Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Does that IMS tank come in anything other than yellow :S

black, natural, blue, and green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Threw this on because my little 125 has no storage other than the little tool tube on the back, and some handguards in a vein attempt to keep some wind/rocks off.

Pretty happy for a grand total of £30

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nothing to my ride, but stuck some instant gasket on my upper visor seal. gently caress knows if it'll actually work at keeping water out, but it's only got to stay in place for the next two days, and I'm hoping the mere act of performing this bodge will reduce the risk of rain (forecast for Thursday/Friday has been seesawing between deluge and dry two or three times a day for the last week, and I've got 120 miles of commute to cover :pray:)

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

You just had to call out English weather didn't you :britain:

At leased those bags are slightly waterproof :(

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Replaced throttle tube, replaced battery, and have a replacement petcock arriving (to take the place of the current one which only works on RES). Am really happy to get my CX650 back on the road. Perfect riding weather down here in Florida. The new Mikunis I put on are great, though my fuel economy is suffering for the fun I'm having twisting the throttle.

Now to work on my brother's CL350...

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
New clutch lever, left handlebar, grips, and :swoon: riser blocks :swoon:

(not shown: handlebar. It's a bar.)

I had an early, and thankfully, not too costly lesson in making sure my kickstand was well-planted.

Victim #1

Victim #2

Dickbag clutch lever spring #1 (apprehended and reinstalled)

The grips came highly recommended on the EX-500 forums, so I figured it was worth the $15 to try them out. The stock ones are old and hard as rocks.
The riser blocks went on smoothly, with a little coaxing from a rubber hammer, and they are the hugest 1.25 inches on the planet. My old man back is so much happier.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Cross-posting from the gear thread about shorty levers because I realized it belongs more here. I picked up speedmetal billet clutch and brake levers from cycle gear for my sv650. I broke the brake handle when the bike fell while parking on a hill (popped my cherry) and needed to replace it anyways, so I picked up the matching clutch lever as well

I successfully installed the replacement brake lever; did a decent test ride after using only the rear brakes and checked the rotors at several intervals: the rear rotor was warm, the front cold so I'm assuming there's no contact and the lever is fitting correctly. When I started using the front the lever feels great.

Ran into a problem on the clutch lever though. When I'm trying to insert the new lever it gets about half-way in and then its too tight to advance. When placing in the OEM lever (which is working fine) there's a lot of clearance there and it slips in super easy. Looking in the lever action its pretty dirty, but I can't imagine that there's so much grime that an aftermarket part that's machined properly won't fit where the original handle slots right in. Sound like a defective part?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pikey posted:

an aftermarket part that's machined properly

Could be a defective part, could be that this assumption is defective. Not uncommon for aftermarket bits to have poor fit. If you hold the bits next to each other, do they have the same profile? Perhaps it's meant for a different spec. If it's a few fractions of a millimeter out, I'd just file it until it fit.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Welp, just dropped about AUD $250 on Cyclops 3800 lumen LED bulbs for my Striple. Thought about buying one at a time to make sure they're able to be tuned to match the stock beam pattern but the decent shipping option is USD $53 or thereabouts so gently caress that. I will of course let you all know how it goes.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Welp, just dropped about AUD $250 on Cyclops 3800 lumen LED bulbs for my Striple. Thought about buying one at a time to make sure they're able to be tuned to match the stock beam pattern but the decent shipping option is USD $53 or thereabouts so gently caress that. I will of course let you all know how it goes.

I've been really happy with mine, and it's been about a year now with no failures of any kind, and no dimming of the light. I need to get one to replace my high beam next.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

What bike is that, and what aftermarket gauge is that? Is it streetfightered? Looks like an ex250...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am assuming it's an EX500

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Coydog posted:

What bike is that, and what aftermarket gauge is that? Is it streetfightered? Looks like an ex250...

clutchpuck posted:

I am assuming it's an EX500

Bingo. 2nd gen. I bought it already naked with that gauge, so I'd have to look, when I get home. I have future plans of putting a trail tech vapor on it, since that's just a speedo.

The bike's conversion has become more clearly a rough job, since the "my first biek!" wore off. It's mostly cosmetic, though. The mechanicals are all good, and it gives me an excuse to farklebate, so I'm happy with it.

[Edit]: I had a ton of stuff to do yesterday, and this slipped my mind. There is zero branding on the gauge, so I have no idea who made it. Probably some of China's finest. I'll include a couple more snaps, when I'm not phone posting at work.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 13, 2016

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I broke the center stand :(

Hopefully it can be bent back and welded

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's steel, so it can certainly be hammered back and welded. I've done similar things a number of times. The cost will depend on whether you want it to look stock again (involving careful welding and filling), or just want it to be functional (blob on some metal with a buzz box).

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Functional is fine by me. I know someone with a welder so I'll try to get it fixed this weekend or next.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

SDG +1 seat. Can't wait to go on a thousand mile trip with this one.

Bike also hit the big 3-0.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Replaced my burned-out tail light with a new one.

Swanky, too! Got a Phillips LED and it's nice and bright and the brake light is nicer and brighter as well. I didn't know my taillight had two filaments, one for brake, and one for the regular light. Only the taillight filament was broken, so the brake was still working.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

SDG +1 seat. Can't wait to go on a thousand mile trip with this one.

Bike also hit the big 3-0.

