Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

People who use crystals to grind gear are fools opening packs is super fun, I got a 4-star maul from one Friday and use him to demolish any Lumi / JC teams, crazy fun. Used another 350 on a pack today and now I only need 15 more impossible Leia shards to get to 3 stars! Wee!

Seriously though, for a game that has little to no "win condition" opening packs and finding new characters to play with is half the fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Gonna be a lot of fun in a few levels when your 4* slow no hp maul gets 1 shot by a 7* anybody.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Tom Tucker posted:

People who use crystals to grind gear are fools opening packs is super fun, I got a 4-star maul from one Friday and use him to demolish any Lumi / JC teams, crazy fun. Used another 350 on a pack today and now I only need 15 more impossible Leia shards to get to 3 stars! Wee!

Seriously though, for a game that has little to no "win condition" opening packs and finding new characters to play with is half the fun for me.

I agree with this in theory, packs are fun in concept, except most of the cool guys you can get from packs can't do anything in Arena or GW or ANYTHING competitive unless you open crazy more packs to make them usable. And then, you have to grind gear for them anyway because if you don't, once again they are useless.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I bought two 8 packs near when I started the game and got Han and Teebo and shards for a bunch of one star dudes. gently caress packs.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Jibo posted:

I bought two 8 packs near when I started the game and got Han and Teebo and shards for a bunch of one star dudes. gently caress packs.

What is the best way to level up characters if not through packs? You need 50+ shards to level up anything. I get that this is a timesink grindfest, but how does anyone unlock anything without paying out the nose?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hellburger99 posted:

What is the best way to level up characters if not through packs? You need 50+ shards to level up anything. I get that this is a timesink grindfest, but how does anyone unlock anything without paying out the nose?

Cantina, Arena, and GW all provide currencies which you can use to 7 star several very powerful heroes for free.

Luminara, Poe, Phasma, Sidious, Daka, all farmable to max without spending a dime.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hellburger99 posted:

Arena will generally give you 10 shards/day and GW 15 shards/day. Cantina will give you... 3-5 shards + 5 shards from the Cantina tokens/day, move that up to 10 shards/day from tokens if you spend 100 crystals (which you can do without spending money). And then there's the ordinary energy which will get you anywhere between on average... 2-3 shards per character and day if they have two Hard grinding spots, although you are limited to maybe... 5-6 characters to grind this way due to energy costs.

Do all this every day and the currency you can buy Bronzium cards for will generally net you a character or two per week too (but perhaps not 4 star and sometimes duplicate that turns into extra shards).

Current Bronze tally after a month is:
4 star Windu
4 star Scooby'ruu
2 star Ewok... twice
3 star Jawa
1-2 star Royal Guard twice.
A couple dozen shards in (1) dribblets for various characters.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 18, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

And how is your gear situation for your main team if you aren't spending those crystals on energy for gear?

Edit: Congratulations everyone on your 1 3* training droid today! Use it well!

Zotix fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 18, 2016

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So when you activate a hero for the first time can it be anywhere between 1 and 7 stars?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Philosopher King posted:

So when you activate a hero for the first time can it be anywhere between 1 and 7 stars?

No they'll always be at the same star rating when they activate, its just dependent on how many shards it takes to activate them and each character has a set tier.

If they take 50 shards they'll be 3*, if they take 80 shards they'll be 4* (50 + the 30 to make it to 5)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Zotix posted:

And how is your gear situation for your main team if you aren't spending those crystals on energy for gear?

Edit: Congratulations everyone on your 1 3* training droid today! Use it well!

The login "rewards" really makes me laugh. 10*** t droids would have been a joke for anyone thats been logging in this long, 1? :wtc:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Most games do login rewards poorly because they're catered to brand new players. They either need to make them last longer (like a year long login calendar so the rewards get progressively better) or give a separate set of rewards depending on your account level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Metos posted:

No they'll always be at the same star rating when they activate, its just dependent on how many shards it takes to activate them and each character has a set tier.

If they take 50 shards they'll be 3*, if they take 80 shards they'll be 4* (50 + the 30 to make it to 5)

They always display 1 on the pop-up though, don't listen to that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

Arena will generally give you 10 shards/day and GW 15 shards/day. Cantina will give you... 3-5 shards + 5 shards from the Cantina tokens/day, move that up to 10 shards/day from tokens if you spend 100 crystals (which you can do without spending money). And then there's the ordinary energy which will get you anywhere between on average... 2-3 shards per character and day if they have two Hard grinding spots, although you are limited to maybe... 5-6 characters to grind this way due to energy costs.

Do all this every day and the currency you can buy Bronzium cards for will generally net you a character or two per week too (but perhaps not 4 star and sometimes duplicate that turns into extra shards).

