Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Are certain heroes just considered unusable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Philosopher King posted:

Are certain heroes just considered unusable?
Its more related to their potential to be farmed, the star system means you want ones that can be maxed out and if something is left at a 2* because the only way to get more shards is to pay more money then they'll never be as viable as a 7* F2P farmable.

Although of course you don't see certain characters like Ewok Scout past a point.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!
Just got into this the other day and really enjoying it so far. Bought the starter pack that had a 33% chance of Dooku and got him. Currently level 24 with Chewbaca, Dooku, Talia, Jedi Consular and Geonosian Soldier.

Need Allies, add me 649-769-582

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There's a new random starter pack? That's kind of neat.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?
OMG sooo many guys need a MK 8 Blastech Weapon for gear 8, sooo many keypads and prototype salvages

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Anyone notice they lowered the attempts of AGI, STR, INT challenges from 5 to 3?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Zotix posted:

Anyone notice they lowered the attempts of AGI, STR, INT challenges from 5 to 3?

I did my 5 today, are you sure you aren't confusing the attempts counter with the encounter count?

Metos posted:

Although of course you don't see certain characters like Ewok Scout past a point.

Hah! I ran into an ewok scout today in arena, in the mid 20's. The team also had Chewie on it, so it was like a 2 character handicap.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
I still see Ewok Scouts and some of the other attacker types showing up, especially in GW. I tend to focus them down because even though their skill set sucks, they still hit hard and gank an A-lister if you're not paying attention, thinking "I can wait one more turn before healing". Those drat Geonosian Soldiers are a pain, too, and some people have caught on and started leveling them up. They almost always go first, too. Ugh.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mezzanine posted:

I still see Ewok Scouts and some of the other attacker types showing up, especially in GW. I tend to focus them down because even though their skill set sucks, they still hit hard and gank an A-lister if you're not paying attention, thinking "I can wait one more turn before healing". Those drat Geonosian Soldiers are a pain, too, and some people have caught on and started leveling them up. They almost always go first, too. Ugh.

GS is actually a very good unit and lots of top teams use them, Ewoks.....not so much. Maybe next patch will give us an OP Wicket and Ewoks will run amok

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, Geonosian Soldier is legit, I can definitely see a real team comp of IG-88, HK-47, Poggle, Geonosian, + Healer (or just go all damage with IG-86).

Also, for my final arena battle on my new game, I went against a Chewie team that was about 1k stronger (like 8500 to 9500), pretty close to the same units (not that there's much diversity this early). It got down to Chewie vs. Chewie, and then the game timed out. On auto.

oops wrong forum posted:

GS is actually a very good unit and lots of top teams use them, Ewoks.....not so much. Maybe next patch will give us an OP Wicket and Ewoks will run amok

Well, Ewok Elder is really good. With another good Ewok, I could see a team coming together, especially because EE has a chance to increase the speed bar for all Ewoks.

Probably not though. Also, I opened Teebo the other day from a free pack. This game just wants to give me all the lovely 4* in free packs...(last one I got, about a week ago, was *needs to clear his throat*)

e: Whoops, Teebo is a 2*, and he may have the worst kit/optimization in the game. He's listed as a goddamn tank, but not only does he have 0 ways to taunt, but he also stealths himself. What the gently caress kind of tank has stealth?

Also, I just hit 60 and unlocked Vader. Now to level and gear another hero...except he's probably not worth it until he has at least another star, right?

e2:

Primaris posted:

Sorry I'm not as active on SomethingAwful here guys I stay in the Discord chat a lot to discuss this game so I forget about the forum. I've updated the OP with Malgrin's info. If someone would like to take over the OP let me know and I will close it and let you guys decide on a new one you can PM me and I will update as we go along.

Thanks for all this. One thing, if you get a chance, I put up a link to SWGoH Cantina, which was lost in the copy. I mean, it's easy enough to google, but I wouldn't want to discourage any really lazy goons.

