Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah but the HRE is kind of a special case, historically. Also in-game that's just having "autonomous vassals" crown authority. It's different than losing control of a title completely.

The main thing about empires to me is that they aren't really any more difficult to manage than kingdoms. They used to be if you had vassal kings because of the opinion penalty, but they took that out for some reason (I guess they didn't want people to feel like they were forced to buy Charlemange for viceroyalties). Real historical empires were so rare because of the logistical issues in managing such huge territories and vastly different people within them. Except for the Mongols who basically just conquered a load of people and then essentially left them to their own devices so long as they acknowledged the khan as their leader (which I think is actually fairly well represented in-game now with the tributary system from Horse Lords). The Romans had a really good system of integrating conquered people as proper "Roman" citizens, and even they eventually split into two because managing such a vast empire was just impossible to do from Rome alone.

I honestly don't really know how I would make empires more interesting. I'd just like to see them be something that's a significant challenge to maintain - the game is called Crusader KINGS, not Crusader Emperors.

I think that's what's missing is communication lag. Historically empires were hard to govern because you just couldn't get a central authority to govern with the speed that humans lived at. CK2 effectively gives every ruler the internet and lets them govern with perfect information and instant feedback on intentions. You don't get governors of some out of the way kingdom raising an army that is "to fight barbarians" and suddenly have it come knocking on your door instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

:crossarms:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah but the HRE is kind of a special case, historically. Also in-game that's just having "autonomous vassals" crown authority. It's different than losing control of a title completely.

Point being, historically speaking, "holding a title" has always been a matter of perspective. How many unlanded and landed pretenders have there been in history?

For the sake of the game, and clarity, I don't think it's such a bad idea for a single county to possibly be an empire. It's a decent, abstract, representation of a emperor in exile, and I can't think of a better way to show that.

Edit: and yeah, ck2 will always be ahistorical until they somehow calculate in communication lag, and that sounds terribly unfun. In fact: representing the world as feudal beyond England and parts of France, is so far from the truth, that who cares about accuracy!

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 16, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Famethrowa posted:

Edit: and yeah, ck2 will always be ahistorical until they somehow calculate in communication lag, and that sounds terribly unfun. In fact: representing the world as feudal beyond England and parts of France, is so far from the truth, that who cares about accuracy!

I've heard this before but I don't know anywhere near enough about medieval history to understand it. What was going on outside England and France that wasn't feudalism as we typically think of it, and why do we think feudalism extended father than that?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I've heard this before but I don't know anywhere near enough about medieval history to understand it. What was going on outside England and France that wasn't feudalism as we typically think of it, and why do we think feudalism extended father than that?

A whole mess of things that don't neatly fit into a neat concept like "feudalism". The gist is as I understand it, is that only for brief periods of time (10th and 11th century) did England and by extension France have a centralized and rigid system, with legal support behind it, like you see in the old graphics.

Other areas had varying levels of Master-->Knight-->Serf relationships, but it wasn't consistent, and it varied greatly across Europe depending what year it was, and on how centralized the rule was. Most areas didn't have a powerful monarch like England, so very few relationships were writ in stone like England.

Feudalism as we know is a 18th century invention, and was more or less cemented in place by Marxist interpretations of history.

edit: not the best source, but an example of the Russian system. http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pages%5CF%5CE%5CFeudalism.htm

quote:

In Rus’ there were no formal contractual ties between prince and boyar. The landed estates of the boyars were not conditional fiefs, but allodial property (votchyny). Neither was there a hierarchy of noble titles. The grand princes of Kyiv, and later also senior regional princes, exercised authority over the minor appanage princes; but inasmuch as all the princes belonged to a single dynasty, the Riurykide dynasty, interprincely relations were conceptualized in familial rather than in feudal terms: as relations between father and son or between older and younger brother, rather than between suzerain and vassal

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 17, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Omnicarus posted:

I think that's what's missing is communication lag. Historically empires were hard to govern because you just couldn't get a central authority to govern with the speed that humans lived at. CK2 effectively gives every ruler the internet and lets them govern with perfect information and instant feedback on intentions. You don't get governors of some out of the way kingdom raising an army that is "to fight barbarians" and suddenly have it come knocking on your door instead.

