Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't help because I just want to extol the virutes of Josuke ownership at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

That tie with the chains is really cool, and very subtle, I love it. Jotaro belts are also nice.

Also, does the "official" Kira tie do that thing where the pattern gets larger as the tie gets wider? That's what breaks the zazzle one for me.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Serperoth posted:

That tie with the chains is really cool, and very subtle, I love it. Jotaro belts are also nice.

I'd probably be willing to buy that tie at a reasonable price. Whether or not I could is another thing

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I'd probably be willing to buy that tie at a reasonable price. Whether or not I could is another thing

:agreed:, I'd spend 40 bucks on a cool tie that's subtle enough to be worn outside of "Look at my nerd tie" contexts.

And speaking of Cool JoJo Merch...

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000101479/?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=tw&_logitter_sns_id496801=2

Polnareff's earrings. 80 bucks, though, which my sources tell me is a lot for earrings.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Fig Chat: I went through a real long period of wanting to have all the main villains and their stands, but the Killer Queen arrived with an ear that was all chewed up (like my desk). it really sucked because you can pose it perfectly

It soured me on the medicos figures but I may cave and get that Jo2uke/Soft&Wet, that thing looks awesome. will also go nicely with the inevitable (i hope) SBR figures one day. i want every single one of those bastards.

regardless of what happens i'll always have my Combi

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gyro SAS is confirmed already and I think they're showing a prototype for him next month maybe?

Really unfortunate about your Killer Queen's ear though. :(

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's too bad, if you ordered D4C and it came with a chewed up ear, you could just roll with it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Gyro SAS is confirmed already and I think they're showing a prototype for him next month maybe?

I want a Funny Valentine before Election Day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So i'm reading the Rohan chapters, which have been great so far, and I got to the one with Tonio and, uh, no fishing allowed due to being Higashikata property? :stare: uh does this mean this is in SBR/JoJolion universe continuity?

edit: nvm ends with Okuyasu and everyone.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 16, 2016

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I haven't read JoJolion beyond the first few chapters so I can't comment on much else yet, but visually Josuke 2.0 is already a very cool-looking JoJo. The simple sailor outfit is actually probably my favourite JoJo-look.

Honorary mention to Jotaro "Screaming Middle-Age Crisis" Snakepants. Even Joseph aged more gracefully than that, you're just embarrassing your daughter in front of all her new prison friends.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/_mosse/status/688826606056550400

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is this a fetish thing?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I do not approve of this.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA6MMC12uDQ

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Oh poo poo I remember this

edit: found a shaky cam version of the french opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rim2OFSTSxE

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The true power of Diver Down.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm going to scream

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The power of the Wall Eyes is terrifying indeed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The catdog reboot by Araki is awesome.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

araki had to find some way to shoehorn rohan into the alt universe of jojo's

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://xn--qfusdo8o71s.seesaa.net/article/432744412.html

JoJolion #50 summary.

Flashback chapter for Kira, featuring young Kyo and Holy

e:
This chapters top page
http://i.imgur.com/J68wkMN.jpg

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 19, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did the new rohan thing ever get a good translation

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nope and JoJolion's primary translator apparently said he's not interested in translating Rohan one shots for reasons I don't believe were expanded on (not that he has to, of course) so it's just a waiting game of if/when the more part-time JoJo translators decide to pick it up. I guess JJCA's crew are probably busy with Vento when their translators have time to do JoJo stuff.

Though I choose to believe "top kek!" is how Araki wrote it.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
I stopped watching the anime halfway through season 3 for no real reason, then when I found out part 4 was confirmed, I watched the rest within a week, then started on the manga and finally got up to date. Then I read this thread and it was like reading the manga all over again. And now I am reading the manga again, because I read this thread and it clued me into things I missed. I especially loved that big character examination on Dio from forever ago.