Current Bronze tally after a month is:
4 star Windu
4 star Scooby'ruu
2 star Ewok... twice
3 star Jawa
1-2 star Royal Guard twice.
A couple dozen shards in (1) dribblets for various characters.

gently caress your luck, I've only ever gotten Tebow and I've officially been playing for a month now.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've seen a couple others here get 1-2x4 stars during this time, so it's not entirely uncommon. Should probably not count on lucky bronze pulls for anything useful though.
Obviously if you are pulling 8-10 cards per day the odds of getting... something goes up (I think I might even have gotten a Leia shard or two, yay) and once I dreamt I unlocked a 6 star Obi-Wan through bronzium, instead I got a 3 star Jawa :toot:
I don't really use any of those Bronze characters, the 4 star ones makes it to my C-D teams in GW at best. They are handy for filling out challenge rosters, but not exactly top tier characters and you can't afford to drop the necessary gear or training droids on them to "test them out" either (and once you hit the 5-6 star area, it becomes even harder to evaluate them fairly). But who knows, maybe they'll drop a balancing patch and tweak a bunch of characters and those characters might be good to have around, they've shown they aren't unwilling to do so (Asajj, Coffee being the most cited examples) :iiam:

As for login rewards, I think the issue is mostly that they aren't even good for a complete newbie (and not that he'd be getting that mighty 3 star T droid in any timespan that made sense anyhow). Other games does this much better.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The free poo poo they give you in this game is horseshit and will absolutely be tweeked, it's just a matter of time.

I'm also playing Star Trek Timelines. They give you free characters every few days. 10 days of loggin' in? Free purple character. And the whole month is just that character over and over so you can keep upgrading them.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pimpmust posted:

They are handy for filling out challenge rosters, but not exactly top tier characters and you can't afford to drop the necessary gear or training droids on them to "test them out" either (and once you hit the 5-6 star area, it becomes even harder to evaluate them fairly).

This is my biggest issue with the game - instead of trying out different characters and bulding fun teams you have to funnel everything to your Sid/Phasma/whatnot because other characters are either useless (hello Mob Enforcer), only farmable via chromium - or potentially fun, but how to find out when it takes so much resources to bring them up to par...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not really true you can't do Arena and GW to good enough levels with a bunch of 4 star Chromium pulls.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Aphrodite posted:

It's not really true you can't do Arena and GW to good enough levels with a bunch of 4 star Chromium pulls.

Yes, I've bought 8 pulls of Chromium every time I have enough and I'm still having fun. I still complete GW most every day I try it aside from some bullshit matchups I occasionally get (10 levels higher? get the gently caress out).

Today I managed to 3* my Kit Fisto who was competitive at 2*, got Leia and an extra 20 shards for her, got Qui Gon and an extra 20 shards for him also, and some assorted shards for other characters I'm using.

It might not be "optimal" but it's more fun IMO.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

State of the Galactic War:

(Note: I am on a fairly easy going server that isn’t obsessed with Rey/FoTP, and we’ve only just hit 60-61)

Winning the GW is important. Assuming you spend your free crystals on energy refreshes, at endgame you’re hungry for three things: Credits, Character shards, and Upgrade materials. GW fixes all of these.

On my most recent full completion I acquired: 450kcreds, 3 T3 upgrades, 1200 GWbux. Oh, and 25 ***(or higher) droids.

My team: 6* Sid, 6* Lumi, 5* Daka, 5* Phasma, 4* Resistance Trooper (that took forever)

Healing and Abilities
And it’s not about winning battles, it’s about winning The War. The trick is to cycle cooldowns. It’s not enough to win a battle, you need to win and be ready for the next one. I try to always be topped up on health, and aim to have one of my healers ready to heal at the beginning of each fight. First round of AoEs takes me down, healer gets me back up: by the end of the fight the other healer is ready to go if need be. I don’t think I could do this with one healer.

If I can’t win well enough, I retreat or Force-Quit.

B-teams and C-teams
Throw-away teams still work! You can still throw units at an enemy squad to soak up their taunts, but you gotta commit. Try to focus on sniping one character, and realize the entire B-team will die. No more keeping Phasma on all squads, your B-team needs to be its own thing.. My B-Team is Luke, IG-86, Talia, Chewie, and Kylo. They run in, try to Healing Debuff someone, and focus fire them down as they all die horribly. Then my A-team comes in and mops up.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

As an aside, DS Hard 5-A is complete bullshit.

I have become Chewbacca, Destroyer of Worlds. He's, like, speed 140 and self-heals for 16,000. And resists basically everything.

Welp.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Mile'ionaha posted:

I have become Chewbacca, Destroyer of Worlds. He's, like, speed 140 and self-heals for 16,000. And resists basically everything.

