Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
"So I've basically chilled all this time instead of doing any work. Combined with the fact that I'm not as good at coding games as I thought I would be, I've decided to just scrap what I'm doing and instead follow that helpful flappy bird tutorial someone linked earlier (Cheers!).

New Game Title: Chilly Birds.

If I have time I might add a difficulty adjuster questionnaire to the start of chilly birds to determine the starting difficulty. Maybe. Fingers crossed. That tutorial looks terribly complicated, I might not be able to finish it -and- do something else.

Still on track to finish! I just have to believe in myself and my art. :)"

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Progress! Woohoo!

It'll be pretty simple but I learned some really great stuff along the way. Been brushing up on my pixel art and finally learned Unity's animation system. The game itself will be about sitting on the couch and chilling. You need to maintain your chill bar or it's game over! You get chill by eating chips, drinking beer, and playing video game. But watch out! If you run out of money you can't afford those things! Working is definitely not chill but you can't chill without money and mom won't pay for your beer and games.

You can chill without beer and games but it just isn't as cool. Careful though if you work too much you won't be chill anymore and you might as well give up then.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Rob Filter posted:

So I've basically chilled all this time instead of doing any work. Combined with the fact that I'm not as good at coding games as I thought I would be, I've decided to just scrap what I'm doing and instead follow that helpful flappy bird tutorial someone linked earlier (Cheers!).

New Game Title: Chilly Birds.

If I have time I might add a difficulty adjuster questionnaire to the start of chilly birds to determine the starting difficulty. Maybe. Fingers crossed. That tutorial looks terribly complicated, I might not be able to finish it -and- do something else.

Still on track to finish! I just have to believe in myself and my art. :)

You're gonna have a bad time.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

JonTerp posted:

You're gonna have a bad time.

Poe's law?

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
I too have a title screen.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Didn't think of an idea for chill on time. Not enough time to make an Ice Road Trucker management sim or a The Revenant text adventure.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your lower Jupiter.

I realized that I have to paint then animate the player character as well, which is going to take probably more time than is acceptable. Also some sort of intro cut-scene.
I also haven't finished writing the story or the music or anything, really.

Gamejam!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

glub glub

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Netfish and Krill?

Jo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 19, 2016

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
I think I reached alpha. I have some more environment and player sprites to make. The game has two goals: 1. chill and play games 2. keep the penguins chilled.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Looks like it's going to be the Wall of Shame for me. I had a pretty nice start, but I let myself get slowed down way too much this past week. Getting sick for a couple of days didn't help with that.

On the bright side, this did give me the chance to get my toes wet in the field of 3D animation and learn a few things about trying to tie that into game feel. Most of my time ended up going into that and tweaking things until they didn't feel like garbage. (Surprise: Making responsive controls for something like a 3D brawler takes effort)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Buffis posted:

Public beta of Murder, Death, Chill
http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2982
(press the Play button on the page)

Dont play if you are a judge and dont want to be spoiled i guess

Arrow keys + Z to control

I request that the penguin shed a single tear, and then Vlambeer for a bit before it explodes. Maybe voice over/sound effects for the wave change? A power-up might be a good addition; I tended to squat in a couple areas, particularly after the first run of it because the waves are pretty simple. Besides that, it was a game that made me feel sick and entertained! -- game pandering goes here

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Hey, thanks!

Making the penguin more sad is definitely something that should be put in there.

And yeah, the waves arent too interesting. Trying to tweak it to make it a bit better. Glad you liked it.

Voice over is not really doable in pico8, but there should be a SFX there, unless i uploaded a too early version.

edit: Penguin tears are now in there!

Buffis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 19, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Just about done with the game. Everything past this point is polish. Want to make a nice intro scene which might take some time, but it would be nice to get a public build out soon.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh poo poo I STILL haven't added screen shake!

I got a whole bunch of little features added yesterday which felt really nice after spending three days trying to fix something else. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have matching working again so I can spend the last day building puzzles and writing dialog for the Starbaby :3:
I'm really looking forward to the main jam this year. This game could have done with a month tbh.

Oh yeah and while I'm sharing, have another gif!

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Alright, I've got a bounty to announce too, now that we're near the end!

:siren: NEW BOUNTY :siren:

I pledge to gift a copy of Contradiction: Spot the Liar (on Steam) to the team who creates the best game page on awfuljams.com. "Best" will be entirely subjective and arbitrary according to my random whims. I'll look over the game pages and award the prize well after the jam is over (maybe once the winners are announced?), so you shouldn't spend time working on your game page when you should be spending time polishing/finishing your game! (I might extend this and also give out a bounty for the best post-mortem.)

