Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

BarbarianElephant posted:

That's more for after you have been working there a while, not the job interview.
Taking a job working with old, bad tech on the off chance you'll get to upgrade everything a while down the line sounds like a bad idea to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cicero posted:

Taking a job working with old, bad tech on the off chance you'll get to upgrade everything a while down the line sounds like a bad idea to me.

Taking a well paying job when you're already in a dead end job with promises of a nebulus bonus sounds like an okay idea.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

No Butt Stuff posted:

Taking a well paying job when you're already in a dead end job with promises of a nebulus bonus sounds like an okay idea.

Well the only thing is, this isn't the only opportunity that will come my way. I may be mistaken, but aren't you a dev? I don't really feel like I need to settle, since if nothing else my job is relatively stable. I got an offer to interview on Monday as well for a software engineer position; it's only a few blocks from my wife's work, too. It's more prestigious for sure, as they service some very big clients like IBM. I'm not trying to sound haughty - I just want to pick the right job.

I'll definitely hear this place out though. It does have the advantage of being close enough where I can maybe manage. And it may pay well. I'll discuss it with you guys after the interview.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 14, 2016

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Unless the offer is ridiculously good I would turn down the sole dev on a project using obsolete tech position. You should still interview for it, but hopping from dead end job to dead end job isn't going to get you anywhere. You should be looking for a junior/intermediate position on a strong team if you want to grow your career

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I agree with the above comments. And working for IBM would suck, as someone who works with IBM on the business side... They're frigging horrid at computer services.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Well the only thing is, this isn't the only opportunity that will come my way. I may be mistaken, but aren't you a dev? I don't really feel like I need to settle, since if nothing else my job is relatively stable. I got an offer to interview on Monday as well for a software engineer position; it's only a few blocks from my wife's work, too. It's more prestigious for sure, as they service some very big clients like IBM. I'm not trying to sound haughty - I just want to pick the right job.

I'll definitely hear this place out though. It does have the advantage of being close enough where I can maybe manage. And it may pay well. I'll discuss it with you guys after the interview.

Interview for everything. Having competing offers can't hurt.

Not a dev. In procurement analytics. Equally as not understood by the executive team.

And I don't want to come off like a dick, I just want you to know that you've gotta keep grinding to get where you want to be.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SiGmA_X posted:

I agree with the above comments. And working for IBM would suck, as someone who works with IBM on the business side... They're frigging horrid at computer services.

IBM is a big name still. It'd be a good thing to have on the resume because Knyteguy is a little limited by no degree and no big names on his resume.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

IBM is a big name still. It'd be a good thing to have on the resume because Knyteguy is a little limited by no degree and no big names on his resume.

Yeah, right now his resume, and subsequently his options, are limited. I'm not saying he's not skilled, but finding something that fits exactly what he wants (a niche location, for a niche specialty, with reasonable hours, with flexibility for wfh, with no degree, with room for growth/learning) isn't going to be easy even though the market's generally good, so he should cast a wide net.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Ok done with the interview. He seems interested, but wants to sleep on it. He's looking for someone to take on a conversion project to move all of the websites to a modern ecommere platform, and the platform choice would be advised by the person in this positon.

I'm expecting an offer (if one comes) in the $75,000 range, and it does come with profit sharing which was $11,000 last year, and which this position is qualified for. He also said that a raise would come about 6 months after hire, and profit sharing would start to build around that time range as well.

There is upward mobility, as he ideally wants someone to take over his position.

We'll see though he is cautious after a string of bad hires. I did my best to sell myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to look at the market more. It was a good experience regardless of the outcome.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Reminder when/if the offer comes, if you want it, negotiate!

Find out ALL the benefits they have and what they don't. And if you want to take it, remember that if your dream position comes open in 6 months then you can always leave this position.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

No Butt Stuff posted:

Reminder when/if the offer comes, if you want it, negotiate!

Find out ALL the benefits they have and what they don't. And if you want to take it, remember that if your dream position comes open in 6 months then you can always leave this position.

Alright. He did ask what salary I wanted. I said I generally like to leave that to the employer, and he said $60,000. I said that's less than what I make now. We talked he asked what I wanted, so I said $80,000; he said I could do $75,000 with a raise in 6 months, regular raises, and profit sharing. I probably could have done this better. I'll post more if I get an actual offer.