Welp.

The scariest guy to face in a DS hard level is a boss Dooku. I have, no poo poo, had my entire full health A-team taken apart by him single-handedly. He has enough health that you're going to be hitting him for like 5 full rounds and every. single. attack. will prompt a counter-attack. Sometimes a bonus-turn counter. Not to mention him getting bonus turns roughly 50% of the time normally, plus his gently caress you lightning.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mile'ionaha posted:

Welp.

I 3*ed it the first time but felt lucky. Kylo/Sid kept the no heal up a lot and daka constantly stunning, and still some cycles he'd gain health instead of lose it.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Mile'ionaha posted:

Welp.

Sid will deal with that self heal right quick. Assuming it procs, loving RNG.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Canemacar posted:

The scariest guy to face in a DS hard level is a boss Dooku. I have, no poo poo, had my entire full health A-team taken apart by him single-handedly. He has enough health that you're going to be hitting him for like 5 full rounds and every. single. attack. will prompt a counter-attack. Sometimes a bonus-turn counter. Not to mention him getting bonus turns roughly 50% of the time normally, plus his gently caress you lightning.
Don't save him for last, hit him with every full-health character you've got and use your heal(s) on cooldown. It's when you have no choice but to suicide your Talia/Daka with heal on 1-turn CD that he does anything scary. Daka also helps by stunning him but IIRC he's tenacious like a boss.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mile'ionaha posted:

Welp.

5B is worse, Jedi Luke is a one-man wrecking crew. Good news is the rest of Hard 5 is easy compared to those two. Then 6A-6B Hard........ :negative:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

oops wrong forum posted:

5B is worse, Jedi Luke is a one-man wrecking crew. Good news is the rest of Hard 5 is easy compared to those two. Then 6A-6B Hard........ :negative:

So what are Jedi Luke's abilities? I'm planning to snap him up the moment he gets released just for fanboy reasons, but it would be cool if he was also an rear end kicker.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Canemacar posted:

So what are Jedi Luke's abilities? I'm planning to snap him up the moment he gets released just for fanboy reasons, but it would be cool if he was also an rear end kicker.

there is a datamine out there that has his info, but I know for sure he can Crit up Damage up Evasion Up

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

oops wrong forum posted:

Just finished that fight. He murdered two of my crew and Daka got them back on their feet before we finished the fight. He loves hitting for 6000 and critting for over 8000.

Re:Revives,
Can confirm it said 1 Star when I finished, but says 3 Star on the stage-select screen.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Malgrin posted:

Because I really enjoy this game, I decided to play through this game on a second account while writing this guide. As of posting this guide, I have had this account for 3 1/2 days. I'm level 36, have 10 heroes (5 light/dark) at level 36, and I'm between rank 100 and 200 in arena, and STILL have more power than those around me. The top players in this group are at level 38, and they've spent money (although not that much, or are absurdly lucky - 4* Ima-Gun di, 3* IG-88, 4* Anakin, 4* HK-47, 4* Obi-Wan, etc). Basically, what I'm saying here is that you can get pretty far without spending money.

I'm at 6 days in now with my second account, and I'm probably going to stop once I hit 7, but I just wanted to see how far I could get completely F2P in one week. I've followed the guide from the above post 100%, so, here's how it's working.
First, starting this game late is actually a good thing, overall. It means you have a lot of catchup, but you're going to be WAY better off in arena, which means a lot more crystals for you. I just hit level 40, and I've been able to make top 20 two days in a row. Going for a third today (maybe even top 10?).

I completed GW today in 30 minutes today, and it was the first day it was accessible. I lost no heroes, except I did have to retreat twice (total) to prevent lost heroes, although I think I lost one in the final battle too.

I'm still at 10 heroes, all pretty basic ones, but I'm at 30/50 for Luke, and 25/50 for Poe. I've also got 10 shards for Lumi, and could unlock her in the next 1-2 days.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
11 out of 12 physicians agree I have a large penis.
Sorry I'm not as active on SomethingAwful here guys I stay in the Discord chat a lot to discuss this game so I forget about the forum. I've updated the OP with Malgrin's info. If someone would like to take over the OP let me know and I will close it and let you guys decide on a new one you can PM me and I will update as we go along.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I ground out Kylo Ren as I thought he'd be a good swap out for Resistance Trooper or if not him then maybe Sid from my lineup of Phasma, Sid, Lumi, Daka and RT. After levelling him up to 58, upgrading his skills, and gearing him up to the one below epic, I was pretty disappointed when his basic attack was hitting for 750 in the same fight my level 52 one gear tier higher Sid was basic hitting for 1200+ with a better chance of healing immunity.