When I was reading I kept my eyes out for this, but I never found it: Where the gently caress is the Kakyoin reincarnation/reference? Lots of characters got one, even Abdul (real sad he didn't last). I loving love that dude and I'm so sad his last vestige was in part 3. The closest I can think of is Norisuke, because Noriaki starts the same, and -suke is kind of like an ending to put on names. But he's not very Kakyoine at all, so it's a stretch on my part trying to see what I want to see. I just love Kakyoin so much. :(

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Yo, imma blob posted:

I just love Kakyoin so much. :(

He loves you too, mom. :(

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

Amgard posted:

He loves you too, mom. :(

:smith:

:unsmith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Yo, imma blob posted:

I just love Kakyoin so much. :(
same dude

I know this is hosed up to say, but....Polnareff should have died instead of Kakyoin. I know his arc is to get revenge for his sister and to do that, learn to rely on others along the way, but it's not like the DIO fight helped that along too much.. He could've died to find out the power of The World to save the team in return for Avdol and Iggy giving their lives to defeat Vanilla Ice, but I guess that would make Kakyoin's time in the second half of Egypt even lamer. Also, Polnareff knew what he was doing when he signed up for this trip. He was prepared to die to avenge his sister. Kakyoin just wanted to hang out with his first friends ever in his entire life and then he dies in Egypt in a water tower with a hole in his loving stomach thinking of his mom and dad who have no idea where their son is.

also Hierophant Green Requiem would've been crazy

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

Moltrey posted:

same dude

I know this is hosed up to say, but....Polnareff should have died instead of Kakyoin. I know his arc is to get revenge for his sister and to do that, learn to rely on others along the way, but it's not like the DIO fight helped that along too much.. He could've died to find out the power of The World to save the team in return for Avdol and Iggy giving their lives to defeat Vanilla Ice, but I guess that would make Kakyoin's time in the second half of Egypt even lamer. Also, Polnareff knew what he was doing when he signed up for this trip. He was prepared to die to avenge his sister. Kakyoin just wanted to hang out with his first friends ever in his entire life and then he dies in Egypt in a water tower with a hole in his loving stomach thinking of his mom and dad who have no idea where their son is.

also Hierophant Green Requiem would've been crazy

You know, as much as I love Polnareff, I agree. It's kind of tragic in its own way that he lives to go on without purpose and with so much death hanging over him. It would have been a cleaner end to have him fulfill his goal and die, or die trying to. Plus like, Kakyoin got some totally sweet scars and didn't even live long enough to brag about them to the friends he like, just made. I like the story as it is, of course, but I also have to wonder why Araki went in that direction and hope it's not just because it would be sadder that way.

I wonder if the reason Kakyoin resonates with a bunch of people on the internet is because of the "I lost years of my life to crippling depression and the isolation it brought" aspect. His character song strikes a real personal note for me at least. I love my dead gay rerorerorero son

Speaking of, was the last time Kakyoin's parents knew where he was when the "gas explosion" happened at the nurse's office?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kakyoin's death works really well. The awkward loner tragically laying down his life for the sake of his new friends makes for very powerful feels and the entire saga is JoJo is that of people heroically giving their lives for the greater good; in that sense Kakyoin is one of the most JoJo characters, his final Emerald Splash even mirror's Jonathan's Final Ripple, who similarly died after being sucker punched by Dio!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad Polnareff survived, but it is hosed up that he had to watch his boyfriend die twice in addition to their dog dying. not even accounting for all the other tragic stuff that happens to him later. it's hard for me to really imagine Kakyoin living though, because they tie up his end in an emotionally powerful way. plus i'd almost expect him to show up in all the other original universe parts.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't know how I'd feel if Polnareff died after two of his friends gave up their lives so that he could live on.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
If Kakyoin had lived instead of Polnareff I don't know if I could take seeing him crippled and alone at the end of part 5. Seeing Polnareff like that was jarring enough. Seeing broke-out-of-his-shell Kakyoin locked away again would be worse than just having him die how he did. For me at least.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kakyoin's end is way cooler than him just living I agree, I probably just fall into

Yo, imma blob posted:

people on the internet is because of the "I lost years of my life to crippling depression and the isolation it brought" aspect. His character song strikes a real personal note for me at least. I love my dead gay rerorerorero son

camp. Also I think it would be cool to see Polnareff, someone who initially refused any help to defeat J.Geil, decide to give his life to the group in order to figure out The World, but I suppose his fate in Part 5 kinda does that?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm really looking forward to the new chapter of jojolion

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The new JJL is going to be maximum hype. The summary is sensational.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
He's really amping it up now huh. I almost had a feeling we would get some *Awesome* moment whether its with Kira or Damo.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Kakyoin's death sucks and is annoying when Joseph is sorta just brought back with that ridiculous transfusion thing (note: Joseph may be my least favorite JoJo so that tempers my response) but just in terms of pure plot it was not only a foregone conclusion but kinda necessary.

