Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Das Butterbrot posted:

no need to do that, just backup copy everything in the game's save directory, then delete it and start anew. when you want to go back to your old save, reverse the process.

But if you do second accounts you can make your own personal minmaxed pawn crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Das Butterbrot posted:

no need to do that, just backup copy everything in the game's save directory, then delete it and start anew. when you want to go back to your old save, reverse the process.
Doesn't that make the old pawn unhirable after your first rest (effectively overwriting it online) until you restore the old save? My way, it remains available for others to use.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hoping my 10-foot-tall battle nun has some presents for me when I get off work. Really happy to see this issue addressed so quickly.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Genocyber posted:

So you try it out and see what happens. A game not spoon feeding you for once is a good thing, dude.

You're a loving retard. There is no noticeable effect to having an item with 8% (trident) equipped.

This game in fact spoon feeds you nearly everything, with NPCs babbling on forever and radar that shows you where everything is. On the other hand, it doesn't explain how ANY of its mechanics work. That is the exact opposite of what a good RPG does.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 18, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

K8.0 posted:

You're a loving retard. There is no noticeable effect to having an item with 8% (trident) equipped.

This game in fact spoon feeds you nearly everything, with NPCs babbling on forever and radar that shows you where everything is. On the other hand, it doesn't explain how ANY of its mechanics work. That is the exact opposite of what a good RPG does.

Good post, mate.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
a few things

someone hire my pawn, he needs to work. he is a lazy piece of poo poo and is good for nothing, but i have good skills on him. I think i hosed up his inclinations when i made him though, i had no idea what that poo poo meant when i started.

I read that you can change inclinations with some potions or something. How and where do I acquire them?

also, I didn't get the 2 perseverance rings until I was lvl 24 or so. Should I just restart and get them at the beginning for a more funner time?

im just going to go through the steam list and add a bunch of people. I've added like 10 people since I posted my username here, but i'm still only getting 2 pawns showing up when I search (2 from friends prior to this).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tabletops posted:

also, I didn't get the 2 perseverance rings until I was lvl 24 or so. Should I just restart and get them at the beginning for a more funner time?

No. It's not a big deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Offkorn posted:

The game does actually tell you it causes curse. It's right there in the description: "Inflicts Curse. Favored by bandits.".

It tells you that skulls inflict Curse, but not what Curse does. To find that out, you either need to be afflicted with Curse yourself and look at your effects panel in your Status screen (where it does tell you), or just look it up online.

K8.0 posted:

In many (but not all) cases, items with resistances (which is what that 8% trident symbol means) will tell you that in their actual, verbal description. That said, it'd be nice to let you do as you can in Dark Souls and press a "help" button, then navigate through the menu highlighting icons to get a little tooltip telling you what the icon means.

As for the constant NPC babble, yeah, pawns ain't never gonna shut up. You can sit your own pawn down and turn down their speech rate, but other people's pawns are out of your control. But also I find pawn chatter kind of endearing, but that's probably just because I'm used to it from having played a shitload of Dragon's Dogma on console already. "Wolves hunt in packs!" is part of the Dragon's Dogma soundtrack to me.

Tabletops posted:

I read that you can change inclinations with some potions or something. How and where do I acquire them?

1. One easy way to change inclinations is to go to an inn and sit down at that special table where you can talk to your pawn. They'll often ask you to choose between two inclinations. Do that a few times and you can adjust them.

2. Nah, absolutely not. Not only are discipline points unaffected by your level, but also there are 200 levels total. At level 24 you're still crazy early in the game, and the vast majority of players won't even have a single Ring of Perseverance yet.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Hire my pawn because he'll throw explosive barrels at ogres

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

As for the constant NPC babble, yeah, pawns ain't never gonna shut up. You can sit your own pawn down and turn down their speech rate, but other people's pawns are out of your control. But also I find pawn chatter kind of endearing, but that's probably just because I'm used to it from having played a shitload of Dragon's Dogma on console already. "Wolves hunt in packs!" is part of the Dragon's Dogma soundtrack to me.

You can disable pawn chatter in the options.

(You shouldn't though)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Got 3 Wyvern's Tears of my first Wyvern kill, can you even gift these away?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Got 3 Wyvern's Tears of my first Wyvern kill, can you even gift these away?

I sure hope so! http://steamcommunity.com/id/kiggles/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

You can disable pawn chatter in the options.

(You shouldn't though)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Probably because I just skimmed over it and thought, "Why would I ever do that?"

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I had a question: I understand that at one point people save-edited their pawns to the hybrid vocations on consoles, and something bad happened as a result.

