Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Had to put setting up my equipment on the back burner for a couple weeks, but I'm heading over to a local audio store today to get my stuff checked out.

Here are some pictures of the amp my dad had. Not sure how all this stuff connects or if this will work with the speakers I bought (pioneer bs22s). Pretty sure the amp was the thing that died, so if it doesn't work out I think I can buy a smaller, cheaper bit of kit to power the speakers, right? I'll ask the guys at the store, but I thought I'd make a follow up post in here since a couple people seemed interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Did you dad build that amp or buy it?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Bought it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
That's a power amp. You have inputs from a pre-amp on one side and speaker connections on the other. Speakers go into the correct impedance clamp, in this case the one marked 4.

If you're looking for a single unit to plug your stuff into, this will not work. You need a preamp. Looking at your posting history, your dad seemed to have one. Was it broken?

Manual: http://www.thehistoryofrecording.com/Manuals/DynaCo/Dynakit_ST70.pdf

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 18, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Well I was correct to assume that it was an ST-70.

Chances are the rectifier tube went out. It was over stressed in the power supply circuit, and it is a relatively uncommon tube. It is the weak point in the amp.

The best option is to replace the power supply board with a modern replacement, either solid state or tubed. There are a lot of great options.

The actual amplifier portion of that design is really good.

I know you have a guy looking at it, but posting over at audiokarma.org would be a good idea. They can point out what steps to take to make sure the gear you picked up lasts a lifetime.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.
Well, it was all peaches and cream then...

System: U-Turn plus turntable, Luxman R-1050, and some Wharfdale Diamond 7.2

After about 2 weeks of play, the volume would dramatically drop off as if the phono pre-amp was on the receiver was being by passed but only for the music, staticky sounds (like those made by dust or a scratch) woulds still be loud. A little tap on the turntable would bring the sound back to normal.

I tried turning on the built in pre-amp on the u-turn. Had the same issue.

Can anyone think of a series of test to determine if it is the u-turn or the (old rear end receiver.) I want to send this u-turn back asap if that is the issue.

Intermittent problems are the worst to troubleshoot any advice would be welcome thanks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If tapping the turntable helps it's gotta be in there somewhere. Check the headshell/cart wiring?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Since I got a record player, I've been listening to LPs every day. I scour net auctions for records that look interesting and keep carrying more and more vinyl home. My modest collection has grown by a hundred new purchases during the last 30 days. Send help.

(I shoulda gotten into this a lot sooner, it's the most fun I've ever had listening to music)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I don't have a high success rate with thrift stores, but I still browse through them when I get a chance because good records can be found sometimes.

I found a professional to look at my CR-820. He is going to charge me a $65 bench fee and give me an estimate from there, which will be applied to the repair cost if I decide to go with him. Since I only paid $10 for the unit it sounds like a fair price.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

I don't have a high success rate with thrift stores, but I still browse through them when I get a chance because good records can be found sometimes.

I found a professional to look at my CR-820. He is going to charge me a $65 bench fee and give me an estimate from there, which will be applied to the repair cost if I decide to go with him. Since I only paid $10 for the unit it sounds like a fair price.

The place I go to charges 40, but that might not mean anything either.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Looking for a cheap amp to use with my AT-LP120 so that I can control the volume when listening through headphones, what I be able to get one for around $50 that isn't any worse than the inbuilt pre-amp?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

BigFactory posted:

The place I go to charges 40, but that might not mean anything either.

The guy I use charges $125/hour. He does house calls only though.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

krampster2 posted:

Looking for a cheap amp to use with my AT-LP120 so that I can control the volume when listening through headphones, what I be able to get one for around $50 that isn't any worse than the inbuilt pre-amp?