Kakyoin's whole arc is coming into his own/redemption and that pretty much necessitates a standoff with DIO, knowing that DIO's way more powerful. Someone else said it in here recently but Kakyoin goes into that knowing he's going to get busted up; his objective is to prove his worth to himself and to the guy who twisted him around in the first place. Have him face DIO and win and it screws with Jotaro's path, have him face DIO with a group and it's robbing him of his face-to-face, and have him survive by not facing DIO at all and it's a major disservice to him and completely out of character. Kakyoin goes out in the best possible way for him: he comes up with something super clever (that works with about any Stand BUT DIO's), he shows DIO he's not going to be cowed by him, and he sacrifices himself to give Jotaro an edge.

Meanwhile, keeping Polnareff alive is vital because his arc's centered around quasi justice but honestly more like revenge, and if a character is going for the latter it's not supposed to go smoothly for him. Revenge is extremely messy and it comes at great personal cost, too. I kind of imagine that's why he'd keep working with Jotaro afterward, I don't think he has any idea what to do with himself other than hunt people down. Seeing him in Vento is really hard and his fate is also fairly loving awful but it's a pretty literal telling of what that sort of life does to you since it ends up physically breaking him down bit by bit.

Losing the sidekick(s) in that way is a pretty common trope for a reason: it works as a plot device. The notable JoJo exception also ends up working because sacrificing Okuyasu with Kira is kind of a waste, and I don't say that as a slight against Kira as a villain in general. Kira's just not the same sort of big bad that the others are supposed to be since his focus is self-preservation.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

note: Joseph may be my least favorite JoJo

what the gently caress

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Kakyoin's death sucks and is annoying when Joseph is sorta just brought back with that ridiculous transfusion thing (note: Joseph may be my least favorite JoJo so that tempers my response) but just in terms of pure plot it was not only a foregone conclusion but kinda necessary.

Kakyoin's whole arc is coming into his own/redemption and that pretty much necessitates a standoff with DIO, knowing that DIO's way more powerful. Someone else said it in here recently but Kakyoin goes into that knowing he's going to get busted up; his objective is to prove his worth to himself and to the guy who twisted him around in the first place. Have him face DIO and win and it screws with Jotaro's path, have him face DIO with a group and it's robbing him of his face-to-face, and have him survive by not facing DIO at all and it's a major disservice to him and completely out of character. Kakyoin goes out in the best possible way for him: he comes up with something super clever (that works with about any Stand BUT DIO's), he shows DIO he's not going to be cowed by him, and he sacrifices himself to give Jotaro an edge.

Meanwhile, keeping Polnareff alive is vital because his arc's centered around quasi justice but honestly more like revenge, and if a character is going for the latter it's not supposed to go smoothly for him. Revenge is extremely messy and it comes at great personal cost, too. I kind of imagine that's why he'd keep working with Jotaro afterward, I don't think he has any idea what to do with himself other than hunt people down. Seeing him in Vento is really hard and his fate is also fairly loving awful but it's a pretty literal telling of what that sort of life does to you since it ends up physically breaking him down bit by bit.

Losing the sidekick(s) in that way is a pretty common trope for a reason: it works as a plot device. The notable JoJo exception also ends up working because sacrificing Okuyasu with Kira is kind of a waste, and I don't say that as a slight against Kira as a villain in general. Kira's just not the same sort of big bad that the others are supposed to be since his focus is self-preservation.

This is a good post and I agree with your reading of Kakyoin but

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

(note: Joseph may be my least favorite JoJo so that tempers my response)

FirstAidKite posted:

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joseph is a lot better in SDC than BT but his best scene is saving Shizuka in DIU.

He'd be at the rear end end of my list too, which omits Giorno because of lovely translations. Second last over Jonathan.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 20, 2016