Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm pretty sure at this point you're entitled to not just a raise but some serious thank you blowjobs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Well, unless he works at a tip less place he did pocket another 50-75k on top of his salary.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Dear Goons With Spoons, should I be pushing for a promotion?

About 6 months ago, I got hired on as what amounts to kitchen bitch at a new place that was opening up in town on the back of 2 1/2 years experience at a hospital kitchen and zero restaurant experience. I worked the pre-opening organization and prep, basically was assistant prep cook and did burgers and fryers on the line once we opened. At about three months in, I had made it to weekday saute station and gotten a dollar raise, until our first prep cook got fired for not actually getting prep done and our second quit for more money at a lakeside resort. At that point, I got moved to the morning prep/lunch shift. Around the same time, I quit my hospital job on the promise of full time hours (which I got) due to a very toxic work environment at the hospital. Since then, I feel like I've slowly been given more responsibility. I'm the only kitchen staffer working full time (outside of the two chef-owners, who basically live at the restaurant), the chef-owners regularly have me double check our product orders, they consult me on planning our weekly lunch menu, sometimes letting me partially write it, and ask for input on menus for special events. They trust me with a key to the building and with using the company credit card (not carrying it, but with taking it to go out and buy things). They tell me about the restaurant's finances. Since I've never worked in any other restaurant before, I don't know if this is a normal "congrats Oldsrocket, now you're a competent loving cook, welcome to the industry" thing, or if I should be asking for more, especially since the restaurant is so new and they've already given me raise. I love working at this place, and the last thing I want is to gently caress it up over ego or greed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What do they tell you about the finances? Not specifically, but are they doing well? Because without knowing anything else I'd say there's a 50/50 chance you will be looking for a different job in 18 months, just based on how hard it is to run a successful restaurant.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

What do they tell you about the finances? Not specifically, but are they doing well? Because without knowing anything else I'd say there's a 50/50 chance you will be looking for a different job in 18 months, just based on how hard it is to run a successful restaurant.

Things aren't terrible but things are tight. Right now the chef-owners are hardly paid, but the bills and their employees are. One moved in with his parents and the other with his longtime girlfriend. On the other hand, we've been seeing a slow but steady increase in sales following a slump in late August/early September, and so far January is continuing that trend. We made it back up to and past what we were bringing in before the slump in December. I know that our food costs are quite low and the chef-owners putting in shitloads of hours themselves helps to keep labor costs low. If we can survive long enough to pay off the initial loans they took out to start the business we're golden, it's just a matter of getting there. They haven't told me what the timeline for that looks like.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point you're entitled to not just a raise but some serious thank you blowjobs too.

I don't think I really understand what "securing" 500k in "sales" means.

If he's waitstaff or bartending, that basically means he served $500k worth of poo poo. Which is great, I'd assume any place doing those kinds of numbers per employee is doing well for itself - but at the same time "securing sales" in terms of restaurant service basically means 'serving the people walking in the door ready to give the restaurant money'. Unless he's doing SEO and promo social media work on the side or swaggering entire tables into ordering multiple $2000 bottles of château margaux or something.

In any case, well done dude, you deserve any and all money being thrown at you - but blowjobs? Dude is probably just doing the (remarkably good) job he's being paid to do.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

mindphlux posted:

I don't think I really understand what "securing" 500k in "sales" means.

If he's waitstaff or bartending, that basically means he served $500k worth of poo poo. Which is great, I'd assume any place doing those kinds of numbers per employee is doing well for itself - but at the same time "securing sales" in terms of restaurant service basically means 'serving the people walking in the door ready to give the restaurant money'. Unless he's doing SEO and promo social media work on the side or swaggering entire tables into ordering multiple $2000 bottles of château margaux or something.

In any case, well done dude, you deserve any and all money being thrown at you - but blowjobs? Dude is probably just doing the (remarkably good) job he's being paid to do.

There's more to serving than just taking the money that people were going to spend anyway. Even at the diner I work at a good server can gross 30% more than a bad one just by knowing how to push upsales, desserts and the like. If it's a place that actually serves alcohol that number only increases.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/15/reality-didnt-always-match-the-menu-at-toronto-restaurant.html

quote:

Wild Canadian salmon. “Organic” granola, “homemade” salad dressing and grilled “Wagyu skirt steak.”

Toronto’s Azure Restaurant & Bar, in Intercontinental Hotel Toronto Centre on Front St., boasted some of the best ingredients — and today’s biggest foodie buzzwords.

Turns out, some of the good stuff was only in the description.

Unbeknownst to customers, when the “wild” salmon appeared on the table it was a farmed Atlantic variety, according to food inspection documents obtained by the Star. The “organic” granola was boxed Quaker Harvest Crunch and the “homemade” dressing was bought from Renée’s Gourmet. The promised Japanese beef, a rare, well-marbled delicacy that reportedly can fetch around $200 a strip, was really regular skirt steak from a lesser breed of cow.

...(more at link)..

