Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
IIRC the giant spider in Bleak Falls is a unique enemy so it might not even be included in the spiders faction that I presume SPERG uses to make spiders friendly. Might be true of Nimhe too, who you have to kill as part of a quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Eric the Mauve posted:

At 85 Lockpicking, for some :psyduck: reason, you can buy a perk that makes spiders friendly, which is all kinds of hilarious

the teeth of that perk tree pick are all optional branches with their own theme. city burglary, torch-fu and special graverobbing stealth for bumbling fatties that can't hide for poo poo

the most baller feature of sperg is the fact that the perks aren't so fuckin' picky about what skill trees they sit in

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I was enjoying some of Ordinator's lockpicking perks. Took an early YOLO one that hides 5 statues in random locked chests which award a perk point and 15k gold each. Also like the traps line. Set up a tripwire (stealth perk) and bear trap, sniped at some vampires with a bow and watch as the survivor rushed up the stairs only to get tripped and land face-first in a bear trap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Eric the Mauve posted:

At 85 Lockpicking, for some :psyduck: reason, you can buy a perk that makes spiders friendly, which is all kinds of hilarious

Lock picking turned into "spend a lot of time in dungeons" just like how pickpocket turned into "get into fist fights"
One is rural criminal, the other is urban criminal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So my game now crashes within 30 seconds of loading.

In a general sense, is this fixable? I know specifics are complicated to communicate.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

dwarf74 posted:

So my game now crashes within 30 seconds of loading.

In a general sense, is this fixable? I know specifics are complicated to communicate.

If it "now" crashes every 30 seconds means you changed something and it started, then you should be able to fix it in some way. Check master dependencies and load order, that tends to be a good start.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Question re: Parallax Textures
If I am not using ENB for anything other than the memory fix, should I avoid parallax textures? I'm running an nVidia Geforce GTX 680M, and I've found ENB effects crush my framerate.

Question re: Mod Organizer logging into Nexus
MO fails to login to Nexus. I can login via the webpage just fine, but all of those nice "download with manager" links won't work. Is there a known issue with this? (Yes, I've quintuple-checked my username and password.)

Edited for clarity and readability.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 18, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuramor posted:

If it "now" crashes every 30 seconds means you changed something and it started, then you should be able to fix it in some way. Check master dependencies and load order, that tends to be a good start.
I haven't added or removed any mods... I'll verify load order tho....

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Question re: Parallax Textures
If I am not using ENB for anything other than the memory fix, should I avoid parallax textures? I'm running an nVidia Geforce GTX 680M, and I've found ENB effects crush my framerate.

Question re: Mod Organizer logging into Nexus
MO fails to login to Nexus. I can login via the webpage just fine, but all of those nice "download with manager" links won't work. Is there a known issue with this? (Yes, I've quintuple-checked my username and password.)

Edited for clarity and readability.

Make sure you're telling MO to pretend to be the most recent version of NMM. Should be on the same options screen as your username and password.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

then why not leave and come back when your skill is higher, or just accept that getting certain loot is part of what you give up when you invest your skill points in other things?

that isn't even difficult; it should just take a little time. it's certainly not "literally impossible".

I really feel like I already addressed this pretty thoroughly in my post, the part where I said I'm not inclined to visit the same dungeon/building twice in one playthrough and especially the part where I said it's just my opinion, but let me present this another way.

In Skyrim, if I try to take on a Dragon Priest alone when I'm level one and wearing prisoner rags, it probably won't go my way. He could take me out in one hit. If I'm really lucky and I dodge like a motherfucker, it might work out... but probably I've got a dirt nap in my immediate future. But I don't get a popup saying "you can't do this fight until you level up." It lets me try.

If I pick up a sword for the first time, I'm not going to be good at using it. My attacks will be slow and clumsy, won't do a lot of damage, and I'll run out of stamina pretty fast. It's going to be a while before I'm any good with that weapon. But I don't get a popup saying "you can't use this weapon until you level up your sword skill." It lets me try.

If, my first time in a city, I try to pick a Jarl's pocket in full view of his entourage, I'm probably going to get caught and thrown in jail and lose all my loot. But I don't get a popup saying "you can't pick this pocket yet." It lets me try.

If I try to pick a "master" lock when my skill level is at 15 and I've got 5 picks to my name, I'm most likely going to break all of them and be poo poo out of luck. But god dammit, it lets me try.

