Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Its me, I'm that guy.

Alright, Who offered to buy it with me? We need to be Surcouf buddies tonight.

I'm off to go troll destroyers, will post trip report.

Welp. Luckily I have some gift cards leftover from Christmas, so I'm not actually spending 50 dollars on a sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Just tied a flagship game we were handily winning because the flagship got greedy and sailed into the center islands of the map and got sandwiched by the last 2 remaining subs.

Exterminate all pubbies.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Took my atlanta out for some event farming. Ended up executing 4 friendly DDs for Gross Negligence With Torpedos over the course of 3 games. I should probably take a break before I get too frustrated and/or banned.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Are 5v5 battles only on Sundays?

Going to see if I can get in on some Fleet action on Tuesday. I usually am just getting home from work when it starts, so I'll try and get online as soon as I can.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Trip report:

:getin:

EDIT: Lockmart, unless you're just going to play the Surcouf, I'd say get the Akagi and kit it out. We will be stuck in tier 8 for awhile, there are like 10-15 people with IXs on the entire server.

On that note, please try to level up your tier 7 and eventually 8 DDs goons. High level DD play is BY FAR the most important part of this game.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 18, 2016

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Are 5v5 battles only on Sundays?

Going to see if I can get in on some Fleet action on Tuesday. I usually am just getting home from work when it starts, so I'll try and get online as soon as I can.

Friday and Sunday are the days for 5v5 battles.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Mazz posted:

Trip report:

:getin:

EDIT: Lockmart, unless you're just going to play the Surcouf, I'd say get the Akagi and kit it out. We will be stuck in tier 8 for awhile, there are like 10-15 people with IXs on the entire server.

On that note, please try to level up your tier 7 and eventually 8 DDs goons. High level DD play is BY FAR the most important part of this game.

I agree being good with DDs is critical, though I'll admit I'm having a hard time scouting effectively without dying. It's hard to tell if I've been spotted until 3 BBs are all hitting me simultaneously, and I currently don't have any crew that boost vision either :( it'll also be a while before I get my DD up to tier VII but I'll work on it (currently on Bagley)

I've had games where I apparently did a bunch of spotter assisted damage but at the time I wasn't so much consciously scouting as I was running for my life or drat lucky they had tunnel vision and didn't blow me out of the water. I've gone up against BBs that are so loving accurate with leading targets it feels like no matter how much swerving, smoke spamming and dodging I attempt I still get 9 14" shells dunked straight down my smokestack. :mad:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

One thing that may have been obvious to some of you:

If you're shooting at a DD, use HE!

I never used to bother, because I figured it was too much hassle for too little gain. I was wrong. I started using it in 5v5s last night, and it made a very noticeable difference in how quickly I was killing DDs in a New Orleans.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HE on destroyers doesn't just do way more damage, it also wrecks their engines and causes flooding, which slows the little bastards down.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

I agree being good with DDs is critical, though I'll admit I'm having a hard time scouting effectively without dying. It's hard to tell if I've been spotted until 3 BBs are all hitting me simultaneously, and I currently don't have any crew that boost vision either :( it'll also be a while before I get my DD up to tier VII but I'll work on it (currently on Bagley)

I've had games where I apparently did a bunch of spotter assisted damage but at the time I wasn't so much consciously scouting as I was running for my life or drat lucky they had tunnel vision and didn't blow me out of the water. I've gone up against BBs that are so loving accurate with leading targets it feels like no matter how much swerving, smoke spamming and dodging I attempt I still get 9 14" shells dunked straight down my smokestack. :mad:

Getting good at DD is challenging because it's the class that takes the most risk to do what it needs to do. Some tips I can give though.

Getting the right crew is probably more important than anything else, so don't worry about being a super DD until you have Luckner, Mass and Arashi on the boat. Where you're at right now just understanding the basics is perfectly fine. Once you crack tier V though rangefinder equipment stops becoming optional.

When spotting, your spots are only as useful so long as there are things behind you who can shoot. Keep an eye on where your BBs go and try to help them even if they don't want to be helped. Checking the scoreboard to see if you have any decent Players in your BBs at start can also tell you who to spot for.