Ooops.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The owner of this place is such a massive sleazeball holy poo poo ahaha

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Had a hell of a time doing this THLA thing in Houston. Found out work spent $4k to send me to a condensed week of hotel management, where I was encouraged by my peers to get smashed every night, and come to "work" at 8am every day.

I also learned that I want to be a hotel GM asap.

e: I can also confirm that Secret Spoon is a Cool Dude.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Ahahahahahabsgshavasfagahaxavsscsdfdsdsabanahahahaha

...you WERE joking right?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Had a hell of a time doing this THLA thing in Houston. Found out work spent $4k to send me to a condensed week of hotel management, where I was encouraged by my peers to get smashed every night, and come to "work" at 8am every day.

e: I can also confirm that Secret Spoon is a Cool Dude.

Don't lie to these people. Im an awkward nerd. Had a rad time man, Petes dueling piano bar is now something Im adding into my days off.

^^ Being a hotel GM is not like being a restaurant GM. Huge difference. I have a highschool friend who GM's for Marriott, and his life is sweet.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

When inspectors visited, they discovered other examples of misrepresentation, including passing off Crown Brand Corn Syrup as “Canadian Maple Syrup.” Inspectors also found that regular versions of products were being passed off as free-run eggs, free-range chicken, and organic beets.

I'm surprised this doesn't result in some sort of Canadian Firing Squad.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

We never really got the hang of firing squads.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Annoyed that I didn't get a beer with CDC. Secret, why do you never cone to town. And are you the big spoon or the little spoon?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Annoyed that I didn't get a beer with CDC. Secret, why do you never cone to town. And are you the big spoon or the little spoon?

I tallied up my free/uncharged drinks. 27.

I'm pretty good at this whatever I'm doing thing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

27? Which night was that?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

27? Which night was that?

All week. Went out every day. Monday night was Dave & Busters, bartender forgot to charge me for 4 drinks somehow. Tuesday was Fox and Hound, 2 missed charges there. Wed was Little Woodrows, got 2 doubles at the price of one just because? Then we went to a karaoke bar called Glitter where I befriended the bartender who turned out to be the owner and I got 12 free drinks for myself, and a free bottle of Jameson for the table. Thurs, I was really hungover, so I drank a few gallons of water, and felt fine by 8p, went to Karbach, met Secret Spoon, had beers, went to Pete's, had wine in the parking garage, then went inside. Bartender was all "oh, this bottle's almost empty, I'll just let you have the rest." About 2 shots, just a little splash of redbull for my vodka/redbull, go to close out after Secret Spoon leaves, have to wait a while, bartender offers me another double vodka/redbull for free because of the wait. I can't deny. Then last night, my last night in Houston, I go to some popular mexican place, order 2 margaritas, wasn't charged for one. Then some random dude comes by to ask out table if we're with the group outside, we say no, and that we're in town for THLA conference, then dude tells us he's the owner and gives us all 3 free shots of Don Julio.

Went out to eat in Austin tonight, was charged $15 for 3 drinks. gently caress.

e: just want to point out, I didn't drink by myself all week, we went in a group of 10ish. Pretty much everyone had drinks missing from their tabs.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I have never been invited out homie. Hit me up and we can figure something out.

Also the wine in the garage makes me sound legit shady. Oh well, poo poo was good juice.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I worked for a dude like that. The most egregious menu lie was the "wood fired pizza" that was, in fact, cooked in a gas oven. drat good pizza, though, so I never heard any complaints. I still liked to give the owner good-natured poo poo about it until he eventually changed it in a menu revision.

He never stopped lying about all the salad dressings being homemade but I always let that slide.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

All week. Went out every day. Monday night was Dave & Busters, bartender forgot to charge me for 4 drinks somehow. Tuesday was Fox and Hound, 2 missed charges there. Wed was Little Woodrows, got 2 doubles at the price of one just because? Then we went to a karaoke bar called Glitter where I befriended the bartender who turned out to be the owner and I got 12 free drinks for myself, and a free bottle of Jameson for the table. Thurs, I was really hungover, so I drank a few gallons of water, and felt fine by 8p, went to Karbach, met Secret Spoon, had beers, went to Pete's, had wine in the parking garage, then went inside. Bartender was all "oh, this bottle's almost empty, I'll just let you have the rest." About 2 shots, just a little splash of redbull for my vodka/redbull, go to close out after Secret Spoon leaves, have to wait a while, bartender offers me another double vodka/redbull for free because of the wait. I can't deny. Then last night, my last night in Houston, I go to some popular mexican place, order 2 margaritas, wasn't charged for one. Then some random dude comes by to ask out table if we're with the group outside, we say no, and that we're in town for THLA conference, then dude tells us he's the owner and gives us all 3 free shots of Don Julio.

Went out to eat in Austin tonight, was charged $15 for 3 drinks. gently caress.

e: just want to point out, I didn't drink by myself all week, we went in a group of 10ish. Pretty much everyone had drinks missing from their tabs.

Lol $5 cocktails.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Is there a slang term for the bar you go to drink at after your shift? I've been calling it my haunt, but people look at me like "what."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
'work'

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Invisible Ted posted:

Second bounced paycheck today. Told chef if it happens again, I'm out, and he got pissy. Said he isn't in charge of banking, and telling him that just pisses him off. I guess I warned him.