Yeah, this is high on my wish list for the eventual CK3.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
CK2 starts chugging late game on my old laptop. I think some is CPU, but even when paused, it's stuttering a bit. Are there any settings or performance mods that can improve graphical FPS?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
You can delete fogofwar.dds in map/terrain and change your settings to this:

mapRenderingOptions=
{
draw_terrain=yes
draw_water=yes
draw_borders=yes
draw_trees=no
draw_rivers=no
draw_postfx=no
draw_sky=no
draw_bloom=no
draw_tooltips=yes
draw_hires_terrain=no
draw_citysprawl=no
}

There also used to be a flatmap mod, but i don't know if that's still around.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

GunnerJ posted:

There are quite a few places on the game map where even the most basic principles of what the game calls feudalism are inappropriate; for instance, places where the local governors were appointed by the court, rather than hereditary, like Byzantium (for most of the game's period). Byzantium is usually cited as the odd one out when talking about how applying feudalism to all of medieval Europe and the Islamic world is inaccurate (although a lot of the same complaints could be made about the Muslim world) - the Eastern Roman Empire was a highly-centralised oligarchic state where most of the power rested with noble families in Constantinople and/or army commanders (often from the Empire's fringes, like Armenia); the provincial nobles were quite often rather irrelevant, unless they were themselves army commanders or they had power bases in remote areas like the Anatolian highlands - i.e. places where it was difficult for Constantinople to exert its authority. So portraying the whole Empire with CK2's feudal system - in which the provincial nobles hold most of the power - is rather bizarre and ahistorical.

There are also odd situations that the feudal mechanics handle very poorly, like the joint Byzantine-Abbasid rule of Cyprus, which in game is handled by having one of Cyprus' two counties be ruled by an ERE vassal and the other by a vassal of the Caliph. This is absolutely not what the co-dominium of Cyprus in the early medieval period was like, but it's the closest one can really get within the game's governmental mechanics. Likewise, there's currently no real way to represent the strong parliamentary institutions that arose in the Iberian kingdoms over the course of the game, which were often significant brakes on the ambitions of the monarchs, although the upcoming expansion may change that. Those are just a few examples that I can think of.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Navarre had a king and no other noble titles at all.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Sin of Onan posted:

There are quite a few places on the game map where even the most basic principles of what the game calls feudalism are inappropriate; for instance, places where the local governors were appointed by the court, rather than hereditary, like Byzantium (for most of the game's period). Byzantium is usually cited as the odd one out when talking about how applying feudalism to all of medieval Europe and the Islamic world is inaccurate (although a lot of the same complaints could be made about the Muslim world) - the Eastern Roman Empire was a highly-centralised oligarchic state where most of the power rested with noble families in Constantinople and/or army commanders (often from the Empire's fringes, like Armenia); the provincial nobles were quite often rather irrelevant, unless they were themselves army commanders or they had power bases in remote areas like the Anatolian highlands - i.e. places where it was difficult for Constantinople to exert its authority. So portraying the whole Empire with CK2's feudal system - in which the provincial nobles hold most of the power - is rather bizarre and ahistorical.

I don't know whether Byzantium starts with Imperial Admin and Ducal Viceroys, but would that more accurately reflect them?

quote:

Likewise, there's currently no real way to represent the strong parliamentary institutions that arose in the Iberian kingdoms over the course of the game, which were often significant brakes on the ambitions of the monarchs, although the upcoming expansion may change that. Those are just a few examples that I can think of.

I'd really like to see whether the council options could be used to simulate something like the English Parliament, which started operating as something like a co-governing institution in the 1200s iirc.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 17, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

GunnerJ posted:

I'd really like to see whether the council options could be used to simulate something like the English Parliament, which started operating as something like a co-governing institution in the 1200s iirc.

Elective Monarchy is the closest to the English Parliament atm. But true, there was a lot more nuance to it and these options will quite likely simulate it moreso...

...or it's just as likely that this expansion will simulate the traditional monarchy institutions and factions better, and you'd need a whole new system to accurately model the British system.