As I said, my 'judging' will be pretty arbitrary. I can tell you that for game pages, I like screenshots and explanations and sections, as well as overall prettiness. For post-mortems, I am usually more interested in the actual content. As some random examples of game pages I liked (there are many great examples, so sorry if I don't call your game's page out specifically!):
  • Impulse has a nice, clean page with sections describing the different features, and nice compact screenshots, controls, tips... once I have read through this page I feel like I am prepared to play the game.
  • Slam Fighter II has tips and screenshots and stuff - but I like this one for the "Select A Character" table(s) that Team Dogpit put together. It's a simple thing, but I actually went and checked to see if they had snuck in some simple HTML and CSS into the markdown to get a "flag"/"media" element in there.
  • As for post-mortems, the one for OCTOPEG is just stellar.

(If the winner already owns 2015's FMV game of the year, I will gift some similar game that I liked from 2015)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Glad you liked the Slam Fighter II page! I haven't planned out the page for #Everest, Team Dogpit's game for LAJ '16, but I have some ideas.

In the meantime, enjoy some concept art from our game:

EDIT:

Oh yes and in the interest of being sporting, letting you all know that yesterday I decided to reuse these portraits I made for Slam Fighter II for #Everest out of a mixture of :supaburn: and :effort:

So yanno, if ya'll wanna put 'em in your own little awful jam entry too or whatever. (I made totally original portraits yesterday too, just using these dudes to round out my pixel-portrait needs.)

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 19, 2016

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
Enemies now spawn in properly and shoot back, which seems like a fairly essential thing to implement this close to the deadline.

http://webm.land/media/pPM9.webm

That mainly leaves UI stuff and sound, which i might just about manage. I really wanted to have a boss fight too, but i don't really see that happening before the deadline hits.

I kinda regret not teaming up with a sound designer, but this is my first gamejam going solo and i didn't actually expect to get this close to actually finishing something. Oh well :)

Steampunk_Spoon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 19, 2016

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Looks really great for a first game jam attempt :D

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009

BossRighteous posted:

Looks really great for a first game jam attempt :D

Oh no, I've actually participated in the last two awfuljams as part of a bigger team, this is just the first time trying all by myself. I also have like half a dozen half-finished game concepts lying around, which is why i kinda expected to crash and burn about halfway in.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

Enemies now spawn in properly and shoot back, which seems like a fairly essential thing to implement this close to the deadline.

http://webm.land/media/gQRv.webm

That mainly leaves UI stuff and sound, which i might just about manage. I really wanted to have a boss fight too, but i don't really see that happening before the deadline hits.

I kinda regret not teaming up with a sound designer, but this is my first gamejam going solo and i didn't actually expect to get this close to actually finishing something. Oh well :)

Seems a bit odd perhaps that the player is a nice warm orange making the blue guys chill out but it's looking pretty cool so far. Nice work.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

http://i.imgur.com/OdC3fZh.webm

Public beta for our game Chill Out.
Welcome to new heights in relaxation simulation.

Very interested in hearing any opinions, haven't had anyone test yet.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh man, it's embarrassing how much that game is up my alley. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but that didn't stop me from trying everything a million different ways. It hit the sweet spot for me of being a legit chill game, having an underlying goal to it, and being pretty funny as well. I did run into some bugs I thought I'd mention, though!

• Got the card stuck somehow (grabbed but couldn't do anything) after I had thrown it around a bit?
  • Key shadow doesn't work on lower graphics. I liked this idea a lot (though I solved it jumping around like an idiot), so hopefully it's fixable
  • Clipped through the world by trying to walk through poster (that wall is pretty glitchy, especially between couch)
  • Hold esc to exit instead? I messed up the password, hit it to clear it, and... whoops!
  • Had a problem where the elevator didn't seem to close or open correctly, actually had to glitch through it the first time.

If there's time, I'd like to request a paper plane simulator, an origami tool, or a zen garden complete with stacking rocks.

finally... free ....

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Doom Goon posted:

Oh man, it's embarrassing how much that game is up my alley. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but that didn't stop me from trying everything a million different ways. It hit the sweet spot for me of being a legit chill game, having an underlying goal to it, and being pretty funny as well. I did run into some bugs I thought I'd mention, though!

Thank you so much for the input, it's very appreciated. Also thank you for appropriate use of spoilers. Glad you enjoyed the experience!