I believe the only benefits beyond profit sharing are health and dental. I'm guessing it wouldn't be better than my wife's plan, but who knows.

There were a couple of red flags during the interview though. I was asked my age, and if I had a family and kids. I'm aware that those are illegal interview questions, and I was pretty surprised. I'll have to let him know that those were illegal questions if I get the position.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I haven't been following too closely recently. What are the downsides for taking this job?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

There were a couple of red flags during the interview though. I was asked my age, and if I had a family and kids. I'm aware that those are illegal interview questions, and I was pretty surprised. I'll have to let him know that those were illegal questions if I get the position.

They're not illegal, but they are evidence of an employer having a motive to do illegal things when hiring. I'd say that's a definite red flag. If he's been in business for any length of time and has a good number of employees, he should know that asking those questions is a really bad idea.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

I haven't been following too closely recently. What are the downsides for taking this job?

Long commute. I suppose I'd be willing to compromise for that kind of money until we can come up with a better solution.

Inept posted:

They're not illegal, but they are evidence of an employer having a motive to do illegal things when hiring. I'd say that's a definite red flag. If he's been in business for any length of time and has a good number of employees, he should know that asking those questions is a really bad idea.

For sure. There were some other weird things like saying they were stalking me online (which is assumedly Facebook), but they found the wrong person and they were asking me questions about that profile. It was a good reminder to double check my privacy settings. It's also expected, but weird to hear.

He's been in business since the 80s, but he quote "hates interviews", and "doesn't do them often." I assume it was without malice, as he also asked me what car I drive. I earned some bonus points for the Camaro since he's a car aficionado :frogc00l: my door latch broke yesterday i have to go fix it now since im using a jump rope to hold the door closed

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 16, 2016

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

Ok done with the interview. He seems interested, but wants to sleep on it. He's looking for someone to take on a conversion project to move all of the websites to a modern ecommere platform, and the platform choice would be advised by the person in this positon.

I'm expecting an offer (if one comes) in the $75,000 range, and it does come with profit sharing which was $11,000 last year, and which this position is qualified for. He also said that a raise would come about 6 months after hire, and profit sharing would start to build around that time range as well.

There is upward mobility, as he ideally wants someone to take over his position.

We'll see though he is cautious after a string of bad hires. I did my best to sell myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to look at the market more. It was a good experience regardless of the outcome.

I'm glad you went through with it and I'm glad it actually is a conversion project. That's, in my experience, a great way to gain skills in not only new technology but also leadership and project management. Being involved in projects like that have been great for my resume.

That said, "string of bad hires" is really the red flag here for me. If you have a chance I'd ask more about that.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Alright. He did ask what salary I wanted. I said I generally like to leave that to the employer, and he said $60,000. I said that's less than what I make now. We talked he asked what I wanted, so I said $80,000; he said I could do $75,000 with a raise in 6 months, regular raises, and profit sharing. I probably could have done this better. I'll post more if I get an actual offer.

I believe the only benefits beyond profit sharing are health and dental. I'm guessing it wouldn't be better than my wife's plan, but who knows.

Ignore all the poo poo about raises unless it's an unconditional raise hard written into your contract. I don't understand why you said $80,000 when we told you to not marry yourself to the number, he obviously isn't going to just accept your first number and you just gave yourself what you wanted as your ceiling.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Knyteguy posted:

Long commute. I suppose I'd be willing to compromise for that kind of money until we can come up with a better solution.

Where is it in relation to your wife's job? Could you relocate to make the drive shorter?

Don't you have another couple of interviews from Indeed? Do you think your chances to get a better job have improved that you are now using the right job site? What is the timeframe for this guy wanting to hire someone?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

What is that, a 10k raise (no details yet on the WFH situation though?) for how many extra hours of commute per week (expand that to per month/per year)? But better work/career growth opportunities. Dude sounds like he wouldn't be the most professional employer, or the most informed about employment law/your rights, but that doesn't have to be a dealbreaker or even that bad; just make sure to keep that in mind.

Also, If someone asks you for a number, ask for 50% more than your current salary -- except that you're a little underpaid right? So maybe ask for twice that.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I think that job is at best a lateral move career wise. Knyteguy really needs to work with other (more experienced, ideally) software developers to progress in his career.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

:frogc00l: my door latch broke yesterday i have to go fix it now since im using a jump rope to hold the door closed
LOL American cars.