Then Kylo got smacked in the face with a 6.5k force push from Lumi and still stood there alive when RT would've been one shot, and then I hit Outrage (the +75% damage if <50% skill). That was some pretty good numbers.

Still definitely far less damage output than with RT who moves much faster, procs expose and speeds himself up etc, but now I have better reliability I think with Kylo's health/armour pool and another heal immunity. The fact Kylo is first order also means more Phasma assists, but the fact that they can't call in RT if he's not in the team is a bit sad as that was amazing, but I can't find a way to fit in both RT along with Kylo and Phasma for more first order proc shenanigans without removing Sid or Daka, and screw that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Finally sniped my way back into the top 50.

My Arena server sucks. Worst part is all of the Mol Eliza's I have to overcome just to hit 50+.

Sidious just hit purple gear tonight and I'm going to 6-star Lumi and Sid tomorrow, so I'm about to get a decent power bump. Maybe bitches will stop sniping me back to 89 every day.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Metos posted:

I ground out Kylo Ren as I thought he'd be a good swap out for Resistance Trooper or if not him then maybe Sid from my lineup of Phasma, Sid, Lumi, Daka and RT. After levelling him up to 58, upgrading his skills, and gearing him up to the one below epic, I was pretty disappointed when his basic attack was hitting for 750 in the same fight my level 52 one gear tier higher Sid was basic hitting for 1200+ with a better chance of healing immunity.

Then Kylo got smacked in the face with a 6.5k force push from Lumi and still stood there alive when RT would've been one shot, and then I hit Outrage (the +75% damage if <50% skill). That was some pretty good numbers.

Still definitely far less damage output than with RT who moves much faster, procs expose and speeds himself up etc, but now I have better reliability I think with Kylo's health/armour pool and another heal immunity. The fact Kylo is first order also means more Phasma assists, but the fact that they can't call in RT if he's not in the team is a bit sad as that was amazing, but I can't find a way to fit in both RT along with Kylo and Phasma for more first order proc shenanigans without removing Sid or Daka, and screw that.

I have an identical setup except FOTP instead of RT. I got rid of Daka because she was getting two shot even though she's 6*, and I'd rather have someone that can kill the opposing Sid/Dooku before going down.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
So I'm level 49. The noteworthy dudes I have are: Lumi (4.5), Sid (4.5), Luke (4), JC (4), Phasma (4), Chewie (4), RT (3), Talia (3)

I'm buying Sid shards as I get arena points, and working on getting Lumi to 5 with GW Points. Is that the right call? I only have one guy at gear level 5.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Metos posted:

To me kylos strength is that he does a bit of everything. Double chance of Phasma damage, good single target damage with a dot and healing immunity, AE with 100% return attack, 9200pt crits when low health, and he can do each of those each turn when facing an AE team. I'm on like 10th straight day of #1 running 7sid, lumi, 6 JC/kylo, 5 Phasma.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Holy God this game is so hosed. I can't imagine all the balancing that's gotta be done behind the scenes. I sure hope to God they are working on it. Or have at least started because there's a lot of work to be done. I honestly think the only stats working right are hit points and speed. There's no rhyme or reason why one attacker is hitting 3x harder than another. Especially when the weaker one has higher str/ agility and physical damage. Why the gently caress are pilots doing 7-8k damage when I have a 6* cad bane that has the second highest physical attack in the game and he's doing 2k. It makes no sense.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Munkaboo posted:

So I'm level 49. The noteworthy dudes I have are: Lumi (4.5), Sid (4.5), Luke (4), JC (4), Phasma (4), Chewie (4), RT (3), Talia (3)

I'm buying Sid shards as I get arena points, and working on getting Lumi to 5 with GW Points. Is that the right call? I only have one guy at gear level 5.

You're on the right track!

Spend your Cantina marks on Daka/Poe, whichever one you like the idea of more. Daka will help progress your dark-side battles, whereas Poe is probably the best arena tank.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

To me kylos strength is that he does a bit of everything. Double chance of Phasma damage, good single target damage with a dot and healing immunity, AE with 100% return attack, 9200pt crits when low health, and he can do each of those each turn when facing an AE team. I'm on like 10th straight day of #1 running 7sid, lumi, 6 JC/kylo, 5 Phasma.

So wtf, I gotta farm Kylo in Cantina battles now? Eat poo poo, game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

So wtf, I gotta farm Kylo in Cantina battles now? Eat poo poo, game!

Or e-mail CG and see if they'll retroactively let you buy the $100 pack for him ;) (which looking back on it isn't as bad of a deal when you factor in the amount of time/crystals you need to farm him!) Kylo is good, but I will say he's much less effective on Defense if that matters at all to you. Treat him like a tank and don't touch him until the end.

• Locked thread