Bah...ultimately, this is the point where I say: "gently caress historical accuracy." When people start demanding poo poo like lag-time for horse travel time, to carry your commands to and from your vassals, or this thing, or hell, all the dipshits that insist on how: "Nonono! Women's laws totes shouldn't exist in this game, since MEN were right at that point in history!" In the end, so long as it's a fun game, hits the major points of its subject matter spot on and properly leads you to similar priorities of that time (in this case, defending your bloodline and family through power), I don't give much of a poo poo as to everything being 100% accurate.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 17, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 17, 2018

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
A lot of the stuff I enjoy about CK2 comes from the historical inaccuracy. I think it's the same for most players, actually. That's why we all get excited when a screenshot of Cyprus-owned Norway or Slavic Spain shows up, right? Because this game is all about the batshit crazy things that come from scheming AI and the ripple-effect our actions have on the world.

That said, and I know it's pretty much the reverse of good game design, but I think this game could benefit from less information being given to the players. I shouldn't be able to tell that my vassal is a sadistic, scheming coward, should I? It's not like he'd brag about it at the feast - not unless he was a proud imbecile, at least. For a potential CK3, I think it would be great if other character's traits were obfuscated in some manner, or at least not as certain as in this game. Likewise, promoting commanders should come with a risk - sure, I could give command to my best general, but his dynasty has historically been at odds with my own. Maybe I should pick my son - he's an idiot, sure, but he won't march home and kill me. Probably. I especially shouldn't be able to see exactly how much someone (dis)likes me - not accurately, at least.

Things like that, where you can never be certain who your real friends are, never know who you can trust, would make the game feel more like the period it's set in as opposed to, like a fellow poster put it, every ruler having the internet.

I don't know. I'm not a game-designer. Adding in this level of uncertainty would probably be either too complex or too unfun, but I personally think it would be really cool.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

Bah...ultimately, this is the point where I say: "gently caress historical accuracy." When people start demanding poo poo like lag-time for horse travel time, to carry your commands to and from your vassals, or this thing, or hell, all the dipshits that insist on how: "Nonono! Women's laws totes shouldn't exist in this game, since MEN were right at that point in history!" In the end, so long as it's a fun game, hits the major points of its subject matter spot on and properly leads you to similar priorities of that time (in this case, defending your bloodline and family through power), I don't give much of a poo poo as to everything being 100% accurate.

I generally pretty much agree. I never understood the urge to accurately model the idiosyncrasies of the HRE or any other famous nation/kingdom/whatever. Down that road you realize there is no general model and they were all different in significant ways. For example I figure it's fine to model the HRE as an empire with elective monarchy. The only advantage to worrying about "accuracy" is if it introduces new and interesting gameplay options that can be generalized. I wouldn't want to just model the English Parliament, I'd want a model of something like how a Parliament works that any kingdom could end up with given AI choice or player-set goals.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Saith posted:

That said, and I know it's pretty much the reverse of good game design, but I think this game could benefit from less information being given to the players. I shouldn't be able to tell that my vassal is a sadistic, scheming coward, should I? It's not like he'd brag about it at the feast - not unless he was a proud imbecile, at least. For a potential CK3, I think it would be great if other character's traits were obfuscated in some manner, or at least not as certain as in this game. Likewise, promoting commanders should come with a risk - sure, I could give command to my best general, but his dynasty has historically been at odds with my own. Maybe I should pick my son - he's an idiot, sure, but he won't march home and kill me. Probably. I especially shouldn't be able to see exactly how much someone (dis)likes me - not accurately, at least.

Things like that, where you can never be certain who your real friends are, never know who you can trust, would make the game feel more like the period it's set in as opposed to, like a fellow poster put it, every ruler having the internet.

I don't know. I'm not a game-designer. Adding in this level of uncertainty would probably be either too complex or too unfun, but I personally think it would be really cool.

I do agree that information being that readily available is a pretty big simplification, that could be done away with to make things a lot more backstabby and uncertain for you.

