Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'll humor you for a bit, but a dx9-era postprocessing tool by a russian who jerks off to putin could mostly fix this, though. if something outside the engine could do it i'm not sure it would be harder working within the engine to do it

That guy's violently homophobic so i doubt he's jerking off to putin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

flatluigi posted:

That guy's violently homophobic so i doubt he's jerking off to putin
closets

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I was not saying that there is not anything Bethesda could do to the engine to fix some things, what I meant was that we don't ~know~ the reasons why they do or do not implement the things we view as important. A piece of software this large has a lot more going on that anyone who hasn't worked on a game engine before can even fathom. by your dx9 jab I assume you are talking about enboost. which just allows access to more memory, which the end users configures, you can easily gently caress yourself by giving it too much, in an application they need to set standard targets for the majority of users, which is 4bg. Everything they do is going to revolve around their minimum specs. Just because you can mod it to use more doesn't mean its a good business decision to make it so the base line software expects more.

lovely story, half assed quests, broken core mechanics, hosed up gameworld etc, blast away, that is lazy development work. But an engine not performing to your expectations, that's not really reasonable, after all I am pretty sure they care more about selling a game to millions of people, not just you.

edit: dont get me stated on how they limit the performance because they want to release for consoles as well.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 18, 2016

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
It's not about whether it's possible or not, it's about whether Bethesda wants to devote the time to it or not. Maybe it didn't seem as bad during testing so they thought it'd be ok. Maybe it didn't crop up during testing at all. Maybe they just figured they could spend their time better elsewhere.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

It's not about whether it's possible or not, it's about whether Bethesda wants to devote the time to it or not. Maybe it didn't seem as bad during testing so they thought it'd be ok. Maybe it didn't crop up during testing at all. Maybe they just figured they could spend their time better elsewhere.

I'm going with 'Eh, we'll fix it in patches'

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

LumberingTroll posted:

I was not saying that there is not anything Bethesda could do to the engine to fix some things, what I meant was that we don't ~know~ the reasons why they do or do not implement the things we view as important. A piece of software this large has a lot more going on that anyone who hasn't worked on a game engine before can even fathom. by your dx9 jab I assume you are talking about enboost. which just allows access to more memory, which the end users configures, you can easily gently caress yourself by giving it too much, in an application they need to set standard targets for the majority of users, which is 4bg. Everything they do is going to revolve around their minimum specs. Just because you can mod it to use more doesn't mean its a good business decision to make it so the base line software expects more.

lovely story, half assed quests, broken core mechanics, hosed up gameworld etc, blast away, that is lazy development work. But an engine not performing to your expectations, that's not really reasonable, after all I am pretty sure they care more about selling a game to millions of people, not just you.

edit: dont get me stated on how they limit the performance because they want to release for consoles as well.
A lot of people have the absolute minimum specs and are hit by the frozen-load problem far harder than someone who shelled out for a four-channel board. A lot of these load bugs just don't pop up in the console versions, either but it's not like they have to transfer memory between separate banks of RAM. It's kind of weird that their main modding/development platform is the least stable/most inconsistent in performance.

MaliciousOnion posted:

There's a lot they seem to internally tolerate, which is fine, honestly.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

LumberingTroll posted:

by your dx9 jab I assume you are talking about enboost. which just allows access to more memory, which the end users configures, you can easily gently caress yourself by giving it too much, in an application they need to set standard targets for the majority of users, which is 4bg.
ENB fixes a lot of things, and adds a lot of graphics enhancements Bethesda couldn't figure out with a billion dollars worth of development. 'ENBoost' is just one fix that comes with ENB and maybe if you had any idea what you are talking about or ever took the time to develop a 3rd party fix for a popular game you might look like you know what you are talking about instead of farting angry words out of your spergy mouth while doing the same poo poo you are complaining about did you ever think of that?

edit: taking the time to mention that this derail was caused by a large, persistant bug where weapons take a long time to pull out for no good reason and bethesda can't figure out how to fix it but maybe the enb guy will

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 18, 2016

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Sintax posted:

ENB fixes a lot of things, and adds a lot of graphics enhancements Bethesda couldn't figure out with a billion dollars worth of development. 'ENBoost' is just one fix that comes with ENB and maybe if you had any idea what you are talking about or ever took the time to develop a 3rd party fix for a popular game you might look like you know what you are talking about instead of farting angry words out of your spergy mouth while doing the same poo poo you are complaining about did you ever think of that?

