Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GlyphGryph posted:

It's a two-strike system, but the answers available to you and which portion of them are correct vary depending on the things you've done leading up to this point.

That's a nice touch. If you've been a bad enough friend to Kate, is it even possible to succeed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I had a Bad Time with the Kate sequence. In my playthrough, I opted to not intervene between her and David. On the roof, she asked me why I didn't step in. One of my dialogue options was "I've been bullied..." and I picked that as my option thinking Max would FINALLY tell Kate that I didn't step in because David harassed me earlier and I didn't want to get in more poo poo.

Instead, what comes out of her mouth is "I've been bullied before but I stood up for myself and you should too."

jesus christ, max

Granted this is more a fault of the format and dialogue trees in games not telling you exactly what you're going to say but it still hosed me off.

anyway long story short there's a distinct lack of Kate in my file

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nathan is the only one without any redeeming features so far and he hates us already, pin it on him.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
:smith: I hosed up this sequence. I don't know which question I got wrong first, but on the family question I blanked and made the wrong choice. Right after I picked it, I remembered what the right choice was but it was too late.

God I felt like poo poo. I wanted to quit the game when I saw her jump and restart everything, but that would go against the spirit of the game and the situation at hand. I knew I hosed up, I knew what I did wrong. It really did feel like I was responsible for her death.

It's been a long time since a game made me cry like this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I forgot how much of an rear end in a top hat Jefferson is here.
"Maybe she doth protest to much." What an arrogant, victim blaming piece of poo poo! If it wasn't for Max, that would have been the last person Kate ever talked to. (Well, technically Warren talked at her afterwards, but that wasn't a conversation.)
He is a complete failure as an authority figure and everyone should know that.

Blame Jefferson.

Also, blaming Nathan is way to obvious and uninteresting. Everyone knows what will happen if you do that.
But that poll doesn't even look close. :smith:

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 18, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blame Jefferson
Blame Jefferson
With his hipster frame four eyes
And his beard so full of lies
Blame Jefferson
Blame Jefferson

He's not even a real teacher anyway!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
gently caress Jefferson. Nathan is just druggie scum, but Jefferson is a fully adult hipster MRA and that is unforgivable.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I had to stop the video for a second because seriously

gently caress YOU MARK. Get impaled on a flagpole you piece of poo poo.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I saved Kate on my playthrough but drat that was one of the most tense moments I've ever had in a video game.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm mad about the unending stream of bullshit from Mr. Jefferson, but getting Nathan suspending and bringing the shady poo poo going on at the Vortex Club to the principal's attention seems the most narratively promising to me. it is also the sequence where the principal comes off as least lovely. Also, Nathan is the most responsible for Kate's misery, as far as we know. Jefferson's was a failure to act, Madsen's was him doing a poor job playing cop and not considering the consequences, but Nathan is actively malicious.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Blaming Nathan seems like a logical option. Either it gets him punished, or at least makes him sue this lovely school, which is a reward in itself.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, Jefferson might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, and it was certainly lovely behaviour coming from an adult and an educator, but the whole situation was caused by what happened at the Vortex Club party, and for that, we can only blame Nathan.

I have played the game, and that is the option that I picked, for the same reasons - I'm not going to let any knowledge of future consequences sway my votes here.

I've seen a playthrough where the Mr. Jefferson option was picked, but I had no idea Max getting suspended was even a possibility at this point. I wonder how that plays out?

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
Jefferson was obviously being a real piece of poo poo, but it seems dumb to blame him when the rich psychopathic gun-waving rapist is also in the room.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm blaming Jefferson because I blamed Nathan on my runthrough and I wanna see a different choice.

Also Jefferson has three syllables which allowed me to do that Blame Canada thing.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Mr Jefferson can suck dicks in hell

This puzzle wasn't well recieved by everyone. I think Panzer mentioned how weird it is to scour through Kate's room when she's right there and waiting. Apparently a lot of people did too and couldn't save Kate! I've mentioned that I like all the fluff this game and it was neat to have it come back like that at the end of the episode.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really? Privacy invasion and kleptomania are like Adventure Gaming 101.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I managed to save Kate in my play through but I had to put this game down for a bit afterwards. Having almost done it myself, this scene was way too intense for me. On the other hand, this episode's outro has the best song in the game, so that's a plus.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Really? Privacy invasion and kleptomania are like Gaming 101.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Mr Jeffersons punishment if you blame him is probably fair enough but as Nathan is available and is a pretty serious root cause of Kates distress I figure he has to take the rap on this one. Especially if Max actually manages to prove anything later on then Mark still goes forward with 'well I didn't believe someone and they nearly killed themselves immediately afterwards, should probably make an effort to change' on his mind.