If you wander into a fight where your overmatched, then dump smoke and back off a bit. Getting overly aggressive is a good way to die.

When hard spotting (not shooting, just spotting) remember that every time you shoot you cut disguise by 15% and every notch higher on your throttle is like 3%. A DD sitting still and not shooting will be spotted about 500m less far than a moving, shooting one. At the same time, be ready to haul rear end in unpredictable turns should they close on you while spotting.

Smoke is your friend, make each use count.

Turning in a consistent circle is about as easy to hit as a straight line, you have to be as unpredictable as possible, but also learn to watch for the incoming fire. You can sometimes dodge it by slowing down or turning reactively.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 18, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Great advice, thanks.

I try to explore areas that don't have other friendly DDs around. I try to imagine a range 'bubble' around the BBs and cover flanks that might have enemies hiding. You know when everybody is doing their job because as soon as an enemy gets spotted they're vaporized by multiple ships concentrating their fire.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I feel like the crew abilities are pretty imbalanced. You have a wide gulf between must-have skills and skills that are borderline useless.

-Anything that boosts rate of fire, vision or Concealment seems really really good. Scouting is so important being able to see the enemy before they see you makes a huge difference in a battles outcome

-Flat speed boosts are excellent especially on slower vessels like BB and subs.

-Submarine and Carrier specific skills are also good, since these ships rarely shoot with guns.

- Most of the others seem rather situational. Better AA performance, faster steering and better accuracy when swerving around could help, but I don't think it'll really make much difference. Better durability for systems is also questionable because of repair kits.

I feel that if really situational abilities had bonuses proportional to how seldom they come up it would be more worth it and feel like an ace in the hole.

Ships like DDs gotta wear a lot of hats in this game and I feel like trying to spec one to say be a dedicated sub chaser or AA Picket Ship congress at too much of a cost to more critical functions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thank you, Growth Plan Free EXP, for letting me skip the Emden.

Konigsberg 1927 is actually p. good.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
These events are pretty good!

:20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Actually playing it more the Konigsberg 1927 owns like hell and bullies DDs all day.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

Thank you, Growth Plan Free EXP, for letting me skip the Emden.

Konigsberg 1927 is actually p. good.

Pretty much all the German lines have a couple of REALLY bad ships just before the good ones. The BB line is the same, except that every ship is poo poo until tier 7.

That Kongsberg is a good ship.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I almost felt bad.

But it made up for the terrible game I had before where the CA on my team hid 300m behind me all game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stanley Pain posted:

That Kongsberg is a good ship.

It's basically like having a cross between a light cruiser and a pensacola. The bullets move fast, have great range, and when I load HE I can dunk all over DDs, AP can pierce anything lighter than a BB and hurt BBs if I aim carefully.

The torpedoes aren't bad, either, but using torpedoes on a CL is a secondary thing at best.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I'm getting the hang of torpedo bombing and can wreck the occasional BB that isn't paying attention. But dive bombers are tricky and either they scatter or just fail to penetrate.

And fighters take a TON of micromanagement. They don't seem to be able to cover an area on their own very well. I'll try setting waypoints to see if that helps.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Danann posted:

Friday and Sunday are the days for 5v5 battles.

I thought it was on Tuesday?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Little Abigail posted:

I thought it was on Tuesday?

Checking ingame, 5v5s are Thursdays and Sundays. Fleet Battles are Tuesdays and Saturdays. Mondays and Fridays is the Overlord (aka Super KitKats day) event.

Griz
May 21, 2001

27k damage in a Nevada on a really bad super kitakami and he got mad enough to send me a tell afterwards. most of this was secondaries at 3km as he drove in a straight line failing to torp anyone, plus 2 full volleys of main gun when he got stuck on an island and quickload nazi was ready.

saw him later in regular games and killed his Japanese sub by shooting something that exploded him down to 100 health and then ramming him with a destroyer

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I ran into 4 Royal Navy guys in a group while playing with one of my friends, and they were extremely Royal Navy. Killed their DD with the Konigsburg, escaped their BBs trying to dunk me in revenge, killed more DDs, then moved up and managed to gently caress up one of their Ises while my buddy dunked their Repulse, then blew up their carrier. Not a single one of them got a kill and I took under 1000 damage fighting all four of them.