Yes I am sure that Bethesda couldn't figure out these filters and visual effects. I am not angry at all and I am not needlessly bashing a company for the work they have done, also why would I waste my time working on 3rd party fixes or mods when I have my own games to work on?

edit: you are correct about one thing though, this derail and its tired topic should probably stop, this thread is supposed to be about mods for Fallout 4, not opinions of its engine, or discussion about what bugs make you angry enough to complain on a forum about.
Here we go this one looks very important, who wants to stack their small floor pieces in the workshop?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8585/

vvv Its more likely that they are not working on PC specific bugs right now, and since it has workarounds, its probably really low priority vvv

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 18, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sintax posted:

edit: taking the time to mention that this derail was caused by a large, persistant bug where weapons take a long time to pull out for no good reason and bethesda can't figure out how to fix it but maybe the enb guy will
I'm sure there's a very good design reason why this only happens on the PC please do not criticize The Product.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

This just reminds me that Obsidian somehow discovered a way to make you play jump rope with your loving arms while wielding a weapon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

evidently, all ram needs to be shared ram

If that is what the bug is I would predict that it wouldn't occur on the PS4 or XBone?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's kind of weird that their main modding/development platform is the least stable/most inconsistent in performance.

I'm sure if they had a team of developers optimizing performance for your specific PC it'd run pretty well too!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

People need to stop blind linking and at least post a description of these stupid things in spoilers. This is yet another hilarious item that's gone. What was it?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

People need to stop blind linking and at least post a description of these stupid things in spoilers. This is yet another hilarious item that's gone. What was it?

Here's a Google cache of what it was: "Joke Mod that replaces Dogmeat's model with that of Giddyup Buttercup's."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Here's a Google cache of what it was: [url=http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Cs4pyQaN16IJ:https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8545/%3F+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us]"Joke Mod that replaces Dogmeat's model with that of Giddyup Buttercup's."[/url]

And now I know how to answer this question for myself in the future. Thank you kind sir.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
The only tag I would put is :nws: or :nms:, calm down, its obviously a dumb gag mod and not "this mods in "yes man" and the ability to kick"

Why that mod is down I have no idea...

Also to throw my shoe squarely at the head of this modding "Debate", Unless its just a retexture that is a reasonable size, like 512 or 1024, everything we do has the chance of borking this game to a degree, we know this and should accept weird stuff happening, however, beth games are always buggy messes on release, and usually even after some patches. so its doubly frustrating when stuff goes pear shaped, and you cannot tell if its "piper/hilary clinton faceswap mod No. 43", duff drivers, your pc, or just the game being plain wrong.

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 18, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

If that is what the bug is I would predict that it wouldn't occur on the PS4 or XBone?
that is the likely reason why it doesn't happen on the console versions as they both have one ram bank.

world loading is still slower but the difference in that goes away if you switch out the drive for an ssd on the ps4

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Unfortunately, I can't disable Settlement Keywords, as the creator of Alternate Settlements decided it would be a great idea to switch over to it and not continue providing a non-SK option. It wasn't just an issue of the menu being moved, though, I can tell you that. I had seen it under Resources before, and when I checked it was simply not there. The same went for OCDecorator's SK version: the menu was simply absent.

Also I know Homemaker has trees, but only the post-war ones without leaves. SSex is for some reason the only one I've found that lets you place the pre-war trees with leaves, which I've used to dress up Sanctuary.

