Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Xaerael posted:

No, this is no good either. If we're having Space cats, we need space mice too.

Hav posted:

Space catnip is just silly, though.

NO! IT'S FOR THE FIDELITY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

I would love to think some dev has a poop pipeline and sits at his desk for 14 hours working on size, color and consistency cause some dude on the forum requested it and crobbets said yes

They'd be working on a poop pipeline in a company that is basically a bigger poop pipeline. Maybe Ben would walk by every now and then and play the Inception horn noise on his phone.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

You have inspired me.

I spawn my ship, run out of the hangar but my ship is gone
It all seems, somehow less impressive than I once believed
Piss in the wind
All it is is piss in the wind

What went wrong, where are all the jpegs that are owed to me
All my dreams, none have come to pass but I refuse to see
Piss in the wind
All of it is piss in the wind

Just hang on, never ask hard questions never ask them why
They slip more dates, just send your money don't you even bat an eye
Piss in the wind
Piss in the wind

its beautiful :allears:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'll be really fascinated to see how this all pans out in the long term.

When an ~investor~ gets dicked over by a would-be company, they try to recoup their losses, maybe sue the offender, and eventually move on. There might be some hurt feelings. There will probably be some burned bridges. But ultimately both parties are protected by the professional relationship.

When backers are involved in most kickstarters there is an understanding that the project might never see the light of day. There are some positive tradeoffs: the money might fund a project that a 'real' investor won't touch. The monies involved are much smaller. There is usually an allure of free stuff or gifts for backers, should the project reach completion.

SC is the first project where ~backers~ have given money on the same scale as ~investors~. Nobody gives that kind of money away just because it's fun. Instead of financial payoff they're banking on the idea that this will be the virtual reality they've been denied after years and years of the big publishers flushing away their dreams. An investor rarely cares about the shape of the final project so long as it offers them a return on their investment, but for the whales behind SC the shape of the thing is all that really matters. How do you recoup losses on a dream?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if i could sing reasonably well and could play guitar I would totally record all these songs. Maybe I should practice guitar again. Maybe they should just put it in the game instead IDK

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
If people are bored with elite, play with goons. Takes a lot of the boredom out of the grind and they do some fun in universe stuff which I can't confirm or deny at this time.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Libluini posted:

:allears: I have to confess, sometimes I love hearing from people with different tastes. Maybe I'm too curious, but listening to someone describe his day (as long as it isn't boring) is just really interesting. Especially as a contrast to my own view on things.

There's a reason exploration in Elite is called "space madness", us explorers are basically so far removed from other players, there's often not much overlap in our activities.

True story: The first time I heard about this "400 billion star systems"-thing I had to ask like three times if this was true because I couldn't believe god was real and had just granted my second deepest wish.

Of course if you just want to shoot things all the time with some NPCs telling you what to do, Elite will be the most boring thing for you.
I was just out on Merope 5c-- to examine the recent discovery of barnacles and alien structures in the game.

Took me hours of travel time over multiple days to get to the right system (I should've taken my Cobra, not my Clipper.) Then it took over an hour to get to the right coordinates on Merope 5c.

Parked my craft, hopped into my buggy and drove to it. There was an Asp parked nearby-- the player was a part of a patrol to keep griefers from blowing up tourists like me and he took it seriously enough to make me smile. We chatted via text a bit, then he resumed patrol. So I got a lot of pics and video. Another player showed up and started ramming me with his buggy while I was in debug mode, then he drove off.

I called for my ship to return to my buggy so I could leave-- watched it fly in beautifully and park just over the horizon. Drove to it to discovered it had parked on his Python and he couldnt leave. I enjoyed his frustration for a bit, then sent my ship back out to let him depart. It was a typical day in Elite.

I'm enough of a sci-fi game nerd to enjoy the simple pleasures, as they are plentiful. It's frustrating, obviously, that Frontier pushes their lore reveals forward at a snail's pace, and being vehicle-bound is a huge governor on the thrill-potential of the game. And yet it passes a test that few sci-fi games have for me-- making me feel like I'm really exploring in the vastness of space. I can only imagine how much richer it would feel in VR-- and I plan to buy a Vive to find out.