If you are happy with how loud it is already you can use a thing like this:http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7116

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

krampster2 posted:

Despite the unfortunate ~audophile~ name, the TCC TC-750 is the go-to preamp and has a volume knob. You'll probably also need an RCA-to-3.5mm adapter.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Are Audio Engine A5+ still a solid choice for hooking up to a turntable? I have a very open apartment, and while I don't expect full booming sound, I want something solid -- and to avoid fiddling with a preamp or receiver. I'll be using an older technics turntable I've had for years, but plan on upgrading to an LP-120 soon

(And, secondary: is there any benefit to getting the bamboo casing instead of the black?)

edit: I got a steal on a set of black A5+ and snapped them up. If they're terrible for their intended purpose, I'll move them to my bedroom and get speakers better suited to the job. If they're great, well, I'll be super pleased.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 24, 2016

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

TomR posted:

If you are happy with how loud it is already you can use a thing like this:http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7116

Oh really? I thought I might have been able to but worried it might create a bottleneck in my system or something. I know very little about this stuff though haha

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Bitchkrieg posted:

Are Audio Engine A5+ still a solid choice for hooking up to a turntable? I have a very open apartment, and while I don't expect full booming sound, I want something solid -- and to avoid fiddling with a preamp or receiver. I'll be using an older technics turntable I've had for years, but plan on upgrading to an LP-120 soon

(And, secondary: is there any benefit to getting the bamboo casing instead of the black?)

edit: I got a steal on a set of black A5+ and snapped them up. If they're terrible for their intended purpose, I'll move them to my bedroom and get speakers better suited to the job. If they're great, well, I'll be super pleased.

I think they sound quite nice but aren't worth their full retail price. I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

Also do some research, there's a good chance your older Technics turntable is much better than the Lp120 depending on the model and condition.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bitchkrieg posted:

Aside from the fact that black is far and away the ugliest color Audioengine make? I can personally vouch for the quality of both the white and bamboo finishes, and they both look way nicer to me than the black does.

Audioengine say that the bamboo speaker cabinet performs negligibly better than the MDF in testing- not enough to justify the added expense on sound quality alone, but it's arguably a perk if you're already willing to spend extra for the prettier material. In my experience, it's also a bit more durable but you probably wouldn't have an occasion to really notice that.

The A5+ is an awesome powered speaker and it should pair well with something like an LP120 (and you'll need to add an external preamp if your TT doesn't have one). That said, I've heard that similar arrangements can have a tendency to be noisy and that the 120's built-in preamp isn't the best (granted, this is coming from Internet audiophiles, who will complain and groupthink about literally anything). In any case, know that the only real benefit you're getting in such an arrangement is the space savings of not having a dedicated receiver/amp. The most "fiddling" you'd ever end up doing with a standalone receiver and some passive speakers is changing the volume and selecting the input device. The A5+ has automatic input switching (or maybe they're just all on all the time?) but you'll still have to change the volume yourself.

Also, you may want to look at Audioengine's new flagship HD6- which aside from being a little bit bigger than the A5+, add a user-upgradeable Bluetooth module (presumably for when the tech changes) and optical input. They seem to be more designed for what you're looking to do than the A5+, which are still near-field computer speakers at heart.

Tldr: An LP120/A5+ combo would probably be a dope setup but you're still gonna be "fiddling with a receiver." It'll just be built into the speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Aside from the fact that black is far and away the ugliest color Audioengine make? I can personally vouch for the quality of both the white and bamboo finishes, and they both look way nicer to me than the black does.

Audioengine say that the bamboo speaker cabinet performs negligibly better than the MDF in testing- not enough to justify the added expense on sound quality alone, but it's arguably a perk if you're already willing to spend extra for the prettier material. In my experience, it's also a bit more durable but you probably wouldn't have an occasion to really notice that.

The A5+ is an awesome powered speaker and it should pair well with something like an LP120 (and you'll need to add an external preamp if your TT doesn't have one). That said, I've heard that similar arrangements can have a tendency to be noisy and that the 120's built-in preamp isn't the best (granted, this is coming from Internet audiophiles, who will complain and groupthink about literally anything). In any case, know that the only real benefit you're getting in such an arrangement is the space savings of not having a dedicated receiver/amp. The most "fiddling" you'd ever end up doing with a standalone receiver and some passive speakers is changing the volume and selecting the input device. The A5+ has automatic input switching (or maybe they're just all on all the time?) but you'll still have to change the volume yourself.

Also, you may want to look at Audioengine's new flagship HD6- which aside from being a little bit bigger than the A5+, add a user-upgradeable Bluetooth module (presumably for when the tech changes) and optical input. They seem to be more designed for what you're looking to do than the A5+, which are still near-field computer speakers at heart.