Soooo, I did as you asked, and removed the extra stuff in ssex, and it appears to not make a difference, as homemaker has "living tree's", under decorations. I suggest you grab homemaker.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

But an engine not performing to your expectations, that's not really reasonable, after all I am pretty sure they care more about selling a game to millions of people, not just you.

"You expect to be able to be able to switch weapons when you hit the "switch weapons" button in a shooter game? Come on, be reasonable."

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Gobblecoque posted:

"You expect to be able to be able to switch weapons when you hit the "switch weapons" button in a shooter game? Come on, be reasonable."

Thanks for not reading the whole post, this is obviously a core mechanics bug, and not an issue with the game engine itself.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Does the beta patch break any mods?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Not that I know of, but it might cause the loading times to become even worse. I had to roll back because waiting several minutes to fast travel is not fun.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

staberind posted:

Soooo, I did as you asked, and removed the extra stuff in ssex, and it appears to not make a difference, as homemaker has "living tree's", under decorations. I suggest you grab homemaker.

Whaaaaat? Since when? I guess I might as well just dump SSEx then. And also stop posting here because every time I post, my problem turns out to just be something really dumb.

EDIT: Where are you seeing this? I'm under Decorations and the only thing I see that's applicable is Landscaping, which only has Commonwealth Trees, which is just dead trees. I just checked, so I know for a fact that this isn't just me talking out my rear end like the last several times.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 19, 2016

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
I have been mainly using texture mods as I don't quiet trust mod that are being made yet. I do have a few mods that have ESP's and all that, but the list is only at like 15~ or so with like 8 of them being different options of the same mod (some combat changing mod that I can't seem to find now at work). Either way, there's also a few mods that required you to go into god mod (building mods) or run bat files to get them to work.

I'm sure once Geck is out a lot of these items will be fixed and for the little I have added, I have not noticed and negative effects (fps drop, crashing or pauses in the game). So i'm wondering as to what everyone else experiences were with more of these mods added at this time?

Also, is there any reason to install Fallout 4 Script Extender (F4SE) at this time?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8276/

Extended weapon mods to make some really loving bizarre weapon combinations with already-existing meshes. AG Supplementary Uniques was one of my favorite weapon mods from New Vegas so seeing this stuff done is pretty :krad:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That's really hot, nice pistol carbine :madmax:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Unfortunately the animations for it are a little wonky; in first-person, you hold it like a pistol, but the reload animation looks fine. In third person, you hold it like a rifle, but the reload animation is wrong. Otherwise, it's pretty awesome.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Why are all these joke mods down anyway? Are nexus pulling them? I thought it seems more likely that the modders are but then again it's nexus.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8276/

Extended weapon mods to make some really loving bizarre weapon combinations with already-existing meshes. AG Supplementary Uniques was one of my favorite weapon mods from New Vegas so seeing this stuff done is pretty :krad:

Ah, it begins :black101:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Whaaaaat? Since when? I guess I might as well just dump SSEx then. And also stop posting here because every time I post, my problem turns out to just be something really dumb.

EDIT: Where are you seeing this? I'm under Decorations and the only thing I see that's applicable is Landscaping, which only has Commonwealth Trees, which is just dead trees. I just checked, so I know for a fact that this isn't just me talking out my rear end like the last several times.

Ah. if you have fo4edit, you can see for yourself. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2737/ rename to fo4edit, and Homemaker:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1478/
I dont think you are mistaken,
I suspect you have run into the settlement menu bug.
Put simply, if you have too many craftable items, the game does not show some.

Open up fo4edit, it will give you a list of plugins, uncheck everything, then check homemaker, then load.

after chugging away, on the left you will see fo4.exe, then fo4.esm, and finally, you should see homemaker.
hit the plus and have a look at all the long lists, pre-war tree's are listed, alongside institute tree's

staberind fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 19, 2016

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
We can make Psychojet, Psychobuff, Buffjet. I want to make Psychobuffjet. Psychbuffjetfuel!