But then...how would you accurately model the ability to discern these traits or opinions in characters outside your family (whom you'd probably manage to observe the traits moreso, if they lived with you)? There are deffo several interesting ways I can think of...let anyone that's stationed in your court have their traits revealed much faster, as time goes on, maybe since you see and observe them every day. Have your vassal traits be revealed a bit slower over time. Have said time go faster, if you're humbler and patient, and let it take longer for you to learn, if you happen to be wrothful and prideful. Maybe order your spy to find out every trait over a critically important character while your chancellor finds out their opinion about you for sure? And of course, when your character dies...all those traits get obfuscated somewhat again, as your successor probably didn't have his/her own intelligence on the same peeps as you did.

Still, a ton of ways all these suggestions can become spergy and unfun, but yeah...this all really sounds like it'd be something at the core of CK2's engine and...it'd probably take CK3 to implement something this comprehensive, true.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 17, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Abstract it as a function of Intrigue. You have a rough estimate of various character stats (like, "Martial: 12-18") that are more accurate the higher your Intrigue, same for things like their troop numbers and finances, and various traits are only "visible" as a function of Intrigue, distance, relationship, etc. with the more "negative" traits better hidden. The Intrigue focus "spy on character" would actually give you a chance to discover "dirty secret" traits that by default always seem to be treated as matters of public record. Like, wouldn't being gay be something medieval noblemen would keep secret? That you'd only find out through some degree of investigation?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
loving with the stat information displayed is bad and dumb hth

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

verbal enema posted:

Seriously, all these proposals sound super unfun. I want to see when some paranoid lunatic dwarf usurps the kingdom of France from the Karlings, that's a part of what makes CK2 so great.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Torrannor posted:

Seriously, all these proposals sound super unfun. I want to see when some paranoid lunatic dwarf usurps the kingdom of France from the Karlings, that's a part of what makes CK2 so great.

Yeah. I suppose it could just as easily be that "sounds great in your head, horrible in practice" things. Best just to wait for Conclave, and see what it does. If it ups the intrigue and political stuff sufficiently enough, I doubt much else would really be needed.

I guess this is what one does, when they're anticipating something. They can't help but sperg while waiting over poo poo that probably won't ever be in anyway, because it's horrible.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Not knowing traits and stats would be cool in a much smaller game, with fewer characters (like if you wanted to do a game focused solely on the Wars of the Roses, for example), but trying to do it on the scale CKII has would be a mess.

EDIT: There's also the issue that AI behaviour looks less arbitrary when you can see the traits that influence it. If that's obscured, it just looks like the AI making random decisions, but if you're given that data, you read more sense into it than maybe really exists. It's counterintuitive, but exposing those under-the-hood numbers makes the game more immersive in practice.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 17, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

verbal enema posted:

It would be nice if it was based on difficulty level. Because I still don't understand what makes Easy easy. Also considering that the game is still balls hard on Easy as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Easy makes battles easier by giving your troops better moral and lowering the AI's troops morale, and it also increases your character's fertility.

Of course, high fertility under any kind of gavelkind is a mixed blessing.

I hope we get a new dev diary tomorrow, we didn't get one this week :(

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Is it possible to mod what the difficulties do? I'd like the easier battles without the increased fertility.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Abstract it as a function of Intrigue. You have a rough estimate of various character stats (like, "Martial: 12-18") that are more accurate the higher your Intrigue, same for things like their troop numbers and finances, and various traits are only "visible" as a function of Intrigue, distance, relationship, etc. with the more "negative" traits better hidden. The Intrigue focus "spy on character" would actually give you a chance to discover "dirty secret" traits that by default always seem to be treated as matters of public record. Like, wouldn't being gay be something medieval noblemen would keep secret? That you'd only find out through some degree of investigation?

I like this idea if it also lets you uncover "false" traits attributed through Vicious Rumours maluses

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It would be nice if it was based on difficulty level. Because I still don't understand what makes Easy easy. Also considering that the game is still balls hard on Easy as well.

According to the wiki, it affects warfare, giving the player some (dis)advantages in morale and levy reinforcement depending on level.

Also, as long as you're mucking about with stats, it should be Stewardship to know about the stats of people and places inside your realm.