The way Skyrim works, you get to try and fail horribly at stuff, and that's how you get better at it. That's the most realistic, immersive part of the whole thing. Your chances of succeeding at anything are always a mixture of skill, luck, and level, and there's no hard cutoff between what you can and can't attempt. Some stuff really is too hard to do, but you don't get the game just telling you something is too hard. The actual difficulty of it is the limitation. There is no more realistic way to handle it!

If you feel like lockpicking is too easy, you could mod it so the picks are harder to find, or have less "health," or you start out at 0 lockpick skill, or any number of ways that make more sense than the old Fallout approach, which is stupid and not fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I really feel like I already addressed this pretty thoroughly in my post, the part where I said I'm not inclined to visit the same dungeon/building twice in one playthrough and especially the part where I said it's just my opinion, but let me present this another way.

In Skyrim, if I try to take on a Dragon Priest alone when I'm level one and wearing prisoner rags, it probably won't go my way. He could take me out in one hit. If I'm really lucky and I dodge like a motherfucker, it might work out... but probably I've got a dirt nap in my immediate future. But I don't get a popup saying "you can't do this fight until you level up." It lets me try.

If I pick up a sword for the first time, I'm not going to be good at using it. My attacks will be slow and clumsy, won't do a lot of damage, and I'll run out of stamina pretty fast. It's going to be a while before I'm any good with that weapon. But I don't get a popup saying "you can't use this weapon until you level up your sword skill." It lets me try.

If, my first time in a city, I try to pick a Jarl's pocket in full view of his entourage, I'm probably going to get caught and thrown in jail and lose all my loot. But I don't get a popup saying "you can't pick this pocket yet." It lets me try.

If I try to pick a "master" lock when my skill level is at 15 and I've got 5 picks to my name, I'm most likely going to break all of them and be poo poo out of luck. But god dammit, it lets me try.

The way Skyrim works, you get to try and fail horribly at stuff, and that's how you get better at it. That's the most realistic, immersive part of the whole thing. Your chances of succeeding at anything are always a mixture of skill, luck, and level, and there's no hard cutoff between what you can and can't attempt. Some stuff really is too hard to do, but you don't get the game just telling you something is too hard. The actual difficulty of it is the limitation. There is no more realistic way to handle it!

If you feel like lockpicking is too easy, you could mod it so the picks are harder to find, or have less "health," or you start out at 0 lockpick skill, or any number of ways that make more sense than the old Fallout approach, which is stupid and not fun.

I agree completely with this. I do love that, theoretically, you could open a high-level lock with your low-level skill.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Well said. This is, basically, why I keep coming back to the drat game, once a year.

Despite the shoddy campaign, the wooden characters, and the constant bugs, it's still one of the most engaging games I've played.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Well said. This is, basically, why I keep coming back to the drat game, once a year.

Despite the shoddy campaign, the wooden characters, and the constant bugs, it's still one of the most engaging games I've played.

I played a poo poo-ton of it on 360, and now I've finally decided to get it for PC. Man oh man... the mods... the goddamned mods :psyduck: (hence why I'm even reading this thread, now). It's like a brand new game, really.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

^^^ Welcome to skyrim 2.

Nexus is apparently having some server issues related to mod managers. NMM can't even start up right now and MO can't download mods with the "download with manager" button. Downloading manually works fine though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Ass_Burgerer posted:

^^^ Welcome to skyrim 2.

Nexus is apparently having some server issues related to mod managers. NMM can't even start up right now and MO can't download mods with the "download with manager" button. Downloading manually works fine though.

Thanks. This may explain my login from MO issues. I'll try again later.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've always downloaded and installed my mods manually. Have I been an idiot?

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

then why not leave and come back when your skill is higher, or just accept that getting certain loot is part of what you give up when you invest your skill points in other things?

that isn't even difficult; it should just take a little time. it's certainly not "literally impossible".

Requiem implements the "You must be X tall to ride" for lockpicking and it breaks Skyrim in half because the game has a disproportional amount of Adept locks... which you can't pick until you get to LEVEL 50 in lockpicking. You don't gain exp on a failure, so you literally get stymied at every turn because nine times out of ten, the lock will be Adept. I only ran across a handful of Novice difficulty in the wild and the ONLY beginner lock is in the Thieves' guild. It would have been great if it was what the designers intended, but obviously they didn't so you'd have to somehow manually change 90% of the locks in-game to anything other than Adept.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I've always downloaded and installed my mods manually. Have I been an idiot?

