Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Not sure what the ideal strategy for the Swine God is. Unlike the earlier forms, Wilbur completely fucks you over with constant AOE stuns that lock down half your party each turn. My only guess would be an arbalest throwing a flare too remove the stun with guys decked out in protection gear up front. Not exactly eager too try again though after losing a champion bounty hunter.

Gabriel Pope posted:

:stare: Those smiles are pretty fuckin creepy. Wasn't sure what I was expecting from the Darkest Dungeon but I don't think it was that.

They're just having a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so, uh, midnight tonight or tomorrow afternoon?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
"Now, like me, YOU ARE A PART OF THIS PLACE."

Maybe we're going to learn why the dead-guy is narrating.

Or maybe dying in the estate traps your soul to fuel some eldritch horror's ascent, or something.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

Not sure what the ideal strategy for the Swine God is. Unlike the earlier forms, Wilbur completely fucks you over with constant AOE stuns that lock down half your party each turn. My only guess would be an arbalest throwing a flare too remove the stun with guys decked out in protection gear up front. Not exactly eager too try again though after losing a champion bounty hunter.

A good party is Arbalest, Occultist, Houndmaster, Bounty Hunter. Occultist marks, heals, and weakens if he has a spare turn, Arbalest clears stuns and marks if necessary, Houndmaster and Bounty hunter capitalize on the marks and just go to town. Houndmaster and Bounty Hunter can provide a backup source of mark if the Occultist is busy healing or if you want the Occultist to focus on weakening curse instead.

Houndmaster isn't strictly necessary since the boss doesn't have any protection, but you may have trouble in fights getting TO the boss if you bring two bounty hunters. You'll be short on back-row damage.

Try to give speed + stun resist to the Arbalest so she can keep the rest of the team rolling. The Swine God only has 2 speed so you should be able to get in front of him 100% of the time if you get her at 10 speed or higher. Marching Plan can help. You may want to skip Restring Crossbow since she won't be attacking very often. You can give extra damage to your bounty hunter with the Occultist instead.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I can't believe I finally get to play this game tomorrow. The wait has been so long :unsmith:.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crasical posted:

"Now, like me, YOU ARE A PART OF THIS PLACE."

Maybe we're going to learn why the dead-guy is narrating.

Or maybe dying in the estate traps your soul to fuel some eldritch horror's ascent, or something.

ive been assuming the ancestor is dead, a ghost, your dad, and the final boss for over a year now, in that order.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Ancestor's Letter / Voice is a forgery / ventriloquism by Reynauld so he can steal your family's stuff.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if i rename solo to dirge and give it a mark effect, would that be too ridiculous? im trying to salvage this dead gay class

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I played one binge of this some time after EA release to assure myself my backing had been well placed, and boy had it.

Can't wait to play the release version, let's see if I can top party wiping in the tutorial dungeon :allears:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Doctor Schnabel posted:

if i rename solo to dirge and give it a mark effect, would that be too ridiculous? im trying to salvage this dead gay class

Marks are not generally that strong, jesters are awful, and setting up marks for teammates seems to fit the jester's supposed role. I'd say go for it. (I may have to steal this idea if I ever get into modding DD, too.)

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the jester is fine in the sense that SOMEBODY has to do the most abysmal damage while not also having heals.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the basic concept of jester was 'sub par fighter in exchange for extremely good camp guy' but he's not super great at camp either. maybe he should give extra respite points or something.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So... when should I upgrade my dudes and their gear? I think I got all the way to medium dungeons on the shittiest gear and am not sure if I want to upgrade now in fear of them dying and losing all that cool poo poo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Upgrade now, if you don't you'll die anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor Schnabel posted:

so, uh, midnight tonight or tomorrow afternoon?

The question on everyone's mind

I haven't really played since the first month of Early Access. So, what about these corpses, huh?

More seriously someone explain to me how to play man at arms, houndmaster, and arbalest

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The question on everyone's mind

I haven't really played since the first month of Early Access. So, what about these corpses, huh?

More seriously someone explain to me how to play man at arms, houndmaster, and arbalest
Man at Arms is good for stunning, buffing, and protecting your dudes. I like to use him as a front-liner alternating with a Crusader on the second row: Crusader Holy Lances, Man at Arms Ramparts. Otherwise, Bellow to lower Dodge/Speed and smash faces.

Houndmaster is awesome for marking and bleeding everyone. Don't take him to the Ruins.