The downside of getting Nathan suspended is that he might leave town for a bit and not get killed by the giant town/world destroying tornado that Max sees is only days away and is surprisingly cool about....

The plus side of Max getting suspended is that she might not be in town!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
On the other hand, getting Nathan suspended could very well lead to him loving Kate up as revenge, no? I could see the little weasel doing it.

Also, the rampant privacy invasion is clearly a metaphor for taking an interest in the lives of your friends.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Interesting. In the first part of this video Mr. Jefferson says that we should "always take the shot", and because we didn't there's no real proof against David. However, if we had actually taken the shot, it's possible Kate wouldn't be alive for the investigation anyway, since she never saw our exchange with Mr. Jefferson.

I think Nathan is the obvious choice for this poll - he's a scumbag anyway and it actually goes pretty well for us. I am interested to see what happens if we get suspended though; that's a pretty big deal from a gameplay perspective. bad end?

Also, I hope we can pause time now. So much more elegant than moving and rewinding. Now we can check texts whenever we want in class!

That reminds me, actually. The text from Chloe said that she wishes we shot whatshisface instead of giving the gun to him. Goddamn it Chloe can you please make up your mind about anything

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Spatula City posted:

I'm mad about the unending stream of bullshit from Mr. Jefferson, but getting Nathan suspending and bringing the shady poo poo going on at the Vortex Club to the principal's attention seems the most narratively promising to me. it is also the sequence where the principal comes off as least lovely. Also, Nathan is the most responsible for Kate's misery, as far as we know. Jefferson's was a failure to act, Madsen's was him doing a poor job playing cop and not considering the consequences, but Nathan is actively malicious.

The principal comes off as the least lovely as he takes credit for what was solely Max's doing. On the other hand all Jefferson and Nathan have to do to be more lovely is exist, so point made I guess. Still, blame Nathan.

The thing about Madsen being a paranoid lunatic is that it's only true insofar as we think that he doesn't know what's going on. If he does know what's going on, suddenly the surveillance cameras make a bit more sense. The whole photographing Kate thing, though...

thorf
Jun 26, 2013
Blame Nathan. He's a shitbag, and Mr. Jefferson is at least well-meaning.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

thorf posted:

and Mr. Jefferson is at least well-meaning.

How? He purposefully interpreted the events in the most convenient way, so they cause the least amount of work for him:
"No need to intervene there. She probably enjoyed that change of pace, actually. At least she looked like she was having a blast in the video. Sure, she claims to regret her behavoiur, but that's just what you get for living beyond your means. That's probably a good experince for her. Kids will be kids."

If a respected authority figure starts to blame a victim, that's a psychological shock which can really drive someone over the edge. Think about it. Besides maybe her father, and Max Jefferson was the only remaining person she confided in, only to be blown off.

His actions may not be malicious, but well-meaning isn't a word which describes them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I finally watched the beginning of the video and noticed we only caught the tail end of Jefferson's conversation. Does anyone havea video with a rewind of the whole thing?

I picked Jefferson my first time through (before rewinding and switching to Nathan because I hated the little bastard), but if I remember correctly (I might not be) it was largely based on bits we didn't hear here?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I finally watched the beginning of the video and noticed we only caught the tail end of Jefferson's conversation. Does anyone havea video with a rewind of the whole thing?

I picked Jefferson my first time through (before rewinding and switching to Nathan because I hated the little bastard), but if I remember correctly (I might not be) it was largely based on bits we didn't hear here?

Wow. I just looked it up and now I kinda want Panzer to show that of.
The diaglouge you aparently missed:
Kate: Why? Its all over, like for me.

Mark: Knock off this martyr crap

Kate: What do you want from me?

Mark: I want you too be honest..

Kate: Nobody believes me anyway

Mark: Stop acting so brittle

Kate: Being on a viral video does that

Mark: Maybe this is your way of getting attention

Kate: That's really mean Mr.Jefferson, you just dont get it..

Kate: Just leave me alone!

Mark: You have to talk to me Kate

Kate: Why? It's all over.. like me

I never even saw that whole conversation.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 19, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Logicblade posted:

I had to stop the video for a second because seriously

gently caress YOU MARK. Get impaled on a flagpole you piece of poo poo.

This but with even more emphasis now.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Air is lava! posted:

Kate: Why? Its all over, like for me.

Mark: Knock off this martyr crap

Kate: What do you want from me?

Mark: I want you too be honest..

Kate: Nobody believes me anyway

Mark: Stop acting so brittle

Kate: Being on a viral video does that

Mark: Maybe this is your way of getting attention

Kate: That's really mean Mr.Jefferson, you just dont get it..

Kate: Just leave me alone!

Mark: You have to talk to me Kate

Kate: Why? It's all over.. like me

I never even saw that whole conversation.

