd the bots suck so hard!!! every time i come here to read the new posts theres always some goon talking about how he plays with bots and the bots do this and that

bots suck play with real players for fucks sake!!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Weird, when I come in I see people posting about players do this and that and players suck so hard.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You can plan around the specific ways the bots suck. They suck predictably. Other players, though, are so much more inventive about it.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Playing solo you have to shut down the entire mission if a Ratling Gunner ever spawns anywhere in the map until it is dead, or the bots will malfunction and you'll turn around to find they are miles away standing behind a bookshelf.

Also when you're passing a gate, like a one-way ramp into an event, you have to make sure there are no specials around as sometimes you have to run a certain distance to make the bots pass the ramp - meaning if you get pounced at the wrong time the bots will watch emotionlessly as you die.

Basically they're both fine and the worst bots in any game ever, at the same time.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Also when you're passing a gate, like a one-way ramp into an event, you have to make sure there are no specials around as sometimes you have to run a certain distance to make the bots pass the ramp - meaning if you get pounced at the wrong time the bots will watch emotionlessly as you die.

Elf player spotted. Working as intended.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I really like it when someone plays empire soldier using a weapon with extra powerful pushes. Bowling for skaven never felt so real.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The bots are fearless and inspirational. If they're letting you down, it's not because they're not playing enough like you, it's because you're not playing enough like the bots. Get on their level and learn to solo an entire horde in the open with no damage before backtracking across the whole level to look for a gunner that may or may not exist.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Elf player spotted. Working as intended.

Checks out, only elf players die.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I apologize in advance but I simply have to sperg about numbers in this game. I just got a mace for my soldier that says that it restores 5 health with a 3-10% chance for each hit and I'm wondering what that means exactly. Does that mean that every time I hit, the game first randomly generates a number between 3 and 10 to determine the probability and then randomly generates another number to decide whether I've hit or not? Seems kind of needlessly complicated when they could just roll one number to decide wheter I hit or not. Even if they roll two numbers it would have been simpler and easier to understand if they had just told me I have a 6.5% chance or something like that. Well, that's my :spergin: for today, now I'm gonna look at some trains to calm myself down.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you need to unlock the trait, and it gives you a proc chance within the % range

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

KonvexKonkav posted:

I apologize in advance but I simply have to sperg about numbers in this game. I just got a mace for my soldier that says that it restores 5 health with a 3-10% chance for each hit and I'm wondering what that means exactly. Does that mean that every time I hit, the game first randomly generates a number between 3 and 10 to determine the probability and then randomly generates another number to decide whether I've hit or not? Seems kind of needlessly complicated when they could just roll one number to decide wheter I hit or not. Even if they roll two numbers it would have been simpler and easier to understand if they had just told me I have a 6.5% chance or something like that. Well, that's my :spergin: for today, now I'm gonna look at some trains to calm myself down.

Specifically, when you spend some shiny stones to unlock the trait, it will do the first thing you mentioned (roll between 3-10%) and lock in that value. When you use it, it will then use that fixed value to determine if you get that bonus health on each hit.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
As long as we're asking questions about on hit, is that a chance per rat hit, or one chance per swing?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

As long as we're asking questions about on hit, is that a chance per rat hit, or one chance per swing?

The text says "hit", which makes sense because otherwise you'd have infinite health for pratically no risk: just never not be swinging.

e: Oh, I see what you mean.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 16, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It's chance per rat hit, so for example, 2h weapons with large sweeps can benefit hugely from such traits.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So (advance apologies as I am an elfy bitch) does anyone know how the killing blow and the headshot traits work wrt damage numbers? I ask because I put up like 200% "damage" relative to other dps dudes in a given game, and although I'll generally have more kills, it's not THAT many more. Strictly vanity stats I just don't know how I end up with 3900 when the next (equally good, my buddy) player down has 1900 or so.

Does a one hit kill do like a zillion extra damage to hammer it home or something?

Also who's playing as BURL IVES MATTERS? haha you are an old bf3 goon I can't keep track of your name changes because they're all hilarious. Hit up Pounds Spergling some time my dude.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
damage can get very wonky since you can do more damage than things have health. i run around with an orange blunderbus and often get around 5k damage.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

whitey delenda est posted:

So (advance apologies as I am an elfy bitch) does anyone know how the killing blow and the headshot traits work wrt damage numbers? I ask because I put up like 200% "damage" relative to other dps dudes in a given game, and although I'll generally have more kills, it's not THAT many more. Strictly vanity stats I just don't know how I end up with 3900 when the next (equally good, my buddy) player down has 1900 or so.