Rurutia posted:

Ignore all the poo poo about raises unless it's an unconditional raise hard written into your contract. I don't understand why you said $80,000 when we told you to not marry yourself to the number, he obviously isn't going to just accept your first number and you just gave yourself what you wanted as your ceiling.
This is exactly what happened. Never name a price, and if you do, name a substantial amount more than you're looking for.

Horking Delight posted:

Also, If someone asks you for a number, ask for 50% more than your current salary -- except that you're a little underpaid right? So maybe ask for twice that.
This.

Knyteguy posted:

Boss spent $60,000 from a home equity loan on those new hover boards. Two days later the report came out that they were all catching on fire.

Two months later they're still sitting in US customs.
On second thought, maybe jumping ship sooner than later is a good idea!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 17, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Rurutia posted:

I'm never sure what to say exactly. I'm generally prepared for "what are you currently making". Plus I've always been told to try to get them to throw out a number first, which I did accomplish. I need work negotiating for salaries.

detectivemonkey posted:

I'm glad you went through with it and I'm glad it actually is a conversion project. That's, in my experience, a great way to gain skills in not only new technology but also leadership and project management. Being involved in projects like that have been great for my resume.

That said, "string of bad hires" is really the red flag here for me. If you have a chance I'd ask more about that.

I think it's mainly that he doesn't do a lot of oversight, so when people are working on projects for 2 months and he's not seeing anything, he starts to get resentful (his words during the interview). He also said that he's had experience with lazy people who start getting paid well and stop doing work.

He's implementing a new plan where the person in this position would email him once a week on progress. He also said that the site has been stagnating with new hires, and I believe this could be because he hasn't weeded out candidates very well. He could pick the most terrible developer in the world, and he would never know it because he didn't ask for any whiteboard coding. This position will have power to revamp all of that. He said if he thinks [position] thinks there's something to be done that needs hiring people etc that I can bring a plan to him and if he likes the RoI he'll let me hire some guys (or at least be a large part of the process).

Is that still a red flag? It seems like a sink or swim type of situation, but I'm OK with that if the expectations are reasonable.

Horking Delight posted:

What is that, a 10k raise (no details yet on the WFH situation though?) for how many extra hours of commute per week (expand that to per month/per year)? But better work/career growth opportunities. Dude sounds like he wouldn't be the most professional employer, or the most informed about employment law/your rights, but that doesn't have to be a dealbreaker or even that bad; just make sure to keep that in mind.

Assuming $75,000 it's a 13k raise plus profit sharing; I think profit sharing is significant enough to be included, as the company has been stable with around $10,000,000 in revenue each year for the past 5-10 years. Profit sharing wouldn't kick in until about 3-6 months. I was thinking of negotiating that to start at 3 months.

90-120 minutes of commute added per day (roughly). Most of the commute traffic goes into Reno, not out of it, so at least it wouldn't be bad once I get out of the freeway junction area.

What if I tried to negotiate flex scheduling into a contract to start after a few months? If I could leave early or late then I could cut down the commute time quite a bit.

SiGmA_X posted:

LOL American cars.
This is exactly what happened. Never name a price, and if you do, name a substantial amount more than you're looking for.
This.
On second thought, maybe jumping ship sooner than later is a good idea!

Yeah. I fixed the door latch. It was like $15 for a part from a junk yard. It's my fault it broke though. I was in a hurry and just slammed the door on the jammed latch, rather than simply working it loose from the ice. We've been getting nasty patterns of rain for a few hours and then snow on top of it, so it's putting like half inch thick ice on everything. Both of my car locks were frozen one day.

To you and Horking - so I should say $120,000 in the future?

the talent deficit posted:

I think that job is at best a lateral move career wise. Knyteguy really needs to work with other (more experienced, ideally) software developers to progress in his career.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I may be, as I'm not used to moving around jobs), but I think with the info above that it would get me more involved in the administration side of things. I wouldn't mind that. I'm not sure how that would affect my career though.

n8r posted:

Where is it in relation to your wife's job? Could you relocate to make the drive shorter?

Don't you have another couple of interviews from Indeed? Do you think your chances to get a better job have improved that you are now using the right job site? What is the timeframe for this guy wanting to hire someone?

1 more today via phone call.