e3: I just keep adding to this post....I did some more testing with Poe/GW/Arena, and I think I've discovered something that probably applies to both Tenacity and Potency. This shouldn't come as a surprise, but at 100%, you don't necessarily have immunity to debuffs. So far, against equal level teams (or lower level teams), I still haven't seen Poe get hit with a debuff. Ever. I mean, I've gone through one and a half GWs and a full day of Arena with him now. However, in GW, when I start getting higher level opponents, he does take debuffs, even though he's around 130%. So, my theory is that both Potency and Tenacity scale based on the level of your opponents. I don't really have any way to test this beyond just seeing if Poe ever gets a debuff against lower or equal level opponents (I'm guessing he's even immune at +1, but I'm not sure). If anyone else has a way to test either of these skills, chime in. Also, this is amazing against Sid, because he no longer makes me nervous. I actually generally don't even heal while Poe is alive, because I'm generally getting two waves of attacks in before he goes down, which gets me 1-2 kills. I'm now either going for a full offensive character (if there's an FOTP or RP/RT), or Lumi because she heals for a lot. Also, Poe's taunt + Sid's aoe can take an entire team to half, so if I wreck the healer, the game is over fast.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 19, 2016

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Malgrin posted:

Also, I just hit 60 and unlocked Vader. Now to level and gear another hero...except he's probably not worth it until he has at least another star, right?
Depends on whether your other A-Listers are 4*-5* (like me) or higher than that. I get plenty of use from him in GW.
- High HP to soak hits
- Grip -> Saber Throw is good for taking out Dooku or other counter-hitters
- Normal is completely unblockable against Jedis, although weak. Also skill locks fairly often.

He's not essential, but I keep him in my main GW team until I hit a rough spot. He's usually the first guy I swap out for a situational character.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I did it, I leveled and epic geared a 2* Jedi Knight Guardian.

I have no regrets

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I just realised that the arena servers are international but the rewards are given out each hour to players in a 6pm timezone.

it probably explains why the 7* Qui Gon/Poe/FOTP murder squads never end up sniping me for first place.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Kegslayer posted:

I just realised that the arena servers are international but the rewards are given out each hour to players in a 6pm timezone.

it probably explains why the 7* Qui Gon/Poe/FOTP murder squads never end up sniping me for first place.
Yeah as an Aussie I get beat up in ranks overnight when its American prime time but pretty much from when I wake up till my 6pm I won't get moved down at all. Its pretty cruisey even at <20.

Something I found funny was I went away camping for 9 days and when I got back I'd gone from 15 to 220, but the people I had to fight in the 200 range had much better geared/levelled guys than the top tier ones. Must've been people who spent time gearing up PvE and didn't do their arenas, or didn't just fight the most rank changing match every time since the start.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Mr. Neutron posted:

I did it, I leveled and epic geared a 2* Jedi Knight Guardian.

I have no regrets

Why not farm shards for him to max him out all the way? He's pretty decent with how quickly he can refresh abilities.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

randombattle posted:

Why not farm shards for him to max him out all the way? He's pretty decent with how quickly he can refresh abilities.

I plan to but they only drop in one hard mode battle and from cantina tokens which accumulate dreadfully slow, compared to GW and arena.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zotix posted:

Who the gently caress is first order tie pilot? Why is he the hardest hitting person in the history of Star Wars? This game makes no loving sense with its poo poo cuntery.

No episode 8 spoilers, please.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I think I need to drop out of top 100 in arena, the few extra gems and marks are not worth the difficulty increase of GW.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Yeah, it's why I can get rank 2 daily without effort. I'm assuming most of the other top teams don't play in my timezone. Either that or they lose to my team, or are content with a top 10 finish. The dude who always takes 1 gems to get first, so I will let him have that. But every now and again I'll snipe first to remind him that he has to gem daily to maintain it. Make him waste those gems :)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Finally sniped my way back into the top 50.

My Arena server sucks. Worst part is all of the Mol Eliza's I have to overcome just to hit 50+.

Sidious just hit purple gear tonight and I'm going to 6-star Lumi and Sid tomorrow, so I'm about to get a decent power bump. Maybe bitches will stop sniping me back to 89 every day.

What is up with all those Mol Eliza's? Bots?

And how does arena rank influence GW other than shipments=more power rating?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pimpmust posted:

What is up with all those Mol Eliza's? Bots?

And how does arena rank influence GW other than shipments=more power rating?

Mol Eliza is apparently the default player name.

As for GW, there's a dev active on Reddit:

quote:

Galactic War matchmaking is based on your Power and your performance in the Arena. Who you're matched against is relative to you. Irrespective of where we pull players from, they're determined based on your performance.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Well today was the first time since the change that GW was actually a loving challenge to complete.

I faced 5 back-to-back no tank, 1 or no healer, murder squads. I had to sacrifice the B team and the C team, and I still almost lost. The worst was a Luke, Lumi, Sid, Savage O, and Phasma team that just would not stop proccing extra attacks and focusing 1 character.

