Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Fuzz posted:

drat. I'd rather not sound like I'm gargling marbles while underwater. :smith:

The problem is that the mic they choose on the QH90 is better for picking up musical instruments than actual voice, there are videos on people demonstrating how the mic sounds if you're curious. You won't sound like an amphibian, my beef with the mic was more a matter of taste, you might not have a problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

grack posted:

Did you mean XBA-A1? Supposedly good headphones.

If you're looking for a really good set of in-ears without a microphone how about the HifiMan RE-400? There's a model without a mic, it's $20 cheaper than the Shures and has really, really good sound quality. Isolation isn't quite as good as the SE215 but it's pretty good.

Isolation is my #1 priority, as I mostly use my headphones on domestic / international flights. Thanks for the recommendation though!

And apparently there's a Sony XBA-A1 and a XBA-H1, both around the same price point. So to be honest, I'm not sure which one is the one I'm looking for.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 18, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

kimcicle posted:

Isolation is my #1 priority, as I mostly use my headphones on domestic / international flights. Thanks for the recommendation though!

And apparently there's a Sony XBA-A1 and a XBA-H1, both around the same price point. So to be honest, I'm not sure which one is the one I'm looking for.

The XBA-H1 was from the previous hybrid (dynamic + BA) lineup that Sony made, the A1 is from the newer lineup. The H1 wasn't bad but certainly isn't great, the A1 is supposedly better but I've not heard it. However, if you're looking for isolation neither will come anywhere close to the Shure SE215. They'll both be worse than the HifiMan set, in fact.

You could also get a new set of Klipsch X10s, they're only about $20 more than the Shure SE215 as they've been discontinued - http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Noise...rds=klipsch+x10

The model I linked doesn't have a mic.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

KozmoNaut posted:

The only way this is going to happen is with in ear monitors. Even closed headphones bleed some sound out, especially if you crank it.

I've been extremely satisfied with my Soundmagic E10s, and they're ridiculously cheap for the sound quality you get.

Are they pretty durable? That is my only reason for preferring the over-ear headphones - my earbuds in the past have all died within 6-10 months or so (mostly Sennheiser CX IIIs)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They seem durable enough to me, but YMMV of course.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Also, get a case for your headphones.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

grack posted:

Also, get a case for your headphones.

If they are earbuds, at some point they are going in my pocket. Just sayin.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Earbuds aren't headphones... they're Earbuds.

But yeah, you should get a pouch for them, too. Unless they're lovely, they should come with one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kommienzuspadt posted:

This is really, really stupid. Just sayin.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You guys say that, but it takes a certain amount of not being loving lazy to put your IEM's or earbuds into its case everytime you're not using them. You slip once and you're never gonna use that case again.

This is why I tend to just go for cheap but decent IEM's like the ones Xiaomi and MEElec offer and just save my money towards full size headphones (that I don't take outside).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It takes an extra what, 5 seconds to put a set of IEMs in a case instead of just shoving them in your pocket? Even if your earbuds/iems didn't come with a case it's as cheap and easy as getting a tin of Altoids or a coin pouch from a dollar store and boom - case. If you don't want to do it, that's fine, it's your money.

However, if you complain about having to replace headphones because they don't last very long and still won't take care of them properly I reserve the right to call you a very stupid human being. "Take care of your stuff and it will last longer" shouldn't be any sort of great mystery if you're more than 8 years old.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Or I just stick my $300 IEMs in my pocket because I'm not some teenager with a retail salary and have to carefully protect everything I buy. I also stick them into the pocket of my slacks and get on a train, rather than roll around in the sandpit or whatever you're doing.

Someone guy tut tutting some other guy for not putting their headphones in the little supplied bag is the height of spergy bullshit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Turns out my new neighbors are pretty noise sensitive, so time to get some headphones for PC gaming / watching Youtube.

Budget: Up to about $200 unless there's a really good price:quality point above or below that
Source: PC 3.5mm probably, unless USB is somehow better nowadays
Isolation: nah, bachelorhood rules like that
Type: probably full-size circumaural, i've found supra-aurals uncomfortable a lot more often
Tone: I'm not even remotely an audiophile of any sort, so uh balanced???
Past headphones: none really, just whatever cheap tat comes with your ipods or whatever headset I have handy when I'm on Mumble
Music: It's mostly vidya games and youtube frankly, so vocals are most important I guess, but when it's actually just music I like listening to choral orchestral stuff

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: Forget it

grack fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 21, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Have you ever touched a female breast in your life?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Have you ever touched a female breast in your life?

i'm gay irl so yes i touch a lot of female breasts thanks :frogout:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Turns out my new neighbors are pretty noise sensitive, so time to get some headphones for PC gaming / watching Youtube.