I admire Elite more than I love it-- but it gets better with each passing month, which is more than can be said for Star Citizen. By the time Star Citizen fully implodes, Elite will likely have assembled the masterpiece that we see slowly being pieced together. And I expect Frontier will welcome the poor huddled masses to experience the Best drat Slace Sim Ever-- without ever making the claim. There won't be a need, because the other one will be gone.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Every layer of promised detail reduced the number of commercially available options by an order of magnitude. The number one factor is the netcode, followed closely by the physics code.

Normally in a space game the complexities are going to arise from the interaction of a bunch of ships in a 3D space, and smoothly maintaining all their position data without just dumping gigabytes of updates on the server. Usually this is done with a limited predictive model that the clients use to sort of project where the other ships are going, and then a few packets per second to update those vectors. Errors creep in but you don't notice them because you're 200m from the other ship moving at 300m/s.

But then Star Citizen fucks all that up by having FPS. Now you've got to maintain all of the stuff above, and in every single ship you have a localized grid where you're trying to deal with positions on the centimeter scale- so suddenly you can't just fudge it, you have to have precise numbers updated constantly for the ships because how else do your spacemen know where to stand?

Then on top of that you're now tracking all the regular FPS stuff in addition to the ships- player position and health and ammo and bullet paths and all that. Think about how much lag you experience in an average game of Battlefront and then think about how much worse it'd be if the entire landscape was broken up into 10mx10m chunks, zooming around at hundreds of miles per hour in random vectors that need to look exactly the same to everyone.

Then on top of that you add the complexity of MMO persistence. Objects need to remain across all clients, so no soda machine that only one guy can see for example. So now you're posting all kinds of object physics data to all the clients as well, along with NPC information and loot and all of that.

When they started this project I looked at it from a programmer's perspective and said "There is no loving way." Then I saw that he'd picked Cryengine rather than building his own, and it was all downhill from there. Chris built this thing to be a beautiful failure- there was no other way it could go.

Considering that I have done all that and more in previous games, and upping the ante in LOD, the problem they have is about designing a game the engine they picked, can't build. And for the type of game he wants, the entire team is on a learning curve. That makes it worse.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Shart Marine will never be as good as this, if it ever comes out...:

http://i.imgur.com/XAqHAMA.gifv

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I love that Cryengine is made for FPS, and the number one thing their team hosed up is FPS.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Security in the UK studio is surprisingly lax. I just dressed up as a guy not carrying a camera, and I was able to walk right past Sandi like I wasn't even there. I got to glance at a couple of pages of the SQ42 script, reproduced here for your convenience.

MARK HAMILL: Where is Bishop?

JOHN RHYS-DAVIES: They have him, in the belly of that steel beast.

MARK HAMILL: He's captured! We'll have to break him out - I'll ram the ship with these sword attachments on my wings!

MARK STRONG: A sword. How human...

MARK HAMILL: At least I have an idea, I don't hear any of your plans. Is anyone here to help me or just give me a rash of poo poo?

GILLIAN ANDERSON: Why did they assign me to you in the first place, Old Man? To debunk your work, to rein you in, to shut you down...

MARK HAMILL: That's not helping. OK lock s-foils in attack position...we will have victory!

ANDY SERKIS: And take it for MMEEEE!!!

MARK HAMILL: For us, you mean. Victory for all of us.

ANDY SERKIS: Yes, we... we meant for us.

MARK HAMILL: OK we're getting in range. Let's do this carefully - Bishop is getting up there in years now, we don't know how much he can take. Does anyone know how old he is, anyway?

LIAN CUNNINGHAM: Sixty-seven, and when he dies, who's in command? A half-grown boy, the product of incest?

MARK HAMILL: Whoa, whoa, where the gently caress did that come from? Remind me never to discuss politics with you.

SANDI GARDINER: Look at me! Look at me!

MARK HAMILL: OK who brought this bitch along? She keeps getting in front of my ship and obstructing my view of the target.

SANDI GARDINER: I'm one of the world's best fighter pilots without a shadow of a doubt and always have been since I was a very small girl...

MARK HAMILL: No reward is worth this...

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

spacetoaster posted:

We figured this out a few threads ago. Making exact copies might be hard without the exact files CIG used might be difficult.