It's well on the way to my wife's job. Her commute is about 35 minutes, I'd say it's about 20-25 minutes from her work. We could likely come up with a solution to move closer, but it will take some thought and planning. If I accept I'll be stuck with this commute for this year, because I'm not early breaking a lease.

He wants to hire pretty much immediately, but I told him I need to give 2 weeks notice.

Alright so I "pretty much" have the job according to the owner. He wants me to talk to him today to discuss the transition, and he just wants me to answer one more interview question via email, which I'll do shortly. How do you guys think I should proceed? I don't have a written offer yet with details.

I was thinking too that I may be able to make a bit of money on the side (if I took the job) by freelancing with my current company and the company in Texas.

If I were to accept the job, would I resign my current job through email as my boss is out of town this week?

e: If I'm sounding rude here or something then it's

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 18, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Knyteguy posted:

I was thinking too that I may be able to make a bit of money on the side (if I took the job) by freelancing with my current company and the company in Texas.

Not with your new hell-commute. Be realistic about yourself. You have very little patience for personal suffering, and a multi-hour commute each way is *hell.* I assume you are underestimating the time as you are one of nature's eternal optimists. You say it's about 1 hour more each way - what is your current commute ? I assume that it's at least a half hour. So you are driving at least 3 hours per day. You'd do like 2 months of that and say "gently caress it" and break your lease not to have to do that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Not with your new hell-commute. Be realistic about yourself. You have very little patience for personal suffering, and a multi-hour commute each way is *hell.* I assume you are underestimating the time as you are one of nature's eternal optimists. You say it's about 1 hour more each way - what is your current commute ? I assume that it's at least a half hour. So you are driving at least 3 hours per day. You'd do like 2 months of that and say "gently caress it" and break your lease not to have to do that.

Huh? No that's not on top of my current commute - It's total from home to potential work place. It's 45 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes total each way (according to Google Maps using time to leave stuff).

My commute now is less than 10 minutes.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

That doesn't really sound like a good job to me. The guy sounds like he will be terrible to work for, the commute sucks, the money is still under market and not likely to get better if the guy is already whining about lazy fatcat developers who start making 60k a year and slack off. And why is he implementing some plan where people email him weekly, if they are working in the same office as he is already at? Why doesn't he just go talk to them if he doesn't know what's happening for "months"? He sounds crazy.

A third of your non-profit sharing raise after income tax would probably be spent on extra gas and car maintenance costs alone. And the profit sharing will almost certainly have a long vesting schedule so it's hard to count it directly as income.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Droo posted:

That doesn't really sound like a good job to me. The guy sounds like he will be terrible to work for, the commute sucks, the money is still under market and not likely to get better if the guy is already whining about lazy fatcat developers who start making 60k a year and slack off. And why is he implementing some plan where people email him weekly, if they are working in the same office as he is already at? Why doesn't he just go talk to them if he doesn't know what's happening for "months"? He sounds crazy.

A third of your non-profit sharing raise after income tax would probably be spent on extra gas and car maintenance costs alone. And the profit sharing will almost certainly have a long vesting schedule so it's hard to count it directly as income.

I am concerned about point a. When he mentioned lazy guys though, I think he was more specifically talking about one of his computer guys who was making good money (he didn't say how much), bought a house, and started smoking pot and his production dropped heavily. That kind of stuff. He said his last guy in charge of all of this stuff ended at $100,000, but he left to start his own business manufacturing car parts. He's had trouble hiring since then, which was last year.

Re: the not knowing what's going on with devs. He said he doesn't come in very often, as he considers himself retired. The long and the short of what I got from the conversation is he needs someone he can trust to take care of things since he's not around very often. There's not someone there riding the guy in the position on a day to day basis, and there's not daily meetings or anything.

The money is about market isn't it? Average here in Reno is $71,000 for this position according to Indeed. Glassdoor has the national average at $67,000.

I think profit sharing in this case may be a yearly cash bonus. He said he likes to reward with incentive based pay. I'm not sure how vesting with this would work, but it's definitely something I'd need to find out.

I'll take care of this interview question to get a written offer, and then I'll do some math and I'll post info here. I feel like we're working without all of the details.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Knyteguy posted:

Huh? No that's not on top of my current commute - It's total from home to potential work place. It's 45 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes total each way (according to Google Maps using time to leave stuff).

My commute now is less than 10 minutes.