Budget: Up to about $200 unless there's a really good price:quality point above or below that
Type: probably full-size circumaural, i've found supra-aurals uncomfortable a lot more often
Past headphones: none really, just whatever cheap tat comes with your ipods or whatever headset I have handy when I'm on Mumble
Music: It's mostly vidya games and youtube frankly, so vocals are most important I guess, but when it's actually just music I like listening to choral orchestral stuff

Sennheiser HD598 or Beyerdynamic DT990.

also double post gently caress the police

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

The Philips Fidelio X2's are $200 on MassDrop right now. Might not get to you in a little while though. Also they've confirmed it's the batch where they used glue on the earpads, so entirely up to you if that's a dealbreaker.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I've been having a hard time finding something that fits my fairly unusual needs and wanted to see if any of you know of something good.

I'm looking for some wireless bluetooth earbuds to use while biking. The one critical thing is that they need to be earbuds or something with little-to-no isolation, as I need to be able to hear things around me when I'm on roads with cars. I have been using just the apple earbuds, which work great for what I need, but the cord often gets tangled up with something and pulled out while I'm biking, so I'd like to look into something wireless. Sound quality isn't really important, either, as I am usually using the headphones for navigation directions or podcasts.

Looking around, I haven't really seen anything that looks worthwhile that isn't in-ear (with some degree of noise isolation) or full over-ear headphones (that interfere with a helmet). Does anyone know of anything?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Constellation I posted:

You guys say that, but it takes a certain amount of not being loving lazy to put your IEM's or earbuds into its case everytime you're not using them. You slip once and you're never gonna use that case again.

This is why I tend to just go for cheap but decent IEM's like the ones Xiaomi and MEElec offer and just save my money towards full size headphones (that I don't take outside).

Yeah, this is why I was sorta leaning towards headphones. I don't really take them anywhere except to the library/school. that said, if isolation is way better with earbuds I can just go with those.

and FWIW yeah I am super lazy, and know that a headphone case is just one more thing to forget/have to stick in my pocket. Hence why I didn't wanna spend a crapton of money on them.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Constellation I posted:

The Philips Fidelio X2's are $200 on MassDrop right now. Might not get to you in a little while though. Also they've confirmed it's the batch where they used glue on the earpads, so entirely up to you if that's a dealbreaker.

I hate Massdrop so much. They're only a good choice if you're ok with literally forgetting about the items you ordered and just don't give a poo poo when they show up.

Last time I ordered from them (JBL LSR305 speakers) it took 2 months.

Two. Months.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Tony Montana posted:

Or I just stick my $300 IEMs in my pocket because I'm not some teenager with a retail salary and have to carefully protect everything I buy. I also stick them into the pocket of my slacks and get on a train, rather than roll around in the sandpit or whatever you're doing.

Someone guy tut tutting some other guy for not putting their headphones in the little supplied bag is the height of spergy bullshit.

Yeah, jesus christ. I would get no enjoyment out of IEMs if I had to baby the loving things. Might as well carry around my full-size headphones if I'm going to have to sperg around with a case. Headphones shouldn't break from being put in a loose pocket for poo poo sake. How is it even any different from putting them in a bag?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When shipping is accounted for, they're rarely significantly cheaper than just buying from Amazon. At least for the things I've looked at. Like, it's worth an extra $5 to me to get a thing in a day or two rather than wait an indefinite length of time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks all, I looked around on the suggestions and ordered the Sennheiser HD598s; they get delivered tomorrow. :dance:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

grack posted:

If isolation is super important and you wanted balanced IEMs the Etymotic HF5 and E4S are probably your best bet. You could also look at something that uses a TWFK dual-armature driver like a Brainwavz B2, Ultimate Ears 700 or FIscher Audio DBA-02 (though I think most TWFK headphones have been discontinued) or an Ortofon EQ-5 with aftermarket foam tips. If you want a dynamic driver the Hi-FiMan RE-400 are excellent, cheaper than most of the others listed and still have pretty good isolation.

Thanks so much, thread. I'm sorry I didn't write a thank you sooner but I was moving so things were hectic for a while. After a fair bit of research I think I'm down to two potential IEMs: theEtymotic Research HF5 or the RHA MA750 Noise Isolating. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
Had a Sennheiser PC 350, which I finally destroyed by literally running it over. I got a Sennheiser G4ME One (horrible name) which only very slightly less comfortable, as it feels like my ears have a little less space. What I love about the G4ME one, is that it is half-open. I am not talking about any difference in sound, just the pragmatic advantage this offers. My girlfriend doesn't have to tap me on the shoulder to talk to me anymore. Yet it is still isolated enough that I can play a shooter and not bother anyone, plus I am not bothered by sounds near me.

