Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

The opening actually does a reasonable job of setting that up too at least. Aside from the completely lame fakeout of 'whoops turns out it was a blank."

Fortunately it really does sound like it's kind of the same in both directions so we're getting the 'other side' of the story rather than missing out entirely.

Amusingly, no, the opening isn't doing anything like that. The destruction of Garelia fortress was prefaced by the Railway Cannons being used, and the specific date was known. So the opening was done with the assumption that you know they weren't fired, because they had to be successfully fired later.

This is the kind of thing the game was doing. It's actually kind of neat. It's the "look at this plot from several points of view", except from two completely separate, opposing countries rather than people.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

For reference, this is a translated version of a series timeline from Dengeki magazine.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Just in case some didn't know there's an entire play-through, with English translation, of the prologue from Trails in the Sky: Third Chapter on Youtube

Makes me really really want to play it.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

theblackw0lf posted:

Just in case some didn't know there's an entire play-through, with English translation, of the prologue from Trails in the Sky: Third Chapter on Youtube

Makes me really really want to play it.

Kevin is a good character, but I would probably much prefer to see the Crossbell arc, only so I can go into the Erebonia arc without feeling like I'm missing out on references.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The boss fights at the end of TitS SC chapter 3 were pretty brutal, yeesh. Just barely got past it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I hope that I get to play the crossbell games before I die

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So this person has translated a decent amount of Zero no Kiseki so far. (Maybe about 8-9 hours worth)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhmVcOxWK0

Looks like there are about 18 videos so far, of which the posted video is the first. He's also working on a fan translation patch now with some other people, which they're hoping to get out by the end of 2016. You can watch the videos to determine the quality of the translation. (Though since he's now part of a group the translation could be better than what we see in the videos.)

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Any chance we can get these in the opening post? Seems like a good idea.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sure

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I'm trying to find the playlist so we can just link to all 18 videos in the OP.

Also he says that his group is about halfway through the script so far.

edit: here's the playlist. Can you put that in the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL675D24FCAC776FF0

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 19, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are any of the master quartz permanently missable? im nearing the end of the game and feel like im missing a few, based on lists ive seen online and stuff

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

are any of the master quartz permanently missable? im nearing the end of the game and feel like im missing a few, based on lists ive seen online and stuff

Yes, quite a few. Some are prizes for side stuff (like fishing/cooking/ect) and if you don't get everything you need for those you're not getting 'em. There is also at least one set which is mutually exclusive and can't be gotten on a single playthrough. (Getting all four school medals unlocks a choice between the Zeus and Chevalier Master quartzes.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol, i still only have the omelette

i dont even know where you're supposed to get new recipes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

lol, i still only have the cookie recipe

i dont even know where you're supposed to get new recipes

Most of 'em you get by talking to random people in the environment. There's one or two that are quest rewards I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hosed up

oh well ill be doing a new game + once we have a release date for CSII anyway

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

For reference, this is a translated version of a series timeline from Dengeki magazine.

Wait its only been four years? Jesus, I can't wait until the Republic of Japanifornia's game plots to somehow go through all of Trails in the Sky, Cold Steel and Trouble in Little Police State all at once!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 19, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Trails in the Sky FC starts in 1202 and Cold Steel 1 starts in 1204.

As in, those dates are mentioned in the games themselves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is one hell of a crazy four years for Zemuria you gotta admit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Ouroboros' plot in Liberl made life on the continent really really interesting.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Wait its only been four years? Jesus, I can't wait until the Republic of Japanifornia's game plots to somehow go through all of Trails in the Sky, Cold Steel and Trouble in Little Police State all at once!

This is literally the 1001 Nights of video games. It probably isn't going to end at Calvard.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Slur posted:

This is literally the 1001 Nights of video games. It probably isn't going to end at Calvard.

Oh so eventually we'll learn that there is a world off of Zemuria and we sail the anime high seas as Sinbad?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Oh so eventually we'll learn that there is a world off of Zemuria and we sail the anime high seas as Sinbad?

I wouldn't put this above Falcom. Perhaps they'll be like "oh hey, this was the Zemuria arc of games, now off to The New Lands!"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

hosed up

oh well ill be doing a new game + once we have a release date for CSII anyway

anyone that doesn't talk to every possible NPC at every possible story junction in a Trails game is playing it wrong.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So having finished Cold Steel, and the previous Trails from the Sky games, and assuming that Zero and Ao are just as good (and from what I hear they're even better) I think it's likely this is the best JRPG series ever made.