I only want to have to awkwardly press one number key to get high as gently caress. :cocaine:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

gromdul posted:

We can make Psychojet, Psychobuff, Buffjet. I want to make Psychobuffjet. Psychbuffjetfuel!

I only want to have to awkwardly press one number key to get high as gently caress. :cocaine:

I suspect its not impossible to do with FO4edit.

I am trying to carve homemaker down to a reasonable size. its a headache.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

gromdul posted:

Will melt your face, and your steel beams.

It'll take you the highest you've ever been. Briefly.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Has someone fixed the hood so that wearing it doesn't make you bald?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are there any alternate start mods yet, or will that have to wait for the GECK?
It's always annoying to have to go through the whole long intro part once you've restarted a Bethesda game a few times.

I guess there's always the option of just keeping a save game from right before you exit Vault 111.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Has someone fixed the hood so that wearing it doesn't make you bald?

Yeah there are some hair-friendly helmets in Armorsmith Extended.

Gambit77 posted:

Five, adds new craftable outfits, headgear, gloves, custom Dogmeat armors, Helmets/Hats With Hair, Under Helmet Flight Cap & BOS/Sack Hoods, Nudifying Rings, Invisible Therm Optics Combat Armor, Pistol Harness, Katana Belt, Sniper Rifle on back, & a working jetpack to be crafted from the new custom Armorsmith Workbench in the crafting menu in the settlement building screen.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

LumberingTroll posted:

Thanks for not reading the whole post, this is obviously a core mechanics bug, and not an issue with the game engine itself.
except they're kind of related to the whole "stuff everything in system RAM instead of VRAM" thing but sure pedal back buddy

MaliciousOnion posted:

Why are all these joke mods down anyway? Are nexus pulling them? I thought it seems more likely that the modders are but then again it's nexus.
users not having a sense of humor, joke mods tend to stick around longer if the game's been out and all of the riffraff has dispersed into other games

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Getting some reports of the latest Beta patch breaking Full Dialogue Interface and causing "Lookup Failed" errors for text, but I've been unable to replicate the issue myself after opting into the Beta and installing FDI again. Any of you guys experiencing problems with FDI and the latest Beta patch?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

except they're kind of related to the whole "stuff everything in system RAM instead of VRAM" thing but sure pedal back buddy

Except you are totally wrong. A bug dealing with switching weapons would have almost nothing to do with putting things in ram over whats in vram, it is very clear you have almost no clue what you are talking about, and I haven't back pedaled at all, I stand by why at I have said. This is also a pointless derail that you seem to want to continue, so good luck with that.

Has anyone seem any mention of the GECK from bethesda yet? It's nice to see they are working on a patch but I would have expected some mention of the GECK by now. Also for anyone on the beta build, eng, and F4SE have both been updated for it. I did notice a nice increase in performance with the beta so thats a good sign. Also sorry Cirosan, I havent been using FDI so I cant report on it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

A bug dealing with switching weapons would have almost nothing to do with putting things in ram over whats in vram

The bug is a delay believed to happen because the game is still loading the graphics for the weapon you want to switch to, which wouldn't be a problem if it was stored in VRAM. Maybe that doesn't quite fit the definition of "bug" but it's still a case where the game is loading something I'm not sure it should need to load every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Digirat posted:

The bug is a delay believed to happen because the game is still loading the graphics for the weapon you want to switch to, which wouldn't be a problem if it was stored in VRAM. Maybe that doesn't quite fit the definition of "bug" but it's still a case where the game is loading something I'm not sure it should need to load every time.

If this were the case then you would have the same problem using the favorites menu, which it doesn't. It's a PC only but that happens when using the number keys to change weapons bound to quick slots.

The pip boy glitch where it doesn't show has to do with opening steam overlay, if you open it with shift+tab, and close it again with shift+tab the pip boy shows up just fine.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 21, 2016

• Locked thread