Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
While i love hearing about min-maxing, as fan of RPG lore, I got to say. DD's lore is very interesting so far. The dragon seemingly to WANT you to take it on. "If you would face me?" The mysteries of the Pawns, and all of that. And that Fool, the pawn of the Dragonforged, brought up some cryptic but interesting points. Consider me intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
There's a lot of interesting things about the game world, some of which never get brought up but are explained in the art book. Like the origins of certain monster species.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i still wanna know why the gently caress you were originally supposed to visit the moon at some point during the development of the game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anyone who ever said that warrior is boring is a goddamn liar

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ShadowMar posted:

i still wanna know why the gently caress you were originally supposed to visit the moon at some point during the development of the game

"Why not?"

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

superstepa posted:

Golden Idol Spoilers: I have accidentally managed to send fournival to prison (got all the documents I thought I needed, but he was still pronounced guilty). Is there no way for me to get the real golden idol now? I just want madeleine to like me :(

there's always new game+!!!!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Trick Question posted:

Oh, well now I feel a bit dumb. I did get that item way earlier, though, which made that cutscene sort of odd.

Is new game+ automatically on hard or do I have to specifically make my new game on hard mode?

There's a lot of new stuff in the post-game. You should visit the Everfall again before going into NG+. Dive into the bottomless pit and aim for a ledge.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on max settings. Is there something I can turn down so buff spells don't make it impossible to see more than two feet in front of me at night? It's bad when you have to turn off your lantern to better see at night

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
For a support Mage Pawn, are there any particularly good debuff spells that they'll actually use effectively or should I give Grapnel and the like a pass?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Robo Reagan posted:

I'm on max settings. Is there something I can turn down so buff spells don't make it impossible to see more than two feet in front of me at night? It's bad when you have to turn off your lantern to better see at night

HDR to low.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I think Ur dragon is in the grace period if anyone cares.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Crooked Warden posted:

Time to run this sorcerer train on Ur-Dragon instead of drakes and wyverns. I've been doing it all day and it's absolutely gross.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

The Crooked Warden posted:

neat

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Please tell me your pawn is named Josh.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Johnny Joestar posted:

anyone who ever said that warrior is boring is a goddamn liar

Yup. I'm zooming around with a giant sword and it's some :black101: RULES OF NAAATUUURE :black101: poo poo.

Team rocket blastin' the gently caress off :black101:

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone who got on the Dorgma train late and first fought the Ur-Dragon at something like generation mid-40s, that was hilarious.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man I can't decide between all these classes, they all seem great

Can someone tell me about some of the unique stuff Assassin has besides just being able to use a lot of Fighter and Strider stuff?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

Man I can't decide between all these classes, they all seem great

Can someone tell me about some of the unique stuff Assassin has besides just being able to use a lot of Fighter and Strider stuff?

I'm going to be trying out the Assassin tonight but the thing I wanted it for most (poisons) seems to be ridiculously weak and underpowered so now I dunno. They do get a bow skill that inflicts torpor though so I'm still gonna check 'em out. They get to stab in fun ways and do big monsters well with climbing to reach weak points.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's basically it, they have the biggest weapon variety of every hybrid class, so you can basically do whatever you want. IMO they don't have the best abilities of either Fighter or Strider, but they do have a lot of cool stuff.

It really bothers me that there isn't a matching pair of pants for the Abyssinal Set.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have tried with rogue, I like it. Then I tried with magic archer, I like it less because magic bows can't use special arrows and the big aiming circle is distracting or inelegant.
Then I tried assassin, but I can't tell what is going for it. It seems to depend on pawns for range damage?, so I am back at magic archer. The good thing is the crazy poo poo you unlocks further the vocation.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Magic Archer at max rank is basically like playing DMC, there's lights everywhere and I have no loving idea what's happening but I'm on fire and things are bouncing off walls but somehow things are dying