Tldr: An LP120/A5+ combo would probably be a dope setup but you're still gonna be "fiddling with a receiver." It'll just be built into the speakers.
Did someone give you that avatar or did you choose it yourself?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Did someone give you that avatar or did you choose it yourself?

All me, baby. Why?

The loop is from the "Wizards" episode from season 1.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

All me, baby. Why?

The loop is from the "Wizards" episode from season 1.

Just never understood gross avatars, especially with cartoons, I guess. Like the guy with the avatar of the cartoon eating the enormous like knobby dick or something.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

It's pudding or yogurt so it's not THAT gross but yeah I can see why it might gross you out if you didn't know the context :v:

Mandactyl
Jun 1, 2011

A kinder, gentler herpes
Grimey Drawer
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/5416385717.html

Just in case you wanted to enjoy the brown note from the comfort of your living room.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Just never understood gross avatars, especially with cartoons, I guess. Like the guy with the avatar of the cartoon eating the enormous like knobby dick or something.

Basically this (except it's mayonnaise, not pudding)vvv

Quidnose posted:

It's pudding or yogurt so it's not THAT gross but yeah I can see why it might gross you out if you didn't know the context :v:

It's an actual screengrab from the show, not like fanart or anything actually gross and explicit. But yes, the joke is that it looks like jizz if you're not in the know.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Thanks. I got a set of mint black for $180, so I'm fine with that for now. The bamboo are gorgeous, so maybe down the road I'll grab those.

I'm vacillating between a UTurn, Pro-Ject, or an LP120. Regardless I'm planning on getting a preamp; I'm just a huge baby about acquiring big/extra electronics and wanted to avoid a receiver if at all possible.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Bitchkrieg posted:

Thanks. I got a set of mint black for $180, so I'm fine with that for now. The bamboo are gorgeous, so maybe down the road I'll grab those.

I'm vacillating between a UTurn, Pro-Ject, or an LP120. Regardless I'm planning on getting a preamp; I'm just a huge baby about acquiring big/extra electronics and wanted to avoid a receiver if at all possible.

$180 is a pretty fantastic deal on those speakers, in my opinion. I can vouch for the Debut Carbon DC being awesome. My local hifi store was running a promo for them during Christmas for $350 so I picked one up and it sounds great. It looks very nice in the gloss white as well.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 26, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bitchkrieg posted:

Nice going on the price. I can't fault you for going with the black there.

All three of those turntables are good. I'd probably pick the ProJect Debut Carbon over the UTurn but the LP120 makes a compelling case for itself with the built-in preamp and Start/Stop/Speed controls.

If you don't mind spending more and dealing with some inconvenience, go with the ProJect. The 2M Red it ships with is like $100 on its own, vs the $45 retail price on the AT95e. That said, both are excellent cartridges and you'd probably have to work hard to notice a difference, particularly coming out of small speakers.

The ProJect requires you to pull the platter off and move the belt in order to change from 33 to 45 rpm. My gf owns a Debut III and, in my personal opinion, the process is more kludgey and cumbersome than the company would like you to believe. A lot of people don't seem to care but it's definitely not as convenient as punching a "33/45" button, so just be aware of that if you plan on listening to tons of singles or audiophile pressings or whatever.

ProJect recently released an upgraded version of the Debut Carbon that adds built-in speed controls and their snazzy acrylic platter for a combined extra $150-$200 on the original price (or you could just buy their external speed control box for like $130). You'll end up with a very attractive workhorse turntable- probably the last you'll need to buy. But you're also spending $500-600 at that point, which probably wasn't your goal.

On the other end of the equation, you've got the LP120, which costs anywhere from $250 to $325. While a lot of hobbyists dismiss it as a much cheaper, more plastic facsimile of the venerable and forever-beloved Technics SL1200 (and it absolutely is), it's a thoroughly capable, solid-performing turntable engineered to satisfy the needs of *most people* along with DJs. Like the 1200, it's not quite fully automatic, but it's got the sort of speed and cueing buttons/sliders/knobs that are absent on the Debut.