Those guys are powerfully bad. How the hell are they so high on the ranking chart? RN drivers are mostly free kills in pubgames.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

I'm getting the hang of torpedo bombing and can wreck the occasional BB that isn't paying attention. But dive bombers are tricky and either they scatter or just fail to penetrate.

And fighters take a TON of micromanagement. They don't seem to be able to cover an area on their own very well. I'll try setting waypoints to see if that helps.

Dive bombers are absolute poo poo, don't use them ever unless all your torpedo bombers have been destroyed. Even upgraded they just plain suck compared to torpedo bombers. I don't think you can set waypoints - fighters are kinda wonky and can only hit things in front of them, so if they are turning on their own away from hostile fighters they may not fire. This only gets worse against fighters that are higher level than yours.

Practice with torpedo bombers and get used to just how close you can issue drop orders (from where your planes are) without having them do a circle to do the drop. If you get good enough your planes don't even glide down to drop them in the water, they just sort of drop the torps from 1000 feet or something.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Griz posted:

27k damage in a Nevada on a really bad super kitakami and he got mad enough to send me a tell afterwards. most of this was secondaries at 3km as he drove in a straight line failing to torp anyone, plus 2 full volleys of main gun when he got stuck on an island and quickload nazi was ready.

saw him later in regular games and killed his Japanese sub by shooting something that exploded him down to 100 health and then ramming him with a destroyer

I love this guy, he uses the same line every single time he gets killed: "YOUR GUNS HIT THE EXACT SAME SPOTTT !!!!"

Night10194 posted:

Those guys are powerfully bad. How the hell are they so high on the ranking chart? RN drivers are mostly free kills in pubgames.

There are Dark Judge guys that are really awful too. If you have good carrier players with good crew, you can outspot any team that has those missing.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I agree being good with DDs is critical, though I'll admit I'm having a hard time scouting effectively without dying. It's hard to tell if I've been spotted until 3 BBs are all hitting me simultaneously, and I currently don't have any crew that boost vision either

Following what Mazz said, Kaspar Mass is absolutely amazing and is p. much a must have as a DD captain.

Night10194 posted:

Actually playing it more the Konigsberg 1927 owns like hell and bullies DDs all day.

Do you have Otto Autoloader - the reload speed captain? He does disgusting things on the 'berg - especially with that 10% reload equipment.

Pervis posted:

Dive bombers are absolute poo poo, don't use them ever unless all your torpedo bombers have been destroyed.

just set all of your available plane slots to t. bombers - dont even bother with dive bombers at all. you can do this under the maintenance button (where you change your ammo types)

Pervis posted:

I don't think you can set waypoints

hold b while assigning your plane's flightpath

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That Jerk Steve posted:

Do you have Otto Autoloader - the reload speed captain? He does disgusting things on the 'berg - especially with that 10% reload equipment.

Quickload Nazi is always a good idea and he did terrible things to that poor, helpless Atlanta I used him against.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Quickload Nazi is always a good idea and he did terrible things to that poor, helpless Atlanta I used him against.

Really, you can fill in anything for "Atlanta" and it's still true. Quickload Nazi is the best.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Pervis posted:

Dive bombers are absolute poo poo, don't use them ever unless all your torpedo bombers have been destroyed. Even upgraded they just plain suck compared to torpedo bombers. I don't think you can set waypoints - fighters are kinda wonky and can only hit things in front of them, so if they are turning on their own away from hostile fighters they may not fire. This only gets worse against fighters that are higher level than yours.

Practice with torpedo bombers and get used to just how close you can issue drop orders (from where your planes are) without having them do a circle to do the drop. If you get good enough your planes don't even glide down to drop them in the water, they just sort of drop the torps from 1000 feet or something.

Are dive bombers really that bad? They at least do more damage than WoWS dive bombers when they hit.

I think the problem is that AA is much more dangerous in this game and so having to fly right up to enemy ships is dangerous. As most ships level up the number and strength of AA guns really starts increasing as well.