Only one I think can compete is Persona. Suikoden have some amazing games, but 4 was a disappointment.

I'm hard pressed to think of another JRPG series that is this consistently excellent.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Dragon Quest is reasonably consistent.

I mean, it's also reasonably consistent that we don't get to have them, but the quality too. The closest you really get to "bad" was the first two games, and they were still pretty amazing in their time.

And Souls games. But they have relatively few installments.

*thinks*

That's pretty much it.

Not even Ys was this consistent, due to the abomination that is V.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ys will technically be consistent if/when they remake V.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Motto posted:

Ys will technically be consistent if/when they remake V.

I find it amusing that the reasoning behind Felghana was "not wanting a black sheep in the franchise", and yet they neglected to remake V for so long.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Slur posted:

I find it amusing that the reasoning behind Felghana was "not wanting a black sheep in the franchise", and yet they neglected to remake V for so long.

Well, V's just an awkward intermediate step between the bump system and Ark-style games, as opposed to Wanderers being the only side-view game and the IVs being farmed out to two other developers. Hopefully we'll still get a remake, presumably in Dana's style.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 19, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cold Steel Chapter 4: When the group talked about the trade conference, five symbols came up: Crossbell, Liberl, Erebonia, Calvard and a fifth one with a deer/elk thing. Does anyone know what that symbol represents? Is there a fifth sovereignty we haven't been introduced to yet?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

Cold Steel Chapter 4: When the group talked about the trade conference, five symbols came up: Crossbell, Liberl, Erebonia, Calvard and a fifth one with a deer/elk thing. Does anyone know what that symbol represents? Is there a fifth sovereignty we haven't been introduced to yet?

It's the principality of Remiferia, a very small Monarchy situated to the north of Crossbell.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

New Translation Tuesday for Sky 3rd is out! This one focuses on the fate of Ouroboros after SC.

http://www.esterior.net/2016/01/translation-tuesday-trails-in-the-sky-the-3rd-star-door-14/

Also I had read about Renne's backstory being retconned after 3rd(and if we ever get 3rd I imagine this will remain cut) but someone posted the original backstory here with English subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2siwUmlR8

It's the most :smithicide: thing I've seen in a game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It wasn't retconned (at least I don't think it was), just censored.

I mean, what Renne thought was happening wasn't what actually happened, but that's not really a retcon, that's her being a little girl making poo poo up to stay sane.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Just beat Trails of Cold Steel and golly, they sure know how to do their cliffhangers! I also wasn't expecting anime Harry Potter to become a Gundam game but it did and it worked for me, big time. I had some predictions about C throughout the game and ended up being wrong about him, but being right about Vita/Misty being evil. I just thought she was C, not the Anguis.

There are lots of things I liked about the game and I'm still processing but overall I think it had a better cast than TitS (Estelle excluded). They all had enough depth to get me past the bad first impressions and I really kind of felt for Rean at the end when he was forced to leave his friends and escape against his will. His voice actor did a really good job overall I think.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Yeah, on the whole, I think this dub was pretty great, with only a couple misses. Game was fantastic, as well - although sometimes the framerate really took a poo poo (see: the Festival on Vita.)

It sucks that XSEED wanted to record full voice acting but Falcom didn't want to do more programming to accommodate full voice acting into Cold Steel.

It's nice to know that most people like Cold Steel 2 way more than the first title - gives me a lot to look forward to. It has an even better soundtrack, too, even though CS' is still amazing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I'm just starting Chapter 5 and the inconsistency of which lines are voiced or not has been bugging me.

I'm glad to know that XSeed wanted to voice the entire game, but very sad to know that Falcom essentially vetoed it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hell I would have been ecstatic if they had let XSeed add voices to those weird school bits where Rean is the only one who has no voice.

Agreed though that like 95% of the dubwork is best in class.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 20, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah I was really impressed by the dub. It has a lot of emotion and funny little bits which really helped sell the characters. There were only a few I disliked and it was as much the character archetype as anything.

That said my favorite bit of voice acting was Emma having her insane festival freakout.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

holy smokes it took until lvl 64 but Zane finally got 1 good craft

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cold steel's dub is pretty much an example of why having a director who actually gives a poo poo matters so much, you can tell that the VAs actually grasp the context of what they're saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

cold steel's dub is pretty much an example of why having a director who actually gives a poo poo matters so much, you can tell that the VAs actually grasp the context of what they're saying

Yah