People complain about its relatively creaky, plasticky construction. I've heard that the built-in pre-amp doesn't sound as good as a cheap external one or dedicated phono stage. I've also heard complaints about drive motor noise. I can't speak to the validity of these complaints or say how much those issues may or may not factor into your own experience. It's worth considering that the LP120 is probably one of the top two best-selling turntables of the last 5 years and likely has tons of satisfied users who wouldn't find a reason to complain. It's also worth noting that audiophile reviews- particularly those on message boards regarding vinyl and especially those that talk about "budget" gear- are often rolled in healthy amounts of bullshit and groupthink. The SL1200 is the definition of "brick shithouse" and commands high prices on the Internet for a reason. The LP120 is no SL1200, but that doesn't mean that it won't make the average vinyl hobbyist perfectly happy for 1-10 years.

I wouldn't really call it a straight downgrade from the ProJect, more of a diagonal sidestep. You trade a subjective degree of sound quality and materials/aesthetic for a lower cost and increased convenience.

If I were you and I wanted to be thrifty, I'd start with the LP120 and hold off on buying an external preamp. Try it out with the Audioengines, see if it works for you- it just well might. If you don't like the internal pre, get an inexpensive external one. Later on, if you decide that you'd rather have a ProJect or any other TT, pop that badboy on Craigslist and recoup ~75% of its cost (obviously don't trash it).

Otherwise just roll with the ProJect. It sounds awesome and looks dope, even if it's quirky and costs a bit more. You can't really go wrong.

Brain Issues posted:

I can vouch for the Debut Carbon DC being awesome. My local hifi store was running a promo for them during Christmas for $350 so I picked one up and it sounds great. It looks very nice in the gloss white as well.

White and Lambo Green are the two best Debut colors.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddammit I hate skinflint sperglords.

I have a set of Sony SS-G1 Mk2 speakers for sale currently. They have some wear and tear and are hideously late-70s brown, and the tweeters have been replaced at some point. I have them up at a reasonable starting price, fully expecting people to haggle a bit, and I'll probably let them go for around half of what I'm asking. But if someone happens to want to pay full price, I certainly won't mind.

Cue legions of jerks messaging me to tell me that the tweeters are not the original units and that they would only pay 1/10th of what I'm asking. Who loving cares, you goddamn sperglords? It's a set of ~35 year old speakers with obvious wear and tear, and they've been priced accordingly.

As if I'm going to give them away for free just because some wise-rear end felt it was necessary to point out that they are no longer numbers-matching in the original packaging, hand-delivered by the president of Sony himself.

The new tweeters are probably better than the originals anyway.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
A lot of guys are used to finding this stuff at yard sales, so they hate paying anything close to Ebay or CL prices.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 27, 2016

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

You have been remarkably helpful and thorough with your response - thank you so much. I have a respectable vinyl collection already and will more seriously look at the ProJect Debut; I didn't have a good idea of how well they were, technically, (they certainly are beautiful!) and didn't want to sink a ton of cash into a TT without being confident in its performance. However, if it performs well and will last, I'm down to drop $500. The white one is especially slick and would look great in my apartment.

I really only listen to LPs, too, so adjusting the speed is not a concern for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^^No worries dude! You'll have a lot of fun with the Debut.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone know much about Grundig turntables?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-stereo-audio/grundig-turntable/1152115818

This seems like a cheap price.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Does anyone know much about Grundig turntables?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-stereo-audio/grundig-turntable/1152115818

This seems like a cheap price.

It's probably a cheap record player. Who knows who was making stuff under the Grundig name in the 80s. I'm sure it wasn't made in Germany.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Just finished up this nice little Kenwood KR-6400, just 45 WPC but enough for most people. It was missing a side but had my Dad craft up some Cherry replacements while I did a full service. I think it turned out pretty awesome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Awesome. I love Kenwood.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Those panels look nice. What work did you do on it? I had a KR-6400 that I replaced the bulbs and relay in.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Just a standard cleaning of all the switches/POTs. Going to let it be the demo system in the store for a few days make sure it's 100 percent. Just finished a JVC JR-300 MK2 as well, which I've already got a buyer lined up. My shop is doing ok, I have around six complete systems up and running for customers to check out, so I hope this tax season is good for people.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That wood is pretty.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That looks pretty good. Glad to hear the store is doing okay.

This was in a related video of something. Is this totally retarded or a good idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It works but the amount of time it takes to dry makes it not worthwhile. Not to mention the risk of glue seeping onto the label.