Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Stormangel posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018MQE2BQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=27SRC76JFFOVX&coliid=I5CAP0EH6DLBO&psc=1

These have been tested to be in compliance by Benson, the Google engineer who has been testing A to C cables.

Perfect. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
MarshMallow strikes again! I couldn't figure out why Hangouts would only use the default notification for SMS despite having changed it. After Googling it, it turns out that MarshMallow only prompts for permissions when an app tries to use that permission, and changing the notification tone apparently doesn't trigger the permission prompt. Thanks Google.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/01/18/htc-nexus-x-2-2016/

Obviously this is just a rumor right now, but having had someone in here who worked for HTC and posted constantly how lovely they are, would anyone buy an HTC-branded Nexus phone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

Obviously this is just a rumor right now, but having had someone in here who worked for HTC and posted constantly how lovely they are, would anyone buy an HTC-branded Nexus phone?

It's not like Nexus phones have been known for their build quality anyway.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had an N1 and thought "gee HTC did a good job with that, so I'll upgrade to this Thunderbolt."

Lesson learned.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mixed thoughts at best.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's not like Nexus phones have been known for their build quality anyway.

Oddly enough, I think the HTC-built Nexus One was the highest quality Nexus.

I'm not expecting that with the new HTC Nexus (if rumors are true).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Is HTC even going to be around long enough to make it? They're hemorrhaging money and employees.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HTC made some legit nice quality devices that were crippled by awful software, but that was then and this is now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Whizbang posted:

Is HTC even going to be around long enough to make it? They're hemorrhaging money and employees.

If they falter far enough along in the Nexus development process I could see Google Motoing them.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

FAUXTON posted:

HTC made some legit nice quality devices that were crippled by awful software, but that was then and this is now.

Sense was always my favorite out of the skinned devices. It was always as snappy as stock (M7 and beyond) but they just couldn't put together a full package. The GPE roms for the M7 and M8 made them awesome Nexus-like devices. All they had to do was get the camera right for the M8 but they messed that up, and again with the M9 which was also plagued by 810 throttling and heat issues. Their screens also started to lag behind the competition at that point as well. It's a shame because the devices themselves were great in terms of build quality and the feel in-hand, and the speakers are still the best on the market.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What happened to HTCs recent stuff? I haven't had one of their phones in awhile but it had an awesome metal chassis and Sense wasn't too obnoxious.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

The Gunslinger posted:

What happened to HTCs recent stuff? I haven't had one of their phones in awhile but it had an awesome metal chassis and Sense wasn't too obnoxious.

They made a million versions of the same phone without ever fixing the flaws it had and in some cases making it worse.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
So I think I'm having some withdrawal; I recently purchased a TMO iPhone 6S Plus about 3 months ago, but it's not doing it for me. Maybe it's because I'm not constantly tweaking on it, or something, but I've got an itch that's making me think about moving back to android; If I were to seriously consider it, what would you guys recommend as the phone (or should I just wait period if there are new phones on the horizon).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NerdsMcGee posted:

So I think I'm having some withdrawal; I recently purchased a TMO iPhone 6S Plus about 3 months ago, but it's not doing it for me. Maybe it's because I'm not constantly tweaking on it, or something, but I've got an itch that's making me think about moving back to android; If I were to seriously consider it, what would you guys recommend as the phone (or should I just wait period if there are new phones on the horizon).

Have you considered meth?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

2015 was a dark year for Android devices. I'm still rocking my Z3C with no regrets. I'd wait, personally.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Nexus 6P is fantastic and if you're coming from a 6S Plus it's not even going to feel huge.

There is only one thing I really don't like and that's the headphone jack being on the top - guess you can't have everything.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Unfortunately my options are limited to the phones T-Mobile has at the moment, simply because of using JUMP! On Demand to switch. Would it be a terrible idea to look at either a G4 or Standard S6?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

dissss posted:

The Nexus 6P is fantastic and if you're coming from a 6S Plus it's not even going to feel huge.

There is only one thing I really don't like and that's the headphone jack being on the top - guess you can't have everything.

It was a awful in every other way, but every time I take my phone out of my pocket, I miss my bottom-jacked Nexus S. It even had that weird bulge that make it easier to pull.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nice to see the streak of non-poo poo Nexus cameras will end at one. It'd be great to see HTC get back on their feet, but they've done nothing but shoot themselves in the foot the last few years.

NerdsMcGee posted:

Unfortunately my options are limited to the phones T-Mobile has at the moment, simply because of using JUMP! On Demand to switch. Would it be a terrible idea to look at either a G4 or Standard S6?

Both decent options, although both on the verge of being replaced by newer models. I'm not sure how Jump works, but the G4 has been selling for under $400 off-contract from T-Mobile so you might be able to save some money that way.