I have not run any tests, but the PC 350 and G4ME One sound very similar, the One might be a bit more bassy.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Been considering buying a wireless headset and someone recommended to me Bose SoundLink Wireless Headphones II, but while I have the means, paying nearly 300 $ for a pair of headphones is not something I do lightly. Are there more reasonable options or are they are a good enough purchase that I justify it to myself?

Budget: Up to about $300
Source: Bluetooth
Isolation: Don't really care
Type: Full Size, wireless
Tone: Dunno, bass could be nice, but not really an issue. I usually use Koss portaPro, so I guess I ain't too demanding.
Past headphones: I usually use a pair of KOSS portaPro
Music: Techno, rock, pop.

I guess it would be nice if there was something waterproof since it rains about 250 days a year here, but I would not push my luck with something so expensive, so this is a secondary concern :v:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 22, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rincewinds posted:

Been considering buying a wireless headset and someone recommended to me Bose SoundLink Wireless Headphones II, but while I have the means, paying nearly 300 $ for a pair of headphones is not something I do lightly. Are there more reasonable options or are they are a good enough purchase that I justify it to myself?

Tone: Dunno, bass could be nice, but not really an issue. I usually use Koss portaPro, so I guess I ain't too demanding.

I guess it would be nice if there was something waterproof since it rains about 250 days a year here, but I would not push my luck with something so expensive, so this is a secondary concern :v:

Bose headphones kinda suck, in my experience. Someone linked a Steel Series above.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Fuzz posted:

Bose headphones kinda suck, in my experience. Someone linked a Steel Series above.

Is the Siberia P800 comfortable for outdoor use as well? Just noticed that it's being offered with 30% discount here.

Edit: Seems it's not that portable.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 22, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
No way in hell you're gonna wear that monstrosity outside. Also, it requires a base station. I think people were just confused that you wanted a wireless headset (for gaming or VOIP for work or something).

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I was looking for a new set of wireless headphones that aren't cans and aren't truly "in ear" ( I didn't want anything that actually entered my ear canals ), so I took a chance on these Hong Kong specials for $18:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177V2BCY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

They are actually surprisingly good. I can't comment on battery life yet as I've yet to need to charge them ( probably about 3 hours music time ), but as a non-audiophile the sound quality I find to be pretty comparable to the wired ones that came with my cell phone. :unsmith:

The only thing mildly concerning, and maybe this is the case for ALL headphones / electronics, is in the instruction manual it has a table of "toxic elements" present and if they do/do not exceed some sort of standards. Everything was "0" except for Lead on the PCB which is flagged as exceeding standards.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Gameko posted:

Thanks so much, thread. I'm sorry I didn't write a thank you sooner but I was moving so things were hectic for a while. After a fair bit of research I think I'm down to two potential IEMs: theEtymotic Research HF5 or the RHA MA750 Noise Isolating. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

The Etymotics and MA750s are really, really different headphones. They're both built well and provide decent isolation, but the Ety's are really flat while the MA750s are more bassy.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Fuzz posted:

What Bose have you used? QC XX headphones sound really good, not the $350 they cost good, but really good all the same. If you actually have a use for active noise cancelling they are definitely the way to go. I have a pair of QC 15s I got as a gift years ago and they're my main portable full-size headphones. Which means I basically just use them when traveling or around the house occasionally.

Rincewinds posted:

Funny thing is, for wireless, I would actually suggested the other HATED BRAND on here. I did a beta test for the Beats Studio Wireless 2's and they're pretty loving great for wireless headphones. Around $300. They are not a flat sound signature, but they're a pleasing one. They are not super boomy fart cans like people think of the older Beats. I'd buy some for myself if they were around $200.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just got a Sennheiser 461i - the cable apparently has an inline mic on it, but I can't get the microphone to work with my desktop. Anyone know if there's something stupid I'm missing? Is the mic just for use with phones?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 23, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

"Inline" microphones requires the plug you're sticking it in to support the four-point jack plugs they use for this. Most phones do, some Windows laptops do, every single Apple laptop does, about zero desktop computers do

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

"Inline" microphones requires the plug you're sticking it in to support the four-point jack plugs they use for this. Most phones do, some Windows laptops do, every single Apple laptop does, about zero desktop computers do

Mm. Is there an adapter for that? I didn't buy this set for the mic, but it'd be nice to be able to use it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mm. Is there an adapter for that? I didn't buy this set for the mic, but it'd be nice to be able to use it.
I think there are splitters that separate the signal into stereo / microphone so you can use it with a PC. Try looking for sound cards or adapters for TRRS (inline mic with remote) or TRS (inline mic, no remote)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

I think there are splitters that separate the signal into stereo / microphone so you can use it with a PC. Try looking for sound cards or adapters for TRRS (inline mic with remote) or TRS (inline mic, no remote)

Like so?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, that's the thing. No idea if they work though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Itching to upgrade my Sennheiser 585s, if anyone has any good ideas for the next logical step up.

Thanks in advance.