But making significantly better quality goon versions that are cheaper than 10bux would be pretty simple (if we got over a hundred of us willing to do it).

FYI these are examples of what you can get in metal business cards:

Count me in.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Darkpriest667 posted:

Count me in.

If they can ship them with a razor's edge then you'd better make an extra for CR.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

get so salty about the internet your friends get this for you brehs.

Interesting choice of award. It looks like the sort of thing you'd have at a graveside, with a photo of the dearly deceased in the circle.

Well trolled whoever bought Sandi that.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Homeless Santa just released the media schedule for the week.

spoiler: no mention of the star marine update

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

get so salty about the internet your friends get this for you brehs.

did she award herself a prestigious Nettie Award?

those things are like the pulitzers of the internet

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man you apparently cant post anywhere unless you're a backer or their forums are poo poo IDK which, I keep getting SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG. Is even general chat blocked to non paying people?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

bumbles posted:

cool 2 catz

Cat crew 4 lyfe

Also

:eyepop: wow rude!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xaerael posted:

No, this is no good either. If we're having Space cats, we need space mice too.

Which brings us back to space plague and gives the research ships something to do.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

man you apparently cant post anywhere unless you're a backer or their forums are poo poo IDK which, I keep getting SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG. Is even general chat blocked to non paying people?

Yeah you get a scrub tier version of the forums, I think you can post in Newcomers or some such poo poo though

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah I knew it was limited, but I thought it was only for the concern and some other parts, not even general chat holey moley. Can't wait for someone to read this and call me out on the irony of posting this on SA with its $10 paywall

eat poo poo citizens your "game" is poo poo

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

MeLKoR posted:

Which brings us back to space plague and gives the research ships something to do.

I want accurate high poly count rendered space microbes though, which reproduce correctly and spread like viruses do in the real world. It's important for fidelity.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

Security in the UK studio is surprisingly lax. I just dressed up as a guy not carrying a camera, and I was able to walk right past Sandi like I wasn't even there. I got to glance at a couple of pages of the SQ42 script, reproduced here for your convenience.

MARK HAMILL: Where is Bishop?

JOHN RHYS-DAVIES: They have him, in the belly of that steel beast.

MARK HAMILL: He's captured! We'll have to break him out - I'll ram the ship with these sword attachments on my wings!

MARK STRONG: A sword. How human...

MARK HAMILL: At least I have an idea, I don't hear any of your plans. Is anyone here to help me or just give me a rash of poo poo?

GILLIAN ANDERSON: Why did they assign me to you in the first place, Old Man? To debunk your work, to rein you in, to shut you down...

MARK HAMILL: That's not helping. OK lock s-foils in attack position...we will have victory!

ANDY SERKIS: And take it for MMEEEE!!!

MARK HAMILL: For us, you mean. Victory for all of us.

ANDY SERKIS: Yes, we... we meant for us.

MARK HAMILL: OK we're getting in range. Let's do this carefully - Bishop is getting up there in years now, we don't know how much he can take. Does anyone know how old he is, anyway?

LIAN CUNNINGHAM: Sixty-seven, and when he dies, who's in command? A half-grown boy, the product of incest?

MARK HAMILL: Whoa, whoa, where the gently caress did that come from? Remind me never to discuss politics with you.

SANDI GARDINER: Look at me! Look at me!

MARK HAMILL: OK who brought this bitch along? She keeps getting in front of my ship and obstructing my view of the target.

SANDI GARDINER: I'm one of the world's best fighter pilots without a shadow of a doubt and always have been since I was a very small girl...

MARK HAMILL: No reward is worth this...

I call bullshit, the real script would have everyone asking where she was if she wasn't on screen. :colbert:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

tastychicken posted:

Oh gently caress me, what does any of that even mean?
It seems to be a really bizarre intelligent design website.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah you get a scrub tier version of the forums, I think you can post in Newcomers or some such poo poo though

Yeah it really hosed up my plans to create an account as the Emperor of the Fourth Stimpire and just follow that dude around being a dick to him.

Goddamn goons, you ruined the CIG forums.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah it really hosed up my plans to create an account as the Emperor of the Fourth Stimpire and just follow that dude around being a dick to him.