I'm assuming the poster you ran through was the one with the safe behind it? Any chance you throwing around the keycard clipped the safe? If the card is used to open the safe, it becomes no longer usable. Here's our to-do over the next two days to see what we can clean up, I've noted the things you ran into:

-Disable down button on elevator in New Game +
-Can click the call door button through the vault. Can click it multiple times, leading to locking yourself out of the elevator.
-Enable key shadow on lower graphics
-Increase box on silver key, potentially bring up floor collision box, add another layer of colliders around room especially around wall with safe
-Make it clearer when key attempt failed
-Esc should pull up an options screen with FOV, mouse sensitivity, credits, and quit button, rather than quitting directly
-Grow/Shrink pencil size with Q/E, remove texture
-Seem to be able to use keycard through poster, something potentially to be fixed. Touch up hinge weight on poster, one user couldn't peel off wall easily enough.
-Cabinet doors should not push character around, look into decreasing weight of doors
-One user noted TV seems to come 'only out the right', check 3D balancing

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Things have come together well.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm really really not chill right now

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Due to other poo poo going on I no longer have time to work on my game so I figured that I'd submit it now, but the .zip file is refusing to upload, it's sitting at 20% forever.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Lemon posted:

Due to other poo poo going on I no longer have time to work on my game so I figured that I'd submit it now, but the .zip file is refusing to upload, it's sitting at 20% forever.
Can you shoot me over a PM? If you still have the window open, let me know if there are any errors in the dev tools console, that sort of thing.

edit: PM or slack or IRC or... whatever.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Holy poo poo Unity is really bad at handling infinite loops, I put the wrong variable in a nested loop and I have spent the last 2 hours debugging it because Unity didn't seem to notice that allocating more than half my RAM was a bad idea that crashes my computer.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6gexAeD_w

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

New build, I believe I fixed every issue you mentioned and an options screen.

Update features a new and improved drawing functionality

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 21, 2016

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Do we have friday to work or does your game need to be submitted by then?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Manslaughter posted:

Do we have friday to work or does your game need to be submitted by then?

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

CRUNCH TIME SHITBAGS!

I am not releasing any more screenshots to increase the hype (??).

But here's a little teaser: our team has swelled to three people and we have a grandma on skates.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Just one?

Atoramos posted:

Thank you so much for the input, it's very appreciated. Also thank you for appropriate use of spoilers. Glad you enjoyed the experience!

I'm assuming the poster you ran through was the one with the safe behind it? Any chance you throwing around the keycard clipped the safe? If the card is used to open the safe, it becomes no longer usable.

Nope, I was just throwing it around near the table for kicks on my first go, wasn't the same run that I beat it in. I tried messing around to do it in the new build but couldn't get it to happen again, so it doesn't seem like a big thing.

I did notice that the phone number and, in particular, the computer screen seem even harder to make out on the (new) lowest setting. Also, I had trouble with a very low-end laggy computer and the elevator door again (it closes partly, and then only opens partially. I even got it to crash once the first time after the confetti. Could it be tied to framerate?). It's nothing I'd kill myself working over, of course.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I couldn't clip through anything any more it seemed like, at least not without serious trouble. I could get partially out near the couch with effort, but no falling so I could go back in. I wouldn't even bother trying to fix it.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 21, 2016

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm debating just submitting my game as is to avoid risking missing the deadline. It's complete, but the level needs a ton of work to add challenge.

EDIT: I'm getting a 413 error from the server when trying to upload my zip. :(

EDIT: Newest public build until I can figure out that the fuckup is. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxkijDBoaFrmcUZEbld6MDJSZ2c/view?usp=sharing

Jo fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 21, 2016

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I think I'm done.
Got a new awesome title track from Pizza as well.

Will probably submit soon unless I find some dumb bug.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Pretty much done with mine, I just need to add sounds today. Gameplay is finished so I could just hand it in as is. It's a really simple game in the end but I did spend like four days out of commission due to a combination of illness and migraines. Spent a ton of time job hunting too. But hey I learned how to use Unity's animation system so I'll count it as a win.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
My jealously of everyone with done games is high. I'm only about 80% complete on my chilly birds game; I'm worried that I'm going to have to start thinking about feature cutting.

Oh well. I can just not sleep until the game jam ends now. Gonna get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
I'm trying to register on the awfuljams website but i'm not getting the verification email and it won't let me login, did i gently caress up by not registering at the start of the jam?

• Locked thread