I'm just pleased that I work where bounced paychecks are common, and all of our managers that actually have access to the accountant/owner have complained about it to no avail. Sure is great to have no loving representation or avenues for complaint.

Why are you still working for these people.

One bounced paycheck is an oh poo poo moment that needs to never happen again. A second bounced paycheck is 'walk out', because that restaurant is going under.

Especially in the case you describe, where the owners are too apathetic to fire someone responsible for their money who can't manage basic payroll. Holy poo poo, I'm afraid for what their taxes look like.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 18, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there a slang term for the bar you go to drink at after your shift? I've been calling it my haunt, but people look at me like "what."

It might be a regional thing. Because haunt is what I would've suggested, where are you?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Lol $5 cocktails.

I spent $5 on a beer today and after tip it came to $8. I still questioned myself if that was enough.

But I'm like Jesus I drank one pint and spent $8 the gently caress.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Skwirl posted:

It might be a regional thing. Because haunt is what I would've suggested, where are you?

I'm in DC now but Charleston, SC will always be my hometown.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

I spent $5 on a beer today and after tip it came to $8. I still questioned myself if that was enough.

But I'm like Jesus I drank one pint and spent $8 the gently caress.

You tip 3 on a 5 dollar beer? Even with my server guilt of over tipping on every thing, a five dollar pint gets 1 buck tip. It's 20 percent for something that took 20 seconds at most.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I know. But, she knows I'm another sever across the street and we made small talk for 20 minutes and she was dead af.

And it's nothing sexual. She has a man. I just don't wanna be the guy that goes in there and tips lovely off one or two beers.

It's also an upscale seafood joint. I dunno it just confused me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dude

honestly you're hosed in the head

what the christ are you talking about "it's nothing sexual, she has a man"

YOU BOUGHT A BEER AT A RESTAURANT

FROM A PERSON

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH SEX

AND RELATING IT TO YOUR TIP AMOUNT

WHY ARE YOU EVEN SAYING THIS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

I know. But, she knows I'm another sever across the street and we made small talk for 20 minutes and she was dead af.

And it's nothing sexual. She has a man. I just don't wanna be the guy that goes in there and tips lovely off one or two beers.

It's also an upscale seafood joint. I dunno it just confused me.

Oh , now I get it. You want to gently caress her.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Omg I did not want to gently caress her. Jesus.

I'm asking as I don't want to be the guy from the place across the street that tips lovely.

But gently caress it $8 for one beer is gonna have to do. Last time I went in I spent $15 for two.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Even in NYC where the beers are normally $8 anyway, the standard is to tip a dollar on a drink.

You're the guy from across the street who tips too much because you're trying too hard.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Also to the other guy who sold 500k.. what does that number mean? In a vacuum, without everyone else's numbers, or how much you sold last year, not much.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

mindphlux posted:

dude

honestly you're hosed in the head

what the christ are you talking about "it's nothing sexual, she has a man"

YOU BOUGHT A BEER AT A RESTAURANT

FROM A PERSON

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH SEX

AND RELATING IT TO YOUR TIP AMOUNT

WHY ARE YOU EVEN SAYING THIS

likely to avoid the ~*ToTaLy HiLaRiOuS*~ 'getting down' references folks keep on making

e: that's just an assumption though, maybe he really thinks everyone needs that specified

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Liquid Communism posted:

Why are you still working for these people.

One bounced paycheck is an oh poo poo moment that needs to never happen again. A second bounced paycheck is 'walk out', because that restaurant is going under.

Especially in the case you describe, where the owners are too apathetic to fire someone responsible for their money who can't manage basic payroll. Holy poo poo, I'm afraid for what their taxes look like.

Because I can't afford to be unemployed, basically. I'm looking for jobs right now but being in school means I don't have much time, plus not having experience outside of restaurants makes it a tough sell.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Invisible Ted posted:

Because I can't afford to be unemployed, basically. I'm looking for jobs right now but being in school means I don't have much time, plus not having experience outside of restaurants makes it a tough sell.

If you're working for no pay isn't that effectively worse than being unemployed

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

AnonSpore posted:

If you're working for no pay isn't that effectively worse than being unemployed

When a paycheck bounces, I show my chef the email from my bank and he writes me a new check (which goes through somehow). Then, whenever the first check goes through (like a week later) I pay him back minus any fees incurred. I'm getting paid, but it's a hassle and not right.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Invisible Ted posted:

When a paycheck bounces, I show my chef the email from my bank and he writes me a new check (which goes through somehow). Then, whenever the first check goes through (like a week later) I pay him back minus any fees incurred. I'm getting paid, but it's a hassle and not right.

So you extend credit to your employer at no charge.

Yeah, what a wonderful idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Turkeybone posted:

Also to the other guy who sold 500k.. what does that number mean? In a vacuum, without everyone else's numbers, or how much you sold last year, not much.

It means I did 37% of the restaurants sales.

• Locked thread