Arbalest is... uh. She's good at shooting the rear enemies? I like to take her along as a healer sometimes.

EDIT: Waiting so patiently for the past week for this, and two-and-a-half more weeks until XCOM 2. This is a good start to the year.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 18, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Arbalest is good at sniping frail stress-dealers out of the back row, and synergizes well with a front-row hellion at that. She combines well with Occultists and Houndmasters, especially if you use Unspeakable Commune on the Occultist to ensure he goes first and marks whoever you want dead. Those three together make a solid marking party which doesn't have to rely entirely on the occultist's unreliable healing, and every single party member is capable of attacking the front and back rows. The front party member can be a Hellion for maximum target flexibility, a Crusader if heading to the ruins, a Bounty Hunter if you want even more mark-exploiting potential, or a Man-at-Arms if you want to play more defensively.

This team has no blight/bleed potential, and relies on marks and houndmaster whistles to get the damage needed to overcome heavy protection enemies.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

I can't believe I finally get to play this game tomorrow. The wait has been so long :unsmith:.

Still disappointed that the Merchant class won't be coming out tomorrow :negative:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Olive Branch posted:

Houndmaster is awesome for marking and bleeding everyone. Don't take him to the Ruins.

Arbalest is... uh. She's good at shooting the rear enemies? I like to take her along as a healer sometimes.

EDIT: Waiting so patiently for the past week for this, and two-and-a-half more weeks until XCOM 2. This is a good start to the year.

Oh lord, I forgot about XCOM 2. I wonder if my compy will be able to handle it.

This does look like it will be a good way to wait out the gap till the second Pillars of Eternity expansion comes out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after 80 weeks in-game finally came across The Collector in a short Cove run. Maybe it was just because it was a Level 1 team but he was far easier than I imagined, nothing like how the Shambler is a complete and utter horror to fight. Pretty spooky "Show Collection" flasher move though, lol.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Jesters are kind of fun up until they aren't which happens real quick.

Arbalest can clear Wilbur's mark during the Swine King fight.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Man at arms also has crazy good camp skills. Like +20% dmg, 10 acc, 3% crit to another person for 3 time, where it would be around 5 time for anyone else. His stun and basic attack reach out to rank 3 and can attack from position 3, which makes him really flexible. Guard is great in some situations, and while his buffs are good I don't really use them much. There are some setups to stick him in rank4 and combo guarding+buffs and stuff but I haven't messed with that personally. Usually slapped into position 1 or 2, depending on your other guy.

Houndmaster is basically what the jester wishes he could be. He has a guard (+dodge for himself instead of +prot like MaA), self-heal, stress heal, attack that hits any ranks, a stun, and his marking skill has the only -prot% debuff available. He fits into a ton of setups, but having so many good options can be confusing to figure out what your best choice at any given time is. Usually stick him in spot 2 or 3, depending on if you want access to his stun (spot 2) or stress heal (spot 3).

Arbalest is maybe my favorite rank 4 option. She has the health of a front liner, and really great scaling on her sniper shot. Think of her kind of like a bounty hunter, but her utility helps your team instead of hindering the other team. Stuff like stun/mark clearing, a medium heal. She works great with the occultist, since he usually goes first you can mark->sniper, she can give a guaranteed heal to pull someone off death's door that he lacks. Being able to apply good damage without mark to their back is also nice.

All 3 are in a great spot currently, both from active skills and from camp skills. After using them for a bit it gets hard to use some of the older heroes, who start to feel like they need another balance pass. Like bounty hunter's self buff is +25% damage to size 2 enemies, and arbalest's self buff is like 20% dmg, 10 acc all the time. I think bounty's camp buff takes more camp time as well.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently it's coming out at 10PM PST tomorrow, according to this steam thread.

In related news, it's also coming out at 10AM PST tomorrow, according to this tweet.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 19, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Apparently it's coming out at 10PM PST tomorrow, according to this steam thread.

In related news, it's also coming out at 10AM PST tomorrow, according to this tweet.

Oh Steam Forums. :allears:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MinibarMatchman posted:

after 80 weeks in-game finally came across The Collector in a short Cove run. Maybe it was just because it was a Level 1 team but he was far easier than I imagined, nothing like how the Shambler is a complete and utter horror to fight. Pretty spooky "Show Collection" flasher move though, lol.