Hooooly poo poo okay I'll go grab a quick recording of that because wowie zowie. All I've managed to catch before was his sharp delivery of "Stop acting so brittle!" It's so heart breaking. He's basically her hero as a photography student and she goes to him in a time of need and that's what happens. :(

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Just got caught up on all this over the weekend. This is a pretty neat game.

Also I drew a sketch while watching some of it.

Sorry it's terrible I don't have a working scanner right now...

Anyway I think we should blame Nathan because I hate that guy and any sort of way of screwing him over feels so good, though it probably isn't the best idea to provoke a guy who waved a gun around.... Oh well~

I do think eveyone in that room is kinda a dick and should all share blame but we could say that of a lot of people we've met, seriously this game has very few likable characters. I'm warming up to a few though and even David is growing on me.

Edit:

Air is lava! posted:

Oh wow I thought he was kinda a dick before but drat.... Now I almost wanna change my vote.

evilspacehopper fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 19, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

David doesn't seem like really a bad guy. He's a guy who means the best, but he only knows how to do things a certain way due to his military experience which probably isn't the best way to deal with teens.

Really, that's his main problem is he doesn't know how to deal with kids.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
There's definitely something up with David, he seems almost well-meaning at times but others he's just in some foul mood for no reason at all.

I take it it's actually possible for Kate to reject you on the roof?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I take it it's actually possible for Kate to reject you on the roof?

Oh it's very possible.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Waffleman_ posted:

David doesn't seem like really a bad guy. He's a guy who means the best, but he only knows how to do things a certain way due to his military experience which probably isn't the best way to deal with teens.

Really, that's his main problem is he doesn't know how to deal with kids.

Yeah that's what I'm starting to see and why I'm warming up to him, it's kinda endearing and I kinda want Max to notice that too. Out of the three to blame I feel like he's less at fault.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
David is an incredibly compelling and really sort of sad character, and I sort of regret being a huge dick to him through most of my first playthrough of this game.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Air is lava! posted:

Goddamn. Nathan is still more culpable, but Jefferson's punishment seems pretty appropriate.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
man, looking at that blaming Jefferson makes more sense, but dammit this is our chance to nail Nathan with something for once.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Krysmphoenix posted:

man, looking at that blaming Jefferson makes more sense, but dammit this is our chance to nail Nathan with something for once.

Honestly this choice is super difficult because all three have very valid reasons to be picked. Jefferson and David are two adults who have taken roles as guardians of children who just utterly hosed it. David is supposed to be protecting her and from what we've seen he has essentially been stalking and harassing her! Jefferson's conversation with her is brutal, he didn't listen to her at all and completely blew off a student who came to him for help. This is literally what both of them have chosen to do as a career come on. Then we have Nathan, and while he isn't an adult he is not excused from the gravity of his actions! He's a loving date-rapist piece of poo poo!!! As an aside I really wish we could tear into principal wells for being a useless piece of garbage but alas.

Edit!!

evilspacehopper posted:

Just got caught up on all this over the weekend. This is a pretty neat game.

Also I drew a sketch while watching some of it.

Sorry it's terrible I don't have a working scanner right now...

Before I forget I just wanted to mention how much I love this!!! Ty ty for your super cute drawing!! :3: :3: Adding it to the op

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 19, 2016

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
What surprised me the most about Kate's attempt is that other people were surprised. I don't mean to say the "big surprise" was obvious and make it sound bad. Actually, I kind of liked knowing it was going to happen when the characters were oblivious, it added tension. However, with the first instance of "bullying" meeting with "viral" in a game that "explores tough subjects", my knowledge of meta-narratives made me think "Oh poo poo! Better be friends with her." This of course meant that every decision I made regarding her was dictated by trying to avoid a future outcome rather than whatever spurs of the moment.

Also, it's already been stated, but the rewind-time power not working is so great. Sure it adds tension by removing a crutch on which the game and the player rely, and I'm sure a lot can be written about that. Instead, what I respect is that it doesn't emerge out of nowhere. The chapter has taken steps to establish that the rules regarding the power with which we are familiar may not be definite. Max's first nosebleed, when first shown, displays that the power may not be a gift and that it has a toll. Here, the nosebleed indicates that Max understands less about her power than she thinks she does. Max faces resistance upon trying to control a power over which she has had control up until this point. Her inability to rewind time when talking with Kate surprises but does not disobey logic.

Also, again, Jefferson is so terrible in that scene. He may not be the proper person to blame, but Max should definitely kick him in the crotch. Still, I voted for Nathan because I blamed Jefferson in my playthrough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am an incredibly big fan of adorable 90s anime Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
it's amazing that now David Madsen seems sympathetic while Mr. Jefferson comes off as more of a heel. this game has good writing.

• Locked thread