EFB, but I have a source.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
And to finish the discussion, you can check common\static_modifiers.txt for the actual modifiers for each difficulty level:

code:
##########################################################################
# Difficulty Modifiers
##########################################################################

very_easy_player = {
	fertility = 0.5
	land_morale = 0.5
}

easy_player = {
	fertility = 0.25
	land_morale = 0.25
}

normal_player = {
}

hard_player = {
}

very_hard_player = {
	land_morale = -0.25
}

very_easy_ai = {
	land_morale = -0.25
}

easy_ai = {
}

normal_ai = {
}

hard_ai = {
	land_morale = 0.25
	global_tax_modifier = 0.1
	levy_reinforce_rate = 0.5
}

very_hard_ai = {
	land_morale = 0.5
	global_tax_modifier = 0.2
	levy_reinforce_rate = 1.0
}
That's a 50% and 25% bonus for fertility and land morale at Very Easy and Easy, respectively, and a 25% penalty on Hard and Very Hard for the player. Likewise, a 25% penalty for land morale for the AI on Very Easy, and a 25% and 50% bonus for morale on Hard and Very Hard, respectively, along with a 10% and 20% tax bonus and a 50% and 100% levy reinforcement rate (how fast your troops fill back up in your holdings).

Whether there are hardcoded differences in the AI within the engine code itself, I don't know.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 17, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Excelzior posted:

I like this idea if it also lets you uncover "false" traits attributed through Vicious Rumours maluses

That would be cool, even better if you have the Trusting trait which would make it even more difficult to determine what's real. What if when you have the cynical trait you gain info on people's stats that are lower than they actually are? CK3 is shaping up nicely, even if it's nothing but a fever dream that only exists in this thread.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Whether the king is a dwarf or gibbering crazy isn't quite like a vice that could ruin someone. Everyone would know if a crazy dwarf became a king, anyone would have a real good idea about the traits of rulers of neighboring kingdoms. It would just be good imo if some things were actual secrets or uncertain until you put some some effort or resources into discovering. "Gathering intel" isn't exactly a radical concept in strategy games.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 17, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Football Manager is an example of a game with tons of AI characters making lots and lots of decisions, but you can't see what's under the hood. It's incredibly annoying when decisions get made that hurt you but you can't see why. Stick with having it all on display.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Look, the point isn't for everything to be hidden and mysterious. But some things would be uncertain and some things a secret because knowledge is power. It's a game about intrigue and diplomacy as much as anything. Keeping secrets and telling lies and uncovering both can be a compelling challenge as a part of that.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I'm playing the latest version of After the End when I notice this in one of the optional mods.

quote:

After the End - Extra Empires Submod

Adds a decision to form the Empire of America, similar to the vanilla "Form HRE" decision.
* Must be in the Afro-Anglo, North Atlantic, South Anglo, or Amerodeutsch culture group.
* Must be Christian, Old World Cultist, or Reformed Pagan.

Adds additional "non canon" de jure empires to the blank portions of the map.

Unlike normal After the End empires, most of the empires in this submod have not historically existed in the lore of the game and have no basis in any sort of history in the real world.

I activate it and start as the Duke of Philadelphia but I'm only seeing a generic "found empire" decision, nothing about a "Empire of America" Am I doing something wrong?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Seriously. gently caress that, I want to know what is going on.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Nckdictator posted:

So, I'm playing the latest version of After the End when I notice this in one of the optional mods.

I activate it and start as the Duke of Philadelphia but I'm only seeing a generic "found empire" decision, nothing about a "Empire of America" Am I doing something wrong?

Looking at the decision i think you're only missing a realm size of 100 before you'll see the decision and the requirements.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

GunnerJ posted:

I don't know whether Byzantium starts with Imperial Admin and Ducal Viceroys, but would that more accurately reflect them?

Eh. The problem with the viceroy system is that you can only really give the viceroyalty to a local ruler, so it doesn't really take the focus off the provincial nobility; it just means you can swap the ducal title around among the local counts every generation or so.