Hmm, not so bad, never mind then. Figure an hour and a half on bad days.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

90-120 minutes of commute added per day (roughly). Most of the commute traffic goes into Reno, not out of it, so at least it wouldn't be bad once I get out of the freeway junction area.

To you and Horking - so I should say $120,000 in the future?

Okay, let's round up (this is why I asked you to expand out the math, but I can do it too): 2 hours added per day, that's 10 per week. At 50 weeks, that's an extra 500 hours. A standard work year is 2000 hours, so that's a) a 25% increase in how much time you'd be "at work" for a 13k raise (not counting taxes). And it's 500 hours of "not fun" (commuting) in exchange for 13k (NOT COUNTING CAR COSTS OR FUEL COSTS). That's 26 dollars/hr for 500 hours to get 13k. You... can't get 13k worth of freelancing money in 500 hours can you? Because frankly this job definitely doesn't sound good enough career-wise (boss sounds like a dick, more on that below) to do a lateral move for, and you might as well just freelance for the extra money at that point and not have to commute.

Yes, you should say at least $120k in the future, maybe something like this? (Sorry, it's been a while since I've done salary negotiations, though I've successfully asked for a raise a couple times and I always use "well market rate is X" when arguing for that.):

"So, knyte, what kind of salary are you hoping for?"
"I'm hoping for around market rate for my skills and experience, of course. What did you have in mind?"
"Well, how much are you making right now?"
"I'm sorry, but that's confidential."
"Okay, then give us a number."
"Market rate, so that I'd be making a fair rate compared to my equally skilled peers."
"Yeaaaah, but what kind of numbers are you talking about? Specifically."
"Well, if you just want a number, I'd be happy with $120k, but I know that's above market and I'd be willing to consider lower depending on the circumstances and details of the offer, and depending on what kind of work it is, the company culture, et cetera." <-- THIS SHOULD BE A NUMBER THAT WOULD GET YOU TO BASICALLY IMMEDIATELY ACCEPT THE JOB WITH NO FURTHER SALARY NEGOTIATION.
"We can't afford $120k."
"Okay, then how much are you willing to offer instead?"

GUY SOUNDING LIKE A DICK:

"Oh, developers are all lazy and whatever" -- He's gonna be the one expecting you to work a stupid number of hours or breathing down your neck "why are you on facebook and somethingawful all day instead of working the whole time" (which is kinda rough because a lot of devs I know (in the special snowflake Bay Area) treat programming as a creative job, where there's like, frequent breaks and thinking and most of the physical "typing the code that actually goes into production" time gets scrunched into not a huge portion of work hours, all things considered)

Bad mouthing his former employees to you
Asking questions he shouldn't ask during an interview
Talking about how rarely he interviews/hates interviews
NOT PROFESSIONAL. THESE ARE RED FLAGS -- he won't necessarily be a good reference for you later, and he sounds like he'd be bad at hiring (because he throws off red flags) so your coworkers if you have any probably wouldn't be great either

I dunno what market rate is around where you are but you should find out by checking Glassdoor, yeah; can't you do that by region or something? I assume there's no way for you to network properly with people in the area because you're so niche and there's no tech scene to speak of?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Every time you post about anything related to interviewing or a job offer or changing jobs I get the sense that you're running in fifteen different directions at once and never getting anywhere.

What is your plan? Where do you want to be, strictly career-wise but detailed- position, salary, responsibilities, growth, etc in 1/3/5 years and how will this job change get you there?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Horking Delight posted:

"We can't afford $120k."

Not all employers are willing to haggle like the shopkeepers in Moria (the roguelike.) If you name a price $20,000 above what their best-paid guy in the position got, they won't necessarily say "We can't do that. How about $90k?" They might just say "Thanks for your time. We'll get back to you." (Of course they will not get back to you.) Often it can be best to just ask for what you really want, plus a little more for luck.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
On my phone so I can't read and respond all that well.

Alright well I got the "written offer" at $75k. I've browsed through the employee handbook, and yeah the policies seem a little dickish. I'm not sure how to feel about it. More later when I get back.

6 days vacation 6 days sick leave down from 10 and 5 respectively.

I'm actually not sure if that's a written offer or not. No mention of profit sharing I assume I bring that up now? It's nowhere close to other written offers I've received in terms of content though much of that is in the handbook.