Thankfully, the last fight is almost always a loving softball for some reason.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

For GW, if you guys have Barriss, be sure to use her as your leader and never finish a level where she (or anyone else) is too low on health. Barriss is MVP when it comes to GW since everyone uses Kylo and Sid, apparently.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Malgrin posted:

Also, Poe's taunt + Sid's aoe can take an entire team to half, so if I wreck the healer, the game is over fast.

I do the same thing with Asajj, because she always swings last. Warm them up with Sheev, debuff with poe, wipe out with asajj.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Chilichimp posted:

Thankfully, the last fight is almost always a loving softball for some reason.

Because it's the only fight where you aren't trying to keep everyone alive and be conservative with cooldowns. You're able to just go balls-out and win.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

High Lord Elbow posted:

Because it's the only fight where you aren't trying to keep everyone alive and be conservative with cooldowns. You're able to just go balls-out and win.

Even beyond that, it's almost always not as bad as the previous 2 fights in terms of hero level.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

commish posted:

For GW, if you guys have Barriss, be sure to use her as your leader and never finish a level where she (or anyone else) is too low on health. Barriss is MVP when it comes to GW since everyone uses Kylo and Sid, apparently.

Yeah every GW for me so far has been a cakewalk with my Bronzium Barriss. Using Chewie / Barris / JC / Sid / Anakin, swapping out JC for Lumi or Anakin for another damage dealer as needed. Definitely need the two AOEs to remove Phasma's advantage, though, and sid for high-chance heal block. With my healing I generally just burn their tank down, their healers will blow their heals uselessly, Phasma advantages, then I Sid / Anakin AOE and burn everyone down.

Barriss's primary attack is very ability-point dependent, note. Some just add a 25% chance to do something, or increase a proc rate from 30 to 45%, etc. Barris' goes from 15% chance to do 3% healing to 30% to do 6% healing, which quadruples its effectiveness. At level 49 it heals for 600, which is half of a JC heal across the squad and synergies well with her major heal which leaves everyone a little damaged.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Finally got Luke, only at 3* so far. Was hoping I can trade out Darth Maul for him, but Luke doesn't do near enough damage yet. Will need another star and maybe another gear level I think. Going for Poe as well, but it's a slow slog with cantina shipments.

A question though, does the order that missions are in when looking for gear matter? If I need a +250 health thingy or whatever, and there's 3 missions that reward them, do all missions have equal chance or do the first ones listed have a higher chance?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Sjonkel posted:

Finally got Luke, only at 3* so far. Was hoping I can trade out Darth Maul for him, but Luke doesn't do near enough damage yet. Will need another star and maybe another gear level I think. Going for Poe as well, but it's a slow slog with cantina shipments.

Just got my Luke up to 5 stars about 30 minutes ago. I'd say he's worth it. Eventually he'll get the chance of a self-buff each turn that doubles his crit rate for two turns. Then, his primary attack applies a DoT and ups his attack bar for each crit and his secondary stuns and defense downs on crit.

He's got great attacking power normally, so his crits are going to be devastating. Put him on a Sid-led team for a boost to his crit rate and crit damage, and you'll be seeing him give enemies the Death Star treatment almost every turn.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Put him on a Sid-led team for a boost to his crit rate and crit damage, and you'll be seeing him give enemies the Death Star treatment almost every turn.

I still really like running Luke lead, with Poe, because his tenacity is pretty ridiculous

Sjonkel posted:

A question though, does the order that missions are in when looking for gear matter? If I need a +250 health thingy or whatever, and there's 3 missions that reward them, do all missions have equal chance or do the first ones listed have a higher chance?

I think that it does, but without testing, I have no clue how you'd be sure. For example, there's the +speed item you need a bajillion of, I get at least a 3/4 droprate out of 3-C. I tried the higher level mission and got a much worse droprate out of it.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mr. Neutron posted:

Mol Eliza is apparently the default player name.

As for GW, there's a dev active on Reddit:

I seriously question this. I would agree that your power rating matters, but not Arena performance. Unlike guys like Zotix who get all 7* max FOTP Leia etc. teams, I tend to have fairly easy GWs, almost always cookie-cutter Sid/Lumi/Dooku teams, which while annoying are not the OP stuff high-level Arena teams use. My Arena team is around 20K and I place top 10 every single day, with top 5s about half of those times. If Arena performance really mattered I should be hitting those whale teams but have never encountered one. I THINK I may have fought a Poe once or twice, but no Qui-Gons, no Leias, no FOTPs.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

oops wrong forum posted:

I seriously question this. I would agree that your power rating matters, but not Arena performance. Unlike guys like Zotix who get all 7* max FOTP Leia etc. teams, I tend to have fairly easy GWs, almost always cookie-cutter Sid/Lumi/Dooku teams, which while annoying are not the OP stuff high-level Arena teams use. My Arena team is around 20K and I place top 10 every single day, with top 5s about half of those times. If Arena performance really mattered I should be hitting those whale teams but have never encountered one. I THINK I may have fought a Poe once or twice, but no Qui-Gons, no Leias, no FOTPs.