Ideally I'd like imperial administration to play a little more like merchant republics, with a set of major families in the capital (with their own family palaces, so that you can continue to play them even when you don't have any land at that point) that you have to keep happy by grants of land and minor titles, or else they start trying to organise a palace coup against your family. So perhaps the county capital of the title in question would revert to the ruler on the holder's death/their term expiring, ready to be parcelled out to the next governor, with a severe limit on the amount of titles one can hold under an imperial administration in place (to compel the ruler to keep giving the titles away, rather than trying to hold onto them all). The job then falls to your provincial nobles/disloyal appointed governors to try and build up enough of a power base that they can essentially make their title feudal and resist your efforts to take it away and give it to your next appointee. Also, everyone with the Commander minor title automatically gets a non-inheritable claim to the throne, so that one of your generals can at any point decide to march on the capital and take the empire if they don't like you enough. But that's just my opinion, anyway.

Re. hidden traits: I would definitely be on board with this for non-physical traits. It is kind of absurd that you can't try to keep traits like Syphilitic, Homosexual, or Deceitful hidden when having them be public knowledge would be disastrous for your reputation in the medieval world. I'd also like to have the ability to hide one's religion, especially if one is a heretic; it seems like the logical thing to do when your beliefs are radically different from those of your Zealous persecutor monarch, and what's the point in that event where one of your courtiers accuses another one of being a heretic when you can just look at their profile and see what their religion is for yourself?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Back To 99 posted:

Looking at the decision i think you're only missing a realm size of 100 before you'll see the decision and the requirements.

Yeah, found it on the Paradox Forums

quote:

Yeah, it's an intrigue decision with several cultural, religious, and realm requirements.

It will not even be visible unless you have a realm size of 100, christian/oldworld cultist/reformed pagan religion, and afro-anglo/north atlantic/south anglo/amerodeutsch culture groups.

To actually activate the decision you need an empire title, a realm size of 250, prestige of 2500, full control of the kingdom of Columbia plus another nearby kingdom, a big pile of gold, and some more requirements that depend on your religion (Americanists and Evangelicals get a special way to form it by being the President or controlling the HCC).

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If I declare on the Pope to install my antipope, my tributaries won't declare on me, right? I know I can call them in to the war on my side but I just want to ensure that if I don't, they won't join the war against me. I'll be declaring war once I get home from work but I wanted to be sure once I pushed the button.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

papal wars can only be joined by direct allies of the Pope (and he usually has few to none, barring dynastic alliances or mercenary hires)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
New dev diary, and it is a big one!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/conclave-dev-diary-2-power-to-the-council.903120/

quote:

New
Greetings!

I know last year featured a lot of dev diaries with very little information about new features of the game. The reason for this was the lack of an announcement of the expansion and we had decided not to talk about the expansion before the announcement. All that has changed now and last week @Doomdark gave you an overview of the features we’ve added and the aim of the expansion.

This week we’re going to go a bit deeper into the new council mechanics.

@Groogy has written the following presentation of the council:

So to the meat of this expansion and my favorite part. The empowerment of the council. As we promised we were gonna let the council in on the day to day governing of your realm becoming more than simply a privy council. Now in fact the strongest vassals in your realm will threaten with civil war if they are not given a position where they can become part of your council and in turn giving them influence on the politics of your realm. Having them on the council prevents them from joining factions and as a liege you can use this to stabilize his/her realm. The councillor will adopt a certain position, these are the colorful icons you see, and this position will dictate how they align themselves with the decisions you take but we will cover that in a later dev diary.
1.jpg
Since King Alfonso is a paranoid guy and constantly in hiding, his realm is mostly ruled by his council...

The councillors can choose to either yay, nay or abstain from a vote. You also get a vote (always voting yes when you’re suggesting something) and your own vote decides in the case of a tie. The characters abstaining from a vote are always swayed by the distribution of diplomacy skill between the yay and nay sayers. Meaning that some highly influential members might turn the tide in a vote as they persuade the voters that have no opinion on the matter. If the council has a majority voting yes on an action, you’ll be free to take that action, but if the council votes against the action, you face the choice of either going against the council or do something else. Going against the council will make it discontent as you have broken the contract with them. Such action also incur tyranny and the council members become free to create and join factions again for a limited time.

For conclave we have also changed how regencies work and the old system with a single regent deciding everything is gone. Instead, If you are in a regency, the regent is put on the council and will vote instead of you and you don’t have the option of going against a council vote.

2.jpg

The council also have powers to vote on your laws and even propose that a vote shall be started on something they want by cashing in on a favor they might have with their liege. But we will cover the redone laws in the next dev diary as well.