Again I'll post more later.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
6 days vacation is pretty sad. I thought most decent desk jobs gave at least 2 weeks.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Alright well I got the "written offer" at $75k. I've browsed through the employee handbook, and yeah the policies seem a little dickish. I'm not sure how to feel about it. More later when I get back.

I'm actually not sure if that's a written offer or not. No mention of profit sharing I assume I bring that up now? It's nowhere close to other written offers I've received in terms of content though much of that is in the handbook.

I would ask them to put it in writing, and it's also not too late to negotiate benefits, I don't think.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Counter at $85k, 15 days vacation, 15 sick.

What's the 401k/Insurance look like?

I mean, counter if you want. You're playing with house money, so make whatever counter you'd like and if they want you, they'll meet you or give you a better offer, or they'll cut you loose, and hey, you weren't going to take it anyway.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Not all employers are willing to haggle like the shopkeepers in Moria (the roguelike.) If you name a price $20,000 above what their best-paid guy in the position got, they won't necessarily say "We can't do that. How about $90k?" They might just say "Thanks for your time. We'll get back to you." (Of course they will not get back to you.) Often it can be best to just ask for what you really want, plus a little more for luck.

This is a good point, though the market's still pretty good for devs right now so he's more likely to get away with it. Definitely a good minimum to ask for is "more than what you want".

How many paid holidays (in addition to the paid vacation)? What's the health insurance like? Other benefits?

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Knyteguy posted:

Re: the not knowing what's going on with devs. He said he doesn't come in very often, as he considers himself retired. The long and the short of what I got from the conversation is he needs someone he can trust to take care of things since he's not around very often. There's not someone there riding the guy in the position on a day to day basis, and there's not daily meetings or anything.

If your boss is so rarely in the office that he wants you to report to him via email why are you not negotiating around that commute? There's no way I'd add an extra two hours per day for a $13k raise; the more hours you work the more those hours should be valued, not less.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
OK a lot coming at me as I just had to take my son to urgent care (blocked tear ducts).

My plan is to negotiate, and ask for a day to think about it (tomorrow morning).

bringer posted:

If your boss is so rarely in the office that he wants you to report to him via email why are you not negotiating around that commute? There's no way I'd add an extra two hours per day for a $13k raise; the more hours you work the more those hours should be valued, not less.

I don't believe he'll negotiate on this, but it does come with flex scheduling after I've been there for awhile (and I don't need to ask someone every 5 minutes about the setup). It's 6:00am-8:00am to 3:00pm-5:00pm. That would cut at least 15 minutes each way off. We may be able to mitigate car maintenance and fuel costs if I shared a car with my wife, also. That may very well be possible since they're directly in line with each other.

Working late seems like it would be a rarity, as it doesn't look like I'll have keys to get into or out of the office (as I do now).

What if the profit sharing is a bonus and is pretty consistently $11,000? That would be a $24,000 a year in extra income.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Counter at $85k, 15 days vacation, 15 sick.

What's the 401k/Insurance look like?

I mean, counter if you want. You're playing with house money, so make whatever counter you'd like and if they want you, they'll meet you or give you a better offer, or they'll cut you loose, and hey, you weren't going to take it anyway.

15/15 seems a little steep. I could probably get 10/5 which I'd be OK with. Sick isn't paid out at termination, and I rarely use it.

Benefits:
Insurance:
80% paid , starting after 60 days. My wife's is probably better. Medical/Dental/Vision.

No 401k.

I'm asking about profit sharing now. I was thinking of negotiating for the following:
- 10/6 Vacation/Sick days
- Early review @ 6 months for a raise
- Profit sharing (in writing and with details)

And then deciding on the rest of it: Will the math work, a potential professional issue with the owner of the company, etc.

What do you guys think?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

This is a good point, though the market's still pretty good for devs right now so he's more likely to get away with it. Definitely a good minimum to ask for is "more than what you want".

How many paid holidays (in addition to the paid vacation)? What's the health insurance like? Other benefits?

Missed this. 8 paid holidays (up from my 7).