Could someone tell me what it was?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I made my pawn Repentia super cocky and aggressive when dealing with the enemy but super meek and timid when dealing with the Arisen. You make her nervous.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Haha if a pawn is dying and you use a liftstone, it'll come with you. Good to know.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Harrow posted:

The pawns are charming. Everyone else, I want to loving genocide (and I would, but the game won't let you since it throws you in prison instantly for hitting anyone in Gran Soren). The NPC dialogue is just really bad, they talk and talk and talk and don't say anything meaningful.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stacking five great canons in a ruinous sigil at 60 FPS is a great feeling.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

I had a question: I understand that at one point people save-edited their pawns to the hybrid vocations on consoles, and something bad happened as a result.

Could someone tell me what it was?

Pretty sure it would crash other people's clients. A sanity check was eventually instituted on the console pawn servers. It's probably safe to assume it remains.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
How do I make my fighter pawn actually engage enemies? She has scathe and mitigator but just watches as I get double teamed by warrior bandits.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kiggles posted:

Pretty sure it would crash other people's clients. A sanity check was eventually instituted on the console pawn servers. It's probably safe to assume it remains.

It'd crash other people but not the people who actually edited the save? Now that makes very little sense. Oh well, thought I could do something with that.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Broose doesn't have plat. More to the point, the thread isn't so flooded with posts on release week to make missing people asking for invites an actual problem.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/367500/announcements/detail/711934222335649154

quote:

Hello Arisens -

The Rift gifting/player rating issue that seems to have manifested post launch should now be fixed. The root cause is still unknown, but we can confirm the server side database have gotten corrupted as a result.

Keep in mind that the first couple of trades may not work correctly due to the built in cool-off period, but you should start seeing positive results within 12-24 hours. Please continue renting pawns and resting at the inn as usual and let us know how it's working out for you. Please use the official bug reporting thread if you continue to experience issues.

Meanwhile, the dev team is investigating other client side issues such as the W10 beta infinite loading screen that occurs right before the pre-rendered movie/cutscene. It appears Microsoft is testing a different video codec in the beta build which is causing issues for a handful of our games that rely on WMV codec.

We'll post further status updates on the official Steam forum. Please stay tuned.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

K8.0 posted:

The pawns are charming. Everyone else, I want to loving genocide (and I would, but the game won't let you since it throws you in prison instantly for hitting anyone in Gran Soren). The NPC dialogue is just really bad, they talk and talk and talk and don't say anything meaningful.

Oh yeah, that. I'm probably not noticing it this time because I've played already, so I'm just mashing A through most of the dialogs. I already know where the story gets interesting and I'll enjoy paying attention again, so that's an advantage there.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

So, am I doing this right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, am I doing this right?

I mean, that's how I do it.

Harrow posted:

This is me arriving at Gran Soren atop my noble steed earlier today.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, that. I'm probably not noticing it this time because I've played already, so I'm just mashing A through most of the dialogs. I already know where the story gets interesting and I'll enjoy paying attention again, so that's an advantage there.

The dialogue is good.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

Haha if a pawn is dying and you use a liftstone, it'll come with you. Good to know.
ps: add me, because going from 4mil RC to jack poo poo sucks rear end.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/crosisthepurger/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The dialogue is good.

I'm not a fan of most of it, really, and I say this as someone who loves the faux-old-timey Ivalice translations from FF12 onward.

But also I don't find most of what the NPCs say to be all that interesting until Grigori. I love the pawns, but not just general quest dialog.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Genocyber posted:

The Pawn dialogue is good.

Fixed.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harrow posted:

I'm not a fan of most of it, really, and I say this as someone who loves the faux-old-timey Ivalice translations from FF12 onward.

But also I don't find most of what the NPCs say to be all that interesting until Grigori.

But... But they're masterworks all! You can't go wrong!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

But... But they're masterworks all! You can't go wrong!

I lump store NPC dialog in with pawn dialog, in that I've heard it so much that it's just comforting at this point.

They are masterworks all, Caxton.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
NOW

let us talk of business.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Caxton himself is the true masterwork.

Just lol if he's not your love interest at the end of the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Caxton himself is the true masterwork.

Just lol if he's not your love interest at the end of the game.

Having him not in Gran Soren is annoying.

I usually hit him with a meteor so I can get someone I don't care about as my beloved. or Feste.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Fournival is actually pretty good to get as your beloved because he will be at your house in Cassardis and you won't have to wait for him to leave his house in the post game to buy periapts and poo poo.

Ser Berne tho :getin:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

How do you people keep accidentally loving Caxton? I buy poo poo from him all the time and he's never glowed pink for me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

How do you people keep accidentally loving Caxton? I buy poo poo from him all the time and he's never glowed pink for me.

You can't stop true love.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I missed one godamn quest on my Hero run - Supply and Demands. Ugh.

Question about hard-mode because it's been a while. Do you retain the Post-Game Cassadis port to Ur-Dragon from the get go when you swap over?

Yup finally starting to see some RC from Pawn rentals. BBI was going to be a nightmare without it :)

Arach fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Bones!

Walking bones!