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ranger seems like a really crazy class if you have a good team of pawns. Just stand back and put 10shot arrows into loving everything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Does anybody know who this guy is? He attacked me during an Ogre Ambush, but only on one of the attempts. This was just before the lady-fort. On my first kill of the Ogre he didn't show, I died and had to re-fight the ogre and died several more times. On only one of the attempts, a long one where I was basically just letting the Pawns burn him down with fire spells, this guy comes out of nowhere and starts loving poo poo up! It felt like getting invaded in Dark Souls almost. Anyway, he killed me and he was nowhere to be found on the retry, we were on a narrow path too, nowhere to hide. Is tyhat like a secret component if ambush takes too long or you're idle?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Finally my lovely Goblin mage is coming together. :v:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Does anybody know who this guy is? He attacked me during an Ogre Ambush, but only on one of the attempts. This was just before the lady-fort. On my first kill of the Ogre he didn't show, I died and had to re-fight the ogre and died several more times. On only one of the attempts, a long one where I was basically just letting the Pawns burn him down with fire spells, this guy comes out of nowhere and starts loving poo poo up! It felt like getting invaded in Dark Souls almost. Anyway, he killed me and he was nowhere to be found on the retry, we were on a narrow path too, nowhere to hide. Is tyhat like a secret component if ambush takes too long or you're idle?

he just hangs out around there at night
i think he's just there as a 'eat poo poo' kind of encounter in the same way random super powerful bandits are

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Khanstant posted:

It's a fairly rare enemy called a Skeleton Lord. They're one of the few NPC Mystic Knights in the game.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah that's just a normal guy that appears in that area when it's dark. They're pretty tough.

The night is dark and full of terrors, yo.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Will this game help scratch the Souls itch until 3 comes out? I've heard it's somewhat similar fare.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
So the visors for plate armor helmets are actually movable, and your characters will put them down in combat, up when not in combat. That's the first time I've seen that in any game I think.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Will this game help scratch the Souls itch until 3 comes out? I've heard it's somewhat similar fare.
I'd say that they are not that similar, besides the fantasy trappings. On the upside though, I'd say that this game is far more fun than both Dark Souls 1 and 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

They share such minute similarities that this comparison continuing to exist to this day does DD way more harm than good. That isn't to say you won't like it, they're both way up there for me as character action RPGs, but it has its own merits.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I prefer dagger Assassin's move/skillset out of all the melee classes I've tried, but I have mostly stuck with it until now at level 40. The bow skills have everything you need AFAIK: Lyncean sight lets you shoot arrows like a semi-automatic sniper rifle, and the arrow burst is like an arrow assault rifle. These two kill everything of little consequence like goblins, wolves, etc. and Mighty Bend gives you a powerful shot for big monsters. Or you could use the 5 arrow burst with fire arrows to down flying monsters.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

I am a noob in DD, but heres my opinion:
If you play in normal, you will find everything too easy.
If you play in hard, you will find everything too easy, except the stuff that oneshot you, so unfair.
You will try to roll or jump to avoid some attacks, and still get hurt. DD combat is very good but is not exactly the same type of animal than DS.
The more similar combat to DD seems to be kingdoms of amalur.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Alabaster White posted:

It's not really.

They're both third person action RPGs in a fantasy setting but they are very different tonally, structurally, and in terms of moment to moment gameplay.

Dragon's Dogma is like an unholy union between DMC, Monster Hunter, Skyrim, and Shadow of the Colossus. Where Dark Souls is about methodically crawling through densely crafted setpiece environments and engaging in tense and mechanically tight combat encounters, Dragon's Dogma is about ripping across the countryside slaughtering goblins, throwing bandits off cliffs, and setting Griffons on fire while a j-rock anthem plays in your heart.

You might still like it because it's awesome, but probably not because of any Dark Souls parallel.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 19, 2016

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowMar posted:

Maybe one of the developers was really into Orlando Furioso?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

So the visors for plate armor helmets are actually movable, and your characters will put them down in combat, up when not in combat. That's the first time I've seen that in any game I think.

Similarly, some of the cowls/hoods have a facemask that's drawn up to cover most of your face during combat, but is pulled down when you're in a safe zone so you can actually talk to people without looking like a weirdo. It's a pretty neat detail.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Similarly, some of the cowls/hoods have a facemask that's drawn up to cover most of your face during combat, but is pulled down when you're in a safe zone so you can actually talk to people without looking like a weirdo. It's a pretty neat detail.

The Incognito Hood, for all your crazy rear end in a top hat on the go needs.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Octo1 posted:

Please don't make fun of them, they don't have depth perception.

I killed a Cyclops and it dropped two misshapen eyes. I want my money back Capcom :colbert:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, a proper sequel to Dragon's Dogma where the developers get the time to include the rest of the crazy poo poo they wanted for the first game would be awesome.

By the way, how do I view the artbook I got for preordering? I can't find it anywhere and it should be installed according the the DLC list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Should be in something like C:\games\Steam\steamapps\common\DDDA\#ARTBOOK