I've fought him several times at champ level and haven't found him to be too much of a problem. Depending on party comp I stun or focus down his vestal or MAA summons, ignore the highwaymen and otherwise just burn him down asap. The highwaymen do hit pretty hard so I usually come out of the fight down a few HP but I've yet to retreat or lose anyone to him. The shambler is definitely way harder and I've had to retreat from it a number of times. I did find that Jester-Graverobber-Abomination-Hellion completely curbstomps him though, at least in apprentice level. Jester spams the party buff that boosts speed, Abom transforms and one-shots both summons at once every round with Rake, GR spams Thrown Dagger at the Shambler, debuffing its bleed resist, Hellion spams If It Bleeds. I barely took any damage at all and scored a sweet ancestor trinket that gives 25% virtue chance.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

widespread posted:

Oh Steam Forums. :allears:

Man it better not be 10PM PST, what the hell kind of poo poo is that, that's the 19th for like what, two time zones? Bad enough I won't wake up to the full experience tomorrow and will have to wait until shortly after lunch...

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Man it better not be 10PM PST, what the hell kind of poo poo is that, that's the 19th for like what, two time zones? Bad enough I won't wake up to the full experience tomorrow and will have to wait until shortly after lunch...

The steam forum post has been edited and now says 10 AM PST, so crisis averted?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
whynot change it to 10pm PST on Jan 18 and make everyone happiest

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
IMO someone should make a new thread once this is released tomorrow since I'm sure a lot of people are unaware its finally coming out.

I won't be able to go into the Darkest Dungeon though since I still have a bunch of tier 3 bosses left :(

EDIT: My Vestal has become faithless.

How does that work :psyduck:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 19, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

endolithic posted:

The steam forum post has been edited and now says 10 AM PST, so crisis averted?

Steam Forum still sucks, though. But on the bright side, I feel a bit more adjusted to this game. Far less afflicted people in this run.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

widespread posted:

Steam Forum still sucks, though.

Well it's not like I read anything past the original post. That way lies madness. :v:

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Class change to Heretic.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

... odd. I was all set to take on the Tier 1 Brigand, but for some reason, the game took Reynauld away. Not sure if it's a glitch/bug or what.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

widespread posted:

... odd. I was all set to take on the Tier 1 Brigand, but for some reason, the game took Reynauld away. Not sure if it's a glitch/bug or what.

Was he de-stressing in the abbey or tavern? Sometimes they go on a drunken bender / vision quest / prayer retreat / gambling frenzy / whatever and they don't come home until the next week. Check the newsfeed.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Was he de-stressing in the abbey or tavern? Sometimes they go on a drunken bender / vision quest / prayer retreat / gambling frenzy / whatever and they don't come home until the next week. Check the newsfeed.

No. In fact, it was the exact same team I took for the Tier 1 Hag, which was literally the quest before that. The screen did give me some weird code text, though. Didn't screengrab it. I'll see if I can have it replicated.

EDIT: A screen like this.

Also RIP Tier 1 Hag Killers. Died to the Brigand, whose Matchman I couldn't hit in time.

widespread fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 19, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

widespread posted:

No. In fact, it was the exact same team I took for the Tier 1 Hag, which was literally the quest before that. The screen did give me some weird code text, though. Didn't screengrab it. I'll see if I can have it replicated.

EDIT: A screen like this.

Also RIP Tier 1 Hag Killers. Died to the Brigand, whose Matchman I couldn't hit in time.
That's exactly what happened to me when I took an Occultist to fight the Apprentice Necromancer. I got an error screen that said something akin to "have 3 heroes, should be 4" and he just didn't load in. I bailed on that run, and my Occultist was just fine chilling in the barracks.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Internet Kraken posted:

Easily. She still has the power, but it's not 'faith in a higher power' anymore. The struggle has broken her faith, but not her strength. Expect lots more 'Suffer as I have!' from her from here on.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Easily. She still has the power, but it's not 'faith in a higher power' anymore. The struggle has broken her faith, but not her strength. Expect lots more 'Suffer as I have!' from her from here on.

It would be cool if faithless let religious heroes join a party with the abomination. It's sorta OP but I love little details like that from traits.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Demiurge4 posted:

It would be cool if faithless let religious heroes join a party with the abomination. It's sorta OP but I love little details like that from traits.

Same for God Fearing and excluding. I would like more things to mod the heroes personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Any resources for suggested class compositions for each area, general ideas for what items / quantity to bring to what dungeon