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Maybe I'm being pessimistic because I worked in a nightmare job only a few years ago, but this guy is putting up more red flags than a Turkish parade and sounds like bad news.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

Okay, let's round up (this is why I asked you to expand out the math, but I can do it too): 2 hours added per day, that's 10 per week. At 50 weeks, that's an extra 500 hours. A standard work year is 2000 hours, so that's a) a 25% increase in how much time you'd be "at work" for a 13k raise (not counting taxes). And it's 500 hours of "not fun" (commuting) in exchange for 13k (NOT COUNTING CAR COSTS OR FUEL COSTS). That's 26 dollars/hr for 500 hours to get 13k. You... can't get 13k worth of freelancing money in 500 hours can you? Because frankly this job definitely doesn't sound good enough career-wise (boss sounds like a dick, more on that below) to do a lateral move for, and you might as well just freelance for the extra money at that point and not have to commute.

Yes, you should say at least $120k in the future, maybe something like this? (Sorry, it's been a while since I've done salary negotiations, though I've successfully asked for a raise a couple times and I always use "well market rate is X" when arguing for that.):

"So, knyte, what kind of salary are you hoping for?"
"I'm hoping for around market rate for my skills and experience, of course. What did you have in mind?"
"Well, how much are you making right now?"
"I'm sorry, but that's confidential."
"Okay, then give us a number."
"Market rate, so that I'd be making a fair rate compared to my equally skilled peers."
"Yeaaaah, but what kind of numbers are you talking about? Specifically."
"Well, if you just want a number, I'd be happy with $120k, but I know that's above market and I'd be willing to consider lower depending on the circumstances and details of the offer, and depending on what kind of work it is, the company culture, et cetera." <-- THIS SHOULD BE A NUMBER THAT WOULD GET YOU TO BASICALLY IMMEDIATELY ACCEPT THE JOB WITH NO FURTHER SALARY NEGOTIATION.
"We can't afford $120k."

GUY SOUNDING LIKE A DICK:

"Oh, developers are all lazy and whatever" -- He's gonna be the one expecting you to work a stupid number of hours or breathing down your neck "why are you on facebook and somethingawful all day instead of working the whole time" (which is kinda rough because a lot of devs I know (in the special snowflake Bay Area) treat programming as a creative job, where there's like, frequent breaks and thinking and most of the physical "typing the code that actually goes into production" time gets scrunched into not a huge portion of work hours, all things considered)

Bad mouthing his former employees to you
Asking questions he shouldn't ask during an interview
Talking about how rarely he interviews/hates interviews
NOT PROFESSIONAL. THESE ARE RED FLAGS -- he won't necessarily be a good reference for you later, and he sounds like he'd be bad at hiring (because he throws off red flags) so your coworkers if you have any probably wouldn't be great either

I dunno what market rate is around where you are but you should find out by checking Glassdoor, yeah; can't you do that by region or something? I assume there's no way for you to network properly with people in the area because you're so niche and there's no tech scene to speak of?

The unprofessional stuff - agreed.

I may be conveying my point incorrectly regarding the developers stuff. I don't think he meant, and I didn't interpret it as, all developers are lazy. Glassdoor doesn't have too good of stats for Reno in the software business. Usually they just provide the national average since there's not enough data.

Let me get back to you on the freelancing stuff. That's still my ideal, even if it would be hard to walk away from a pay raise.

IllegallySober posted:

Every time you post about anything related to interviewing or a job offer or changing jobs I get the sense that you're running in fifteen different directions at once and never getting anywhere.

What is your plan? Where do you want to be, strictly career-wise but detailed- position, salary, responsibilities, growth, etc in 1/3/5 years and how will this job change get you there?

I'm unsure. I was going to cover that this weekend, but this job interview kind of came up. I feel like I need to focus on getting all of the details about this position first, and then I'll go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Assuming $75,000 it's a 13k raise plus profit sharing; I think profit sharing is significant enough to be included, as the company has been stable with around $10,000,000 in revenue each year for the past 5-10 years. Profit sharing wouldn't kick in until about 3-6 months. I was thinking of negotiating that to start at 3 months.

520 hours less family time per year, and effectively a dollar less per hour.

I would have said $100-120k, depending on the market. You make $29/hr now, for a 20% raise ($35/hr) with added commute you'd need at least $91k. And I think that's probably underpaid, but gently caress if I know. *I* wouldn't take w job with that commute for $6-700 a month more.

Knyteguy posted:

gently caress that. I had 18.5 days vacation my first year and now during my third, I have 23.5 days of vacation and 9 holidays. I personally wouldn't work somewhere with less than 15...

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 18, 2016

• Locked thread