Kind of. Dowloading with manager is quick and easy.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Kind of. Dowloading with manager is quick and easy.
:shrug: Downloading & installing mods manually is also easy. And in my experience quicker then double checking afterwards if the automated install worked right.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
By not using a mod manager (ie. something that keeps track of what you're putting into the Data\ folder) can cause a number of headaches for you down the road if you ever need to troubleshoot crashes/nonsense later.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mod Organizer in particular has been a godsend. It looks a bit intimidating to start with, but trust me, take the (not very much) time needed to come to grips with it (though possibly not until Nexus sorts out whatever's going on with their servers). You won't regret it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mod Organizer is the first time I've actually used a mod manager and it's great.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Any kind of texture replacer or anything that's not just a simple esp becomes infinitely easier to work with using a program like mod organizer. For simple setups not using a manager or using NMM works okay.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Modding skyrim is never simple, though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

By not using a mod manager (ie. something that keeps track of what you're putting into the Data\ folder) can cause a number of headaches for you down the road if you ever need to troubleshoot crashes/nonsense later.
We're living in a post-MO era. What do you think I am? Some kind of savage who dumps all kinds of poo poo in his Data folder? I just don't have MO handle downloading & installing mods in its own. Though even before MO was a thing I never used fomods or bains because I would have double checked the installer's work anyway, but also because I like to know exactly what mod's loose files go where in order to prevent incompatibility-related headaches.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Is there a definitive guide to what mods to install: UI, textures, etc.?

The op is unwieldy.

Use case: Bought a new rig and want to have it blow my mind when playing Skyrim for the first time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

STEP probably.

Also, another good reason to use MO: Arthmoor hates MO.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Raygereio posted:

We're living in a post-MO era. What do you think I am? Some kind of savage who dumps all kinds of poo poo in his Data folder? I just don't have MO handle downloading & installing mods in its own. Though even before MO was a thing I never used fomods or bains because I would have double checked the installer's work anyway, but also because I like to know exactly what mod's loose files go where in order to prevent incompatibility-related headaches.

I don't understand what you're doing if it's neither "having [an organizer] install mods" nor "just dumping all kinds of poo poo in Data."

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

STEP probably.

Also, another good reason to use MO: Arthmoor hates MO.

Why?

Does he work on NMM?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Mod Organizer doesn't have enough oblivion gates in it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Can you recommend me some face mods (male and female) that make characters look better but doesn't turn them all into supermodels or anime characters?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Subyng posted:

Can you recommend me some face mods (male and female) that make characters look better but doesn't turn them all into supermodels or anime characters?

I like Total Character Makeover because it stays pretty close to vanilla but knocks a little of the ugly off. It does make everyone a little bit sameface but that's better than the extreme glamour look the other ones all seem to have.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Everything Burrito posted:

I like Total Character Makeover because it stays pretty close to vanilla but knocks a little of the ugly off. It does make everyone a little bit sameface but that's better than the extreme glamour look the other ones all seem to have.

drat, that is real nice and seems very comprehensive. I'm going to check it out.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

Why?
Does he work on NMM?
For some weird reason Arthmoor doesn't trust the virtual file system MO uses. When he first bitched about it, I recall thinking he came across as a old curmudgeon who just doesn't like chance and clings to his old, familiar Wrye Bash.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raygereio posted:

Arthmoor came across as a old curmudgeon

No need to precise the context further.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Raygereio posted:

For some weird reason Arthmoor doesn't trust the virtual file system MO uses. When he first bitched about it, I recall thinking he came across as a old curmudgeon who just doesn't like chance and clings to his old, familiar Wrye Bash.

Reminder that he seriously unironically believes that STEP is the marketing department of Mod Organizer, a free utility, because they replaced Wrye Bash with it in their guides.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Subyng posted:

Phoneposting, so no link, but I prefer Xenius Character Enhancements. It looks better, but maintains the aesthetics of vanilla.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Reminder that he seriously unironically believes that STEP is the marketing department of Mod Organizer, a free utility, because they replaced Wrye Bash with it in their guides.

My god... How can that guy be so talented and make so much popular mods and be such a nut?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Look at your username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I may have rear end burgers but I'm not crazy!

• Locked thread