Is a planes dodge rate vs the automatic 20mm fire?

I might decide to Concentrate on gitting gud with carriers, since it sounds like a really good carrier can make a big difference.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

Are dive bombers really that bad? They at least do more damage than WoWS dive bombers when they hit.

I think the problem is that AA is much more dangerous in this game and so having to fly right up to enemy ships is dangerous. As most ships level up the number and strength of AA guns really starts increasing as well.

Is a planes dodge rate vs the automatic 20mm fire?

I might decide to Concentrate on gitting gud with carriers, since it sounds like a really good carrier can make a big difference.

Dive bombers are really that bad. Perfect scenario hitting a hostile CV with a flight netted me ~450 damage (and the game ending in a draw), this is on a Wasp (t6). 4 torps does ~2500-3000 damage, and it's easier to hit and you can hit subs with them. Don't carry any dive bombers unless you are full on torp bombers and fighters.

AA is really dangerous but only the manually targeted stuff. Ideally you approach from a vector where they aren't expecting, aren't looking, and where you don't cross over destroyers or something that will spot your planes. On maps with terrain you can use the terrain to hide your approach, taking less direct approaches. Lead one or two flights of bombers with a flight of scouts (2-3) or fighters. Fighters are way more resilient so if you've got a pile of BB's on your team in firing position use fighters so you can continue to keep vision for them. Scouts scout a bit better, but not much, so at higher level play I use fighters. Having the leading flight of scouts die (and they will) does allow you to then launch another flight of something, but should only be leading by enough so that you drop torps on what you are going after shortly after they die. Also it's a decent plan to lead a flight of bombers with another flight of bombers who have already launched.

I think the dodge rate is vs every type of attack, including automatic.

A good CV can be fun, but it's more stressful play, as your punches have fairly long periods of time between them. You also have to keep an eye on your own ship positioning and maneuvering. Also buying out the first torpedo bomber upgrade with global XP is highly recommended. Sometimes you can carry the team...

and sometimes it doesn't matter. I had to redirect a wave of bombers to take out a BB that came in to vision of me and was dropping shells on me, so couldn't hit the guys who were capping the base. We would've lost anyways - too many destroyers left alive.

In general though if you play every class, you are vastly better prepared to counter that class. At least play CV up to tier 4, as tier 3 CV's are different than 4 and up. I had a shitload of fun in the Independence.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Tier 6 games in euro primetime is mostly 3v3 clusterfucks. Wish they would advertise this game a bit because it's honestly better than WoWs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My Ise BBV trip report is that it owns. Batttleship/Carrier is a lot better a combo than Light Cruiser/Carrier.

The best thing is using torpedo bombers in a battleship duel where he's tunnel visioned.

I am taking it to 5v5s and no one can stop me.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 19, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We must build our goon gimmick fleet, one stupid boat at a time.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Wtf is "High performance DC blast damage" on a commander?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

El_Molestadore posted:

Tier 6 games in euro primetime is mostly 3v3 clusterfucks. Wish they would advertise this game a bit because it's honestly better than WoWs.

Tier 6 is slowly getting better but it still sucks if you don't play in a platoon. You don't even wanna know what tier 8 is like.

El_Molestadore posted:

Wtf is "High performance DC blast damage" on a commander?

Depth charge blast damage, I assume, either that or damage radius. It's a poo poo skill either way.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mazz posted:

Tier 6 is slowly getting better but it still sucks if you don't play in a platoon. You don't even wanna know what tier 8 is like.

I get a lot of 3v3s in my Surcouf.

I regret nothing.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Here is an example of the aforementioned clusterfucks going on in euroland:

Torped and depth-charged the subs and capped as the Benson was off hiding. Noone fired a single shell.

Looked at the timers for event battles and they are going off at 3-5 am my time :sigh:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
lol, this was a x2

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Hello dunkfriend :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Can you guys give some gunnery lessons in fleet tonight? I'm getting 2 kills a match in my Nevada, and I think it's mostly because I'm missing shots. I stay a live well, but I have a tough time hitting DDs at range.

• Locked thread