Hmm, maybe I need to expand my forum trawling. Are these other forums entertaining?

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 19, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm actually surprised they ever let non-backers post

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Rajafa's less than 30 minutes per day on Reddit are so productive

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41jp87/106000000_in_funding_reached/cz38t5g?context=3

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Very productive indeed

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41jp87/106000000_in_funding_reached/cz38nfw

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

rajafa's posts actually bum me out because there's going to be a day at some point in the next two years where they play a version of SC and it's not being updated at all and they look at their bank balance and post history and think "what the gently caress did i just do", but at the moment rajafa just can't see it all and doesn't even have a minor amount of skepticism.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Tippis posted:

…also, cat poop and toxoplasmosis. I'm sure most citizens will feel right at home.

Space toxoplasmosis. OMG. Just think of all the different space diseases there could be. I'm honestly quite surprised that hasn't been thoroughly hashed out and included already. Actually, it probably has, and I just wasn't paying attention.

When you take your space dog to chase the space birds and a space raccoon bites the dog and the dog gets space rabies. It could happen.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
rafaja is delusiofaja

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

https://youtu.be/fGx6K90TmCI

Yeah (uh), yeah, yeah (uh) (Grrrr)
Yeah don't get disconnected
This movie poo poo is mine motherfucker
It's not a loving game
gently caress what you heard
It’s what you postin' (it’s what you hearin')
It’s what you postin' (listen)

Chris not gon' give it to ya
gently caress waiting for a game ya never going to own
Chris won't deliver to ya
Knock knock, open up the door, it's real
With the non-stop, shitpost and brainless speel
Post hard getting busy wit it
But I got such a bad post
I'll make a motherfucker wonder why he reddit
drat right and I'll do it again
Cause Derek is right so he gots to win
Break the game wit the enemy
But no matter how many ships I crash with
I'll crash who you sending me
You motherfuckers never wanted nothing, but your PvP cherry saved
Bitch, and that's on a light day
I'm getting down, down like a instance said CRASH!
But won't be the one ending up on his knees (woo)
Shitizen please, if the only thing you cats did
Was came out to play - stay out my way
Motherfucker

First we gonna LAG , then we gonna LOCK
Then we let it CRASH, CLOSE LET IT CLOSE

He not gon' give it to ya

Chris ain't never gave nothing to me
But every time I turn around
Spergs got they wallets out wanting something from him
He ain't got it so you can't get it
Let's leave it at that cause the game ain't wit it
Hit it with full speed, I'm a space jail sperg
So I face the world like it's Ben in the buffet
You against me, me against you
Whatever, whenever sperg, gently caress you gon' do?
I'm a goon in citizen clothing
Only goon that you know that can shill
Come back and get the servers open
I've been shitposting for fifteen years
Shitizens wanna fight me? Fight those tears
I put in development and it's all for the kids
But these spergs done forgot what development is (UH-HUH!)
They don't know who we be
Looking! but they don't know who they see

Aiyyo where my goons at?!
I know I got them down in the game
Give 'em love and they give it back
Talk too much for too long
Don't give up you're too strong (What?!)
Dub to the wow wow honeys (yeah!)
Shoutout to goons that done it
And it ain't even about the game
It's about getting down for what you stand for yo

Malkof fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 19, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

fuzzknot posted:

Space toxoplasmosis. OMG. Just think of all the different space diseases there could be. I'm honestly quite surprised that hasn't been thoroughly hashed out and included already. Actually, it probably has, and I just wasn't paying attention.

When you take your space dog to chase the space birds and a space raccoon bites the dog and the dog gets space rabies. It could happen.

Hey, space raccoons would like to point out that space rabies is not exclusive to space raccoons.

The loving nerve of some people.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
Star Citizen: Space Rabies

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Was it fun working with Mark Hammil again?

i love the 10 questions for Roberts segment, where he picks and chooses which questions to answer

open development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41kdxx/sandis_fb_aww_thanks_for_my_late_xmas_present/?sort=new

The anti-B4BG campaign continues in earnest....I guess? I'm not sure what videos he's referring to.

The Rajafa meltdown continues in earnest, too.

• Locked thread