Does a one hit kill do like a zillion extra damage to hammer it home or something?

Also who's playing as BURL IVES MATTERS? haha you are an old bf3 goon I can't keep track of your name changes because they're all hilarious. Hit up Pounds Spergling some time my dude.

I believe Killing Blow does exactly the full health of the target, not the remaining. So if you manage to one shot a tank, yeah, you get a ton of damage points.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Damage seems to be such a useless metric in this. The more granular your damage, the lower on the list you are, even if you lead in kills.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Damage seems to be such a useless metric in this. The more granular your damage, the lower on the list you are, even if you lead in kills.

Yeah also if what Skandranon says is true, if you're playing with killing blow (and who wouldn't) in a fast-attack weapon you'll probably get way overblown numbers. Which is why I came to ask, because now I can definitely troll my friends and say that I'm using some secret techniques and combos.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

whitey delenda est posted:

:whatup: xbros representin

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 16, 2016

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

The Goonintide steam group is a bit odd. Every time people post in the thread, they just say "Join up!" Every time I join someone's game when they're online, they are just in the Inn (alone), and promptly log off without a response of any sort. Am I just joining the wrong goons or something..? When the hell are goons on to actually play instead of mutely fiddle at the forge before logging on joiners?I want to play more Nightmare+ and get some Exotics, but every pubbie group shits the bed upon getting a second Grimoire. Help!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Syrnn posted:

The Goonintide steam group is a bit odd. Every time people post in the thread, they just say "Join up!" Every time I join someone's game when they're online, they are just in the Inn (alone), and promptly log off without a response of any sort. Am I just joining the wrong goons or something..? When the hell are goons on to actually play instead of mutely fiddle at the forge before logging on joiners?I want to play more Nightmare+ and get some Exotics, but every pubbie group shits the bed upon getting a second Grimoire. Help!

Those people alone in the inn are just masturbating over the elf and feel super shameful about the fact you caught them

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

goontide steam group you say... thats interesting i'll click on that later today

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I need goons for a nightmare clear of Supply and Demand. It's the last nightmare I need but hardly anyone plays it and the pubstove is still hot. Got to four of five bags yesterday but our wizard crashed and then a joiner robbed us of even a bot by loading in at a crucial moment. It's not like they could have known but it really hosed us.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I need goons for a nightmare clear of Supply and Demand. It's the last nightmare I need but hardly anyone plays it and the pubstove is still hot. Got to four of five bags yesterday but our wizard crashed and then a joiner robbed us of even a bot by loading in at a crucial moment. It's not like they could have known but it really hosed us.

I'd super be in but I'm out most of today.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Two orange handguns for Dorf:

Scavenger, Bloodlust, Skirmisher
or
Skullcracker, Ammunition Holder, Knockback

Which would you pick?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Two orange handguns for Dorf:

Scavenger, Bloodlust, Skirmisher
or

Which would you pick?

Scavenger is almost useless on ranged weapons, really just counts as a crappy version of Ammunition Holder (14% more ammo instead of 30%). Same with Bloodlust, you have maybe 30 shots, at 10% you get 3 procs out of all your ammo, not that great. Skullcracker & Knockback will save your rear end plenty more times.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 18, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Depending on damage breakpoints, I'd be tempted to take a master crafted green over either, and would nearly always take a master crafted/rupture blue.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm mostly using the red Drakefires but I want to keep a handgun around.

In other news, beat my last Nightmare just a moment ago. That fourth banner in my hall looks mighty nice. Of course now I need goons for cataclysm.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 18, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Depending on damage breakpoints, I'd be tempted to take a master crafted green over either, and would nearly always take a master crafted/rupture blue.

Agreed, Master Crafted on a handgun really trumps everything else. Ammunition holder is probably 2nd best, and everything else is either 3rd or pure trash.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Agreed, Master Crafted on a handgun really trumps everything else. Ammunition holder is probably 2nd best, and everything else is either 3rd or pure trash.

Do blues and higher get natural punch through? Because reliably being able to shoot the hook rat through the elf or not have a slave rat catch a stormvermin's bullet is real nice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes, the blue and orange handgun and repeater handgun have unlisted penetration. Probably the biggest advantage the repeater handgun has over the brace of pistols.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Digirat posted:

Yes, the blue and orange handgun and repeater handgun have unlisted penetration. Probably the biggest advantage the repeater handgun has over the brace of pistols.

I still think armor penetration is far more important than "shoot through guy" penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Good thing the repeater rifle and handgun have that too

• Locked thread