Mooktastical posted:

2015 was a dark year for Android devices. I'm still rocking my Z3C with no regrets. I'd wait, personally.

Really? Most of the flagships were fairly great. Moto X Style/Pure, G4, S6, Note 5, LG V10. Not a bad phone in the bunch. Good Nexus phones as well. 2015 was the year that Android cameras not only caught up with Apple, but arguably surpassed them. The budget and midrange options are by far the best they've ever been as well. The Snapdragon 810 was the only major issue this year and that only affected a few phones, none of which would have probably been very good anyway (OnePlus2, HTC One M10).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

NerdsMcGee posted:

Sell the 6s+, buy a 6P?
Not sure I see the problem.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google should buy HTC and become the sole Android vendor.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
HTC Thunderbolt, never forget.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Your AT&T Nexuses would still have delayed updates.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NerdsMcGee posted:

Samsung should be announcing the S7 lineup pretty soon if you want to hold off.

I have an S6 edge and I love it, but if I could go back I'd get a S6 in a heartbeat because the edge part isn't really "game-changing".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

iPhone, Surface, Nexus/Pixel. gently caress third party. Leave Android open source and work with 3rd parties for accessory devices, but the phone really needs the integration.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Google will never do that because it's not the intention of Android.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, if Google were to do that, gently caress no to it being HTC. Maybe 7 years ago, but not HTC of today.

They would be better served by going to an ODM directly.

At the end of the day though, Google isn't all that great of a device designer. For every Chromecast and Nexus 6p, you have a Q, Nexus Player, or Pixel C.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 19, 2016

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Re: thread title. My Nexus 5 had the power button issues a bit around Christmas, but some fiddling held it at bay. Now it's back, and I can only make it stop temporarily, it almost always comes back after a couple of uses of the button, which is the only way to turn on the screen. Time to buy a 6p I guess.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

vyst posted:

I have an S6 edge and I love it, but if I could go back I'd get a S6 in a heartbeat because the edge part isn't really "game-changing".

I'm still happy with my choice of the Edge+ over the Note 5. No it's not game changing and it probably depends greatly on how much you value $50 but scrolling is super natural on the edge and the screen just looks cool.

But I'm a consumerist whore.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phosphine posted:

Re: thread title. My Nexus 5 had the power button issues a bit around Christmas, but some fiddling held it at bay. Now it's back, and I can only make it stop temporarily, it almost always comes back after a couple of uses of the button, which is the only way to turn on the screen. Time to buy a 6p I guess.
Hit it harder.

(But seriously, buying a 6P is also a good solution.)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Phosphine posted:

Download an app that turns the screen on with the gyro/light sensor.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Phosphine posted:

[/quote

[quote="uPen" post="455172789"]
Download an app that turns the screen on with the gyro/light sensor.

.. Or you could just turn on Settings -> Display -> Ambient Display?

If you are rooted, you could run a kernel that supports swipe2wake.

Edit: oh. I just checked my 5 and there isn't an ambient display option; forgot it didn't have the hardware for that :( Ignore me!!

Blitter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 19, 2016

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

This is my two and a half years old Nexus 5 after about one hour of listening to the podcasts through the variety of Bluetooth speakers. The phone is a garden variety Nexus 5 bought on Google Play store a few days after the model was released. The phone is not rooted, is fully updated to the latest Android release, doesn't run anything fancy.

Is this normal to lose a quarter of the battery charge in an hour doing nothing but streaming audio? Is the battery dying of old age?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ringu0 posted:

Is this normal to lose a quarter of the battery charge in an hour doing nothing but streaming audio? Is the battery dying of old age?

It's likely the latter. My Nexus 5, bought on day 1 but replaced by Google around day 180 has about the same performance two years later. Unfortunately, finding a genuine replacement battery online will be difficult at best. I'm hoping to hold out until next year's Nexuses but like you I'm finding that the battery's age may make that more difficult than it probably should be.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Generally if the blue bar for the thirstiest app/service/component doesn't reach all the way to the right, it means something Android isn't tracking is stealing all your juice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Dark One posted:

Generally if the blue bar for the thirstiest app/service/component doesn't reach all the way to the right, it means something Android isn't tracking is stealing all your juice.

That's kind of an odd thing to say.

It's pretty clear his battery is dying. No phones are going to have a good battery 2 1/2 years later.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
FYI, just lowered the price on the two Nexus 5xs I have up in SA-Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760519&perpage=40

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Got a Nexus 6p and is the Bluetooth been spotty over anybody else's earbuds? I knew about the Bluetooth over car stereos but I thought that was mostly due to car stereo BT being generally poo poo. Using a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/Tenqa-FIT-Bluetooth-Handsfree-Smartphones/dp/B00ED53MTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Perfect for me but I'm using Jabra devices for both headphones and the car interface.