How on earth did you do 30k miles with that stock seat?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Partial Octopus posted:

How on earth did you do 30k miles with that stock seat?

rear end of lead. :v: I bought the frame with 25 thousand. comfy boots + standing.

iirc the PO had some lowered gel seat on the thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

It's steel, so it can certainly be hammered back and welded. I've done similar things a number of times. The cost will depend on whether you want it to look stock again (involving careful welding and filling), or just want it to be functional (blob on some metal with a buzz box).

Might be cheaper to just buy a new one. They're usually $15-40 on my bikes... I don't know about that guy though.

Edit: The spring might be a bitch to put back on. But I have a trick:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today I turned off the alarm on the cbf. I didn't activate it on purpose - I found the fob on the floor underneath a bunch of crap and I don't remember when it got there. Some of the crap must have pushed the arm button at some point, so the battery is probably flat as a pancake from running the alarm for maybe a week or more :cripes:

Only found out when I bumped into it in the garage and the beeper went off.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Swapped led headlight to a more road legal cyclops version, changed tail bulb to led. installed new screw thread in one of the 4 contact point of the front cowling, as i had spotted that one of the expanding screw plugs was missing when I winter stored it. Tightened the oil plug as it had dripped about 0,5 dl in the 2 months it had sat. I only had an adjustable wrench that didn't fit flush when I changed oil before storing it, used a proper socked now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Might be cheaper to just buy a new one. They're usually $15-40 on my bikes... I don't know about that guy though.

Edit: The spring might be a bitch to put back on. But I have a trick:

That's an awesome trick and I'm keeping it for future use.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Use this one awesome tricks goons don't know about: get a friend to help you
:goonsay:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Use this one awesome tricks goons don't know about : get a friend to help you
:goonsay:

What, uh, what's a "friend?"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's like a set of Helping HandsTM but made of flesh instead of metal.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's like a set of Helping HandsTM but made of flesh instead of metal.

Eewwww, siiiiiiick.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I know right

Best not to think about it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
You can also use one of these if you're soberdaring and friendless.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/clamps/xp600-one-handed-bar-clamps-spreaders

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

So, my preliminary findings on the question of "will Cyclops 3800 lumen LED headlights drop into a 2013-onward Street Triple and give a beam pattern that's the same as stock?" could be summed up with "LOL nope", despite the manufacturer's advice that it should be no problem. To be fair, given most of his clients are ADV peeps or just people who don't really care much if light is spraying everywhere, he probably wouldn't know if there are problems.

With the deepest shim installed the cutoff is not as lumpy as straight out of the box, but it's still not great, and I can't tell whether the light spill in other areas is worse because of the design of the bulb or just the fact that it's brighter. I'll be doing some more intensive testing, probably with the lights off the bike and mounted to something so that I can power them artificially (otherwise the bike has to be running) and dick with them in real time to see what can be done to improve the beam. Shielding the underside of the low beam emitter will be top priority, I reckon that will solve 95% of the riddle.

Also, it's a bitch fitting everything in the bucket without stuff fouling and blocking the lens assembly when you try to seat it back in place on this bike. Another reason experimenting on the bike is extremely painful.

/anal retentiveness

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So, my preliminary findings on the question of "will Cyclops 3800 lumen LED headlights drop into a 2013-onward Street Triple and give a beam pattern that's the same as stock?" could be summed up with "LOL nope", despite the manufacturer's advice that it should be no problem. To be fair, given most of his clients are ADV peeps or just people who don't really care much if light is spraying everywhere, he probably wouldn't know if there are problems.

With the deepest shim installed the cutoff is not as lumpy as straight out of the box, but it's still not great, and I can't tell whether the light spill in other areas is worse because of the design of the bulb or just the fact that it's brighter. I'll be doing some more intensive testing, probably with the lights off the bike and mounted to something so that I can power them artificially (otherwise the bike has to be running) and dick with them in real time to see what can be done to improve the beam. Shielding the underside of the low beam emitter will be top priority, I reckon that will solve 95% of the riddle.

Also, it's a bitch fitting everything in the bucket without stuff fouling and blocking the lens assembly when you try to seat it back in place on this bike. Another reason experimenting on the bike is extremely painful.

/anal retentiveness

My brother, have you tried the superduke?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

builds character posted:

My brother, have you tried the superduke?

No, and I'm not sure which part of my post this pertains to! :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

No, and I'm not sure which part of my post this pertains to! :)

It looks like he's a street preacher and he's telling the good news to everyone passing by.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
He's saying the headlights might be a direct fit for the Superduke, so try that.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Forks rebuilt with new seals, bushings, Gold Valve emulators and RaceTech springs (.90kg). Finally making progress on my winter project.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

New rear tire installed (Sport Demon). Despite only going up from 130/80/16 to 130/90/16, and being proper size, it looks MASSIVE. The old tire looked pretty much the same size as the front. The new one looks like some overstylized 80s race/anime sportbike and I kind of love it. Amazing stopping traction, so far.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Did you take the flames off yourself? I still can't decide on mine, they're so silly, but then it won't be perfect and stock.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nope, the first owner removed them. Both times I saw a red ex250 for sale without the flames it was practically irresistable. The first time, I ignored it and got a different bike of poor choices. The second time I was in the market, I didn't make that mistake and practically stole this from someone.

I'm admittedly biased against flames on any vehicle, and think they look atrocious. On a high volume Japanese sportbike, though? It's lunacy. It's like an afterthought design choice on a Friday ten seconds before closing, and they stuck with it. Without the stickers, the EX250 has a simple, yet defined, aesthetic that stirs me almost as much as the ducati supersports. I will accept rad 90s decal jobs, too, though.

I remember you liked your flames, so just keep em on. But your black bike would look so sharp without them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Rode it home from the dealership!