That's a dev quote so unless he's lying or misinformed, it's probably true. I tested it today and it seemed to work actually. I was halfway through GW, then I purpusefully dropped to 140ish in arena with a squad nearly 3k power less than my main and I got much weaker opponents for the second half of GW. Definitely worth it.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mr. Neutron posted:

That's a dev quote so unless he's lying or misinformed, it's probably true. I tested it today and it seemed to work actually. I was halfway through GW, then I purpusefully dropped to 140ish in arena with a squad nearly 3k power less than my main and I got much weaker opponents for the second half of GW. Definitely worth it.

The devs say things that end up not being true. One on the main forums said the RNG for GW wasn't predetermined and got blown out of the water by half the forum, and came back later and said he was wrong. And I thought the GW teams were all determined the moment you opened a GW?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

oops wrong forum posted:

The devs say things that end up not being true. One on the main forums said the RNG for GW wasn't predetermined and got blown out of the water by half the forum, and came back later and said he was wrong. And I thought the GW teams were all determined the moment you opened a GW?

I don't know. Like I said, I only tested it today, could have been a fluke.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't know what determines GW matchups but I've been very fortunate with my teams since they changed retreating. I"m still clearing one a day, I just don't ever change my team except to bring in fodder on the last round.

E: I tend to hover around 100 in Arena and just snipe someone in the 90s with a few minutes left each day. My group is pretty consistent from 130-90.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Mr. Neutron posted:

My experience with the GW has been that probably 80% of the time it hits a peak at the second-last Purple chest, with +7 level teams and bullshit combinations, then eases back down to a cruisey level for the last 3 fights with evens or even fights lower than you.

When I was first doing GW I assumed it was so that people could finish off with their B-team after losing a couple characters in the big fights, which seemed like a cool mechanic. Though once or twice its saved its bullshit fights for last and second last.

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013
All right so my Level 53 team is now:
6* Sidious (arena)
5* Luke (cantina)
5* Lumi (GW)
4* Poe (cantina ship)
3* Jawa

other notables:
4* Chewie
3* JC
2* IG86
2* Biggs
Daka is 36/80

Should I keep starring Luke or switch to JC so I can get rid of Jawa? Jawa really feels like a glass cannon in these later fights

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

planedriver posted:

All right so my Level 53 team is now:
6* Sidious (arena)
5* Luke (cantina)
5* Lumi (GW)
4* Poe (cantina ship)
3* Jawa

other notables:
4* Chewie
3* JC
2* IG86
2* Biggs
Daka is 36/80

Should I keep starring Luke or switch to JC so I can get rid of Jawa? Jawa really feels like a glass cannon in these later fights

That's a rough place to be in. Also, how did you get Sidious to 6 so fast? I only just got him to 6 and I'm level 60...

I would probably recommend doing the hard mode missions for JC, but keep farming cantina for Luke. He's just so ridiculous. I just got him to 6* too, and I can't imagine running GW or Arena without him.

I would also recommend continuing to level Poe. He gets really strong pretty fast, although I do understand wanting Daka so you can progress in dark side. It's a tough decision...but I think getting Poe to 5 is really drat worth it.

e: Thought about it for about a second longer, get JC to 4 and replace Jawa. It really won't take you long farming Cantina for him, especially if you're also doing hard mode...probably a couple days. 4* is only 30 shards.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

gently caress me. I need like 3 million credits and no way to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Zotix posted:

gently caress me. I need like 3 million credits and no way to get them.

Hahahah, I'm in this boat. I've got Lumi at 96 shards, and I'm like, where the gently caress am I going to find that million credits, while also trying to keep up with leveling my heroes...it's ridiculous. I think at 62, the bounty hunter mission gets a little better, but right now it's like 250k, three times a week, which is way less than what I get out of GW every single day, so...whatever.

The worst part is, you can't slow down, because if you do, you'll get behind in arena and GW. This game is REALLY good at making you think you need to spend more $$$.

• Locked thread