Next up @Moah, our newest addition to the team, will explain some of the new tools you have to influence your council members and how you as a vassal can make your liege do things for you:

Hello everyone,

I’m @Moah and I joined Paradox and the CK2 team recently. I’m here today to talk about Favors. As you know, in the game relationships to other characters are important, especially family. But family, friendships and rivalries are not the only kind of relationships that exist. Sometimes you just do a favor for someone, and hope that somewhere down the line, they’ll return it.

And since in the CK2 timeline debts, honor and duty had such a huge impact, we’ve modelled that through a mechanic we cleverly called “favors”.

Getting Support on the Council

As a liege (or part of the council), you can call in a favor on a council member to make them vote like you on the council for one year. This can be used to get an ok to revoke that title you want, execute someone you want to see dead and start that war that you’ve longed for, but the killjoys of the council is constantly saying no to, without the hassle of tyranny and factions. If you don’t have a favor to call in, you can request support from a council member in exchange of a favor. They can turn this down, but if they accept they’ll vote just as if you called a favor on them. The difference is that now you owe them a favor. This is one of the basic generators of favors and a way that vassals gain favors on their lieges. As a liege you can often gain a favor by fulfilling the ambition of a vassal and everyone can accept a sum of money in exchange for a favor. When dealing with powerful lords, you can expect their price to be quite high however.

You can only owe someone at most one favor at a time, so if you already owe them, you’ll have to wait in requesting support again until they’ve used that favor to gain something back. Council members can also call favors on each other and a clever vassal can set up scenarios where they control how the council votes.

Forcing Acceptance

Say you’ve accepted to support your liege on the council, or you paid the emperor of the HRE a large sum of money and you want your investment to pay off. With a favor in hand you can make them accept a marriage (some limitations apply) and gain that Non-Aggression pact you’ve been longing for.

Invite to Court, Educate Child and the Embargo interactions can also use favors to force acceptance and as the liege you can use a favor to keep a character out of factions.

Building a Strong Faction

If you have favors from your fellow vassals, you can use those to get them to join your faction (if they are valid to join the faction) and since they’re bound by the favor, they cannot freely leave the faction.

Pressing a Claim

If your liege owes you a favor, you can use that favor to propose a war declaration where he/she presses one of your claims. In order to do this, the council needs to vote in favor of the war declaration. The liege can deny your proposition, but doing so incurs tyranny and makes the council discontent.

There are more uses of favors that will be presented along with their respective features, but these were some of the basic ones.

3.png

4.png

Now @rageair will walk you through another new feature, the Realm Peace and how it will help you bring order to the realm.

Realm Peace

5.jpg

Previously, your level of Crown Authority decided if vassals were allowed to declare war or not. As of Conclave we’ve replaced this system with a more intuitive one - Realm Peace. With Realm Peace the ruler, in accordance with the Council, decide when wars waged between your vassals have to end. Do you need to change your Succession Law but your vassals just won’t stop fighting? Is the precarious balance of power in your realm being shifted by warmongering vassals? Enforce Realm Peace to make them stop!

After pressing the Realm Peace button your vassals have 3 months before the peace takes effect, after which all wars will end with a white peace. The Peace is then enforced for 60 months before your vassals can declare any internal wars. A long cooldown ensures that you’ll only want to use this ability when it’s really important, and when playing as a vassal you won’t ever find yourself in a completely deadlocked position where you’re not able to attack at all any longer!

Favors and Realm Peace

As a vassal, you can use a favor on your liege to interact with realm peace in two ways. First, you can block your liege from using the Realm Peace or stop a pending Realm Peace from taking effect. This makes sure that you actually get time to win the war that you invested all your precious coin to hire those Swiss mercenaries to fight for you and don’t just end up with nothing gained and empty coffers.

Secondly, you can ask your liege to use the Realm Peace for you. This can be pretty handy when you’re working your way to power and your rivals decide it’s time to partition your lands and join those parts into their own lands.
6.png

That’s all for this week. Next week we’ll take a closer look at how council members vote, the new education system and how we’re turning feudal lords into small business owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
This looks like everything I've ever wanted out of CK2.

• Locked thread